• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    There's apparently a leak from 2ch on what's supposedly our Grass starter.

It sorta resembles an owl, but I don't know which owl species is associated with grass.

Years

It sorta resembles an owl, but I don't know which owl species is associated with grass.

That is quite an interesting analysis from GCPM11 there. If this is confirmed to be the 7th Gen Grass-type starter, then that means we'll finally have a bird starter of each of type, since we had Torchic for Fire and Piplup for Water.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

Wonder if either of these have been called fake yet.

Are there any other videos that have started to pop up yet?

Years
    Wonder if either of these have been called fake yet.

Are there any other videos that have started to pop up yet?

I have a feeling that's fake. I don't trust 4chan at all, and that speculated Fire starter there becomes a Fire/Fighting, which we know we all don't want on a Fire starter again. Plus I can't really see a secondary Dark and Psychic on another starter so soon after 6th Gen.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I have a feeling that's fake. I don't trust 4chan at all, and that speculated Fire starter there becomes a Fire/Fighting, which we know we all don't want on a Fire starter again. Plus I can't really see a secondary Dark and Psychic on another starter so soon after 6th Gen.

I agree, then there is also the fact Magearna isn't on that list as well. Though I can see GF going back to Fire/Fighting since they gave us a break from it XD

Years
    I agree, then there is also the fact Magearna isn't on that list as well. Though I can see GF going back to Fire/Fighting since they gave us a break from it XD

It's also odd that we have never had a pure Fire final stage starter since Typhlosion, who has so far been the only one.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    It's also odd that we have never had a pure Fire final stage starter since Typhlosion, who has so far been the only one.

I don't find that odd at all. Gen 2 was also the only time we had all Starters be pure typed. Also apparently Pokejungle have classified the Owl in the vid as fake.

Years
    Also apparently Pokejungle have classified the Owl in the vid as fake.

While it would have been cool to have an owl for a starter, if it's fake than I'll accept it. Hopefully the trio we get are well-designed, especially if they want them to fit the region theme.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
    What about a normal type starter?
    something similar to Eevee? Anyways I miss an Electric starter as Pikachu of the Gen I. but I think probably starters will be the trio basic elements... )=

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I don't find that odd at all. Gen 2 was also the only time we had all Starters be pure typed. Also apparently Pokejungle have classified the Owl in the vid as fake.

Isn't Pokejungle one of the least trustworthy Pokemon fansites?

I don't trust 4chan at all,

4chan also leaked the Unova starter evolutions, Greninja, and Hawlucha before game release.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Isn't Pokejungle one of the least trustworthy Pokemon fansites?

4chan also leaked the Unova starter evolutions, Greninja, and Hawlucha before game release.

It's as trustworthy as any Fansite including Pokecommunity. IIRC 4chan also echoed what was posted from 2ch for most of their correct leaks. The media used isn't as important as the person who is providing the information. Outside of official media, everything should be taken as false anyway.

If the video I posted has any of them shown, Serebii who claims it as fake would be viewed in the same light. Pokejungle to the best of my knowledge is more relaxed about sharing information than other fan sites and they do their best to make in known that everything they share is unconfirmed, but that doesn't stop people from jumping to conclusions and then blaming PJ for any misinformation that appears. Serebii has made some errors in the past with translations that turned around to bite them before. They learned, they do more research now and make sure everything is as accurate as they can make it so that they don't fall into the media pitfall that PJ tends to allow themselves to fall into. So really, unless a site just doesn't care about what they post, they are all as trustworthy as anyone who receives information second hand.

Outside of our general Pokemon Media, 4chan is fairly well known to have people who have less than faithful reasons to mess with people. Information provided would fall under the poster as an individual, but it unlike fan sites aren't going to try and post things as accurately as possible and it is a well known media to post fake leaks. We've definitely had more fakes from 4chan than we've had accurate information. If the poster happens to be known and credible, even on 4chan, then the information can be credible as well.

This being said, both Serebii and PokeJungle's "Hoax" list is as credible as they can be for now. Until the actual release of the games any decent listing we get, even the one that had no starters, has potential to be real unless a creator comes forth and says otherwise.

