• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo slowly digging it's own grave?

JustDutch101

JustDutch101
    Years
    Alright , first on. I liked Nintendo. Yes , liked (I'll explain). I grew up with Nintendo like all of us , I played the hell out of Pokemon. Yet I think Nintendo has gone a wrong way. I know there's alot of Nintendo fans on here (It's a pokemon forum , seems kinda obvious). But we all got to admit it is going wrong. Really wrong. There's a lot to explain so if you don't like to read or don't like other people their opinions , please click away. Sorry in advance for the grammar mistakes (english isn't my native , I tried my best)

Moneygrabbing

I've seen alot of moneygrabbing over at Ubisoft and EA. It frustrates me. Alot. DLC are just parts chopped out of the game instead of being worked on after release to extend the duration fo your games (Skyrim has actually done DLC very well). We all know they have been digging into your pockets ever since the first pokemon game (releasing a second game , same region but just some slight changes , very smart!) There's a certain amount of moneygrabbing people can take. Since so many companies are starting to make games purely to dig into your wallet , it starts to frustate more and more. This is why most people are just fed up. Another exampl of money grabbing? Their freaking youtube protocol. It's all out there.

Customer service

We are the kings. We are the buyers. You don't feed us , we feed you. If you buy a Wii U you're largely dependent on Nintendo and their games because it's mainly all you're gonna get. So yes , I understand why you're all defending them and beggin them , but they just take advantage of this and turned the table around. Remember , if any shop would treat you like walking money bags , you're just going to shop at another shop. It's the same with games. If fans actually get creative with their content and send ideas , you get a reply to 'trust their game developers'. No , no I don't trust them. Not at all. People have been asking for a Pokemon MMO for 5-7 years now? Where is it. Pokemon Generations should have been contacted by Nintendo and NIntendo should've said 'come on here , we're doing this big time. better graphics and everything'. Hell , even create your own MMO. No.. They didn't , don't or ever will. Well , at least make hacking more possible to help people create whatthe Pokecommunity has been asking for. No , because NIntendo sees them as their rivals. No Nintendo. These are YOUR fans creating what YOU didn't but YOUR community did ask for. At least you can treat al customers the same. The new pokemon mystery dungeon releases in europe 3-4 MONTHS after it releases in Japan. What. The. Hell. All customers world wide should be playing the game together within at most a week Nintendo.. Without your customers you would be broke , treat them better.

The Wii U

Nintendo only releases games on Wii U and the 3DS. Understandable they wouldn't make it for xbox or playstation , not even for PC. Problem is , the Wii U isn't capable of competing against the other consoles , then how are you going to compete against PC? I only bought a 3DS to play some Pokemon , I'm not interested in Zelda or Mario (besides from mario kart) or in any other Nintendo games. And I'm not the only one. If I would've thought the 3DS was just to expensive just to play Pokemon (it was 120 euro , not that big of a deal for pokemon) I would've been done with them and they couldn't sell me any game since I don't own a Wii U or 3DS. And there you've got maybe the biggest finanvial problem they would have to fear. The children these days just play on their dad's (or mom's) xbox , playstation or PC. Nintendo lost that battle a long time ago. They can't sel any of their games to them. 'No problem , they have 9.3 million Wii U players (I think?) that's enough'. Yes but more and more people are moving towards other consoles , this means the people capable of playing (and logically buying) their games keeps getting smaller and smaller. The 3DS is fine , there's no platform competing with them right there , but the Wii U is just losing. Big time.

The market and gaming in general has changed

We can all agree gaming has changed. 11 year olds aren't battling out on pokemon anymore , they are on our Battlefield servers swearing their asses of and not knowing what they are doing. While gaming used to be small ,something you did maybe an hour a day or a night a week with your family , now it's really big. Almost everyone played games , people are gaming all day and thousand of peoples start to get addicted. Younger people start to get more into it and start copying their big brothers or maybe even dads and move to battlefield/GTA on the age of 10 already (I wasn't even allowed to play GTA when I was 10). Nintendo does makes games that can seem a bit ínnocent as their main target is children and family's , but something has changed. there are no more real game-nights with family , children have moved on to more violent and'perhaps 'adult' games. Maybe it's a thing in society , who knows , but it's not good for Nintendo. When I myself was around the age of 12 I felt like the Wii wasn't good anymore. Then my friend bought an xbox 360 and I was amazed at how amazing some of these games were and that they were never going to get on the Wii. It's weird do describe because I myself don't know exactly what it is but we all know gaming has got bigger and has changed. Also I don't want to ship off Nintendo games or their players as childs or childish because that sin't true , I'm not trying to insult anyone. I myself still play alot of Pokemon and hacks etc on here but I think we can all agree Nintendo wasn't really marketing on the 16 to 32 year olds.

