• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Older people: Have you become less into Pokemon?

Caelus

Gone
Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    When I was younger it was the anime, toys, and cards that got me. I didn't play the games until the 3rd gen.

Once I got into the games I pretty much forgot about the anime and the TCG, but I did watch the anime every once in awhile.

Nowadays it's just the games that keep me into the franchise. I haven't read the manga yet, and I'm planning on it in the future, so maybe my interest will expend to that; for now, it's only the games I still really enjoy.

Years
  • When I was younger, I watched the anime, collected the cards and played the games. A fw years ago, I went through an in-an-out phase but now I'm heavily into the anime even more than I've been before. I no longer collect the cards as I have no more interest and besides, no shop I go to sells them even if I wanted to get them. I also like playing ROM hacks, playing around with hacking tools and reading fan fiction. ITV1, the channel I watched the anime on no longer shows episodes and I don't have CITV or ITV4 so I just download all the episodes to watch them.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Oddly, I've found myself getting more into Pokemon than I used to be. I started with competitive battling, but that didn't exactly work. I've found myself starting to watch the anime again, I've been reading the manga for a few months now, and also been trying to get better at the TCG. I've also been loading the hours onto my games.

Years
  • I've been a bit out of fandom since about two years ago, but now I think am getting back into it for whatever reason. I've been playing the games since Hoenn and likely will get HG/SS and would love to read more of the manga. Likewise I'm attempting to watch the anime through the beginning, even more preferably subbed... I often do get the latests subs from Bulbapedia, etc. though and they are quite enjoyable. The main aspect that has always interested me is fan fiction and I'm currently working on a couple of projects.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm into it in a different way then I was all those years ago, back then I was only a little kid, I saw it like all little kids did, but now I can look at everything in a different light.

And now I've got my little 10 year old nephew into it all, He's now got platinum, and a few toys, and now some of the PMD games, I feel like I'm passing it down to the next generation, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :3.

You are so right, I remember going to see that when I was 5/6, I was so exited, I was well into it all back then :D. The Movies of today just don't have the same excitement, or is it only me looking at them too maturely? :3

I've done the same with my 12 year old sister. She does a form of pseudo-competitive battling though at a rookie skill level. My toddler sibblings are into Pokemon but see it in the light most kids see it in.

Years
  • I'd say that I'm into it the same amount, but in a different way. Like some posters already have mentioned, I am far more interested in battling and trading with other players now, rather than be secluded to my own copy. I'm not into the anime that much anymore, but I make up for that by going on to a lot of forums. I get interested in spurts. When GF has their downtime so do I. Still, sometimes I think I'm too obsessed. :/

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • I was five when it first came out, and I fell in love with Red version and the anime. As I got older, I did lose some interest. The show, for instance, lost its appeal as I grew more mature and the show kind of lost its edge and those little life lessons in it. I still love playing the game, but I am mostly focused on fanfiction.

To me, since I feel I'm darker and more mature since I am much older than when pokemon first came out, my fanfiction tends to be a bit darker than what pokemon is supposed to be about, so in a way I walked away from what really is pokemon.

All in all, though, I don't think I've technically lost interest, my interest just changed over the years and that has affected how I view a children's show. :)

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I was really into it when it first came out where I lived, then I lost interest in it around the same time everyone else did. I suppose because everyone was maturing and thought Pokemon was a strictly child-thing. The past year or two though, I've really gotten back into the games and I watch the anime from time to time if I see it on.

Years
  • I have had my interest weaken as the years continued. Fourth generation has become something of a jolt to my senses as I have more hours in DS Pokemon games than I have with my GBA titles. Gen 4 has also got me "interested as in considering" battles. Previously, all I really enjoyed in terms of person-person Pokemon interaction was the trading.

Kimicatdemon

One who randomly returns!
    Years
  • I actually have gotten into it more over the years, just in a diffrent way from as a kid.

-As a kid, I bought pokemon cards with hopes of being in a tournament. Today I buy them to collect the pretty art on them. I want those ho-oh and Lugia cards that come in the HG/SS collection...
    -As a kid, I played pokemon games because of the intense feeling playing them. Today I play a game and rarely, if ever, save over it. It's kind of boring on my Ruby version, but I like being able to flaunt my work. And the kid in me thinks that if I save over them, THE POKEMON DIIEE BAWWW 8(
    -Even to this day, I still like all the merchandise that comes out.

In other words, I went from being the usual fan to being a collector. ahahaha....

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • I still love playing the games, watching the anime and keeping up on the TCG's metagame (since I only collected, actually playing the cards was a foreign concept to me, lol), but I mostly play competitively / with a competitive focus, criticize the anime's fanboy-centric direction it's going in, and I don't play the TCG.

I'm not a fan of it like I used to be, but I'm still a big fan. =D

jmadude

Keybledar43
    Years
  • I'm still into pokemon since I started playing when I was like 13 so, it's still pretty cool to me. But whenever I see a new pokemon game coming I somehow stop playing as much and just hope to get my hands on the game soon.

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
  • hmmm I am not really sure how to explain it. I use to be into pokemon and not think to much about it (still have my games, cards) but as I got older I did more research into the background of it, researched and memorised character, story, genral history, got more involved in the fan community (was a mod at trsrockin for a while). After the voice actor issue I got involved with SOVA and have not watched the anime (accept a few episodes here and there) since. I never got into the third gen games but got back into the games with gen 4.

I have become less active in the pokemon community since SOVA, as I don't find many people intrested in pre-gen three anime anymore. not much else to say really.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Its different than when I was a child, but Im very much into it. I dont like new episodes of the anime (though Ill watch classic epsiodes online if im bored enough), i was never into the TCG too much, and im more into the games and battling than before so. Its just changed.

naczkens

Experienced Pokeplayer
    Years
  • that's a difficult question
    in primary school i was collecting a tons of pokemon stuff
    but, then i didn't have much time to play pokemon because only my friend has a gameboy
    now i'm not interested in anime, etc. i'm only playing it over and over on my VBA.
    in other words i started to play when i realised that Ash have no brain and i'm still playing xD

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
  • And now I've got my little 10 year old nephew into it all, He's now got platinum, and a few toys, and now some of the PMD games, I feel like I'm passing it down to the next generation, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :3.

I got my five year old sister into the original anime and now she has more episodes then I did.

When GF has their downtime so do I. Still, sometimes I think I'm too obsessed. :/

That's not too obsessed. Too obsessed is writing thousands of letters and emails to GF demanding them to continue in full force. That's too obsessed. Your just mildly obsessed. Like me.

I'm still into the games, but not much else. I plan on selling my figures and cards. I'll also play any of the games I have, even the originals.

Emotion.

Mentally Burning Rainbow.
    Years
  • I'VE MANAGED TO PUT MY FINGER ON THAT OLD POKEMON FEELING! *Drum Roll*
    The smell of Plastic and rubber :D. I got that amazing "6 year old" feeling, when my nephew opened my old box of toys, I really can't explain it but it's a certain type of plastic, and a lot of it. I swear today's pokemon toys don't smell like that, maybe they would be unsafe by todays standard, maybe they gave me brain damage as a child.

I got my five year old sister into the original anime and now she has more episodes then I did.

DId you get the warm fuzzy feeling? :3

God I must sound like a right mentalist to all of you :L.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    When I got into it +10 years ago (I'm 21 now), I started playing the games, collecting the cards/figures/manga, and watching the series.

I went through a few year phase where I stopped everything but playing the games, and recently it's come back. Been catching up on the series online, bought a few packs of cards the other day...

Back