• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

older teens and adults, what brings you to Pokémon?

Moltres Rider

Banned
    Years
    if Pokémon is targeted for young people/kids. for older teens and adults, what brings you to Pokémon? I am curious to know why older people like Pokémon which is targeted for kids.

my reason is kinda Poképhilia (although mods may not like that answer) what's your reason?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    Well, I got into pokemon in the tenth grade bacause my desk buddy played it every day in Algebra 2 (our teacher was really lenient), and eventually, I bought it on a school band trip because it looked like fun and my desk buddy battled against a few other people in the class as well.

What kept me hooked was all the mechanics that go into it. I'm a huge fan of puzzle and strategy games (Portal and Portal 2!) and all the strategy that goes into the meta-game is outstanding. It's probably the most well thought out competitive game that I've ever played. Now, I'm still into the game mechanics, but I do spend a lot of my time in the fanfiction and writing section because I like seeing how other people take pokemon and make it their own. There's a lot of reasons, but those are the main two.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    @ justinrpg - as long as you don't explain it further, I'm just going to shrug and not think more about it.

For me, it's actually PokéCommunity that keeps me in the fandom. If I take a break from PC, I don't think about pokémon much. Maybe play a game on an emulator now and then but generally, it's because I'm here that I'm caring about pokémon.

Long ago, I used to love pokémon for the sake of pokémon and had no one to talk about it with. Then I discovered forums online and eventually PC and yeah, today that's the reason I guess.

And also roleplaying, to some extent, haha. Pokémon is a great topic for a roleplay.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
    For me, it's actually PokéCommunity that keeps me in the fandom. If I take a break from PC, I don't think about pokémon much. Maybe play a game on an emulator now and then but generally, it's because I'm here that I'm caring about pokémon.

Long ago, I used to love pokémon for the sake of pokémon and had no one to talk about it with. Then I discovered forums online and eventually PC and yeah, today that's the reason I guess.

And also roleplaying, to some extent, haha. Pokémon is a great topic for a roleplay.

Literally everything RHCP said. Plus, I always get excited when a new game comes out, so as soon as I heard of X and Y, I immediately good hooked back on to the franchise.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I've played the games since I was 6 and they're just fun games. I'm making a port for people who can't see and most of them are in their 20 somethings and they, like anyone else, can tell when a game is fun. It's just really good.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Plus, I always get excited when a new game comes out, so as soon as I heard of X and Y, I immediately good hooked back on to the franchise.
    Okay this holds true too. I always get excited, whether I want to or not haha, when a new generation comes out. It would be weird if I wasn't, methinks ;)

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
    Holy heck, pokemon?!
    I've been with this game since Christmas of '98.
    Ahhh 1998, you were so long ago.
    I've stuck with pokemon ever since then, the tcg video games, pokemon pinball.

I'm a pokemaniac, through and through.

And whenever I hear about a new core pokemon game coming out I get so excited!
    XY really has me jazzed, can't wait to get my 3dsxl and the new games!

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    When I started playing the games, it became a huge addiction that I couldn't stop playing them. I don't really know what it is about pokemon that attracts me as an adult, but I do know it's something I enjoy playing in my free time.

Also, I know what you mean about Poképhilia. :P I used to be the same way with Darkrai and Flygon. XD I find them to be very sexy. :x

Actually, scratch that. I've been playing pokemon long before I even know the internet existed. I don't know how old I was at the time, but I do know I have been a pokemon nerd for a reallyyyyyy long time.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    So it actually sounds like it is the same things about pokémon that attracts adults and older teenagers, as it is for kids? Figures :) You don't have to get an "adult" mind just because your age increases. I mean, what is even an "adult" mind.

Years
    It's part of my childhood, as simple as. Plus as I went into high school, peers actually became much more tolerant about Pokemon.

Years
    I literally grew up with Pokemon, being a fan at an early age. The big changes and improvements the franchise undergoes with the games (and anime!) is the reason why my fangirl status lasted into my 20's, and while I'll be 21 next month I don't plan on giving up Pokemon anytime soon because it was my first love. And with X & Y coming out next month, expect my fangirl mode to last even more years to come, maybe even when I hit my 30's lol.

So it actually sounds like it is the same things about pokémon that attracts adults and older teenagers, as it is for kids? Figures :) You don't have to get an "adult" mind just because your age increases. I mean, what is even an "adult" mind.

See, just because you're an adult doesn't mean you have to give everything from your childhood away. Pokemon is a game for anyone, because you can never be too old for Pokemon. And who ever told us there was an adult mind? I'll soon be 21 but I still got traces of a kid left in me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    It's more than the nostalgia and graphics, but definity not Pokephillia... Lol
    I'm addicted to it for an unknown reason. It's like when the singer's not as popular as before, you'd still end up listening to their songs and even buying their CDs.

Last edited:

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    The promise of becoming a Pokemon master!

No, seriously. Whether it's completing the Pokedex or competitive battling, Pokemon offers challenges that anyone would find difficult, regardless of age.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    It's the nostalgia that brings me back to Pokemon, as well as the memories I've had as a child, and how Pokemon changed my life. It's also a great way to meet amazing friends just because of trading and battling. PokeCommunity exists for a reason, because it works the same exact way: bringing fans closer together. :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The memories and the deep and enjoyable (for the most part) games are the reason I keep coming back.

tnfsf11

• Memories & nostalgia that I can't get over
    • Fun of watching cool-looking creatures in cockfights
    • My need for a pet (not really but I guess that counts)
    Nostalgia, plain and simple. I've had to deal with a lot of unfortunate crap in my professional life, especially over the last couple of years, and Pokemon is a staple of my childhood that represents a total form of escape.
    and that.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Well I'm 19 now and I've been playing since I was 5, the fact that I've played it throughout the majority of my lifetime means I'll probably never stop playing it. The games are still as fun previous generations if not better, heck I'm more excited about Pokémon X & Pokémon Y than I have been about any other game for years now.

Back