• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    It's not a dumb idea. It makes sense first off, and secondly it would be the perfect time to add this type. I don't care if it's "Far in the series" Pokemon is a constantly changing thing.

In fact, the Pokemon series in general is constantly Evolving...

Heh heh...

True though.
    It's not exactly smart though in my mind, and far from necessarily (along with every other new type suggested). Firstly the system is balanced as it is - new types were only added in 2nd gen because psychic was way overpowered - there is no such problem here though nowadays, and adding a new type is rather likely to imbalance things - which is something I wouldn't want to see tbh. It's not just a matter of tossing something new in like that... Claims that it'd show that they haven't run out of ideas seems rather silly as well to me tbqh - them reusing concepts is less them out of ideas than them knowing making similar games that still sell millions of copies every few years is easier and less risky for them from a marketing sense to try something completely new with the main series (the 'new' stuff is by other companies in spin-off games).

That and it could result in a change in mechanics (like Hidden Power which relies on types and all) and potentially a change to IVs and hence the game mechanics. Last time the game mechanics changed was from 2nd to 3rd gen, and that meant one couldn't trade between 2nd and 3rd gen. Not exactly a good thing.

Years
    the psychic type is sort of the opposite to dark already. and also, if they put in a light type,
    what would be strong against it? the only reason they added the dark and steel types in 2nd gen was to balance out the types.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I'm with the OP here. I think Light (and to a lesser extent Sound) would be great new types.

To those that are saying the game is balanced, so there's no need to change it - that's clearly not true, otherwise types like Bug, or Poison (Toxic aside), or Normal wouldn't be so scorned and underused. The only reason you're saying the game is "balanced" is because the commonly conceived "strong" types, like Ice or Fire or Dragon, are balanced against each other. But for there to be such stronger and weaker types, the game can't be totally balanced in the first place, by definition.

And to those that say the number of possibilities for Light-type Pokemon is limited - what a load of rubbish. How many fire-breathing pigs have you seen in real life? How many seals have you heard of that can spit beams of solid ice? How many creatures of ANY kind do you know of that have psychic powers?! You can't say that the Light type would be limited to only angels or candles, or else you'd have to say that Fire types would be limited to dragons - which don't even exist in the first place - and Electric types would have to be limited to lampshade- and toaster-shaped Pokemon.

Bring on Light- and Sound-type Pokemon, I say. It'll be a great way to shake up the series, and a great way to level the playing field by forcing metagamers and competitive players out of their comfort zones.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
    I think that the type chart is fine and it doesent need anything.
    And for the ones saying that we need light to opposite dark I think is covered by psychic:
    since genII psychic pokemon were gentle/pure looking: espeon, gardevoir line, chimeco, jirachi...So I say it is unecessary.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    Light type would be fine.
    The type chart can be arranged to put one or two new types without unbalancing the game. If you are talking about light and dark as good vs. bad, then they would be super-effective against each other, but if you are taking them as day vs. night, light should super-effective against dark, and dark not very effective against light. Darknessis the absence of light :).

Another thing I've been thinking of is that some attacks should be super effective against some pokemon, just because of what they do.
    It would be like:

Bellsprout fell apart!!!
    Farfetch'd used Cut ----- OR
    Tangela lost half of its vines!!!

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I think that the type chart is fine and it doesent need anything.
    And for the ones saying that we need light to opposite dark I think is covered by psychic:
    since genII psychic pokemon were gentle/pure looking: espeon, gardevoir line, chimeco, jirachi...So I say it is unecessary.

I agree but Gardevoir, chimecho, and jirachi are all Gen III.

: P

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Unlike the 2nd generation, new types for this generation isnt needed. They could toss in some new types, but that will kinda throw off the entire balance.

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    Light types cud b very cool and boss IF DUN RIGHT! I can't stress that enough. Like make light super effective against dark and poison, and dark/poison average against light. Angel type light Pkmn cud b win only if....again....DUN RIGHT!

I also reiterate my space type suggestion....

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I could see a couple older Pokemon being upgraded to a light type, such as those fire types that could be Light types, such as Ninetales, or Solrock, any of them.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    I could see a couple older Pokemon being upgraded to a light type, such as those fire types that could be Light types, such as Ninetales, or Solrock, any of them.