Character custimization

Alright , to be fair this is not only Nintendo's problem. Ubisoft has this aswell (but for Ubisoft there's no solid reason why). In order to make sense why you're saving the princess , in order to make sense why you're killing people in Paris , in order to make sense why I would want to shoot people I need to bond with my character. Sitting there , hating the way your character looks or just questioning why I would ever want to help this guy out is fatal for any game. Yes , when you buy a Mario game I shouldn't except to make my own character and I know this doesn't have to but being able to make your own character in X and Y was the actual right way to go. Ever since diamond and pearl I have been hating my character every generation (In Black 2 white 2 I actually rather was the rival because he was the only one to actually look cool). You may have liked it , I didn't. It makes the game a chore to play. Making a character everyone likes is hard , thats why character custimization is easy , people can just make the character they like. For many games , Nintendo should consider this (The Nintendo games I played never had any character custimization , I don't exactly know how they are doing with this right now).

Then how should it be done?

One big huge company out there is actually doing it right. Bethesda. Bethesda actually cares about their fans and the people who buy their games. They accept mods because it makes people get more joy out of their games. The DLC isn't chopped off , it's just some extra stuff they started working on after the release of the game. They don't want to make a game every year (Assassins creed got actually destroyed by doing this). They want to release an actual good game , worth it's money and amuse all gamers. They seem to be one of the few companies out there that actually still care about people enjoying their game. The way I see it , they are the real kings. They have won this E3 with Fallout 4 even before the E3 has started and when the next Elder Scrolls will come out they will win E3 without any doubt again. Great games with great motives.

But..

Too be fair , Nintendo is in a though spot. They can't release games on PC and other consoles (well they can but they will never want to. I think they'll rather go broke) but they just can't compete. I know this is weird , my advice? Stop with the consoles. Go on with the 3DS if you'd like but I think that if they don't strike back with a great console which should have great games for everyone right from the start to lure people in , Nintendo would get to far behind. Gaming on a console from Nintendo means you wouldn't get some of the best games but also you'd have to fully commit to Nintendo , to do so you need to choose for Nintendo over most of the other game companies. And after all that have happend and especially compared with their rivals , I don't think meany people can.

Remember I'm not trying to take a hit at Nintendo or try to insult people. NIntendo isn't the only company which is heading the wrong way but because alot of fanboys just stand before them screaming everything is okay and trying to defend everything they maybe started to think they are the kings of the gaming world? well they were but alot has happend and alot has changed. I love the Pokemon franchise and Mario Kart and wouldn't like to see Nintendo going down as much as we all wouldn't like to see it but I don't think NIntendo will be able to actually compete untill some big changes are made.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I'll just leave this here:

Nintendo slowly digging it's own grave?

People have been saying Nintendo is doomed since the N64 days, and before then, there were people criticizing Nintendo for the SNES not being able to play NES games. They have survived a lot worse (E3 2008), and they're still going strong since then. You're just being paranoid. They're one of the few companies who knows what they're doing, unlike most companies, whose recent games were rushed and are filled with unpolished and buggy presentations (Ex: AC Unity). They're also one of the few companies who's been using DLC correctly, because you can still finish their games without the use of them.

Yukari

They're also one of the few companies who's been using DLC correctly, because you can still finish their games without the use of them.

...So that's how you use DLC correctly?

I mean the skin packs that you can buy for I don't even know how many games aren't necessary to finish the games but it's still a shitty business practice since it's content that should have been in the game to being with.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    ...So that's how you use DLC correctly?

