• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I got so behind I gave up and stuck everything on hold indefinitely. Will be fun catching up one weekend if I don't end up dropping most of it.

Spoiler:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    It is rare for me to go through a season watching everything weekly. At least this time I haven't slacked off and have gotten through a few completed things, most noticeably Candy Candy. Just waiting to read that that a group has started putting them out in non eye cancer quality now. Would be just my luck.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Pokemon will always be a comfy anime for me.

Even if I'm not in the mood for it all of the time.

Same with Pretty Cure and other kiddy shows.

Years
    I'm pretty much watching Pokemon mostly because I couldn't watch it nearly as often as I wanted to as a kid (TV time limits, not being up early enough, not having the right channels for it, being in sports that had games very early on weekends, etc) and the fact that I do still like Pokemon.

Also, they sometimes have really fun filler arcs mixed into all that formulaic filler.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I can't stand anime that's too kiddish, I have no idea why :c
    It's cute and I get why other people enjoy it, though.

Maybe it's cause when I was younger, my brother would berate me for watching Pokemon and Cardcaptor Sakura all the time. I probably forced myself to grow out of it over time >w>;

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I haven't been able to stand watching Pokemon since Hoenn started. I drop in and watch an episode every now and then whenever I forget to turn off the tv at night and wake up with it on. I can only just barely watch the original series and that's simply because of nostalgia. Like imo, there's kiddish, there's too kiddish, and then there's Pokemon.

This year is the first time I've actually watched and kept up with watching something currently airing, and a couple of the shows I watch weekly when they come out (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Log Horizon & Shirobako) but for the most part I've just been letting them build up because I'm a binge watcher by nature. But I haven't ever gone so far as to drop a series. Unless there's 100-150+ episodes I'll watch just about anything to the end even if it is just absolutely horrid.

Gotta watch all of the super depresing SoL.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    We don't speak of Pupa here smh.

The horrid anime that shall not be named.

Kanto and Johto I watched every day as kids and then continued up with Sinnoh and Battle Frontier because it still aired even while I was getting older. I think it's because of the contests I kept watching. Once in a while I'll watch an episode of Pokemon (both older and recent) and I still enjoy it. I just feel it's too much effort for me to keep up or marathon it since I have other things I'd rather watched.

I've been watching seasonally since 2012, but last year I barely kept up with anything.
    This year's already been a bit promising with the exception of Diamond No Ace I'm incredibly behind in and still watching as many series until school starts next monday :s
    NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Years
    This season's the first season in a while I've managed to keep up with at least one show for most of the season. (Just Saekano, though; been putting off the last two weeks of DRRR!! because I've only had the energy to watch stuff via my phone, and I know I'll miss stuff if I watch DRRR!! on my phone) Every other season I've tried this recently, I've fallen out of sync after the 3rd week.

Like imo, there's kiddish, there's too kiddish, and then there's Pokemon.

Well, IMO, nothing's too kiddish anymore if you've ever had to suffer through hour after hour after hour after hour of Caillou as a teenager or an adult supervising a 3 to 6 year old who obsessively watches the show every chance she gets. Almost anything can provide sweet release from that hell.

Years
    Okay, so, describe to me why Clannad should not be considered slice of life? I already know it's got supernatural elements going against it (and it's also a romance on top of that, albeit kinda awkward in that regard), but why should slice of life not be considered a genre it fits into?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Drama/Romance/Fantasy for me. Can't help but feel that series labelled SOL should be far more grounded if they are going to include drama.

WELL IT'S A SLICE OF THEIR LIVES....Then is Gundam a slice of life about autistic robot pilots?

Of course Clannad has the mundane school/work stuff but still, not for me.

Years
    The mundane school stuff (with emphasis on mundane; basically the entire first season is filled with this type of thing) being a pretty central aspect of the setting and story makes me think it's at least worth considering as a part of the genres it should be considered a part of. TVTropes appears to disagree with me on that, though, and I'm far from a genre expert.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    For me it is a tag that should be used sparingly with series like YKK and Tamayura. Or even the more comedy orientated ones like Azumanga and K-On [inb4 keion isn't funny].

Any drama should be grounded, relatable and not overplayed like it is in Clannand.

You know I am a Clannad fan though so this isn't some sort of backhanded comment.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Yeah, idk if I would call anything even relatively fantasy related slice of life :x

Going by that logic, there's some slice of life parts in Durarara too. I wouldn't call that slice of life at all, aha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back