Yeah, also the Togepi and Chancey lines

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Is there an over-powered, broken-like type now? You could argue that dragons need another check, perhaps an immunity, thanks to the sheer power and ferocity they bring to the table with extremely powerful moves like Outrage and Draco Meteor. However, competitive players can keep dragons in check with ice beams and steel-types, so they don't reach the "I got my Alakazam out first, game over" calamity of Gen I. Besides, there are so many other items that help shutter down overpowered things anyway. Would it be interesting to see another type that scares or stuffs dragons? Not going to lie, yeah, but I don't think it's necessary is all.

When people saw the dark-type, they immediately jumped to assumptions like "they'll add more types!" Light-type was born, and we've been going on about this for years. I doubt we'll see it this time too. Also wow, people are even plugging in the overused and dried-up "running out of ideas" excuse for this topic as well? ... Sad.

BleuVII said:
    The only reason it's not superpowered is because there are so few pure Dark types.
    Though Vrai did address this, I'd like to expand. The reason it's not super-powered is because of all of our powerful fighting-types. They'd all love the introduction of more pure dark-types, they'd close combat them to the grave before they got a chance.

What hits dark-types in the gut is their piss-poor power attacks. Best one is 80 base, not that amazing in comparison to a Draco Meteor, huh? Although pursuit and sucker punch do have great effects, I'll give them that.

Tyranitar is arguably the mascot for dark-types, since it's the most powerful pokemon with that type. However, many other facts make it great, it's the movepool, brilliant stats, sp. def boost from the sand storm, etc.

Is light-type or anything else possible? Anything is.

Sammuthegreat said:
    To those that are saying the game is balanced, so there's no need to change it - that's clearly not true, otherwise types like Bug, or Poison (Toxic aside), or Normal wouldn't be so scorned and underused. The only reason you're saying the game is "balanced" is because the commonly conceived "strong" types, like Ice or Fire or Dragon, are balanced against each other.
    I agree that this game can't be balanced, but it can reach a point or form of stability.

Not every type or pokemon is meant to have a strong or even place in the metagame either, some things in this game aren't even meant for competitive play. (see Dunsparce) Normal-type has delivered in cuteness; bug-types are usually weak and our game-starting types, and poison-types have a home with evil teams.

Although, to be fair: Normal does have Blissey, Snorlax, and is a pretty good defensive type. Bug-types like Yanmega, Heracross, Forretress, and the popular Scizor..., Poison-types like Roserade suck up Toxic Spikes (despite you putting toxic off, poison does have an effective entry hazard) So underused, I can give you that, but they have their highlights and bright spots, for sure.

I'd rather not see new types as I'm satisfied with our current batch, but hey, I'm not in control of what those guys do. If they add some, I'll adapt.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    I'm with the OP here. I think Light (and to a lesser extent Sound) would be great new types.

To those that are saying the game is balanced, so there's no need to change it - that's clearly not true, otherwise types like Bug, or Poison (Toxic aside), or Normal wouldn't be so scorned and underused. The only reason you're saying the game is "balanced" is because the commonly conceived "strong" types, like Ice or Fire or Dragon, are balanced against each other. But for there to be such stronger and weaker types, the game can't be totally balanced in the first place, by definition.

And to those that say the number of possibilities for Light-type Pokemon is limited - what a load of rubbish. How many fire-breathing pigs have you seen in real life? How many seals have you heard of that can spit beams of solid ice? How many creatures of ANY kind do you know of that have psychic powers?! You can't say that the Light type would be limited to only angels or candles, or else you'd have to say that Fire types would be limited to dragons - which don't even exist in the first place - and Electric types would have to be limited to lampshade- and toaster-shaped Pokemon.

Bring on Light- and Sound-type Pokemon, I say. It'll be a great way to shake up the series, and a great way to level the playing field by forcing metagamers and competitive players out of their comfort zones.

