• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019

Spoiler:

BTW, Nobody's gonna get any credit for predicting Snivy, it's sorta easy and obvious to derive >__>

I'm still gonna use Smugleaf. You're gonna have to bribe me into using Snivy!~

Years
    OSHAWHATT?? Srsly, I don't get it. Keeping it Mijumaru would've been better.

Tepig is also a little strange, but acceptable. I hope they at least keep Emboar's name.

Snivy was the only one I really liked, no smugleaf for ya. :P

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    OSHAWHATT?? Srsly, I don't get it. Keeping it Mijumaru would've been better.

Tepig is also a little strange, but acceptable. I hope they at least keep Emboar's name.

Snivy was the only one I really liked, no smugleaf for ya. :P
    I agree Tepig was strange and Majimaru's name is really odd...

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Once again, checking Pokémon.com... no confirmation. The Pokédex page also doesn't list them, though this may be to avoid spoiling Victini's existence to people who don't check Serebii.

They have until 9AM tomorrow (Eastern Standard Time) since GMT-14 as a time zone does exist if I remember correctly.

Edit: CONFIRMED! No confirmation on Unova quite yet.
    Click the Image will the starters it re-directs you to Black and White.net. So yes Unova is confirmed. Also lol at the people who wanted Snivy to be called Smugleaf. Enjoy the rage!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I wonder if Oshawott will sound as cute in the anime....Mijumaru is brimming with cuteness.....but I fear it might be a case of Pocchama to Piplup again.

Although I can envision some cute "Osha!"'s sounds coming out of him.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Snivy: I'm glad that it wasn't Smugleaf. I'm still not nicknaming my Snivy that.

Tepig: Meh, could get used to this. I don't see how "tepid" has to do with its personality.

Oshawott: It sounds awkward, considering the fact that the other 2 names are 5 letters long. It's possible that "osha" comes from "ocean." At least they used part of "Wotter."

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I am very disappointed.

These names seem very uncreative and the worst of any previous generation.

Snivy? Better than Smigleaf but not something I like.

Tepig? I don't get the pun for this nam at all, and it sounds dumb, like the pig.

And dear god, poor Mijumaru. It got Oshawoot, which I don't even know what it oculd mean at all. Osha? Wott?

But what I hate most is Ishhu's new name, Unova?

This was a total waste of my entire time, it makes me so mad.

Years
    Meduza said:
    [+1]

Tepig is from Tepid (warm)+pig
    Oshawott = Oshaw(???)++ Otter(the animal)

Changing the Region name was a big mistake, I couldn't agree more. It breaks the laces with the other regions and obliterates the pattern. Also, Unova is so... blergh...

Years
    The time has come.

For stupid English names.

I think I died a little inside when I saw Unova. Why can't it be Isshu? It's easier to say, but time will tell...

Oshawott. What is this I don't even-We got the Wotter right, be osha....what?

Tepig. Meh. As usual, Pokabu is in the middle.

Snivy. Another meh.

None of these sound better than their Jap. Names. To be honest, Sinnoh wins in my books for creative and good-sounding names. Infernape < Goukuzaru.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Unova sounds like a band or something, not a region in a video game.

So far, these namaes are all going downhill >_>

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I am very disappointed.

I'm not just gonna disagree, I'm gonna bombard.

Besides Snivy, NOBODY saw Oshawatt nor Tepig coming. Nobody on the internet ever typed those names before this day. And your dumb mind is calling them not just uncreative, but very uncreative? Do some reasoning before saying such claims.

Regardless of Snivy being a disappoint for the meme side, that does not actually matter. Why? Because it fits either way. And I'm going to defend these names to the end. It's not like any of you can do anything about it if you don't like them. Which if you don't, nobody is obligating you to play these games.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    Oh. My. God. Nintendo did a terrible job on Mijumaru's English name. Oshawott is the most terrible name I've ever heard. Tepig also sounds just terrible. I think Snivy is the best out of these, but it's still not the best. Thank God there's a nickname option.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Besides Snivy, NOBODY saw Oshawatt nor Tepig coming. Nobody on the internet ever typed those names before this day. And your dumb mind is calling them not just uncreative, but very uncreative? Do some reasoning before saying such claims.

Regardless of Snivy being a disappoint for the meme side, that does not actually matter. Why? Because it fits either way. And I'm going to defend these names to the end. It's not like any of you can do anything about it if you don't like them. Which if you don't, nobody is obligating you to play these games.
    Heeey, no saying people have a "dumb" mind. Watch what you say.

On another note, for some reason, Oshawott and Tepig sound really familiar like I've heard them from somewhere before, but it's weird, idk. XD;

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

Plus one can nickname their starters if they don't like the starters names :)
    Yeah Oshawatt and Tepig are quite creative, specially Oshawatt I can't tell how they thought up of that one...

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed in the names.
    Snivy and Tepig I can kind of get over (even if I do dislike them; Snivy is still the best name of the 3) but Oshawott? It seems like it's too long somehow, and it's awkward to say.
    I just can't ever see myself using the name without cringing inside. I'll definitely be renaming my little freckle-otter to something less horrifying. >_>

I also don't see why they felt like they had to rename the region. Isshu sounds a lot better to me than Unova. Oh well. At least I'm not alone in my disappointment, I guess.

On a lighter note, the German name for Pokabu makes me giggle. "Floink". :3

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back