• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Well well well, Zweilious.

I'm sorry, but the Hydreigon line has some of the most creative and funny names for a hydra. Zweilious is first of all an amazing name, I;m surprised Gamefreak had intelligence when they came up with that one, and it rolls off the tongue, besides much better than Jiheddo, right?

Go Zweilious!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Well well well, Zweilious.

I'm sorry, but the Hydreigon line has some of the most creative and funny names for a hydra. Zweilious is first of all an amazing name, I;m surprised Gamefreak had intelligence when they came up with that one, and it rolls off the tongue, besides much better than Jiheddo, right?

Go Zweilious!
    I agree with you here. The Deino line have very creative names. Zweilous now beats Zubat as the last Pokemon in ABC order. Hydreigon is one of the best English names this generation, IMO.

If you're interested, here are their meanings:
    -Zweilous: "zwei," the German word for "two" and "jealous," because its heads dislike each other.
    -Hydreigon: "hydra" (even though it's supposed to be based on another kind of dragon, it looks like a hydra as well), "drei," the German word for "three" and "dragon."

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    where did u get that info from a site or magazine?

What info exactly? Most of the information gets leaked, or either mentioned through the official Nintendo magazine, or alternatively from the official site.

I agree with you here. The Deino line have very creative names. Zweilous now beats Zubat as the last Pokemon in ABC order. Hydreigon is one of the best English names this generation, IMO.

If you're interested, here are their meanings:
    -Zweilous: "zwei," the German word for "two" and "jealous," because its heads dislike each other.
    -Hydreigon: "hydra" (even though it's supposed to be based on another kind of dragon, it looks like a hydra as well), "drei," the German word for "three" and "dragon."

I don't really like the name, it's hard to pronounce and...I dunno. Haxorus and Cofagrigus are the best names, Hydreigon sounds strange when pronouncing it!

I pronounce it as Hi-Dree-Gon btw. :(

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Deino - Duyno (Like "buy" or "bye")
    Zweilous - Tzweilous
    Hydreigon - Hidruygon
    I think it's how it's pronouced. I don't see any difficulty in saying it, too. :/

Nameless.

Seems they are making a lot of unnecessary name changes.
    Pokeshifter's more fun to say, but I guess Poke Transfer is easier to remember.

Does anyone know where the inspiration for the names Emmet and Ingo came from? I can't tell really, and it's a bit confusing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Hey guys, looks like the Pokeshifter is now known as the Poke Transfer, according to Serebii.

Why did they...

Then why does:
    Nothing really interesting for this new update.

The Official Nintendo Magazine in Uk has confirmed that the mode to transfer Pokèmon to B/W from IV Gen games known as Pokèshifter keeps its name, without any modify.
    And, the Battle Subway (also this confirmed) Bosses, known as Nobori and Kudari, are now Emmet and Ingo (the first is the black suit one, the second is the white suit one, here it is an artwork of them.)

Say otherwise? D: I like the name Pokeshifter :(( Transfer not so much.

edit: Just read. Really I wish they would stop changing names for really, well, no reason at all. I'm fine with Pokemon name changes, but feature name changes is kind of annoying, especially since they do sound better in the Japanese versions.

Last edited:

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    With all the false info going around, it may be that the list still contains inaccuracies (remember, Croagunk, Shinx, Shellos, and Cresselia were reported wrong.) Anyway, the ROM will be leaked in about a week so we can confirm everything then.

As for Poké Transfer vs. Pokéshifter... this is one of the few times I trust the official site when there's a conflict. ONM probably got their info through direct translation, just like Game Informer did for the starters.

bilzandpap

Who DOESN'T love Conkeldurr???
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    ALL POKEMON NAMES RELEASED.

Tsutaja - Snivy
    Janobii - Servine
    Jaroda - Serperior
    Pokabu - Tepig
    Chaobuu - Pignite
    Embuo - Emboar (saw that coming)
    Mijumar - Oshawott
    Futachimar - Dewott
    Daikenki - Samurott
    Minezumi - Patrat
    Millhog - Watchog
    Yooterii - Lillipup
    Herterrier - Herdier
    Muurand - Stoutland (what???)
    Choroneko - Purrloin
    Repaldus - Liepard
    Yanappu - Pansage (Pan is a greek god of nature, and the rest of the monkey names are pretty obvious)
    Yanaki - Simisage (Where'd the Simi come from?)
    Baoppu - Pansear
    Baoki - Simisear
    Hiyappu - Panpour
    Hiyaki - Simipour
    Munna - Munna
    Musharna - Musharna (so glad those at least stayed the same)
    Mamepato - Pidove
    Hatoopoo - Tranquill
    Kenhorow - Unfezant

I'm not going to post any more cause I didn't have time to read all 53 pages and maybe someone already put it up, but pokemondb.com has them all.

Years
    ALL POKEMON NAMES RELEASED.

Tsutaja - Snivy
    Janobii - Servine
    Jaroda - Serperior
    Pokabu - Tepig
    Chaobuu - Pignite
    Embuo - Emboar (saw that coming)
    Mijumar - Oshawott
    Futachimar - Dewott
    Daikenki - Samurott
    Minezumi - Patrat
    Millhog - Watchog
    Yooterii - Lillipup
    Herterrier - Herdier
    Muurand - Stoutland (what???)
    Choroneko - Purrloin
    Repaldus - Liepard
    Yanappu - Pansage (Pan is a greek god of nature, and the rest of the monkey names are pretty obvious)
    Yanaki - Simisage (Where'd the Simi come from?)
    Baoppu - Pansear
    Baoki - Simisear
    Hiyappu - Panpour
    Hiyaki - Simipour
    Munna - Munna
    Musharna - Musharna (so glad those at least stayed the same)
    Mamepato - Pidove
    Hatoopoo - Tranquill
    Kenhorow - Unfezant

I'm not going to post any more cause I didn't have time to read all 53 pages and maybe someone already put it up, but pokemondb.com has them all.

Simi comes from simian, which is another word for monkey. ...At least I think it is. xD

Years
    I really like all of the names for the Pokemon,Trainers,Places,Attacks,Abilities and Items. They are all really cool. These names are really awesome and very creative.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I don't have a problem with the female's name as Whitlea. Sure, it sounds like white {Big shocker huh? /sarcasm} but my name's Whitney and it's good to have a female character that's not super-girlish and looks like she can actually stand if someone pushes her. x.x

God, the Gym Leader Whitney... she started crying after I beat her.. that's not someone I want to share a name with, lol. At least she has a Miltank full of win.

Togakiss

Stay calm and collective.
    Years
    I'm really impressed with the all the names that they came up with which isn't a surprise because the Pokemon company never fails to impress me.

I don't have a problem with the female's name as Whitlea. Sure, it sounds like white {Big shocker huh? /sarcasm} but my name's Whitney and it's good to have a female character that's not super-girlish and looks like she can actually stand if someone pushes her. x.x

Everyone loves a girl that can stand up for herself, which is why I love the new female character and her name. :)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I like all of the names for the places :)
    The main chracters names though aren't my favorite...I perfer May, Brandon, Dawn and Lucas to Whitlea and ...what was the boys name again? Though at least we can name them ^-^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back