I mean the skin packs that you can buy for I don't even know how many games aren't necessary to finish the games but it's still a shitty business practice since it's content that should have been in the game to being with.
    Is it?

Not sure which games you're referring to, but I've yet to see a Nintendo published game that uses paid DLC that was planned before the game's release.

Yukari

Not sure which games you're referring to, but I've yet to see a Nintendo published game that uses paid DLC that was planned before the game's release.
    Splatoon? The Amiibo three pack thing. I mean sure that isn't "DLC" but content is still gated behind it and we knew about it before release so it was clearly planned before the game's release.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The new pokemon mystery dungeon releases in europe 3-4 MONTHS after it releases in Japan. What. The. Hell. All customers world wide should be playing the game together within at most a week Nintendo

That is often how it is with games. It's really a rarity afaik for companies to release a game in all regions at the same time. I do agree that all games on all systems should release at roughly the same time wordlwide, but localization ain't that easy usually.

But as for this part:
    The Wii U..It's horrible

Nintendo only releases games on Wii U and the 3DS. Understandable they wouldn't make it for xbox or playstation , not even for PC. Problem is , the Wii U isn't capable of competing against the other consoles , then how are you going to compete against PC? I only bought a 3DS to play some Pokemon , I'm not interested in Zelda or Mario (besides from mario kart) or in any other Nintendo games. And I'm not the only one. If I would've thought the 3DS was just to expensive just to play Pokemon (it was 120 euro , not that big of a deal for pokemon) I would've been done with them and they couldn't sell me any game since I don't own a Wii U or 3DS. And there you've got maybe the biggest finanvial problem they would have to fear. The children these days just play on their dad's (or mom's) xbox , playstation or PC. Nintendo lost that battle a long time ago. They can't sel any of their games to them. 'No problem , they have 9.3 million Wii U players (I think?) that's enough'. Yes but more and more people are moving towards other consoles , this means the people capable of playing (and logically buying) their games keeps getting smaller and smaller. The 3DS is fine , there's no platform competing with them right there , but the Wii U is just losing. Big time.

Well, yeah, Nintendo's not gonna make games for the PS4 or Xbone. That's basically giving more money to Sony and Microsoft, their primary competitors. If this was earlier in the console generation, I might agree about the Wii U not being able to compete with the other 2, but nowadays there's just enough stuff on each console that they compete with each other reasonably well imo.

Nintendo's strong suit is first party games. They pump out a fair number of solid first party titles each generation. Conversely, Sony and Microsoft's strong suit is 3rd party titles, which they also pump out a fair number of solid 3rd party games every generation. So the thing is, if Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Fire Emblem/other Nintendo games are not appealing to you, yeah, a Wii U/3DS sounds like a terrible console and not worth your money. But the same applies to the PS4/Xbone if the stuff that's typically on those systems doesn't interest you.

Yeah, maybe Nintendo's stuff hasn't generally been selling quite as well as, and the Wii U is technologically inferior to the PS4 and Xbox One, but Nintendo still has a large enough consumer-base to let them continue on. Like Pinkie said, people have been saying that Nintendo's about to die for decades now. If half of what those people said was true, Nintendo would've gone under years ago. But they haven't yet.

Does that mean that they'll never die? No. Does it mean that they don't have any issues or don't make any mistakes? Hell no. But I don't think that things are quite as bad as some people think.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Splatoon? The Amiibo three pack thing. I mean sure that isn't "DLC" but content is still gated behind it and we knew about it before release so it was clearly planned before the game's release.
    As you said, it isn't DLC- but you know, for the sake of this, let's just say that amiibos are a physical form of DLC.

...So why is this a bad thing? Apart from the "DLC" being optional and the player not really missing out on much, it helps to support an idea that many may still see as dubious and Nintendo wants to do well. If this is considered "bad", then it's certainly on the incredibly mild end of the spectrum.

And what's more, this is only one game. I'm still not seeing how they're ventures in DLC have been bad so far- because from what I've seen, it's created a pretty positive mutual relationship between the Developer/Publisher and the Consumer.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I usually do not subscribe to writing elongated posts and drawing out a topic, but going through your post, I came to a realization that a rebuttal to your points is absolutely neccessary to be drawn out, as there are some ajor holes.

