• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Official Hack Checking Thread

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
  • Ah well it does say celebis were always checked so I was being cautious

Honestly, big props to you for actually reading the rules! But that one in particular was written when the only way a legitimate shiny Celebi could be obtained was by soft-resetting at full odds in Pokemon Crystal VC. Now that is has been released as a Serial Code in Sword and Shield and a special event Research Quest in Pokemon Go, I think it's safe to say that you can expect them to be legitimate if they come from either source (Serial Code is an event that will always have the same details as yours, PoGo Pokemon will have a mark to show it is from Pokemon Go).

Years
    • She/her
    • Seen Mar 26, 2024
    I can read a 1000 page book in a day. Reading the rules just takes a few extra minutes of time. And it helps me know what's going on. How am I supposed to know how it works without reading lol.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Are pokemon from pokemon.co hacked. Because I got one in a suprise trade

It's very hard trying to find info on "pokemon.co" because searching it online takes you to the Pokemon Company's website, but in a different language. Trying to add a few more search terms didn't help in narrowing down a source. To me, it is most likely hacked, with the Pokemon having that OT to trick people who don't know better that it's a legitimate event Pokemon from the Pokemon Company (or "Pokemon Co."). There has been no event with that OT, but also without knowing more specifically about the Pokemon received, it's hard to say if they're hacked for certain.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Pokémon: Solgaleo
    Shiny: Y
    OT: Eclipse
    ID: 100419
    Level: 60
    Region of Origin: Alola (FRE)
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Full Metal Body
    Ribbons: None
    Location Met & Level Met: Alola, Fateful Encounter
    Where/how you recieved it: GTS in HOME
    Individual Values/Characteristic: 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

I initially considered that this was someone cloning their Gen 7 events then bringing them forward, as I keep seeing a few shiny Solgaleo. However the lack of a ribbon (the event should have the Classic Ribbon according to Bulbapedia), leads me to believe this is a hack.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Pokémon: Solgaleo
    Shiny: Y
    OT: Eclipse
    ID: 100419
    Level: 60
    Region of Origin: Alola (FRE)
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Full Metal Body
    Location Met & Level Met: Alola, Fateful Encounter
    Where/how you recieved it: GTS in HOME

I initially considered that this was someone cloning their Gen 7 events then bringing them forward, as I keep seeing a few shiny Solgaleo. However the lack of a ribbon (the event should have the Classic Ribbon according to Bulbapedia), leads me to believe this is a hack.

Your hunch is correct! Event Pokemon cannot be put on GTS or Wonder Trade, unless, as happened in your case, the event ribbon was forcibly removed.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Your hunch is correct! Event Pokemon cannot be put on GTS or Wonder Trade, unless, as happened in your case, the event ribbon was forcibly removed.

Oh well. I didn't give away anything too valuable for it (which was actually the main red flag hence my assumption about cloning), and it got me one step closer to the OC Magearna! Gorgeous too, one of my favourite shinies.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Pokémon: Zeraora
    Shiny: No
    OT: フウラシティ
    ID: 180713
    Level: 50
    Region of Origin: Alola
    Nature: Gentle
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Ribbons: Wishing Ribbon
    Location Met & Level Met: Fateful encounter in the Alola region on 02/16/2020
    Where/how you recieved it: I think it was from a giveaway
    Individual Values/Characteristic: 4 Best, 2 Decent
    Effort Values: (In gen 7, go on the Summary page and press Y): HP 163, Attack 132, Defense 85, Speed 163, Sp. Def 93, Sp. Att 108

On Serebii, it's stated that the start date and end date is 13 July 2018 - 30 September 2018. If the encounter was in 2020, could this be fake?

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    On Serebii, it's stated that the start date and end date is 13 July 2018 - 30 September 2018. If the encounter was in 2020, could this be fake?

I'm not an expert so there could be other indicators, but I wouldn't discount it just based on that. They could have been manipulating the clock on their console for grinding - do it long enough and you'll end up years ahead!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Got a couple of my own here that's questionable. I'm hoping just cloned!

