• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    Oh...

I'm not very fond of any of these names...

Snivy - Eww...and it kinda smells like someone sneezing or something
    Tepig - sTupid...
    Oshawatt - Osha-what?

These are just...disappointing. I'm just gonna nickname them with their japanese names...

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Official English Name DiscussionOfficial English Name DiscussionOfficial English Name Discussion

I knew no matter what, Smugleaf could not exist. XD; But for those who will be really disappointed with this, there's always the nicknaming feature. I'm really satisfied with Tsutaja's English name, and I think Snivy fits the bill. Somehow earlier today a fellow friend of mine mentioned this name for it and when I heard it was to be so, I was really shocked. I mentioned earlier on if Tsutaja were not to be named Smugleaf that would be good, but would the name they come up with be as good? To answer my own question I'd have to say yes, and for Tsutaja this was definitely good.

...Tepig. Whenever I say this name I think of "The Pig". I find this name way too generic and bland. Pokabu was a fine name and to turn into this is a notch down on Nintendo's behalf. :(

Lastly, the one I have the most isshu's with, Oshawott. First question to Nintendo; really? Oshawatt. I can't even say the name with a straight face. To me, I find Oshawatt more of a Japanese name than Mijumaru. I would have been happy with keeping Mijumaru as the English name and I'm sure many would agree with me on this as well. u_u

This is all going to take a bit to sink in for me. I'm a little disappointed and I expected none of this (excluding Snivy) to be the official English names for the starters + the additional news we received. Let's hope the starter evolutions have better English names for the three though.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Snivy, i can live with, but im used to Smugleaf so itll be force of habit :P

Tepig? seriously? you name it "The Pig"... damn even Nintendo of USA hates the worthless pig, but even i wouldnt go that far :/

OshaWOTTER <---- you all called it lol Wotter lives strong :P i like the name, but Mijumaru is still a cuter name :P

Years
    Took this from Pokebeach.

"Isshu region: Unova Region (Either from "United states 'OV' America" or the Latin words "Unum" + "Nova," which mean "One New")"

Wow. Cool origin, but name is still crap.

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
    I think Oshawott sounds cute... c:

It reminds me of an ocelot, which is a freaking adorable animal.

As for Snivy, I've gotten used to seeing it the past couple days so I'm okay with it. It's gonna take a little while not to think of Smugleaf though. xD

Tepig... I really don't know. The more I say it, the better I like it. I still like Pokabu better though... If the final evo's name is Emboar though, that will totally make up for it.

And Unova is okay, I guess. I don't really see why they would change it, but it's in our territory now, so we can name it whatever the heck we want. I'm mostly disappointed at the fact that I can't make cheesy "issue" puns.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Snivy, i can live with, but im used to Smugleaf so itll be force of habit :P

Tepig? seriously? you name it "The Pig"... damn even Nintendo of USA hates the worthless pig, but even i wouldnt go that far :/

OshaWOTTER <---- you all called it lol Wotter lives strong :P i like the name, but Mijumaru is still a cuter name :P
    It's Oshawott not Oshawotter...
    Also Tepig again comes from Tepid + Pig...

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    At last they're here!

From what I can tell, they seem to have a bit of a harsh first impression.
    It may take time to digest them.

Oshawott - Very odd. But I don't care. He's still going to be my choice.
    By the way, I think the first letter O has the short O sound, as in pot.

Snivy - Kind of catchy. At it isn't Smugleaf. That name has a rude sound to it.

Tepig - It's okay. Like I mentioned earlier, it may take time to get used to it.

The Unova Region - This sounds okay to me.
    To be honest, I didn't know that the Isshu region was going to have a name change.

I don't like those names. I'll stick with the Japanese ones, thanks. I do like the region name, though. The Unova region... It has a ring to it.

I'm with you all the way!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Where do you all get Tepid from?
    Tepid - lacking enthusiasm or conviction; half-hearted
    Also it could mean "warm" however tepid warmth is only slight.

I suppose it does make a little sense but if you look at it this way if you say Tepig really fast a couple of times, you might end up saying "Teh Pig" or "The Pig" and this is where we get it from. Either way I think this is name is too generic for Pokabu. :(

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Where do you all get Tepid from?

Also it could mean "warm" however tepid warmth is only slight.

I suppose it does make a little sense but if you look at it this way if you say Tepig really fast a couple of times, you might end up saying "Teh Pig" or "The Pig" and this is where we get it from. Either way I think this is name is too generic for Pokabu. :(

I'm starting to believe it is a long E sound.
    [TEE-PIG]
    I agree on the "Teh Pig" thing.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    In short, the names seem... rather alright to me. Snivy is my favourite of them - smugleaf was unlikely after all and this one seems to fit.

Tepig I find to be bland and 'eh' personally but it doesn't really concern me, and the third name is neat-sounding to me as well. As for the region, interesting that it's rather different to the Japanese name, but I'm ok with that. Neat that it seems to relate to the fact it is based off of America.

Of course, considering this fandom...
    This was a total waste of my entire time, it makes me so mad.
    Yes, names wasted your entire time. Never mind the game and that they're just names (following the likes of lickilicky and 'ekans' and etc) and they'll evolve anyways and so forth - the names are not 'creative' enough! -_- Also ignoring the fact that th Japanese names are also just as punny and arguably also 'bland and uncreative' a fair few times.

Ah, predictable. =)

Last edited:

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015

It's Oshawott not Oshawotter...
    Also Tepig again comes from Tepid + Pig...

Tepid + Pig is Serebiis explanation, & how many times where they wrong over the course of B&Ws jap release? quite a few times.

plus who would think Tepid Pig? it doesnt even fit :/
    The Pig is a much more obvious origin, not to mention, the names are highly uncreative as it is, obviously Nintendo of USA has lost creativity.

you so know they left the 'Er off merely to avoid the Meme :P

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I'm meh on the new names. Don't like their names, but don't dislike any names. Still going to use Smugleaf to piss people off, though.

Thunder_Brew_07

Friend of All Pokemon
    Years
    I really love the new starter names! I also couldn't be happier that Snivy's name isn't Smugleaf. That name was horrible. Snivy, Tepid, Oshawott are awesome!

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I officially love the names now, but Tepig needs to grow on me. Oshawott is the best and most creative!

I like the French name for Snivy. (Vipelierre)

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Took this from Pokebeach.

"Isshu region: Unova Region (Either from "United states 'OV' America" or the Latin words "Unum" + "Nova," which mean "One New")"

Wow. Cool origin, but name is still crap.

Is that so? Do you care to explain why the name is still "crap"?

Oh...

I'm not very fond of any of these names...

Snivy - Eww...and it kinda smells like someone sneezing or something
    Tepig - sTupid...
    Oshawatt - Osha-what?

These are just...disappointing. I'm just gonna nickname them with their japanese names...

Nobody's forcing you to be fond.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back