• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I really like the name Braviary for Wargle. I really couldn't think of anything better, and the English name suits it so much. n_n If anything, it suits an eagle with those colors more than Wargle does. Braviary just seems to fit the design it has well, and I kind of prefer it more than its Japanese name.

Gilgαmesh

This is just me, but I found the name Wargle to be uninteresting the moment the Pokemon was sort of revealed. I mean, to be quite honest, it was pretty lame. @__@; I'm glad something like Braviary came along, at least it sounds a lot better than it's Japanese name.

This is not common for me to say because I usually don't like the English names and would prefer the Japanese names of most of the Gen V pokemon.

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    I recently became attached to the name Leavanny. Now I can't stop thinking about it... It's such an awesome name.

Elsword

I'm Not Sure About This
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011
    Wargle(ヴォーグル) should've stayed the same. After all, part of the name came from the German word 'Vogel' which means bird.

Wargle makes me think "gargle" and "warble" and it sounds awkward.
    I prefer Braviary.

And about the "vogel" thing, I doubt Gamefreak had that word in mind when deciding Braviary's name.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
    I like the starters names, I think they sounds good, but some are just awful, uncreative and downright rough to try and say. Maybe when everything's out and after time it'll grow on me but right now I don't like most of them :(

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Yeah Whirlipede was a really lame/boring/uncreative/obvious. I mean come on how uncreative could they get naming it? It doesn't even sound good! \

Krookodile is fine.

Abra? And it evolves into Kadabra?

Man, how lame/boring/uncreative/obvious. I mean, they're obvious magical words! And then Alakazam.

Man, can Game Freak lose any more creativity?

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Yeah Whirlipede was a really lame/boring/uncreative/obvious. I mean come on how uncreative could they get naming it? It doesn't even sound good! \

Krookodile is fine.

D; D; D; D; D;

Whirlipede is so funny sounding though!

Krookodile sounds too much like crocodile and I didn't really see why they would name it something so similar to the actual word :/ I just dont like it because it sounds so uncreative.

I like Braviary but I loved wargle. Wargle sounded so much... idk I just loved it XD\

lol my lame/boring/uncreative/obvious is really a catch on XD

Elsword

I'm Not Sure About This
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011
    Seel sounds too much like seal and I didn't really see why they would name it something so similar to the actual word :/ I just dont like it because it sounds so uncreative.

:/

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah yeah we all get the sarcasm (or maybe not for the last post), but try to relate back to at least -one- Black and White English name in your posts, kay?

I think besides Klink, most of the names are kinda creative, and as mentioned, the puns in most generations usually suck, and it isn't that bad. Think about it, would you rather have Emboar or Flapig (example sucks okay), Whirlepede or CirclularBug... well, you get the point. I think we should be greatful we didn't get Smugleaf at least.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    I believe that the Game Translators need to pay attention to the community. While their names aren't bad, some of the fan nicknames were superior.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2014
    Haxorus? That's hilarious, but totally fitting. I totally called Hydreigon, though I predicted Hydragon which is close enough, without the 'drei'. (drei means 3 btw, in case it didn't make sense to someone)

Years
    I'd like to challenge those who say the names are uncreative and bad, to come up with something better themselves. ;)

I like just about 99% of them. Chandelure, Braviary, Seismitoad, Hydreigon, are some favorites. The only names I despise are Sawk and Throh, mostly because I still hate those Pokemon. And the masterlist of names that Pokebeach put up is validated, so these are official people. Get used to 'em. And I can sit back and laugh in a few months when everybody is in love with the names, and B/W is the best game series ever.

Last edited:

lucariopulse333

Yeah you
    Years
    • Age 27
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 26, 2019
    Hydreigon has the word drei in it, which means 3 in german so it's name is indicating about his heads. Same with Zweilous cos Zwei is 2 in german. (:

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    If there's one name I compltely detest, that would be Tepig. >,> I mean, what where they thinking while naming it? Teh Pig?
    Tepig actually grew on me. :3

I seriously love the new Pokemon names. Except for those hard to pronounce like Cofagrigus or Beeheyem (how do you pronounce that? Is that B-H-E-M (like an acronym?) or beHEEyem?)

I love the names Serperior, Unfezant, Pawniard and Bisharp. Ahahaha.

BUT AUDINO DOES NOT FIT TABUNNE. ._.
    [/reposted]

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    I think they could have been a little more creative with the starter's name but oh well, they're not terrible!

The starter names are never creative.

Turtwig. Turtle twig.
    Bulbasaur. Bulb dinosaur
    Chikorita. Probably the most creative name. Chikory + ita (Spanish feminine prefix)
    Treecko. Tree gecko
    Snivy. Snake ivy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back