• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    About Sawk, Australians kinda pronounce it like the first example, Vrai. Well, somewhat. But I'm pronouncing it as saw-k anyways, which is how Americans would say "sock", I'd assume. Or maybe I just say things weird, I dunno. :D And as for Throh (iirc), I don't like that name at all. I'm still not sure if I'm meant to call it "throw" or some weird pronounciation like "thraw-h" idk.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Hm... seems like TPCi might be good in thinking up the names and all that, they end up changing the characters in the words to the same sounding, they never really plan to always make it a direct translation, same with the text in the game with the messages and all that, when they do the messages... they remove the whole Japanese translation and make up their own sentences. Once they've done that... it's done. However... I have realized myself that when Pokémon games are finished debugging or even finished debugging with the text... they always make the consumers wait for 3 months before bringing it into the stores. I'm pretty sure the same thing is going to happen as what happened in Japan. They're going to bring it into the stores right near their release date and then at 12am, they open their doors for everyone to rush in and buy it. Or prahaps everyone is expected to wait until 9am when they hold the big live event (like what they did with Diamond and Pearl versions). I'm actually surprised that the official website has not even announced the names of the towns in the game (except for Castelia City of course). I wonder to myself what the starting town will be? I'm thinking it will be something like 'Gridgrain Town' or 'Polkagrid Town'. When Pokémon.com announced Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl, they announced the town name "Twinleaf Town", yet... it's taking a while for them to do so. I still wonder to myself if they will ever reveal it? I've sent an email to the customer service... yet they have not replied about it, not even to the leaked info of the Pokémon names that have not been officially revealed.

Honestly, I never really felt that lack of development during my play-through of White. I think it depends on your own personal perspective of effort and lazyness, but for me it had a good amount of things to do. Near the end it felt a bit rushed I admit, but really, it wasn't as bad as that article is making it sound. Try it out yourself if you get the chance! It really is a great addition to the Pokemon series, and I'm fully satisfied.

I think I finally picked out my favorite English names : Mienfoo and Mienshao.
    Something about how they flow and what they pun is great stuff. <3

Wow... we're in the generation of things mainly focused on graphics and some new features. The removal of losing HP outside of battle when a Pokémon is poisoned in Pokémon Black and Pokémon White remind me of the PC game Command & Conquer 4 in how they removed the feature in which you could destroy normal trees and buildings. It just feels the same way... same impact... but I do think they removed the losing HP outside of battle when a Pokémon was poisoned because they thought "I think we should remove it because it'll make it easier so that people won't have to rush back to a Pokémon Center". The poisoned effect outside of battle made the game feel more realistic... but now it feels strange because of the change.

Last edited:

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Oh Arceus, I just saw them. THANK YOU ARCEUS FOR NOT EFFIN' UP JALORDA AND ULGAMOTH. I SHALL FOREVER BE GRATEFUL. <333 BRB PRAYIN'...

Snivy, Servine, Serperior - YES YES YES YES YES DADDY IS PLEASED. <3

Tepig, Pignite, Emboar - YES YES YES YES YES DO WANT.

Wott, Wott, Wott - WUT? WOT? OWUT? OWOTT? LOLOTT? SAMUROTT?

Zebstrika - lol Čeština Polski Srpki

Unfezant - Not using that, lol. They ****ed it up, so Kenhorou it stays.

Iscraggy, Iscraffty - LOL I LOVE IT. SO DERPY.

Minccino, Cinccino - CHE? ITALIANO? SI, SI, SI. AMO L'ITALIANO. WOULD YOU LIKE A HALF-FAT MINCINNO? PERHAPS A GRANDE CINCCINO WITH UIPPI CREAMU?

Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus - J'adore. <3

Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe - ¡Los quiero, los adoro, les compro un toro!

Foongoos, Amoongus - A fun goose evolved into a moon goose!