Either you didn't play RBY or you haven't thought about what types mean enough...first of all Bug? Bug is a great typing! Bug type pokemon generally suck but that has more to do with stats and their type combinations (flying). The biggest thing that hurts Bug is Stealth Rock. Bug also happens to resist Grass, Fighting and Ground, two of which are fantastic resistances. Not to mention Steel is the only real reason it isn't a great attacking type. I mean it's super effective on Psychic, Grass and Dark and isn't resisted by anything that note worthy (besides Fighting) that isn't named Steel. It's pretty balanced. Steel just throws alot of things out of whack.

On first generation. The only Pokemon that could tackle Alakazam was Gengar but because of it's poison typing and inferiour speed it was also destroyed like every other pokemon as nothing, I repeat nothing resisted it. That's way more broken than anything we have now.

Now Normal, Normal is meant to be an average typing. It categorizes everything that can't categorize itself. It also has other ways of dealing with it's lack of super effective coverage.

~With 152 moves, the Normal-type has the most moves.
    ~There are 10 Normal-type moves with a power of 100 or more, more than any other elemental type.

This is normals purpose, to be the essence of diversity. It's lack of weaknesses and few resistances means that you can pair it with pretty much anything. Normal typed moves are often used in movesets to add ultimate coverage. It was never meant to be a high powered, or noticable typing.

And finally Poison, you have a very valid point. It's actually a fine defensive typing with only two weaknesses and four resists. The only problem is the ground weakness and the fact it has virtually nothing going for it offensively hurt it, and hurt it bad. I agree with you in the sense that Poison needs a face lift, but I'd suggest reworking the type chart to make it more effective on other things (Water maybe?) but not using a new type to fix it. Also on the quick note of Dragons, Ice types could gain a resistacne to them...

That being said as much as I'm against a light type I could live with it even though it's not prefferable. Sound on the other hand...seriously? Really? Every Pokemon can emit sound, the few moves that are sound wave focused are covered by Normal, the type that covers everything that can't be or doesn't have enough substance to cover itself. I.e. Sound.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    A new type is not needed, and the game isn't getting boring nor old, but you've gotta admit that new types, not necessarily light type, could be a grat addition to the game.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years

The game is balanced. Just because types are rare does not mean they're bad. And everyone saying that poison types are underrated, well, they are, but that's not going to be fixed by adding a light type. If you want poison to be stronger, give it a few more advantages, like over water, steel(maybe its already se to steel), and fighting. But again, just because you add a light type does not mean poison's getting better. Also, bug types rock. You say they're not used because they aren't good pokemon, but I think they're not used because most don't take the time to really realize their strength. I had a Yanmega, and it was one of my strongest. And no, seals don't spit out icebeams, but they live in cold climates. Fire pigs, no, but boars are very hot-blooded and aggressive, things that are associated with fire. No, pokemon is not a realistic game, but every connection, from types, to moves, to the pokemon themselves makes a fantasy connection to our current world, which is one of the ways pokemon differs from other games. Granted, they have to compromise some, so not every single pokemon has an obvious connection to its type, but if you want our friends over at game freak to sit there and go "OMGZES GAIZ I HAD THE BEST IDEA, WHUT IF WE MICKSED A COW WITH LITE THATD B SO KEWL OMG" you're realling just asking for a drop in creativity.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Alright, so I'm going to say something that I think might be on some people's mind.

It seems these games are highly focusing on Yin and Yang, White and Black, Light and Dark. This theme is shown throughout the current advertising and through Zoruak. Has anybody else realized that this would be the perfect oppurtunity to add the fan demanded Light type? I personally think that due to this theme they are exhibiting that there will be a Light type. Does anybody else agree?

Thank you for your time.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Sound would make a lot of sense to add, as would the Light Type.

Bunny69

Serious Buisness
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2010
    i think its a must, it would balance out dark, dragon,& steel which have become horribly imbalanced
    1: Steel is hit by Fighting, Fire, and Ground type, some of the most common attacking types.
    2: How is Dark out of balance?
    3: Dragon types I can agree with you somewhat; But the huge prescence of Ice type attacks kind of limits dragon.

Oh yeah, Physchic is already the opposite of the Dark type, as evidenced in Umbreon and Espeon..

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Just to add with the other guys.

The bug type, though underrated, is a fantastic type to use. They are one of the only two that hit a dark type for super-effectiveness. They also get to combat psychics nicely. Usually they're considered as garbage because of poor typing (Bug/Flying = rock overkill) but they are interesting and worth training. Every type has a crappy pokemon so don't bash the bugs for some crappy pokemon.

