• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

older teens and adults, what brings you to Pokémon?

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    i am already 23 in college and i still come back to pokemon every now and then especially when a new generation is released.

Even if I stopped eventually it will stay in my heart and never die out.

Years
    I'm 26 and I still love Pokemon, For me since I'm a Comic Book writer and being a fan of it since 97 I will say it has to do with the sense of adventure and nostalgia.

Watching the episodes in the Late 90's every weekend morning on Kids WB was awesome!!! and Playing Blue Version as well when I got my Game Boy color for getting student of the month in sixth grade.

But I do not know it is just something I could never grow out of with my other likes since I was a child.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
    I think our buddy means 'rabid nostalgia' when he says 'pokephilia' cuz I started when my dad got me a shiny red Color device (not a standard GB, not Advanced, but a Color) w/ Pokemon Red. (Irony.) And my old adventures in Blocky Kanto sort of paved the way for the future Gens. Also grew up w/ Gold, so better believe that's why I respect HG so much.

It's the things we love as kids, hate as teenagers and love again when we're adults.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Online now
    I think our buddy means 'rabid nostalgia' when he says 'pokephilia'
    That's not what Pokephillia is. At all.
    older teens and adults, what brings you to Pokémon?

I still play Pokemon as an adult nearly in my thirties because I still find the games fun. Part of that is nostalgia and part of it is being so involved in the fandom. Pokemon is the only fandom I've been active in every day for ten years now and I'm not tired of it. Reading about and discussing the games and changes to the franchise still make me excited. The games are just fun, and it doesn't matter my age. I still enjoy them and will still keep playing.

Lilikoi Juice

I'm on Youtube!
    Years
    I've always like Pokemon... It's just that it wasn't as accepted as it is now. Lesson to learn here is don't let others judge what you do. Playing Pokemon isn't going to hurt anyone so if you want to play it, play it. ;3

Mudkip.

ミズゴロウ
    Years
    Pokemon is part of my childhood. Not only did I play the games, I watched the anime too C:.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    ...Nostalgia. Memories are the ties that bind me true, the light that guides me through.

Simply that when something leaves an impression, often that impression is deep and never discarded or filled; save for times when necessity demands it.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
    Years
    It's the creative aspect that's always brought me back to the series. When I very first got into it, I'd draw the monsters over and over, even though I wasn't that great, and I couldn't resist making up my own as I went along.

It's just such a great universe to expand on. It's vast and complex and distinctive, but there's so much room for new additions at the same time. It's designed to be so open to new stories, new characters, new worlds.

I love seeing what people invent in their extended fanons. This is why I'm an addict[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    For me its probably Nostalgia, and all the cool looking Pokemon moving around and saying their names/cry in the anime or in the games. Keeps making come back for more.

Anime, the games, the TCG, all of the online fan stuff. Pokemon will never leave me.

I started with Pokemon when I was 11 years old (I believe thats how old I was back in Nov. 1998 when I first laid my eyes on the anime) - now that I'm going to be 28 years old (on Friday the 13th this December) I'm still a huge fan of Pokemon today as I was when it first started.

Years
    Nostalgia all the way.
    I've been practically spoonfed pokemon. Always been playing pokemon ever since I got a gameboy and when I was a kid I watched it from the first episode aired here.

To be honest I'm still in love with most first generation pokemon like Vulpix/Ninetails, Charizard, Pikachu and lots of other cute pokemon.

But then again I think pokemon isn't necessarily aimed at kids, maybe the tv series is but the game is something else all together. For me it's like other rpg games but with some sort of tamagotchi I can play with and i guess people from the older generation know tamagotchis and their powers xD

Years
    The anime started showing here in 2003 and I was 11 then. I really loved the idea of a world full of mysterious creatures and the idea of creating a team of small cute Pokemon and evolving them into powerful ones.
    I knew there was a Pokemon game out there but nobody I knew had a Gameboy back then so I had to wait till 2009 to play the game (that was Pokemon Red)

The games are much better than the anime and I've been hooked since.

Years
    As many of the above nostalgia is a big part of why im here.