Magikarp
    Shiny
    OT: (Chinese, kinda looks like N and then T)
    ID: 672121
    Level 1
    Galar
    Jolly
    Swift Swim
    Jolly
    Egg hatched Route 5, Egg received in link trade
    GTS Wonder Trade
    Perfect IVs
    Lure Ball

Skeptical that anyone bred so many shiny Magikarp they give a perfect Jolly one away on Wonder Trade...

Politoed
    Shiny
    OT: ASH
    ID: 35372
    Lv. 50
    ...travelled across space and time...Kanto
    Timid
    Water Absorb
    Champion Ribbon (Hoenn), Effort Ribbon, Artist Ribbon, Contest Memory Ribbon x20, Battle Memory Ribbon x2
    GTS Trade
    31 / Ft / 31 / Ft / 31 / Ft
    Max SpA, Spe

I think this is legit due to the ribbons. 3 IVs would be very difficult to do in Gen III, but not impossible. I think its their pride and joy so they've had it cloned a lot, then put it up for trade. But still, GTS shinies are dodgy (got an obviously hacked Chandelure, as well as that Solgaleo that was most likely legit before its ribbon was removed).

Swablu
    Shiny
    OT: Japanese, kinda like a reverse C or an M thats slanting to the left, then two squares
    ID: 62148
    Lv. 1
    Unova
    Impish
    Natural Cure
    Fateful Encounter
    GTS Trade
    PG / PG / PG / D / D / D

I think this is possibly a cloned Year of the Dragon Egg Pokémon - they were JPN-exclusive, Fateful Encounter but no ribbons, in an ordinary Poké Ball.

Obstagoon
    Shiny
    OT: Shiny24.com
    ID: 784810
    Lv. 100
    Galar
    Adamant
    Defiant
    Pokémon Den
    GTS Trade
    31 / Ft / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

The website claims their Pokémon are legit, normally I'd dismiss it out of hand but normally GTS is pretty good on hacks, particularly made in the current generation...and it says it was at a Pokémon Den so maybe it was just resets?

Last edited:

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Pokémon: Zeraora
    Shiny: No
    OT: フウラシティ
    ID: 180713
    Level: 50
    Region of Origin: Alola
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Ribbons: Wishing Ribbon
    Location Met & Level Met: Fateful encounter in the Alola region on 02/16/2020
    Where/how you recieved it: I think it was from a giveaway
    Individual Values/Characteristic: 4 Best, 2 Decent
    Effort Values: (In gen 7, go on the Summary page and press Y): HP 163, Attack 132, Defense 85, Speed 163, Sp. Def 93, Sp. Att 108

There's a few reasons it could have that date:
    1. It could have been picked up at a much later date. The date received in gen 7 is tied to the day you pick it up from the mail man, but theoretically it can sit there for years and years.
    2. As Amore mentioned, it just happened that the date on the 3DS was set to a different time for whatever reason.
    3. It's hacked. The OT probably figured out how to inject Wonder Cards some years after the event and did so to get the event.

Based on the OT given, this was the Zeraora event that was distributed in-person at the movie theaters in Japan for a few months. If the Pokemon has an English name, then it's very likely that it was injected through hacks (the event may be Japanese but the Pokemon's name will always change to the region of the 3DS; hard to believe that an English player was in Japan to pick up the event and then gave away the Pokemon).

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Got a couple of my own here that's questionable. I'm hoping just cloned!

Magikarp
    Shiny
    OT: (Chinese, kinda looks like N and then T)
    ID: 672121
    Level 1
    Galar
    Jolly
    Swift Swim
    Jolly
    Egg hatched Route 5, Egg received in link trade
    GTS Wonder Trade
    Perfect IVs
    Lure Ball

Skeptical that anyone bred so many shiny Magikarp they give a perfect Jolly one away on Wonder Trade...
    It's suspicious, there's nothing that definitely gives it away. Cloning however is a pain in the Arceus if you don't have a Missingno, and if you went through the effort to clone it otherwise just to give away on the GTS...it was probably just hacked it.

