• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
  • These names are interesting...

Snivy - Sounds like a sniper or something. :P
    Tepig - It sounds like you're saying: "Teh pig". What is the origin of this name?
    Oshawott - I'm guessing this is from Ocean + Otter... But that sounds awkward. :<

The best would be Snivy, but I'm still choosing Mijuma--I mean Oshawott. Still though... I'm disappointed, though glad that Tsutarja's English name isn't Smugleaf.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I actually like Oshawott....it has a big shock factor and similar to Mijumaru itself will be the one that people hate at first....but I think out of the three it's the name with the most potential for people to love and get behind in the end. It's the most creative of the three names.

Unova......for some reason the name "Unova" keeps making me think of the country "Genovia" from that movie The Princess Diaries....not sure if I like it. However I think most of my "dislike" for Unova is more because I loved the name Isshu than anything else. :(

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
  • I like the names :3

Simple and predictable. That's how I like it.

Not some, "Wakiboniboombi" for some random cat Pokemon.

Mirby

Big ol' nerd
    Years
  • Osha as in On Site Health Agency. :D

Ahem. Not too happy with the names, although I'm getting used to them already. Especially since I already guessed the Nova = New part of Unova.

Tepig is obviously Tepid. Emboar is inevitable for it's final evo.

And Snivy suits Smugleaf.

Years
  • Oh gawd the new PKMN Region (Isshu) is called Unova. And the Starters are called Oshawott (Mijumaru) Tepig (Pokabu) Snivi (Tsutarja)

Going to take a while to get used too

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I. am. so. dissapointed. ;-; I thought the english names were going to be epic, but oh dear was I wrong. Like Team Fail said, I'll stick to the japanese names of these starters, but also like he said, Unova has a good ring to it, I don't mind that name.

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
  • I think Snivy is a good name for Tsutaja. Oshawott is better the Wotter. The Unova region? I wanted to explore Isshu!

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • Keep in mind Pokémon.com has not confirmed this. Serebii and Pokébeach could be wrong for all we know. It's been four hours since pokemonblackandwhite.com posted this and still no update on the main site. Also, simply typing pokemonblackandwhite.com into my browser resulted in a redirect to pokemonblackandwhite.net, which is still using the Japanese names as I type.

There should be a Pokémon.com confirmation in the next 24 hours if this is true.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Do you think Unova is pronounced like:

You-nova OR eww-nova OR un-ova (exactly how it's spelled)

I really hope it's the first one, it has the best ring to it.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • I predicted Snivy as soon as I learned not to be obsessed with Smugleaf.
    Check on the ONM and Pokemonworld forums if you like as proof *smirks*

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I posted SNIVY so long ago! I win again... bye ;)

Pikachu fan

SUSANOOMON IS NOT AMUSED
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    Oshawott=NOOOOOO!
    Tepig=NOOOOOO! should of called it Kaboo (coz it would've saved time in dubbing best wishes, and because i think it sounds cute.)
    Snivy=YEEEEEEEEEES!!! Awesome name way better than Smugleaf.
    Unova Region=Cool, makes sense coz gen 5 is basically the new gen 1

As for Zekrom and Reshiram's DexTypes they're pretty cool, but should've kept with White Yang and Black Ying

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • Once again, checking Pokémon.com... no confirmation. The Pokédex page also doesn't list them, though this may be to avoid spoiling Victini's existence to people who don't check Serebii.

They have until 9AM tomorrow (Eastern Standard Time) since GMT-14 as a time zone does exist if I remember correctly.

Edit: CONFIRMED! No confirmation on Unova quite yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back