The Owl from 2ch and the line sets in the video have about the same chances of being legit. I remember how almost all the outlets were saying the Gen 5 evolutions were fake because of the way they were propped. Then they were revealed to be real by an official source. There were heavily detailed posts and videos "proving" that Samurott, Emboar, and Serperior were fake and some had a very strong backing by the fans.

So my general view, enjoy what you see if you like it. It's all fake until proven to be real by Gamefreak, CoroCoro or Nintendo/TPC. No matter where it's from. If it's poorly drawn, it'll have less chance of being real, but that doesn't condemn it's potential. We can't nitpick everything.

EDIT: We do also still have people refusing to believe that Sun/Moon are Gen 7 as opposed to the 6.5 and are in ways discrediting Serebii and Bulbapedia for already labeling them as such. This is definitely a case of to each their own, but credit of fansites are only worth what we put into them. If their credit is worth so little to those who refuse to accept that these could be Gen 7, then how can they be deemed credible under any justifiable light? Put your belief into the groups you want to believe in and if they don't make a post about potential fakes, take it as you want it. It can have as much credit as you want to give it or as little credit as you want to give it.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    We did get Grass/Ground a generation after we got a Water/Ground starter. Also, we got Four generations of Fighting starters (III-V being Fire/Fight. and VI being Grass/Fighting), plus we got pure Water two generations in a row (I,II).

Years
    We did get Grass/Ground a generation after we got a Water/Ground starter. Also, we got Four generations of Fighting starters (III-V being Fire/Fight. and VI being Grass/Fighting), plus we got pure Water two generations in a row (I,II).

It is interesting, we haven't had a Fire/Ground starter yet so maybe that would be a way to have a secondary Ground-type for each starter type as far as only starters go.

Years
    It is interesting, we haven't had a Fire/Ground starter yet so maybe that would be a way to have a secondary Ground-type for each starter type as far as only starters go.
    Fire/Ground was one of my expectations for Tepig's final evolution when the Isshu (Unova) starters were first shown, the other was Fire/Dark. We also need a Water Fighting starter final evolution. Also, a Water Dragon Mega since we got Charizard X and Sceptile for Fire and Grass respectively. About species, we don't have a Turtle Fire Starter, or a Grass flightless bird.

Years
    • Seen today
    Can we please get more starters that aren't green, orange/red, or blue, respectively? To date, the only starters not primarily colored based on their type are Typhlosion (tan and blue) and Chesnaught (brown with green highlights).

Years
    Can we please get more starters that aren't green, orange/red, or blue, respectively? To date, the only starters not primarily colored based on their type are Typhlosion (tan and blue) and Chesnaught (brown with green highlights).
    I was thinking of this too. Perhaps, even flip the colors. With Fire being blue (as in blue flames), Grass being red, orange and brown (autumn leaves), and water being a tealish color.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    I'd love the Grass starter to be a Grass/Flying Parrot line. Something like Budgie-Parakeet-Macaw.

I'd also like a Dolphin for the Water starter. Maybe with dual Psychic or Ice type.

As for Fire, as long as it's not Fire/Fighting I'm happy.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I'd also like a Dolphin for the Water starter. Maybe with dual Psychic or Ice type.

The only problem with having a dolphin as a water starter is that all water starters have to be able to walk land, because in the anime, fish, whales, and dolphins are restricted to being in lakes, rivers, and oceans for movement, so they can't float in the air like in the games. The anime wants to showcase the water starters on land in order for them to have equal treatment with the grass and fire starters.

Years
    The only problem with having a dolphin as a water starter is that all water starters have to be able to walk land, because in the anime, fish, whales, and dolphins are restricted to being in lakes, rivers, and oceans for movement, so they can't float in the air like in the games. The anime wants to showcase the water starters on land in order for them to have equal treatment with the grass and fire starters.
    I agree. The only real ways around this would be to give a dolphin feet (which, well, let's just say it worked okay with Snivy, but I can't imagine this turning out well on a dolphin) or making it float in the air like Inkay. But then Inkay, although a squid, is also a Psychic-type so the floating makes sense there.

Back