Alomomola - I get the Pacific language reference, but I will forever associate Hermione and Mamanbou now because of Alohomora (the lock-picking/door-opening spell).

Joltik, Galvuntula - Epic ****ing win.

Chandelure - If you say this with a French pronunciation, it sounds merveilleux.

Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon - LOLWAS? DEUTSCHEREFERENCE? ICH LIEBE THIS. <3

Larvesta, Volcarona - ¡Me gustan, me gustan mucho! :D

Everything else - 'S either okay or horrible, but doesn't matter either way if the names are here to stay.

Last edited:

Jabberwocky

A man ain't nothin' but a man
    Years
  • Not too fond of the new names, TBH :X

I mean, I guess I'll get used to them with time, but "Snivy" I don't think I'll ever get over. It's way too simple and way too obvious. It's like they didn't even try.

Haxorus, meanwhile, is the most epic name in the history of names.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Haxorus, meanwhile, is the most epic name in the history of names.

I predict everyone single Haxorus trainer will name theirs one of the following:

- Haxorus
    - Haxxorz
    - Haxxer
    - Haxxx
    - Haxx R Us
    - Haxx Russ
    - Ha Xorus
    - Hax Orus
    - Russhaxor
    - R U Haxxin
    - HaXxXorZ

Personally I prefer Hydreigon's name. I like that they went all German on my ass (lots of Germans in NYC, are there? I didn't know that o.o) and instead of going for the obvious "Hydragon", they got the "drei" in there. To be honest, what I'm most surprised about regarding these names is that so many of them look un-English... No offense to you Amurricans, but aren't ye lot supposed to be monolingual? What's all this "Zebstrika" and "Cinccino" and "Zweilos" nonsense? I thought American kids could barely read English, let alone other languages.

Most likely, half of these names will be butchered. Save of the kids who took German, most of them will probably wreck Zweilos' name and go all "zweeelows" instead of "tsvaeeloss". I mean, let's face it, [ts] + [v] is practically brain-breaking for English speakers. XD Ofc, those of you who speak something other than eeengleeesh needn't take offense, ofc. And those who don't needn't either; I'm poking harmless fun at the stereotype that Americans are monolingual, even though this isn't the case as often as most people think, lol.

All I know is, I can see plenty of people s-s-sttrugg-g-gling with these names; my friend from Ohio just complained she can't pronounce half of these, and I can't help but go, "Oh Arceus, here we go... I expect I'll be hearing that often in the months to come". :P I do apologize if I come off as rude; as someone that studies languages and linguistics and is well on his way to being a polyglot, I can't help but be a smug fat grass snake and look down on people who can only speak one language. :]

/is secretly a Serperior irl

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
  • My favourite names are Swadloon, Alomomola (Fun to say), Larvesta, Volcarona,
    (Very good, and just fun to say) Minccino, Cinccino, (They just sound fun. I dunno why.) Purrloin, (Quite catchy for me, but i don't like Liepard) Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon. (I know sorta german and i got amused when i saw the names)
    I don't like Jotik, Eelectrik (because of "k" at the end of the names), Sigilyph (It's fun to write but somewhat awkward to spell) and Axew. I don't have idea how to spell it, and it's annoying me for some reason...
    Overall, i think the names are quite good, but they could be just a tiny bit better.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I like some of the names, but others just seem not to have much creativity. I don't remember any times when fan-made names turned out to be the real ones, and for me sometimes the names are extremely easy to see where it comes from. An example is Snivy, where I immediatley see Snake + Ivy as compared to say, Bulbasaur, where at first it looks like a new word but later see the words it comes from.

I don't know maybe its just me though.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    An example is Snivy, where I immediatley see Snake + Ivy as compared to say, Bulbasaur, where at first it looks like a new word but later see the words it comes from.

I don't know maybe its just me though.