Moneygrabbing?
    At this certain point of time, Nintendo has in no way been close to the levels of other games. I say so far, because slowly, smash bros is worrying me. Mii costumes mostly, and no matter how optional, they are worrying. If they are willing to charge such a sum, obviously due to liscening rights, then I honestly wouldn't mind the extra bucks for proper characters. I mean damn, Zero in smash would be epic, a Miistume sucks. But beyond that, there has been nothing but amazing options. 10 euros for half a mario kart, along with FREE skins and a new difficulty tier. NFS would charge 30, and for all that too. Splatoon has upcoming DLC, but balances it out with new modes and maps. Pikmin 3, Mario Golf, the list goes on with balanced DLC. Another point I see in general is the Amiibo content. Its arbitrary really, and in the end the extra bonuses besides its main use is nothing damaging, and from Mario Maker, its clear they realize locking so much content will hurt them.
    Customer Serivce.....Or rubbin one out of the fans?
    From your paragraph, its obvious the title should be Fanservice dribble. Customer serivce as an infrastructure, yes that is lacking. Cloud saves and a proper online network, yes that is an issue. Shoddy build quality on their screens and lacking quality control, an even bigger one. Pokemon MMO,and teh epic Zeldas, nonono. Even with the whole spinoff debacle of E3, I understand their motives, and its obvious we are in a transition stage.
    Wii U its horrible! Oh wait thats the 3DS, silly me....
    I honestly have no idea what to say here. Yes the Wii U is lacking, but its eShop efforts are comendable, and its honestly what has kept me going. As for the 3DS, I cannot agree that you bought it only for Pokemon and found nothing satisfactory. First and foremost, as an RPG, you cannot tell me the genre disinterests you entirely, as that would be contradictory with your primary product. Stuff like Fantasy Life, Bravely Default, Kingdom Hearts 3D should be given a look. Third, outside of RPGS there is a wealth of sorts of other genres to look at, and its eShop offerings are even better then the WiiU.
    As for your other points. Yes Nintendo has mocrowd, but no its not on other consoles. Yes the competitors are selling, but sales will wane shorrly, you will see. Mobile at this point is everyone''s directo competitor for better or worse. And with Nintendo especially, in their homeland they are definitely at odds with mobile more so then others. They should absolutely not chase the platform crowd, nor should they chase mobile either. Here is where I fet into my speculatoons, and stop commentinf yours.

Nintendo is in no way digging a grave. Its in a transitional period, and we have no idea where they are going. Yes they have issues, but they are trying to resolve it I believe. Right now, the best they can do is Trojan Horse they mobile market. Mobile Games is one step, but I believe NX is the next step. If they offer compelling hardware, and encompass their platforms in a unfied online OS while giving us dort cheap prices, then they will likely not be digging any holes except for the past.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    NIntendo isn't the only company which is heading the wrong way but because alot of fanboys just stand before them screaming everything is okay and trying to defend everything they maybe started to think they are the kings of the gaming world?
    There's your problem, you're talking to the wrong people. Fans =/= Fanboys, and fanboys only care about the company they've pledged allegiance to. Of course they'll do these things, they're fanboys...what the heck else were you expecting? Rationality? Fanboys of anything- not just video games, literally anything will stand by the object of their affection even when they're completely in the wrong, so this idea of posting a rant like this in a VG forum that, from what I've seen, is mostly fair in how it views the various companies, seems like a misjudgment.

JustDutch101

JustDutch101
    Years
    They're one of the few companies who knows what they're doing, unlike most companies, whose recent games were rushed and are filled with unpolished and buggy presentations (Ex: AC Unity). They're also one of the few companies who's been using DLC correctly, because you can still finish their games without the use of them.

