• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Night & Day - Seasons

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
  • So the introduction of seasons is a pretty cool new feature in B/W.

However, with it came the removal of Day / Night. This means (to my knowledge), regardless the time of day, Pokemon will appear always at the same rate. There's no more "Morning-only" Pokemon, or "Night-only" Pokemon. There's just Pokemon. Same rate, same percentage.

Does anyone feel that it would've been neat to have a combination of both? Bird Pokemon like Pidove who appear only in morning / early aft', Woobat who would only appear at night (outside of caves), Munna who would only appear in evening and morning... Deerling who would appear more often at dawn, less often during the day, and never at night.

Then it could be combo'd. There'd be the basic rate, and then pending the season, it could go up or down. Deerling would appear less often at all times in Winter, but Spring-Autumn, would appear at the same rate as normal. Pidove would never appear in Winter, less often in Autumn, and more often in Spring/Summer.

Shaking grass could have also been affected by this. Times of day where Pokemon shouldn't appear, they would in the shaking grass at a small chance.

Perhaps due to having a limited Pokemon base in B/W (only the new Pokemon), they opted out of this, when they shouldn't have.

Do you think they should've kept both the systems, or is it better with one / the other? Why so? Just curious who else misses Night/Day.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I did wonder why Pokemon are available at all times.

I like the idea of Pidove being available during Morning and Day, and Munna at Evening and Night.

It reminds me of R/S/E days.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Well, I guess it would be a good addition. But, don't you think it would be much more confusing (for GF)? They would have to have morning, day, and night for all seasons, for all 156 new Pokemon, and others post-game (besides events).
    But I still would like it to make a comeback though. It was one of my favorite features of DPPt and HGSS.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • It wouldn't be all Pokemon - just the ones that make logical sense. Birds are sleeping at night. We don't see'em, so logically, we shouldn't be finding Pidoves or Tranquills at night-time in B/W.

It's not all Pokemon that would change. Just certain ones in regards to making it more referential to real life events, such as migration (which is why Tranquill is gone in Winter time and replaced by Vanillite), sleep patterns, etc.

Might be a couple dozen Pokemon that would've needed Night/Day edits. I don't think there are many pre-B/W Pokemon available after the Elite Four roaming around in fields, other than in swarms, and then that's covered just by being a swarm Pokemon and not a reliable spawn.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • It wouldn't be all Pokemon - just the ones that make logical sense. Birds are sleeping at night. We don't see'em, so logically, we shouldn't be finding Pidoves or Tranquills at night-time in B/W.

It's not all Pokemon that would change. Just certain ones in regards to making it more referential to real life events, such as migration (which is why Tranquill is gone in Winter time and replaced by Vanillite), sleep patterns, etc.

Might be a couple dozen Pokemon that would've needed Night/Day edits. I don't think there are many pre-B/W Pokemon available after the Elite Four roaming around in fields, other than in swarms, and then that's covered just by being a swarm Pokemon and not a reliable spawn.

Yeah, I guess I see your point. Anyway, they might add Day/Night for the 3rd Game, so looking forward to that.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i think it would be quite awesome if there was seasons as well as pokemon only available at day/night. but i think maybe they thought it would be to hard to keep track of all the times and seasons a pokemon would show up i know i would have to look it up if thats how it was.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • It might be more complicated, but more challenging, too, and that's what Pokemon needs because (personally) the games are aimed too much at beginners. For people who've played since R/B/Y, a good challenge after all these years would be nice, even if it is just toughening up catching Pokemon a bit.

*.*

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • It might be more complicated, but more challenging, too, and that's what Pokemon needs because (personally) the games are aimed too much at beginners. For people who've played since R/B/Y, a good challenge after all these years would be nice, even if it is just toughening up catching Pokemon a bit.

*.*

ya but for people like me who only play the games at a certain time of day it makes it kinda bothersome when certain pokemon can only be caught at a certain time of day. tho the challenge would be nice.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • You can change your DS time anyway, if it poses an issue for some people. That's what I did to get Chibchyuu thing on Route 7 earlier xD

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i know you can do that but it messes up things on ss/hg/d/p/pt such as events and other stuff and i dont like messing with the date/time. tho if some of the pokemon are still obtainable in like the rustling grass then i guess it would be ok. and it would add to the challenge. maybe the third game will include something like it. as long as there is a way to obtain pokemon no matter the time even if it is a 1% chance or so.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
    Years
  • I noticed that as well when I was looking through the Pokedex. It did really bum me out.
    I like seasons and everything, but the lack of importance on the time of day is a major fail.Hopefully they do combine them in a later game.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Yeah, they'd appear in shaking grass at a low chance. Maybe 5%, since that's popular with "rare" shaking-grass Pokemon (Leavanny, Cincinno).

If it's included in "Grey", I'll be buying the third game as well just because of that lol

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I didn't know that Pokemon were available based on their seasons alone. It's just weird seeing something like Noctowl and Golbat attacking you during the daytime, when they should be attacking you during the night.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    is there still night and day though, I mean with it turning dark after 6? or is it always sunny?

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Yeah, they'd appear in shaking grass at a low chance. Maybe 5%, since that's popular with "rare" shaking-grass Pokemon (Leavanny, Cincinno).

If it's included in "Grey", I'll be buying the third game as well just because of that lol

I was just about to mention the possible third game.
    I kinda liked this feature :) It made the Pokémon more real :) I mean, Ghost pokémon in the blinding light of day? Doesn't make sense.

After all these years, this one of the features that made capturing the Pokémon more challenging :)

Years
  • Yusshin, it's pretty obvious that bird Pokemon in Unova don't sleep.

Joking aside, I didn't find Night/Day as big of a change as Seasons. Hell, I wanted seasons before Night/Day. At least Seasons change some areas.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    It such a lose that gamefreak remove Night/Day pokemon cycle just to add another feature. It bores me to see the same pokemon all day along. True that night/day cycle add more challenge to people(those who not like to bother themself changing their ds time anyway), bot in catching pokemon or EV train their pokemon.

Years
  • So the introduction of seasons is a pretty cool new feature in B/W.

However, with it came the removal of Day / Night. This means (to my knowledge), regardless the time of day, Pokemon will appear always at the same rate. There's no more "Morning-only" Pokemon, or "Night-only" Pokemon. There's just Pokemon. Same rate, same percentage.

Does anyone feel that it would've been neat to have a combination of both? Bird Pokemon like Pidove who appear only in morning / early aft', Woobat who would only appear at night (outside of caves), Munna who would only appear in evening and morning... Deerling who would appear more often at dawn, less often during the day, and never at night.

Then it could be combo'd. There'd be the basic rate, and then pending the season, it could go up or down. Deerling would appear less often at all times in Winter, but Spring-Autumn, would appear at the same rate as normal. Pidove would never appear in Winter, less often in Autumn, and more often in Spring/Summer.

Shaking grass could have also been affected by this. Times of day where Pokemon shouldn't appear, they would in the shaking grass at a small chance.

Perhaps due to having a limited Pokemon base in B/W (only the new Pokemon), they opted out of this, when they shouldn't have.

Do you think they should've kept both the systems, or is it better with one / the other? Why so? Just curious who else misses Night/Day.

I don't know why they took it out, it made it that more realistic when you saw certain pokemon appearing more often at certain parts of the day. It always seems when they add something new, with things like day and night etc, they always seem to take something out and never combine the two.

Years
  • I really like the seasons! I don't mind that there is no change of Pokemon that you can find during time of day. I just like that it changes from day to night and that the seasons change.

Back