I still think there's no need for light types.

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    Just to add with the other guys.

The bug type, though underrated, is a fantastic type to use. They are one of the only two that hit a dark type for super-effectiveness. They also get to combat psychics nicely. Usually they're considered as garbage because of poor typing (Bug/Flying = rock overkill) but they are interesting and worth training. Every type has a crappy pokemon so don't bash the bugs for some crappy pokemon.

I still think there's no need for light types.

Whoa whoa, since when is bug effective against dark?

Bunny69

Serious Buisness
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2010
    Whoa whoa, since when is bug effective against dark?

Since Dark types were made, you can look It up.

I do agree that the Bug type is a good type, and it is very good offensivley. Though compared to every other type, the Bug type has the lowest stats, which is kind of disappointing...

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    *clears throat*

Hello everybody. Sorry for not being on this thread for a bit. I swear, Pokemon Black and White Threads are spreading faster than a Bellsprout using Growth.

I want to clear a few things up and tell you my points of view on an implementation of the Light Type. But there is one thing I want to make note of first.

Originally posted by .EJ
    Adding a light type is unnecessary and will probably cause imbalance in the game. That's the reason the dark and steel types were added; to balance it out. I'm sure we all remember when we played RBY and we all knew that having a Psychic type in your team meant utter obliteration to everybody else. I don't know about christom since he was around 1-2 years old when those games were out and couldn't play them haha.

Firstly, it is written as ChrisTom as I enjoy using capitalization to show professionalism. Secondly, I find that comment to be completely ageist. You're implying that due to my age I lack the ability to comprehend and understand the complex "Type Mathematics" that go into the game, as well as a lack of nostalgia for the original series. You fail to realize that I've been playing the games for quite some time(albeit not as long as you): 7 years. I've been into the grandiose wonder that is Pokemon since I was 4 and I first played at 6. My first and second Pokemon games were Gold and Red respectively. I've beaten Pokemon Red 4 times, Gold 5 times, FireRed once, Both Sapphire and Emerald once, Both Diamond and Pearl twice, and Heartgold once. I know these games back and front inside and out, so I do NOT take kindly to your comment.

Now moving on...

THE LIGHT TYPE

Keep in mind the following is entirely hypothetical.

I see several fans of the wonderous world of Pokemon intrigued about the concept of Light Type Pokemon. Most think that when I said what I did I implyed that I think that there MUST be a Light Type. I don't think that whatsoever. About 10 posters said the same thing: "I don't think a light type is neccesary". I agree. It ISN'T neccesarry, but it would be nice. I think it would be a great way to get rid of the rediculous power Dragon Types have (Ice being their only weakness is rather irritating) and to give Poison and Bug Types the power they deserve. It would obviously be effective on Dark Types.

Alot of you seem to not like the Steel type and hope that Light will destory it. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with Steel whatsoever. The type does have it's weaknesses and due to the minimal amount of Steel types I think it's ok. As Fighting Types have high Attack, and Electric Types have high Speed; Steel type has high Special Defense which is fine. Most Types work like that.

Now most of you seem concerned that the Light Type would be complicated/overpowering. This is not neccesarily true. The aforemention Poison and Bug Types as well as the Grass and Rock types would be Super-Effective, while Dark, Ghost and Water would be crippled. A very small amount of Pokemon would need to be changed (Lanturn and Ampharos specifically).

Here is what I think is the most important part of this debate: Will they even do it? I think absolutely yes. Considering the vast amount of themes involving Yin and Yang, and Light and Dark (For God's sake the games are called Black and White) that they will do it. I don't see a reason why not. It would be the perfect moment for GameFreak to add it. Fans have been wanting a new Type and have been speculating a "Light Type" since Generation II and my guess is that Satoshi Tajiri-Sensei will pull through and give the fans what they want.

If you have anymore questions about my theories and ideas about how the Light-Type would be implemented into the carefully thought out Type-Mathematics, please ask and I will get to you as soon as possible. I am looking forward to the new games and your opinions on what I have said. I wish you all good luck.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back