• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Now that you've played B/W...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    In terms of length, B/W is a fair bit shorter than HG/SS; I don't think we'll see another Pokemon game that will rival it in length, considering that there were two Regions for you to travel along once you'd beaten the Elite Four, and there were a total of 16 Gym Leaders for you to fight. The length of the game is one of the reasons I hold Generation II so highly, despite its glaring flaws (in particular, those that followed into the remakes) in the form of restrictive places in which to train in Johto.

I think a few people would agree with me that B/W seemed to come a little too soon after HG/SS; I even know some people who won't buy B/W because they haven't finished HG/S yet, and actually looking at B/W, I would say it would have been better coming out on the 3DS as a first-party title. A lot of the graphical features could have easily been more impressive were they in 3D. Especially considering that we'll likely get the third game of this Generation on the 3DS...

All-in-all, I'd say HG/SS still hold strong, regardless of most people jumping the Generation gap. They still feel new to me.

Years
    Am I the only one that liked the new genertion 5 pokemon? Sure some of them are ugly, but compared to some of their gen 1 counterparts their design is damnright beautiful. Trubbish > Grimer, Swoobat > Golbat, Carracosta > Omastar, etc. Albeit the storyline was too fast, but random wifi battles keep me entertained for a while (even though I lose almost every one 'cos of the Japanese, but that's a different story all together) and there are a few legendaries to catch. Don't forget the dream world as well... Put it this way, I definitely prefer it to Diamond and Pearl. Their designs really were bad, and most of them were just evolutions to existing pokemon and pseudo gods. Black and White are only my second favourite games, gen 3 owns my heart. But if Ruby and Sapphire do get remakes like everyone thinks, gen 5 will be my favourite of them all.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    After playing Black I replayed SoulSilver because I felt that the adventure in HG/SS were longer than in B/W. And it is, because of the two regions.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2015
    I prefer HGSS to be honest. I prefer the graphics and I can't get my head around the new Pokemon. xD.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Soul Silver feels weird for me to play, not because of Black and White. I guess it's just... It's a funny thing coming home after you've been gone a while. It looks the same. Feels the same. Even smells the same. You'll realize what's changed is you. Basically, I've changed too much to feel the same way going through Johto as I did when I was 6 or 7.

locofredd

Pokemon Elite
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    The thing that I can't realize it is that as much as they create games, we have more work capturing more and more pokemons. We have more than 600 now and who knows how more there would be...

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Same here, the B/W Pokemon are just too... Digimon-ish. I also like the layout of the menu screen of HGSS, the best I have seen so far.

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I loved my SoulSilver adventure. ♥
    I still need to train and defeat Red, so I might start doing that ~ the lack of training areas is the only downside to HG/SS ):
    I don't think I will ever grow tired of Johto, but thats being biased seeing as its probably my favourite reigon to journey through.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
    I'm going to come out and say it.

I hated black and white

The games were too new, and im afraid on what theyll do with the rse remakes. I liked the old style more, however some of the new pokes were cool, the rest werent.

Ice cream, really
    Keep on hackin'
    ~RHIOne

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Heartgold and soulsilver always felt older to me just because the story line didn't really change much and I've been through that story line over a hundred times now. I haven't played heartgold or soulsilver recently just because I don't have a whole lot left to do in them besides catch rayquaza and finish filling my pokedex. I like pokemon black because it's a brand new storyline( better than the rest in my opinion so far) new characters and new pokemon. I like the fact that you really can't get the older pokemon in the game until it's finished or you get them from the dreamworld. I'll eventually play heartgold and soulsilver again just because it's a well known story and has I guess a sense of pokemon home with the johto and kanto pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Ice cream, really

Just a creative as a magnet or transforming jelly pokemon I bet. -_-

HG/SS became obsolete so quickly it isn't funny. They honestly feel outdated compared to the fast battle systems and the snazzy animations of B/W. Plus, the aftergame of HG/SS fell shallow to me, only getting 90 hours from me, yet B/W already have got 100 hours from me.(That's from the Great Egg Swap though really.)

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
    B/W were alright, but they are just not like the older games. I like HG and SS alot better because I just grew up on the older Pokemon stuff, it's just like the tv show, it gets older after Hoenn and even THAT isn't as good. The new Pokemon, are mentioned above, are too Digimon-ish. Plus they are running out of ideas. My Heart goes to the older games, with HG and SS an exception because they are just remakes with hardly any updating, like they re released Gold and Silver.

Gold19

Yes, I'm that One Guy
    Years
    I still play Pokemon White, mostly because of the Battle Subway, trying to beat Cynthia, and the fact that I have my awesome OP'ed Braviary :D. Right now, my HG game is in it's case and that I haven't played it in a while.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Please don't bump threads over a month old since the last post, please.

Going to close this - don't see much new discussion coming from this personally beyond 'yes I do' or 'no I don't'.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back