• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

older teens and adults, what brings you to Pokémon?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I'm starting into Pokemon because I was watching the Pokemon anime with my neighbor and my relatives when I was a kid, and I'm still into it because I like its mechanics, and because it's one of my childhood games.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Well I've been playing since the series first started in North America. Same things that initially drew me to it still hold true. Plus there's an enormous amount of depth to the games that I couldn't fully appreciate when I was young. When I first played I always just made my starter into a tank, and the rest of my team were repositories for HM's. As the years have gone by my play style has gotten more sophisticated.

There's really nothing about the games that are child exclusive, besides the lack of anything adult exclusive (like profanity, references to adult themes, etc.) But I don't see anything that would exclude adults from liking the games. When you get right down to it, it's just an RPG with over 700 distinct playable characters (actually an infinite amount if you consider that each Pokemon even within its own species is unique). For me, as a hardcore RPG gamer, it's the best thing ever conceived.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I'm not really sure. I guess I just love that the games are easier to play than most I've played. It doesn't require a lot of thinking or brain power to figure out what to do next. I love that you don't have to worry about certain obstacles in each game, and if you do... they are easy to overcome. I get defeated easily if games require excessive amounts of challenge or brain power to figure things out.

As for the anime, it'd have to be the pokemon. I love how they interact, and I have always adored Pikachu. That was my very first pokemon I ever got into. If it wasn't for Pikachu, I never would have become so addicted to the fandom. I would still be hating pokemon with a passion.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Eh.. I might be in my twenties now, but I was 10 when I got into Pokemon.

I mean, I dunno what the "normal" age of a Pokemon fan is supposed to be, but I've just never dropped it. Probably never will. The only thing that's changed is that now days I'm into the games more than the anime. It used to be the other way around, and then it was even for some years.

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
    Years
    I don't like mentioning my job on the internet, I always get asked a lot of questions, but I get to meet a lot of children who are in the age demographic pokemon is supposedly aimed at. It's fun because they always find it surprising to see an adult just as interested as they are, if I have the time I get to battle a few of them.

For me, I got into Pokemon when I was younger. It's always been there and while there have been games I disliked, such as their attempt to "reboot" the series with Black and White, I could never bring myself to dislike the series. It has a certain cutesy innocence to it that's backed by messed up pokedex entries, creepy glitchies and genuinely intriguing gameplay mechanics in the competitive field. A part of me also enjoys the anime, but that's mostly because I watch it raw and it's always fun to see which words I don't recognize. I'm definitely not a younger member that's for sure!

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
    Years
    Main reason is my laptop was stolen so I have literally NOTHING else to play except for Pokemon on my iPod. I still enjoy Pokemon very much though, so just the idea of the game. There aren't any like it, I guess because it's unique and my favorite childhood game.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
    Years
    I'm not sure, it was just never a question to me. When I was little I watched the Pokemon anime, and then I wanted Pikachu merchandise. And so, when I heard there was a videogame, I wanted that too. I played my friends' games, and then got my own and played those. It was just a thing I kept doing..

When my friends stopped playing, around the Diamond and Pearl era, I guess I just didn't even think about stopping. I was like, yeah, okay, you guys can go ahead and stop, but I won't. The difference is none of us watch the anime, because we feel the quality has gone down, but with the games the quality is going up. Sure, it was a pain to buy the new system, but... It's something I grew up with, so even if it's "childish", it's still something I love to do.

Years
    I loved Pokemon since a young age, I liked the show on TV and got my first game when I was 8 along with my first gameboy. I just never stopped liking the games, I kind of dropped out of the show (although so far I am liking X/Y series). I just think they are fun, it's really one of the only games I do play.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Probably mentioned hundreds of times in this thread, but nostalgia is definitely a huge factor. Pokemon was literally the first game I ever played - I had Pokemon Red when I was six or so, and sure, I was terrible at it since I couldn't read very well, but it just made me love the series. And I still remember watching that first season anime every day. :P

After that, it just seemed natural to buy every new Pokemon game that came out, and I never got tired of it.

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
    Years
    Ever since i was really young, I loved Pokémon. i don't remember a time when i didn't, and i don't see a time when i won't. Pokémon is more than just colourful sprites to train, Pokémon is something far better, (which is what sets it apart from many other games). Pokémon are creatures that you capture in order to train, evolve and grow, but they are also creatures to love, associate with a respect, is there an age when you can no longer love or respect?... No

Pokémon is more than just a gaming franchise, for some it is something that life would be emptier without, not only does Pokémon bring People and creatures together as a force, Pokémon builds bridges between humans all over the world to Battle, Trade and just enjoy, who without Pokémon, would have perhaps otherwise never have met.

So yes, i think that this is what still keeps me drawn to the Pokémon series i've loved for many years, and i'm sure many people would agree it is one of, if not the best gaming franchise that unites us in a game we can all associate and familiarise ourselves with regardless of where we live or who we are :)

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
    Years
    I'm still a kid legaly, but i'm way pass the general age for Pokemon games.
    I love Pokemon, like everyone on here, and I think that its one of those small things that strikes a gem in your childhood. Its something that we can all enjoy, no matter where we are, what situation, and especially how old you are.
    Its rated E for everyone for a reason, you know.

~Karinmo

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Nostalgia. Only, I love the show as much, if not more than when I first started watching it and playing the games at the age of three. The great anime that the show offers and the even better games is what keeps me interested. Also, if I get bored I can just competitively battle online because that is a hug thing now with sites like PokemonShowdown and Pokemon Online.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    My interest in the games has never faltered ever since I got pokemon yellow and a gameboy for my birthday. I love the creativity involved in new pokemon designs and new regions to explore, I love the tone of the games...the sense of adventure. I also love the collecting and trading aspect.

I get kinda attached to the pokemon too, particularly my team members. I guess it's like the tamagotchis but way better.

I don't really watch the anime any more though, occasionally I'll check a recent episode out of curiosity but I don't follow it.

Back