In my eyes (I could be totally wrong) they're losing alot of people and alot of power on the game market. Take a look at the E3 and console selling numbers , they're beaten pretty hard. In my eyes 'good'DLC is not being able to finish the game without the DLC (I believe only Destiny really had this problem) but it's not releasing a full game , but releasing alot of unlockables etc besides them. Yes it is optional but when you pay the high price of 60-70 bucks already you don't even have the full game yet. Yes , now it's just unlockables but we've seen DLC getting bigger and bigger and it can go out of control fast. When it stays at unlockables it is fine by me , but it is frustating to not get a full game out at release , and there are still more stuff to buy. In my opinion you release the game , then go work on extra DLC. And yes I count amiibo as DLC. Putting those things 'back to live' hasn't any gameplay value and instead makes a reason to buy more characters.

That is often how it is with games. It's really a rarity afaik for companies to release a game in all regions at the same time. I do agree that all games on all systems should release at roughly the same time wordlwide, but localization ain't that easy usually.

Elder Scrolls online released one day earlier in USA on june 8 (USA) and june 9 (europe). That makes sense , but 3-4 months? ORAS didn't take 3-4 months so I really don't get it. If you're an internation company , in my opinion , you should release it around the same time everywhere. A week isn't that bad , but 3-4 months is way too long. I don't know the reason why it is delayed that long but especially with Pokemon it often feels like 'Yes Japan first , then USA and then we care about Europe'. A company like NIntendo should treat their costumers worldwide the same.

So the thing is, if Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Fire Emblem/other Nintendo games are not appealing to you, yeah, a Wii U/3DS sounds like a terrible console and not worth your money. But the same applies to the PS4/Xbone if the stuff that's typically on those systems doesn't interest you.

Oh man I have to change the title about the Wii U part , it sounds disrespectful xD But the problem is kids aren't growing up with Zelda , Mario and Pokemon anymore. So it's not appealing for them to buy a Wii U , especially not if the Xbox one and Playstation and ofcourse the PC are so superior. With Nintendo you have to make a decision , the games on (for example) Xbox one or the games on Wii U. I think the new generation will give NIntendo some troubles. Especially if this E3 is the way they're gonna go. They need a big wow and a big strike because it seems right now they obly have their fanbase to live on , and while their fanbase is the biggest in the world , from what I'm seeing is that it starts to slow down.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Oh man I have to change the title about the Wii U part , it sounds disrespectful xD But the problem is kids aren't growing up with Zelda , Mario and Pokemon anymore. So it's not appealing for them to buy a Wii U , especially not if the Xbox one and Playstation and ofcourse the PC are so superior. With Nintendo you have to make a decision , the games on (for example) Xbox one or the games on Wii U. I think the new generation will give NIntendo some troubles. Especially if this E3 is the way they're gonna go. They need a big wow and a big strike because it seems right now they obly have their fanbase to live on , and while their fanbase is the biggest in the world , from what I'm seeing is that it starts to slow down.
    But across the board, for both the Wii U and the 3DS (the latter moreso than the former), Nintendo has more quality 3rd party titles than the Xbone and the PS4 combined. Similarly, Nintendo's been rather openly promoting 3rd party support. Though Nintendo's First-Party games are the face of the company, they're far from what define it. Though this was indeed a safe E3, looking at the Treehouse there's a lot coming in the way of 3rd party games.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    (Hopefully the NX is a completely brand new thing, and they don't base the name on something else to confuse people even more)
    I've always worried, jokingly and otherwise, that they would name the new console the "Wii U & Mii".

...Though if they did actually name it that, I think that's the point where I would seriously start worrying about Nintendo.

Yukari

As you said, it isn't DLC- but you know, for the sake of this, let's just say that amiibos are a physical form of DLC.

Well, no, Amiibo's aren't DLC. But they are used to gate off content in games. As far as I'm concerned, they are. You could say that's just my opinion, and you would be right. But I don't see how they're any better than a physical form of DLC given how little they do otherwise. I won't complain about them in Smash bros, though. They didn't do much but I wasn't missing out on anything.

But, what are Amiibo's to you if they aren't Physical DLC?

...So why is this a bad thing? Apart from the "DLC" being optional and the player not really missing out on much, it helps to support an idea that many may still see as dubious and Nintendo wants to do well. If this is considered "bad", then it's certainly on the incredibly mild end of the spectrum.

