• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ohhhh Controllers

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Ohhhh Controllers

A topic all about controllers! What sorts of controllers do you remember playing with, and which ones were your favourite to use? Which ones did you not enjoy? As always, feel free to share all thoughts~

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • My favorite controller was the Gamecube controller. It just fit in my hand really well and I was great at button-mashing with it. My least favorite is probably Super Nintentdo. At the time, it seemed so long and was just hard and uncomfortable to hold for me. I'm glad they advanced that and made controllers fit to where your hand basically wrapped around them.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    My favorite is probably the PS2 controller, and no not the PS3 one because sony added the "triggers" and it's just not the same. Those buttons were pressure sensative which was like "ZOMG!!" at the time, for me anyway. The analog's were solid and the D-pad was top notch, 2nd only to Nintendo by a little. As for my least favorite, original Xbox revision (not the giant one, the smaller one). Always hated in Halo how I just could never seem to keep playing the game while pressing the white or black button, I always had to stop and take a specific moment to press either of those buttons. The N64 one actually is worse for me today (namely the analog) but not growing up with one I will excuse it.

Years
  • The N64 controller being bad is kind of a given. I also don't like any of the Xbox family's controllers, though. They're too bulky and hard to hold comfortably for me, and a lot of the buttons are rarely used (like Black and White).

TY

The PS2 controller is my all-time favorite simply of the old times when it took me ages to get the wire unstuck before i could play a game. It may sound frustrating, but then again you had to do it or no games :P

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Ohhhh Controllers

Nothing even comes close.

Playing Super Smash Bros Melee and F-Zero GX on this is pure BLESS.

...OK, the 360 pad and the Wii U gamepad do come close, but nothing else.

Honestly despite growing up with playstation, I was never a fan of the PS controller. The very first one, which was basically SNES with a handle, was great. But the further advancement they made, the worse it is. DS1 was fine, DS2 on the PS2 felt really cheap though, and DS3 on the PS3 downright sucks, it feels too lose and small. This is coming from someone with small hands.
    My favorite controller was the Gamecube controller. It just fit in my hand really well and I was great at button-mashing with it. My least favorite is probably Super Nintentdo. At the time, it seemed so long and was just hard and uncomfortable to hold for me. I'm glad they advanced that and made controllers fit to where your hand basically wrapped around them.
    dude

WHAT

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I love any Playstation (not 4) controller because I'm so familiar with it! :) Next would be the Nintendo 64 I guess, I have small hands and I'm able to shift between the analog and D-pad comfortably enough, plus, it was amazing to abuse it in a good game of Mario Party. Seriously, there is no controller today that would be able to withstand the abuse a Nintendo 64 controller could take.

I hate the Xbox360 controller - it's just uncomfortable to hold and bloody awkward to push the pause button because it's impossible to find. That said, I've heard someone say to me before "The 360 is based off the Gamecube controller - the greatest controller ever". Hmm...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I have only used Dualshock 3 so I can't choose that objectively =D
    But I also like Dualshock 4, it looks very interesting. But I haven't had a chance to try it.

I haven't used it, but XBox controller looks like crap... seriously, whose brilliant idea was to put D-Pad down where the stick should be?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I never liked the N64 controller. Who ever designed that thing probably never tried using it themselves, or was a mutant with 3 hands. The control stick and Z-trigger are poorly placed, so you had to play it with one hand in the middle of the controller, one on the right side, and that just feels so damn awkward.

The funny thing is that Nintendo's next controller, the Gamecube controller, is probably one of the best I've ever used. Just something about it is so right. Sadly, one of my 3 Gamecube controllers is semi-dead; I've used it so much that the C-stick is always freaking out, and the control stick occasionally has a mind of its own. Poor thing...

Most of the other controllers I've used are pretty good too.

Last edited:

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Playstation 1 controllers were light and comfortable, by far my favorite.

Then for first-person shooters the XBOX controller is king.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Then for first-person shooters the XBOX controller is king.
    Nope. Dual analog is terrible for first person shooters all said and done. Not precise.

Wiimote or Mouse are the best for FPS. Depending on preference. I fell in love with pointer controls after playing Metroid on the Wii. (Actually fell in love in the arcades, but that was my first time using pointer controls at home)

T!M

Years
  • I disagree. Personally I feel that I have more control with the XBOX controllers. Point and shoot via Wiimote is more choppy. IMO.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Agree to disagree. I grew up with arcades, so I'm familiar with pointers. Dual analog is just awfully limiting in comparison to both mouse and pointer controls. No freedom or precision.

Knock the Wiimote for its lackluster motion controls, but it got pointer controls down perfect. Playing Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4 Wii, Sin & Punishment or House of the Dead Overkill is pure arcade bliss.

I do have to mention that I don't mind analog for games like Metroid Prime 1/2 (not really dual analog though), Resident Evil 4 PS2/GCN and Halo. Prime and Halo are designed around the analogs and use basic jump and shoot gameplay to compensate for the lack of precision. RE4's slow nature allows dual analog to work good. I can't play CoD or Battlefield on dual analog though, they're terrible.

Last edited:

T!M

Years
  • Oh... OH! I see, you mean cabinet Arcades yeah I feel you. You do have more control in that sense and those were fun, Time Crisis in my local arcade being my favorite. But over the years I've become accustom to the XBOX and PS3 modern shooters. But I do respect and appreciate arcade games like House of the Dead and Aliens and all that stuff.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've tried all kind of controllers, but my most favorite would have to be the one for Xbox 360. It's wireless, easy to hold onto, and the way buttons are laid out make it quite easy to play games. Gamecube controller is my second favorite, and the third is PS3 controller.

Reactions: T!M

blayzin-it

ashes to ashes
    Years
  • I'm a total xbox fanboy.. so 360 controller c:
    But, I didn't 'grow up' playing the SNES, but I played a lot with my dad when I was young, and it is a pretty good controller I will admit.
    The N64 is so crazy that the first time I used it with my dad playing GoldenEye I sucked soo bad.
    All time favourite is the DS controls ;D

Morning Sun Espeon

Time to shine ★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    I wouldn't say any feel awkward. After playing with them awhile, you fall into the grip of them. I like Wired controllers personally. I don't have to worry about the hassle of batteries, or recharging the packs which I've noticed on the 360, blow out exceedingly quick

Years
  • [GameCube Controller]
    Nothing even comes close.

Nope. Dual analog is terrible for first person shooters ... Mouse are the best for FPS.

Get out of my head, you wonderful, wonderful person!

I use a Wired 360 Controller when comfort>precision. Razer Mamba+Blackwidow otherwise.

Although I've been considering rigging one of these up for emulation:
    Ohhhh Controllers

looks like bliss, although the triggers/shoulders apparently leave something to be desired...

Back