I immediately see Bulb and Dinosaur...

and in fact I don't see "Snake" in Snivy as quickly. The only way I can figure it out fairly fast is because the pokemon is the grass snake pokemon.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

I predict everyone single Haxorus trainer will name theirs one of the following:

- Haxorus
    - Haxxorz
    - Haxxer
    - Haxxx
    - Haxx R Us
    - Haxx Russ
    - Ha Xorus
    - Hax Orus
    - Russhaxor
    - R U Haxxin
    - HaXxXorZ
    Hahahahaha, I love Haxx R Us and R U Haxxin XD good predictions though!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I pronounce Sawk Sss (like hissing)-ahh-kkk kind of does sound like Sock but longer...
    Serperior... I think someone actually predicted that name...wow the Snivy line was the most predictable...I like the name though best one yet:D!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ummm am I the only one that thinks "Servine" (iirc) = Serpent + vine, along with Serperior = Serpent + Superior. Which would mean that Snivy = Serpent + Ivy. D: Then again grass snake, okay nevermind.

Nevermind the above, apparently I can't read the "n" in Snivy. XD

They should've made it the grass serpent then it would be logical, cause Snake > Serpent > Serpent... idk :(

Or at least come up with a third name for a snake!
    (Though I do like the latter two, I just really only hate Snivy)

Last edited:

Years
  • Ummm am I the only one that thinks "Servine" (iirc) = Serpent + vine, along with Serperior = Serpent + Superior. Which would mean that Snivy = Serpent + Ivy. D: Then again grass snake, okay nevermind.

They should have made it the grass serpent then it would be logical, cause Snake > Serpent > Serpent... idk :(

Or at least come up with a third name for a snake!
    (Though I do like the latter two, I just really only hate Snivy)
    Yeah Snivy comes from Snake and ivy :).
    I like Snivy as it was the first Pokemon English name I predicted right plus it sounds cool to me like how I imagine a pokemon snake would be named :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Yeah Snivy comes from Snake and ivy :).
    I like Snivy as it was the first Pokemon English name I predicted right plus it sounds cool to me like how I imagine a pokemon snake would be named :)

But Serpent Ivy would be so much more logical to me. :(
    ...wait I forgot all about the "n" in its name, nevermind. I'll go dig myself a hole to hide in. >___>;

I don't think I predicted any names right, except for Emboar being logical.

As for Snivy, even now, I've sort of forgotten "Tsutaaja" and I just refer to it as Snivy in my brain but I'm unlikely to actually... type or say Snivy that often.

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Grah. I still need to get used to the names. Due to my amazing memory, I now know the english names for all pokemon, but I still refer to the new ones by japanese. For example: Guy sends out Cofagrigus, I shout, "Oh, a Desukan!" "Wait, Cofagrigus."

Years

• But Serpent Ivy would be so much more logical to me. :(
    ...wait I forgot all about the "n" in its name, nevermind. I'll go dig myself a hole to hide in. >___>;

I don't think I predicted any names right, except for Emboar being logical.

As for Snivy, even now, I've sort of forgotten "Tsutaaja" and I just refer to it as Snivy in my brain but I'm unlikely to actually... type or say Snivy that often.
    I was surprised that my prediction of Snivy (and a few other people of course :) ) and others prediction of Emboar came true though it was a nice suprise from GF :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay so I think I have 112 English names memorised not even purposely (wouldn't it suck if a few turned out to be fake?) and I found that there's a pattern for remembering names kinda. Those who I never learnt the Japanese names of, I find it hard to remember the English names of, it's... weird. XD;

@MRAS: Well, Snivy was something I really was hoping it wouldn't be, but honestly, I'm just so glad it never turned out to be Smugleaf. And Emboar is such a nice name so it makes me glad that it was chosen (still, saying this all with a ~just incase these names are fake~ mindset. XD)

Years
  • I guess one could be skeptical as Emboar is a fan name one tends to be skeptical when a Fan name is actually used...so it's not 100 % confirmed yet I'm guessing by your statement Miss. F :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back