You're paying more to use content that is already included with the game. That's always an issue. To be fair they do have every right to do that. When you pay for a game you don't own the actual game- just a license to use that game however the developers intended. If they only intended for you to use that content if you paid for a figurine they have every right to lock it off, but the amount of content they add really doesn't justify the price. If they did add a significant amount of content they would be a bigger issue, sure, but it's still bad nonetheless.

And what's more, this is only one game. I'm still not seeing how they're ventures in DLC have been bad so far- because from what I've seen, it's created a pretty positive mutual relationship between the Developer/Publisher and the Consumer.

Mario Kart 8, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Hyrule Warriors, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. They all use them for something.

Yukari

I've heard that in Mario Party 10, there's a massive amiibo paywall in it, and that a chunk of the game can't be used unless you have amiibos. Couldn't that kinda count as at least a physical form of DLC?
    ...That would be a lot worse than physical DLC.

JustDutch101

JustDutch101
    Years
    Evil Stud Muffin;8810484 [/QUOTE said:
    Yes I understand what you're saying but it shouldn't be compared to other games , the point is Nintendo is slwoly starting to create paywalls and DLC before release aswell , because some people are actually buying it they won't stop either. Because other companies go even further I'm afraid Nintendo will to. And if this is some kind of 'phase' then it's a hard one because they're losing power on the international gaming market. It's not only about power etc. it's also about fanservice. People who get offended by some ways they got treated by NIntendo often tend to turn itself away from Nintendo (I have been hearing alot of rages on how people got treated by Nintendo). Nintendo doesn't only lose on consoles but also on the games market itself. And heading onto the mobile market doesn't seem that big for me. Are they going to try and sqeeuze money by making annoying paywall phone games or overly expensive phone games? because thats all there is (except for Fallout Shelter).

Keep in mind the onyl way to get out of a phase is by making a change.

There's your problem, you're talking to the wrong people. Fans =/= Fanboys, and fanboys only care about the company they've pledged allegiance to. Of course they'll do these things, they're fanboys...what the heck else were you expecting? Rationality? Fanboys of anything- not just video games, literally anything will stand by the object of their affection even when they're completely in the wrong, so this idea of posting a rant like this in a VG forum that, from what I've seen, is mostly fair in how it views the various companies, seems like a misjudgment.

I didn't want to go on any game forum and hear xbox one and playstation just going on and on about how crap Nintendo would be. I wanted a real discussion. On here I found people aren't really that big annoying fanboys and to be rather rational. It wasn't really supposed to be a rant , rather me explaining why I worry for Nintendo it's future. Other than in the past , there are really big and strong companies now with almost as much power as NIntendo. They took their advantage as Nintendo seemed to fail and with the market right now it could be a huge blow for Nintendo. Steam , the xbox and playstation just went up and up while it seems like NIntendo actually went down and down (I don't know exact numbers but the Wii U didn't even particapate in the 'console-war' of fanboys , which I think shows it all). But if anyone got offended or if alot of people don't agree with it being here on this site I'd remove it. The last thing I want is to offend people and it was never my itention to do so. In my opinion fanboys should take a good look and help Nintendo improve it flaws instead of defending it because it can be hard to strike back now the market has changed this much.

I think Nintendo can fix this issue they're having. It's not like Nintendo will die out soon, they have so much money right now they could fail for a few years straight and still be going

The problem is how do you get the people you've lost back from Xbox and Playstation. Yes they've got enough money but if investors leave to you'd set a wheel in motion thats hard to stop. Other investors leaving , people giving up. With this much options on the market it's easy to lose people. And if playstation and Xbox do not mess up it'll be hard to get them back. They need to be back fast and hard if they want to stop this early on.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Nintendo, for me, seems to be the oddball in terms of video game companies. It's as if they have found a way to survive on the market, some kind of fail safe strategy, that allows them to be present whatever happens. This more defensive way allows for a lot of more solid game entries, as opposed to a lot of hit-or-miss games, that are more likely when you're trying to invent things (something Sony and Microsoft are using as their strategy). At the same time, however, being defensive slows progress down to an extreme extent, which is something, in a world that progresses faster and faster every minute, you can't really allow yourself doing. Nintendo's now at the point where they have to catch up with all the other companies and they are definitely trying, which becomes apparent since they now are running into a ton of trouble, the other companies already resolved a long time ago. Just think back to the debacle they had when Pokebank was released and taken down shortly afterwards, because their servers couldn't handle the pressure.