I guess i never really grew out of what my parents called "The pokemon phase"
    There is no better feeling than coming home from a long day at work and sit down and play some pokemon, there really isn't (I've tried other things, there really isn't)
    And once you've got so attached to something, its really hard to let it go. So i don't think i ever will. I can picture myself at age 80 still playing whatever pokemon games on whatever console they come up with, probably battling and trading with my grandchildren.

I have a pokemon wallpaper on my computer at work too ^^ It always puts a smile on my face to see pikachu when i'm down at work.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I'm 21, and I'm not sure if my reason is appropriate but...Ever played Pokemon stoned? Best experience ever. I've been playing for about 12-13 years now, and I think the same basic principals of coolness still apply to every Generation of Pokemon. Reason Blastoise was so cool? Big ass turtle monster with cannons. Reason Samurott is cool? Sea otter samurai with shell armor swords. People who stopped playing after Gen 1 ragequit without letting the other Gens have a chance. Pokemon is a great game, and mindset to be in. You can connect with your little virtual dudes, and play a well-made franchise.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    Reason I'm still playing it now, is because Pokemon never really left my life. It's been a franchise which has been with me just about my whole life, and it's just something that I've never grown tired of. I mean, I guess I have certain points where I'm totally obsessed with the franchise, and others where my involvement with the game stems entirely from the fact that I'm a moderator on a forum dedicated to it, but it's just always there. I can't say there was much of a reason to why I originally fell in love with the franchise, other than the fact that my 3 year old self enjoyed the games and the anime and found it to be a fun pass-time, which lead me into the fandom, and had me follow the franchise for years to come. I guess Pokemon was a pretty creative and innovative idea back when the originals saw the light of the world, but I reckon the Pokemon themselves were mainly what brought me into it all, and I reckon that's part of the reason why the franchise grew so big. If it'd been regular animals or bad-ass monsters or something, I honestly doubt it would've affected the size of the fandom, because I find Pokemon to have a certain charm to them, which attracts both younger and older people, explaining why we have so many different people of so many different ages still following the franchise.

All in all, reason I'm still into the franchise is because it's still a great franchise, and because they're still able to bring something new to the table with each new release, keeping it all exciting enough for me to stay. Even if I've been kind of disconnected from the games since the fourth generation due to not owning either a DS or a 3DS, it still manages to keep me interested through just watching playthroughs or simply discussing it here on the forum. I simply like Pokemon because it's a likable concept :p

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2013
    What keeps me going is having someone to play with. Reason why I searched for a community to be in. I got to have that spirit to go on a playing spree once more.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    For the same reason almost everyone has. We played as kids and we just grew up with it. I kinda fell out of BW and B2 W2 just because i didn't like them. X and Y is a like a breath of fresh air for so im gonna stick around for awhile xD

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    Pokemon has been an enduring part of my late teens/early 20's years. It was something that I was naturally attracted to, yet didn't feel so self-conscious in admitting I liked that it stopped me from getting into it. It proved to be one of the few things I could enjoy in a rather depressing high school/ post-high school time where I was down in the dumps and little could pull me out of it.

So in a few words, nostalgia and escapism.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
    Years
    I feel odd in that I wouldn't rate nostalgia high on my reasons for liking Pokémon so much. It's definitely there, but I'm convinced I'd be just as Pokécrazed if I'd somehow only recently encountered it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2020
    For me, it's just that they're good games. They're simple enough that I can pop in and play for a while then put the game down and do whatever I need to do and come back to it later without much trouble, the strategy is complex enough that it's satisfying without being so complex that it starts to feel like work to play, and they're a great combination of genres - part roleplaying game and part turn-based strategy.

That's it, really. They're just good, satisfying, amusing games.
    This.

And the fact that you can play the games and do something else at the same time (time is no element in gameplay, waiting doesn't cause a game-over). Watching tv, having a skype conversation, playing chess, eating, etc. On top of that, because it is on a portable console, you can basically play it anywhere, anytime as well.

CyanideEspeon

Strange Woman
    Years
    For me, it's the Pokémon themselves and also (to a lesser extent) the human characters. I love being able to befriend many different types of creatures (I haven't encountered many games that let you befriend lots of different animals, plants, mythical creatures, and inanimate objects) travel, and fight cool villains.

Back