Politoed
    Shiny
    OT: ASH
    ID: 35372
    Lv. 50
    ...travelled across space and time...Kanto
    Timid
    Water Absorb
    Champion Ribbon (Hoenn), Effort Ribbon, Artist Ribbon, Contest Memory Ribbon x20, Battle Memory Ribbon x2
    GTS Trade
    31 / Ft / 31 / Ft / 31 / Ft
    Max SpA, Spe

I think this is legit due to the ribbons. 3 IVs would be very difficult to do in Gen III, but not impossible. I think its their pride and joy so they've had it cloned a lot, then put it up for trade. But still, GTS shinies are dodgy (got an obviously hacked Chandelure, as well as that Solgaleo that was most likely legit before its ribbon was removed).
    Honestly, the remaining IVs are somewhat important. If it's all 31s and 30s, then you know it's hacked. They just kept the 30s in to get the Hidden Power of their choice (back when it still existed, Hidden Power is a move that changed types based on IVs). If the IVs are 30, then it's probably not good eugenics that got it its IVs.

Swablu
    Shiny
    OT: Japanese, kinda like a reverse C or an M thats slanting to the left, then two squares
    ID: 62148
    Lv. 1
    Unova
    Impish
    Natural Cure
    Fateful Encounter
    GTS Trade
    PG / PG / PG / D / D / D

I think this is possibly a cloned Year of the Dragon Egg Pokémon - they were JPN-exclusive, Fateful Encounter but no ribbons, in an ordinary Poké Ball.
    Biggest indicator here is the name and met date. If the Swablu's name is in English and/or the met date doesn't exactly line-up (i.e. it's past 2017), then it's most likely obtained from the DNS exploit. Not technically hacked, but not considered legitimate in the circles that care about that.

Obstagoon
    Shiny
    OT: Shiny24.com
    ID: 784810
    Lv. 100
    Galar
    Adamant
    Defiant
    Pokémon Den
    GTS Trade
    31 / Ft / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

The website claims their Pokémon are legit, normally I'd dismiss it out of hand but normally GTS is pretty good on hacks, particularly made in the current generation...and it says it was at a Pokémon Den so maybe it was just resets?
    I had a look at the site and I find it hilarious that in the FAQ section, they specifically avoided the word legitimate;
    Spoiler:

Italics mine. Basically, it's still very possible to hack a Raid and change IVs/shininess however you like and host that raid, so long as that species is usually available as a raid mon (that's basically all GF did in their crackdown, was to remove illegal species). But they did opt to not go for 31 in Atk, it's main offensive stat. Who knows, there's a small chance it could be real.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Spoiler:

Ah well, I already have a legit-seeming one anyway!

Ft = Fantastic = 30 so yeah I'm going hack :(

Swablu's name is also in Japanese, but AFAIK you can't get a met date from sonething that came from Bank in-game? So it says "Fateful Encounter on 9/25/22" but my shiny Gyarados I brought forward from HeartGold says met 10/4/22 - that's when it was transferred forward 8 generations. Although looking at all my other events, they have kept their dates...but none are from Gen V or earlier I don't believe, except some that are DNS Exploit. So do Fateful Encounter ones keep the met dates when brought forward?

God, that one actually requires thinking about. Still, it makes me certain my shiny Gardevoir is legit as Bulbapedia says anything transferred from XD will have 'Fateful Encounter' as their met!

Regarding Obstagoon, I don't see anyone making money off this going fully legit, I released it. Sadly that means my shiny Flygon is questionable - pretty sure I got in a raid hosted by DadShinies or something like that.

EDIT: Ooh, I got one more that might warrant thinking over. I am learning from your checks though, I dismissed a few things found through my GTS obsession out of hand.

Ditto
    Shiny
    OT: Solal (FRE)
    ID: 199949
    Lv. 100
    Sinnoh
    Hardy (Relaxed Mint)
    Imposter
    GTS Trade
    31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
    252 HP / 252 Def
    Infectious PKRUS

I traded an Enamorus for it (the Enamorus was definitely cloned)

Last edited:

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Ah well, I already have a legit-seeming one anyway!

