• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oldale Town was the worst town

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2020
    Fight me in this. Literally no thought put into this... they straight up took two buildings and added a center and mart and called it a day.
    Seriously, was there any town or city that felt just as pointless as this one?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    yeah it sucks pretty bad. i love how bitter you are about it lol it's funny. sandgem isn't all that much better, but they DID fit the lab in there... oh and that house w the kid that tells you where the swarms are post-game, if you're into that.

cherrygrove also follows the few houses, a mart, and PC formula... but there is an area to the side to surf to that makes it slightly worth coming back to, but iirc the item is something stupid. plus you do actually get the map here. so that makes cherrygrove slightly better than sandgem.

i can't think of any other shitty 1st towns in the other games though, they all have something there...or i don't remember their names lol but i think newer pokemon games actually have stuff in their first towns. so yeah, oldale is definitely the worst. also the name sucks which is just more reason it's bad.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
    Fight me in this. Literally no thought put into this... they straight up took two buildings and added a center and mart and called it a day.
    Seriously, was there any town or city that felt just as pointless as this one?

Pacifidlog.

You can go through the entire story, and just not ever visit there. More useless than Oldale which serves as a walkthrough for Mauvile/Slateport, Petalburg, and Littleroot.
    By the time you can actually reach Pacifidlog you have fly, so you aren't gonna use it as a travel through.
    By the time you reach Pacifidlog, you've been to every other town more than likely. So again, Fly is a better option than going all the way down, and through.

It's a nice idea for a town, it's just so far out of the way, and pretty useless it may as well not exist.

Years
    • Seen today
    The first town you stumble into is usually a basic tutorial town.

Viridian in Kanto was a cool idea, with how the 8th gym is there and it connects into the final area.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    you have to give pacifidlog credit tho like it's a neat concept for a town. they didn't do anything with it but it at least has more charm to it than oldale which is literally nothing.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    i mean it is the first town outside of the players hometown. i don't know what you really expected lol.

Years
    Pacifidlog.

You can go through the entire story, and just not ever visit there. More useless than Oldale which serves as a walkthrough for Mauvile/Slateport, Petalburg, and Littleroot.
    By the time you can actually reach Pacifidlog you have fly, so you aren't gonna use it as a travel through.
    By the time you reach Pacifidlog, you've been to every other town more than likely. So again, Fly is a better option than going all the way down, and through.

It's a nice idea for a town, it's just so far out of the way, and pretty useless it may as well not exist.

Back then I actually thought they made Pacifidlog just so they'd have extra filler episodes for the anime lmao. U right tho I would've completely missed it had I not explored the map.

i mean it is the first town outside of the players hometown. i don't know what you really expected lol.

I guess it's that it looks so dull/uninspired compared to other tutorial towns? (Viridian, Cherrygrove, Sandgem, Accumula, Floaroma, Wedgehurst, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

_pheebee

Years
    you have to give pacifidlog credit tho like it's a neat concept for a town. they didn't do anything with it but it at least has more charm to it than oldale which is literally nothing.

It's a nice idea for a town. But it's useless in story.
    it'd be cooler if there was a gym perhaps.

Years
    What about Ever Grande City? It is not even a real city. it only has the league building and a Pokémon Center

pkmin3033

The only thing that makes these starter towns bad is that they're more like villages than towns...Pokemon's naming conventions aren't particularly on point sometimes. I think there are maybe 2 or 3 villages in the entire series and they're about the same size as some of the towns.

But let's be honest here - if it doesn't have a gym or an evil team hideout, it's a pointless settlement. xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    since we're bringing up ever grande i have to mention that when i was a kid i had one of those moments where i read over something a little too fast and had to go back like wait what did that say bc i read ever grande as ever grenade and to this day i still think of it as ever grenade.

Years
    At least Pacifilog is optional and you do get information about mirage island there. Oldale is garbage and could have just been more route, even though they are my favorite games and they are 100% perfect.

Years
    Evergrande has the League going for it.
    Pacifilog has literally nothing.

I know but they didn't put any effort on that "city". They could have at least given it a couple houses.
    And I think Pacifidlog's purpose is to have a place you can fly to before doing the rapid current on the route near it. If you want to get all the items you'll have to fly to Pacifidlog a couple of times. And it's unlikely that you'll find the sealed chamber on the first try. Pacifidlog being there saves you a lot of surfing time. And I've always liked its design.

Last edited:

_pheebee

Years
    I know but they didn't put any effort on that "city". They could have at least given it a couple houses.
    And I think Pacifidlog's purpose is to have a place you can fly to before doing the rapid current on the route near it. If you want to get all the items you'll have to fly to Pacifidlog a couple of times. And it's unlikely that you'll find the sealed chamber on the first try. Pacifidlog being there saves you a lot of surfing time. And I've always liked its design.

Story-wise, or main game-wise it achieves nothing.
    Regi's is optional.
    Sky Tower is optional.
    Mirage Island is optional.

The League is not.
    Because of ORAS Mauvile City is all in one Building.
    Evergrande City could essential be the same thing.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    they should have at least named it like ever grande plateau or smth bc having it as a city i'm getting out my binoculars like city where gamefreak????

_pheebee

Years
    they should have at least named it like ever grande plateau or smth bc having it as a city i'm getting out my binoculars like city where gamefreak????

Evergrande Island.

Since it is just an island very far out to sea.

Years
    Plateau would be cool and the whole league could be outside in a big area and you could walk up to each battle area in whatever order you wanted. Of course the levels would have to be more even but it could be more like the Sun and Moon elite four.

Years
    Yeah that's what I meant. I never said it was not an important place. I just find it sad that they put so little effort into an important place like the "city"where the league is.

Back