• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event: Off-Topic's Marathon in a Month Challenge!

Years

Welcome to OT's Marathon in a Month (2018)!

Hi, everyone! Throughout the month of October, Off-Topic will host the Marathon in a Month event. This is completely voluntary, and you can choose to take it as seriously as you want. Do not feel obligated to post/participate every single day - it's just for fun. Also, do not feel like you have to run - walking/sprinting/jogging/etc. are totally cool.

Don't run/walk? HealthCode.org [see below] gives you the option to log various activities such as yoga, weight lifting, tennis, swimming, etc. and it converts the time spent to (approximate) miles.

What is a 'Marathon in a Month'?

Per HealthCode.org, the Marathon in a Month™ is your October personal challenge to complete 26.2, 50, or 100 miles. Whether you're looking for a weight loss challenge, interested in group fitness with your friends, or just want to get in shape, we support you! Off to the virtual races!

How do I participate?

There are several ways you can participate! Here are a few examples:

• Register [for free] on HealthCode.org:
    Spoiler:
  • Use an sort of fitness app - MapMyRun/RunKeeper/Strava, etc. You can just post a screenshot in the thread of your daily walk/run.
  • Pokemon Go! While it might not be the best pedometer, you could at least rack up some Buddy Candy [Here's a quick Buddy Candy chart], and even hatch some eggs [here's a handy list of what Pokemon can hatch from each egg].
    You could also use one of the former apps [e.g. MapMyRun] in the background tracking your steps, and have Pokemon Go open as your primary app.
  • Track the miles manually.

How do I stay motivated?

For some (including myself), running/walking can be boring, or even tedious. We might wind up looking at our phone and inadvertently slowing ourselves down. Here are some tips:
  • Try an audiobook! If have a library card, or can get one - I highly recommend doing so. Most libraries these days offer online services where you can virtually 'check out' audiobooks for free. You can also try Audible, or any other audiobook provider.
  • Try a podcast! Podcasts are typically free, and are available through iTunes [Podcast App], Spotify, and several other places.
  • Listen to Music! Music can help keep you motivated when you run/walk, too.
  • Post here! Any time you log a workout, try posting in this thread. It might help keep you accountable.

Prizes

To Be Announced™

Participant/Goal List

• Ursula, 103.92/100 miles
  • Patchisou Yutohru, 60.64/100 miles
  • Zemanahrad, 58.84/100 miles
  • Caite-chan, 76.51/100 miles
  • Nick Wilde, 100.1/100 miles
  • Sawsbuck, 8.7 miles
  • Bidoof FTW 64.1/50 miles

Feel free to join us at any time throughout the month of October, and post your progress daily/weekly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I was able to get 2.05 in today. I updated my first post with the link to my profile though I'm not sure if everyone can see it or just me. I know my Fitbit will update it every night.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
So apparently I got 8.38 out of 100 mile based on a 67 minute weightlifting workout.

I'm pretty skeptical that this conversion is accurate, but none-the-less.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
According to the website, my 54 minute weight lifting session today translated to 6.75 miles. So I am sitting at 15.13 out of 100 miles.

Years
Yeah I don't see why not, this sounds fun! I'll go for 150 miles, currently from Monday the 1st to today being the 3rd, I'm on 25! I have a super fun and long walk to and fro work each day haha.....
ha....
ha....

ok but it's getting colder now help me :'(

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
According to the website, my 51 minute weight lifting session today translated to 6.38 miles. So I am sitting at 21.51 out of 100 miles.

Back