Ft = Fantastic = 30 so yeah I'm going hack :(

Swablu's name is also in Japanese, but AFAIK you can't get a met date from sonething that came from Bank in-game? So it says "Fateful Encounter on 9/25/22" but my shiny Gyarados I brought forward from HeartGold says met 10/4/22 - that's when it was transferred forward 8 generations. Although looking at all my other events, they have kept their dates...but none are from Gen V or earlier I don't believe, except some that are DNS Exploit. So do Fateful Encounter ones keep the met dates when brought forward?

God, that one actually requires thinking about. Still, it makes me certain my shiny Gardevoir is legit as Bulbapedia says anything transferred from XD will have 'Fateful Encounter' as their met!

Regarding Obstagoon, I don't see anyone making money off this going fully legit, I released it. Sadly that means my shiny Flygon is questionable - pretty sure I got in a raid hosted by DadShinies or something like that.

EDIT: Ooh, I got one more that might warrant thinking over. I am learning from your checks though, I dismissed a few things found through my GTS obsession out of hand.

Ditto
    Shiny
    OT: Solal (FRE)
    ID: 199949
    Lv. 100
    Sinnoh
    Hardy (Relaxed Mint)
    Imposter
    GTS Trade
    31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
    252 HP / 252 Def
    Infectious PKRUS

I traded an Enamorus for it (the Enamorus was definitely cloned)
    Sorry if my brain is a little slow today, but I'm not understanding the first sentence about Swablu. One thing I know that may clear up confusion though is that met dates before Gen 5 are useless. Why so? Because Game Freak decided to rework how Pokemon data works a little, and basically the met date for anything before Gen 5 will match the date of the transfer to Gen 5, not the actual date it was originally met. This is why it's also hard to tell if a Gen 4 event was obtained through the DNS exploit, but it's pretty easy to tell with Gen 5 as they'll have their actual met date, and it'll usually be after the exploit became mainstream (2017-ish). Only people who have the tools (hackers) or foresight (switch DS time) to also fix this date will be able to fool you otherwise. So Unova Swablu met in 2022 is sketchy, but HeartGold-Johto Gyarados met in the same year is fine. Fateful Encounter, to my knowledge, has no impact on the date.

Raid legitimacy is a complex issue sadly. While there are definitely hacked Raids out there, there's also the fact that even I could hunt for a shiny Raid, and then endlessly host it for other people by rewinding my clock every day before it ticks over midnight. I can also endlessly hunt for Raids by moving my clock days and days and days forward until I get the Raid I want (if you see a future date on a Raid mon you get, this is very likely what has happened). There are Discord servers full of people who will host the latter, but unfortunately, just like a DNS exploited event with its date changed, it's impossible to tell if it's hacked unless you receive the event or host the Raid yourself.

Finally, the Ditto! The 6-digit ID makes me think it's BDSP Ditto and not DPPt. From what I can tell, RNGing in the area that Ditto spawns in is super unreliable. It also has PKRUS, so it's 99.99% likely hacked. But no one cares about hacked Dittos so feel free to use it as you like 😜

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Sorry if my brain is a little slow today, but I'm not understanding the first sentence about Swablu. One thing I know that may clear up confusion though is that met dates before Gen 5 are useless. Why so? Because Game Freak decided to rework how Pokemon data works a little, and basically the met date for anything before Gen 5 will match the date of the transfer to Gen 5, not the actual date it was originally met. This is why it's also hard to tell if a Gen 4 event was obtained through the DNS exploit, but it's pretty easy to tell with Gen 5 as they'll have their actual met date, and it'll usually be after the exploit became mainstream (2017-ish). Only people who have the tools (hackers) or foresight (switch DS time) to also fix this date will be able to fool you otherwise. So Unova Swablu met in 2022 is sketchy, but HeartGold-Johto Gyarados met in the same year is fine. Fateful Encounter, to my knowledge, has no impact on the date.