That being said, they still run their fail safe strategy and I have the feeling, if worse comes to worse, they would definitely consider cutting the ties with the rest of the world and completely focus on their home market in order to survive. But until then they will slowly try getting more and more out of their comfort zone. I think Splatoon is one of the better examples, as it's not only a new IP, but also their first real attempt on an online player game for a home console.

I really hope kids these days don't just spend all their free time playing video games. They should only play a certain amount of time and for that I really don't see why the amount of games Nintendo has to offer (and their quality) shouldn't suffice for that purpose.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    You're paying more to use content that is already included with the game. That's always an issue. To be fair they do have every right to do that. When you pay for a game you don't own the actual game- just a license to use that game however the developers intended. If they only intended for you to use that content if you paid for a figurine they have every right to lock it off, but the amount of content they add really doesn't justify the price. If they did add a significant amount of content they would be a bigger issue, sure, but it's still bad nonetheless.
    You're not paying more to use the content, you're paying more to get a figure that unlocks the content.

The difference is in the demand. You'd be shocked at how many people want certain Amiibos just because they want those certain Amiibos.

Similarly, as has been currently the case, there's only about...say, 2 games where you're actually deprived of anything, and that's Hyrule Warriors (Weapon(s)) and Mario Kart (Racing Outfits). Like, when people say "DLC is optional, don't complain"- a saying I don't always agree with, that's one thing, but this...this is much less than that. Whereas DLC is often supplementary, Amiibos so far have been...well, extra. This is nothing like On-Disc DLC, especially when you consider that in a lot of cases the content that's unlocked is made solely for the purpose of Amiibo.

Mario Kart 8, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Hyrule Warriors, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. They all use them for something.
    I didn't mean that was only one game that used amiibos, I was saying that was the only one you used as example. Yeah, all of these use Amiibos, and some of these amiibos can be used in several different games, and I imagine that if Amiibos weren't a thing, the "locked" content wouldn't have been in the game at all.

That's the key, here- the content supplements the amiibos, not the other way around, and that's why I don't particularly mind it. Simply put, I've yet to see any "built-in DLC" that has seemed like something that would have been in the game otherwise. Major examples of this are Mario Party 8, Captain Toad, Smash Bros, Half of Hyrule Warriors, Kirby and the Rainbow Canvas, Yoshi's Woolly World, Animal Crossing's Amiibo Party (the game itself), and Splatoon. It really often seems like an extra created exclusively to promote the Amiibo, which I see nothing wrong with since we're being given more than we're deprived.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    It's kinda funny to see some random internet people telling a 130-year-old company how to run a business despite having little to experience to it at all, and I find it odd that most of the complainers are from Europe, which is Nintendo's weakest market.

Garison

The Grey Waves
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    It's kinda funny to see some random internet people telling a 130-year-old company how to run a business despite having little to experience to it at all, and I find it odd that most of the complainers are from Europe, which is Nintendo's weakest market.

Wow, nintendo is elderly. (More so than I thought.)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Wow, nintendo is elderly. (More so than I thought.)
    If memory serves, Nintendo started out as a card-making company. Quite the history there to read about if you look around!

Nintendo isn't having the best patch of late but it's far from dying. People were saying the same early in the 3DS lifespan which was released without many games and had to be given a price cut (and ambassador games). Now it's when I take a deep figurative breath, because we have on the 3DS besides those humble launch games a Mario Kart, three LoZ titles (with another two on the way), two main Pokemon titles and likely more on the way along with a new MD title, a M&L and PM title with a crossover on the way, Kid Icarus (fantastic fun), Luigi's Mansion 2, Smash 3DS, Xenoblade port for those with the n3DS, MH3U/MH4U (huge time sink there), Bravely Default (sequel in Japan and to be released later for us), soon Youkai Watch which was a huge seller in Japan... and more which I have not mentioned. Like the whole eshop set of offerings.

So yeah. People have said that old chestnut many times. Sometimes Nintendo does go below par, but I wouldn't bet against them in the long run.

Back