• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

no YOU talk first!!!!!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • Do you regularly start conversations with people, online or otherwise, or do you prefer to wait for them to start talking to you? In either case, why?

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • 90% Of the time I'll start the conversation, I don't like it but yeah I do it because pretty much all the people I talk to don't start conversation and stuff and I want to talk to them, I think it's silly to wait for other people to talk to you - If you want to talk to them don't just sit there and ignore them, because they're not going to be like "Oh! That person obviously wants to talk to me I'll start a conversation with them!" or something, especially if it's like msn or something they might not even realise you're online so yeah I start the conversations.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I will start one if I have something to say, otherwise no. I'm not one for the typical "hi" "how are you" "whats up" it's just dumb. I talk more offline than online. I'd never ignore someone offline, but do it frequently online if the person talking isn't very interesting. Online conversations just tend to be more boring in comparison to offline ones, and I usually find more to say irl.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I will start one if I have something to say, otherwise no. I'm not one for the typical "hi" "how are you" "whats up" it's just dumb. I talk more offline than online. I'd never ignore someone offline, but do it frequently online if the person talking isn't very interesting. Online conversations just tend to be more boring in comparison to offline ones, and I usually find more to say irl.
    Truedat.

I'm the one who 95% of the time starts a convo online. Maybe I suck, maybe people don't like talking to me, maybe I'm too bold for my own good, but I do it. Yeah, pretty much all my contacts on MSN don't have stuff to say to me. And that's why I'm a boring 'hi, sup' guy. I'm trying to find a way to urge interest in chat convos, sue me.

As for offline, I'm more of a slacker, but I never turn down an invitation for chatter under normal circumstances.

Years
  • I can start a convo easily online, as for offline not really. I feel more uncomfortable to start a convo offline for some reason. But, I've been trying to do better, cause I need a social life yea know?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I don't see anything wrong with starting a conversation with a simple "How are you" (online wise) I mean, obviously it'll lead into a topic. But yeah, if it's someone I'd like to start talking to more online, I'll usually start with Hi, how are you etc..

As for online, I simply talk to my friends just about anything. It's a little different to starting a conversation with someone I don't really know, but I guess I'd like them to come up to me, but most of the time it's me I guess. I usually see if I can find a common interest, say like from where we are or wearing. idk.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I'll let people talk to me. I don't want to be a bother.

Years
  • I don't like starting conversations because of shyness/not knowing what to say to people a lot of the time. When I do start one I'm pretty good at getting an interesting conversation going. I'm a champ at the "Hi there" and "How are you?" and have even mastered the combo opener: "Hey, how are things?" But after that things start to go downhill. I'd much rather someone talk to me first.

Years
  • I almost always start a conversation, online and offline. When someone else starts a convo with me, its rare.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    This reminds me of today. I was with a friend and we decided we were going to visit a professor's office hours because we get extra points if we do it. We didn't really have any questions, not much to say, but he said that if we just came and chatted we would get the credit because he wants to know everyone. We walked up to the door...and then continued walking past because neither of us wanted to be the one to start the conversation. We then rounded the corner and had a heated discussion on what to say and what our point was. xDDD;

But yeah I'm not a big conversation starter offline, and only online if I have something to say to someone, even if it's random. I'm not a fan of just talking to someone with a 'hi' because really, what does that contribute to the conversation? You should start with a topic so at least you have something else to discuss and the topic can progress beyond "how are you". But that's just my take on it, lol.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'll let people talk to me. I don't want to be a bother.
    Yeah, pretty much. There's always this nagging feeling that I'll just be boring and have nothing to talk about if I start up a conversation, so that impulse prevents me from doing so. If someone starts talking to me, though, I can go on for hours on end. It's the same online as well as offline.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think its kind of half and half. I don't really experience the bother thing unless someone is busy or away. If they're online, with their status set as available, there's no reason to worry that you're bothering them? Screw that. If I'd be bothering them by starting a conversation, then they should set their status more appropriately. It's on them, really. I really only start conversations if I have something to say or ask, though.

I don't know how to answer for how I converse offline. You can kind of see someone coming, and usually they're coming to you to say something, and you end up naturally saying hi to them before they open their mouth. Unless they call you... I don't know????? This is frustrating me so I'm going to end the post here, bye!

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • For me it really depends on the person, not that I use any sort of instant messaging system anymore. But I guess for text messaging (which is basically the same as IM)...I am not usually the person that starts up a conversation. I'm pretty shy, and I for the most part always wait for someone to text me first. On twitter and forums on the other hand, I am usually pretty out there. I will make threads and send @replies left and right...I'm just weird I guess.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Online and offline, I'm usually the one who starts a conversation. I don't think I''m well known enough to be approached manually by someone else.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Usually I'm the one who has to start conversations, because they won't start speaking to me unless I do. It irritates me a bit that they won't start talking to me on their own, but I guess I've gotten used to just saying, "Hey, what's up?" to start conversations.

Harebrained

Switch to decaf? Never!
    Years
  • I tend to approach when I feel like approaching, and be approached when others feel like approaching - or not. I used to be incredibly shy, but I've learned not to take rejection and slip-ups so personally as I age.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • in the past... well, like before i started college last month, lol, i didn't talk to anyone at all unless they spoke to me first (except my best friend actually, i always spoke to her), but now that i'm in college... i can talk away for hours on end to people about random junk (mostly about video games and music, i've noticed), but it's mostly to my new friends (who i just noticed are all guys.........) in my class, some people in my class i prefer to not talk to, like this one guy who likes to randomly shout out my second name to annoy me. XDD; but yeah, i always try to start the convo first in person now. online... idk, it's different. i'm more shy online now than i am offline. to think it was the other way around a few months ago. XDD

Ayselipera

I can be weirdly shy online and so a lot of times I'll wait for someone to talk to me first. In real life though it's so much easier to get another person's vibe or wait for the most opportune moment to say something so I'm way more likely to start a conversation. Usually if I say anything it will be to compliment someone just because something they have on with catch my eye or something to that extent which then will just start a conversation. There are very few people in real life or even online I find myself really wanting to talk to so it's kind of rare for me to go out of my way. Most times people approach me.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I generally don't start a conversation for whatever reason it may be at least online. It's probably a combination of I either don't know what to talk about, have nothing to talk about, just don't want to talk, or that I am too shy to strike up a conversation. Usually if I do I will try and find some commonalities between me and the person I am talking to so we can have a smoother conversation outside of the generic "whats up" "hi" conversations.

Back