• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS discussion

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Imagine Pokemon battles in 3D....that would be awesome

I agree. Especially after seeing a Youtube video of a Japanese game for the DSi. From what I saw, it uses the built-in camera to make it that you can look into the screen in different directions.
    If this is done for the Nintendo 3DS, I would love to see a Pokémon game run in that fashion.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • 3DS? Next innovative stept or crude cliche?

Am I the only one that thinks the use of "3D" in a video game system is a not-so-great idea? Am I the only one that thought that 3D was silly and highly overrated when movies started using it?

I just don't see why I'd want this feature. Touch Screen was an awesome idea. But... I just don't see 3D being 1/100th as awesome. It also reeks of exploit. Am I the only one that fears that as soon as that thing comes out over 9000 games will be using that feature excessively?

I would personally appreciate a DS2 with a substantial hardware buff (As in, more than the minor-medium one the DS to DSi got) far more than a DS with... 3D

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Well, it's not really a "cliche", is it?

I would say you are assuming too much. You are assuming that 3D will be the console's only innovation - that is not confirmed. You are also assuming this is just another version of the DS, rather than a new console - that is not confirmed either. Perhaps you should wait until the 3DS is unveiled before criticizing it. Or better, wait until you actually own the console.

I try not to be a cynic. Even about Nintendo.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • I'm not really a fan of this whole 3D craze that is catching on. It just looks illy to me. If I wanted real 3D, I'd go outside.

I would like to see the DS be able to support better graphics, though.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Wellll... we know nothing about the platform yet really.

3D to me is neither innovative or cliche. It just exists. I like 3D. I like the extra layer of depth it adds. I don't care for things popping out at me, just the depth. Perception. I treat it just as a visual format. So...

Really it'd be as innovative or cliche in gaming as HD, which is neither.

xJordan360

plurfection.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2014
    I always viewed the 3DS as like a star wars style hologram game system, albeit, not quite so fuzzy and static-y. ;p

Dawn

Years
  • 3D as we know it is fake 3D though, not holograms like in Star wars.

When they say 3D, they're talking about the kind where you used to put on those nerdy glasses in a movie theatre.

Though, I hear there will be no eye-piece / glasses for the 3DS (thank goodness)

I'm pretty sure the name 3D suggests that it's main feature is the 3D, and DS, suggests that it is a sequel to the DS. I'd bet money that it is not it's own series of consoles.

Getting it out of the way that a bigger screen, nor better hardware would be innovative in any way shape or form, I am quite confident in having this discussion as is.

Also 3D is an age old fad that took a grip on movies for a while. It was an illusion that made it seem as if things on the screen had depth stretching outside the screen, to a limited degree of course.

I recall seeing movies that used it. There were scenes practically dedicated to the cheesy effect.

I'd definitely classify it as overrated , and it hasn't held very well either in the movie industry. It is however being re-applied to games suddenly.

Is there any reason to believe it will be any different for games? =/

I mean heck, I configured my old Nvidia card to use the 3D glasses effects in games once, and it made the games look worse if anything.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    When they say 3D, they're talking about the kind where you used to put on those nerdy glasses in a movie theatre.

They're not nerdy. 3D movies are the cool thing to watch right now.

I'm pretty sure the name 3D suggests that it's main feature is the 3D

The main feature of the DS wasn't the dual screen.

DS, suggests that it is a sequel to the DS. I'd bet money that it is not it's own series of consoles.

Game Boy Advance used the Game Boy name, and that was its own series of consoles.

Also 3D is an age old fad that took a grip on movies for a while.

Yes, but now it's the new big thing in cinema. All the big blockbuster movies use it.

it hasn't held very well either in the movie industry

I mean heck, I configured my old Nvidia card to use the 3D glasses effects in games once, and it made the games look worse if anything.

Now that's nerdy.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • I mean heck, I configured my old Nvidia card to use the 3D glasses effects in games once, and it made the games look worse if anything.

Because the games weren't meant to be viewed with 3D glasses? Things have to altered in a special way to make any sense with 3D glasses on.

This is the first step to having holo-chess and such like in Star Wars. Let it come; we all knew deep inside of ourselves that it would come eventually.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Uhm, by "3D", could they perhaps mean a tilt feature that shifts angles? I'm sorry I don't know a whole lot about an unreleased system, but it would be a whole lot more feasible to do that, now wouldn't it?

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
  • doubt it would be a big gimmick. its doesnt seem like its directly aimed at casual gamers anyway. if it turns out that its a big gimmick and they create incredibly annoying 'games' for the ds, then i will give up on nintendo as the ds was the only thing that was keeping me to them.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    I'm personally annoyed.

I just don't want another Virtual Boy on our hands.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Here is news about the 3DS:

3D can be turned off:
    In response to a question about the 3DS having an effect on kids, Iwata revealed that the 3D feature of the 3DS can be turned off.Said Iwata, "This isn't limited to just kids, but we're aware one in some tens of people, including adults, have difficulty with three dimensional visuals. So, while the 3D image is a special feature of the 3DS, we won't force the player to use the 3D functionality. By making it so that the player can at all times play with [the 3D feature] off, we believe we can comply with those who have difficulty with the 3D view or those who are worried about their childs' eyes.

Target audience:
    Someone suggested that the 3DS appears to target core gamers, going at odds with Nintendo's aim to expand the game population. "I see no foundation for that statement," responded Iwata. "We definitely do not feel that 3D targets heavy users. However, we have a feeling that, until you've seen something that makes you say 'Of course, when used like that, it's clearly a 3D game that anyone can play,' you can't be convinced, so we hope that you'll make the decision in the future when you've seen something solid."

3DS may not be the final name:
    Someone asked if "Nintendo 3DS" will remain the final name. Iwata responded, "We've said that it will be released during this term, so the announcement of the formal name will not be too far off."

https://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/11/iwata_qa_summary/

Dawn

Years

• Because the games weren't meant to be viewed with 3D glasses? Things have to altered in a special way to make any sense with 3D glasses on.

This is the first step to having holo-chess and such like in Star Wars. Let it come; we all knew deep inside of ourselves that it would come eventually.

I don't think non-expert's should be telling Nvidia whether their graphics card correctly alters a game o.O

Also, I think those hopes are way too high... I see the "3D" effect being an extremely primitive venture at holograms at best.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Well, I'm trying to make a 3D effect in Warioware DIY using Virtual Boy technology... (it hurts the eyes unless you are at 8 or 16x) it's going good.

Does the 3DS print money?
    Spoiler:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I'm personally annoyed.

I just don't want another Virtual Boy on our hands.
    Then you'll be glad to know that it will probably be portable and not require stand, display in colours other than red, and not be glued to your eye sockets.

Cause 3D is why the Virtual Boy was bad.

Back