Raid legitimacy is a complex issue sadly. While there are definitely hacked Raids out there, there's also the fact that even I could hunt for a shiny Raid, and then endlessly host it for other people by rewinding my clock every day before it ticks over midnight. I can also endlessly hunt for Raids by moving my clock days and days and days forward until I get the Raid I want (if you see a future date on a Raid mon you get, this is very likely what has happened). There are Discord servers full of people who will host the latter, but unfortunately, just like a DNS exploited event with its date changed, it's impossible to tell if it's hacked unless you receive the event or host the Raid yourself.

Finally, the Ditto! The 6-digit ID makes me think it's BDSP Ditto and not DPPt. From what I can tell, RNGing in the area that Ditto spawns in is super unreliable. It also has PKRUS, so it's 99.99% likely hacked. But no one cares about hacked Dittos so feel free to use it as you like 😜

Ah ok, I was confused as a lot of the Pokémon I was looking at for reference went Gen IV-Gen VIII in about 1 hour haha. So Swablu is definitely hacked :(

Yeah raids are weird. Pretty sure my shiny Milcery x2 and Alcremie caught in-game myself are like that as they have identical IVs and nature, caught over the span of a few days. Ah well.

Yeah definitely BDSP origin mark. Might be quitting my GTS habit the way this is going!

EDIT: It has every Sinnoh ribbon I believe, plus the Master Rank ribbon (24 in total) so somebody was clearly very proud of their hack

Last edited:

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Yeah raids are weird. Pretty sure my shiny Milcery x2 and Alcremie caught in-game myself are like that as they have identical IVs and nature, caught over the span of a few days. Ah well.

Just thought I'd clarify that unless this Raid is hacked, the worst that these Milcery would be considered is cloned (though I wouldn't count them as that, as they're all separate instances that can co-exist on Home if they're ever moved there). It's how I'm getting all those shiny Alcremie forms for my shiny living dex!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Pokémon: Wattrel
    Ball: Level
    Shiny: Yes
    OT: DoushéCanoe
    ID: 856605
    Level: 1
    Region of Origin: Paldea
    Ability: Wind Power
    Location Met & Level Met: Egg hatched 03/13/23 in Los Platos, Egg received via Link Trade on 03/13/23 [ugh, can't Pokémon localise into real English dates aka what the rest of the world uses in their languages?]
    Where/how you recieved it: Reddit giveaway (giving away 40 hatched / caught shinies, appears to do this monthly)
    Effort Values: None

My only concern is the egg trade - I've seen at a glance some things where you use a hacked Switch to generate the Eggs, then trade them to an untouched save on another console to make them considered legit. Not really sure what I can do here. Might use it anyway, at least for the 2nd half of my playthrough (although I have 2 legit shiny Electric-types I can sub instead, a self-caught Voltorb and traded Pawmi hehe)

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2023
    Spiritomb
    Master ball
    Shiny
    OT May
    Hoenn
    Serious
    Pressure
    No ribbons
    Seems to be first met in the hoenn region on 01/19/2041
    First met Sky Pillar
    IV/EV

Nasty plot
    Memento
    Dark pulse
    Pain split

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Spiritomb
    Master ball
    Shiny
    OT May
    Hoenn
    Serious
    Pressure
    No ribbons
    Seems to be first met in the hoenn region on 01/19/2041
    First met Sky Pillar
    IV/EV

Nasty plot
    Memento
    Dark pulse
    Pain split
    Just my two cents - a Pokémon hatched in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will have its original hatch location as the "First Met" location in Pokemon Home. I have migrated said hatchlings.

The issue is your Spiritomb is in a Master Ball, which cannot be inherited via breeding. As I don't see Spiritomb as one of the potential encounters in Sky Pillar, this appears to be an illegal Pokémon.
    https://www.serebii.net/pokearth/hoenn/skypillar.shtml

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2023
    Yeah, that was the conclusion I came to. Just wanted confirmation. I appreciate the help.

Not allowed to quote your post yet.

Back