• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    I usually name them, either their last stage's name with sensible caps or an easy to think of nickname if I feel like it

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
    I like to name all of my Pokemon if I can.
    Engel (Gardevior) - Angel (German)
    Votma (Gardevior) - Embrace (Estonian)
    Iskal (Clyoster) - Ice Shell (Swedish)
    Erntear (Dusknoir) - Harvestor (German)
    Tumsinde (Drapion) - Dark Venom (Latvian)
    Desmond (Beartic) - asdf movie 2 (internet)
    Chuck Testa (Zoroark) - Internet Meme (Internet)
    Lia (Gothitelle) - Purple (Swedish)
    Demonio (Hydregion) - Demon (Italian)
    Anzuna (Chanalure) - (forgot what it meant, but I like the name)
    Lateres (Mienshao) - Brick (Latin)
    Izeren (Escavlaier) - Iron(Dutch)
    Puppe (Claydol) - Puppet (Swedish)
    Magiestern (Starmie) - Magic Star (German)
    Hjarta or Harta (Jynx) - Heart (Swedish)
    Baum(Eggexcutor) - Tree (German or Swedish)

I tend to give Pokemon names that are based around memes, or cool sounding words/phrases in other languages. If I were to put these up for trade and someone who speaks the language sees them, they will get very confused XD

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    the only one i nicknamed was back in ruby, which was a shiny siczor called Neo. idk how i got that name

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    [SIZE="a"]I nickname all of the Pokemon I use in my main team. I do nickname other Pokemon, but ones which I get for pokedex completion I don't nickname. Other Pokemon I usually do nickname them.[/SIZE]

Years
    In most games, I nickname about 25-30% of my Pokemon, just based on which ones I care to name or can think of a good name for. However, recently, with a couple of my monotype challenges, and with my Black and the White I just rented, I have nicknamed every single Pokemon on them. Obviously, over time, this affects the quality and originality of the nicknames, but there's something to be said for choosing names anyway.

I like when people nickname their Pokemon. It livens the game up and gives the Pokemon their own personalities, with somewhat of a reflection of the OT. One time on the GTS I got a Feebas with a dirty word as a name (I won't post it here for the adverse possibility of me getting banned or, at least, my post being removed); while a little immature, it was better than nothing.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    I sometimes nickname my pokemon. I nicknamed my first RNG. Growlithe named Fenrir.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm quite creative when I want to be but most of the time I can never think of nicknames as much as I'd like to. I've had some pretty decent ones in the past and I've got a full team of Pokémon all with nice nicknames on Pokémon Platinum.

Years
    The only things I ever nickname is my prized collection of Elgyems that I use for Synchronize's nature-passing onto wild Pokemon effect.

I give them all common names for originality and I choose the name based on its nature.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Whenever I start a new game I always nickname everything I get, but I always choose a theme to name things around. Eg on HG, everything is named after a fruit or spice (ran out of fruits!) and on Black, everything is named after someone I know. I partly do this for fun, but it's also good to think about what each Pokemon resembles/relates to, and it even helps to learn new things like new fruits. xD

Axiom

Seraphic
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2012
    I've always nicknamed my Pokemon. It's actually rather defective, because whenever I battle I can no longer stand using an un-nicknamed Pokemon, so I can't use ones I get off of the GTS or from events.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Not really, except if I have like a certain something with that Pokémon, for example when I'm catching junk and then one was extremely annoying, I'll call it like IRRITATE or something lol.

Years
    I caught a female Wingull in Black and nicknamed her Peeko. How original is that cos it's a tribute to the famous Wingull owned by Mr Briney.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I don't use nicknames. For example if I catch Magikarp, I don't give it a new nickname. I prefer original names.

Silence Rewritten

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
    Sometimes I let them go without nicknames, but usually I just skip the Pokémon that I'm not using and name the rest. It's usually just shortened versions of their names or their pre-evolved forms... My Empoleon is named Pippa, my Staraptor is Aero, my Luxray is Luxy, Leafeon is Eon, Rapidash is Blaze, and Lucario is Snap. See, just generic stuff like that. ^^ Nicknames are fun.

Back