• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well, no use of making anymore guesses, from me that is.
    I'm off to bed now. I'll be back here soon, and I will be very eager to hear the names!

Early night for me too. I will be up early to see the new names though. Can't wait to see them!

Those posts don't really contribute to the discussion, but I only kept them since they do relate to the reveal. :x Next time just suggest other possible names, too and your posts will be fine. Otherwise it just seems like you two are making posts just to say you're sleeping, haha~

Pyroink sounds a bit too similar to Spoink though... But I have no idea what else it could be called.

Poke+Piglett= Pokelett

That was fail, but I could never guess what it may be called :\

...And that sounds like Diglett. XD; Pokabu is hard tbh, because there aren't that many other alternatives for pigs because pigs have been used before, and Emboar will stay as the third evo name, imo, anyway. :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Then we would be excited at 12am? :(

By the way, when the names do get released (and considering atm this thread is only for speculation), it would be better if it were discussed in the starter discussion thread and leave this for further discussion. Though I suppose if people choose to use this one, there's not much else we can really do besides move each post. Or alternatively we can keep discussion here, whatever's easier, though it would be better if it's in the starter discussion.

On another point regarding name speculation in general, I think soon we'll be getting confirmation of the rest of the legendaries names probably by about next month, then we'll probably get the names of the first Pokemon we started seeing throughout January, like Mamepato, etc. Either way, the excitement of the starters being revealed soon means we can expect other Pokemon names soon too. :D

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    On another point regarding name speculation in general, I think soon we'll be getting confirmation of the rest of the legendaries names probably by about next month, then we'll probably get the names of the first Pokemon we started seeing throughout January, like Mamepato, etc. Either way, the excitement of the starters being revealed soon means we can expect other Pokemon names soon too. :D

but next I think the elemental monkeys names will be released.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Lol...well, the silhouettes lose their "wow" factor since I already know the Pokemon identities being obscured... :( Anyway, my hopes for the starter names (listed in order of preference for each stage):

Pokabu
    : Pokabu or Porkabu
    Mijumaru: Wotter (it seems like a perfect name, and it's freaking cute!) :cer_boogie:
    Tsutarja: Tsutarja (IMO, the Japanese name is fun to say and is fine on its own. The only sort-of decent one I've managed to see is Conseeded...)

Chaobuu
    : Pignition (I can't think of a better name for it, and I really want that fanmade name to be used somehow...though I keep thinking that it would be better suited for Enbuoh, were it not for "Enbuoh's" similarity to the proposed name Emboar)
    Futachimaru: Aquotter? (but I'm thinking a better name could be devised...)
    Janovy: I don't even have a suggestion. The Japanese name is decent, but I don't really get "grass snake" out of it other than the possible ivy suffix.

Enbuoh: Emboar, only because it fits the Japanese one. Otherwise, Pignition all the way. :rambo:
    Daikenki: I really don't know. Samurotter or Daikenki would be sort-of decent (Daikenki is also fun to say, and Samurotter implies the rotting away of this Pokemon's opponents via samurai techniques), but again, I still think better names could be devised...
    Jaroda: Jaroda actually sounds OK. I'd be amazed if we get a more amazing name for this Pokemon...

Please don't let the first-stage names get butchered! >_>

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Then we would be excited at 12am? :(

By the way, when the names do get released (and considering atm this thread is only for speculation), it would be better if it were discussed in the starter discussion thread and leave this for further discussion. Though I suppose if people choose to use this one, there's not much else we can really do besides move each post. Or alternatively we can keep discussion here, whatever's easier, though it would be better if it's in the starter discussion.

I would say let the news sink in for a bit; people are free to discuss it here since this thread does regard English names. Probably the most I'd like for us to do here is discuss our previous thoughts for the starters to the confirmed English names. Then in the starter discussion we'll go ahead and give most of our thoughts and opinions with what the names turned out to be.

With this I'm sure we can also expect an official release date as well sometime soon. Well today's the day and I'm pretty excited to find out what GameFreak and Nintendo has in store for us with the names. It's going to take a little getting used to not calling Mijumaru, Mijumaru as I liked that name for the little otter. :( However, hopefully I can count on them to come up with something decent enough. Smugleaf; all I can say is I doubt this will happen for Tsutaja x100. u_u It's too generic, thought up by a fan, it went widespread, and I'd say after four years (iirc) of creating these games, they might have already had ideas in mind they would end up using. But I guess we'll just have to wait a few hours more and see what happens. :D;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I would say let the news sink in for a bit; people are free to discuss it here since this thread does regard English names. Probably the most I'd like for us to do here is discuss our previous thoughts for the starters to the confirmed English names. Then in the starter discussion we'll go ahead and give most of our thoughts and opinions with what the names turned out to be.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking, I just suck at wording. XD;

And omg fenyx, conseeded, awesome, lol. That is like soooo much better than Smugleaf. Seriously if I had to choose between that and Smugleaf, I'd choose that. XD

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Team Fail, I live in Alberta too XD.

Anyways, I couldn't sleep at all last night. I'm desperate to find out the names.

It's practically Nov.22 where I am. Reveal the names PUSA! :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well you two (and everyone else), when you find out the names, will you start calling the Pokemon their English names straight away or keep the Japanese names if the English ones suck?

I can't believe I'm trying to start a topic in here, but at least it'll stop all the posts about being excited and that being the only content in the posts. XD;;

Last edited:

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Depends on how good the names are XD

I just don't want cheesy names made just for a pun or two of words.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I have grown to the Japanese names so much,I just think I'm just going to call them by there Japanese names till like the English release of B/W where I'm forced to read there English names.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Probably use the English names. They're bound to be shorter. Well, Mijumaru's.

If they're REALLY stupid... I dunno.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Umm.. nope not yet >__> FREAKING SUSPENSE!

I'll check back during my lunch time. Forever, with all the beg power in my heart, I ask you to VM me the names when they're released because I'm lazy and I don't have too much time during lunch XD

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Just heard a very good speculation name for Tsutarja.\

Viprass

Viper + Grass

If the official name isn't as cool as this, I'm so calling it this. :)

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Just heard a very good speculation name for Tsutarja.\

Viprass

Viper + Grass

If the official name isn't as cool as this, I'm so calling it this. :)

The "ass" part sure would make it a good option ^__^ sounds like VIP rass,

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Aaaaand still bupkis. Make with the names already!

They better reveal the names and not just the pictures...

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years
    pokemon.com is... irritating me. IT IS ALREADY 11:39 IN SOME PARTS OF AMERICA!!! (only Newfoundland, though) but this just kinda makes no sense... some people in america are already to school.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Just drove to school in -22 weather O_O.

Luckily for me, it's a non-schederuled day here since not a lot of people came, so more online time fro me :D.

But yeah, I love Viprass now. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Tsutarjas official name.

Edit: I was totally thinking that PUSA might just show the pictures and not the names until later. :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back