• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Online storage.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Increasing in popularity is online storage. Basically putting your stuff in a private place on the internet that only you (or those who have your account information) can access. Popular services include Dropbox, Google Drive, Mediafire, and Microsoft SkyDrive. Do you use online storage for your files?

Years
  • I use cloud storage sparingly. Most of the time when I upload files to cloud storage, they're nothing too important to me and I typically use cloud storage for sharing files. I do however use Dropbox and Google Drive for storing backups of my photos from my tablet.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have account at Dropbox, but haven't really used it ever since I got my new laptop. Don't have much things saved there anyway other than a few photos and videos, so it doesn't matter. Nowadays, the only cloud storage service I use is Google Drive. Most of the time, though, it's only for storing text documents.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I prefer to keep everything on my external HDD. That way I know where it is and there's no danger of it getting lost in cyberspace somewhere, or someone else being able to access it without my knowing. I've never seen a need to use Dropbox or anything like it.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I don't use them, since I've a relatively slow internet service compared to many others and I am too lazy to upload them to the internet. I prefer to store my data in an external HDD or just the internal HDD.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I tend to use online storage for things that I'd like to have access to even if I don't have a local copy right now. I don't count copies on online storage services as backups, though - I have external hard disk drives for that.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I use iCloud to back up my iPod Touch and SkyDrive to back up all of my pictures, important documents, and saved game files. They only give you 7GB for free and I filled it! They are on my hard drive as well and if I ever get a new PC I can transfer everything over, but it puts my mind at ease knowing that they are stored in an additional place.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I use Dropbox, SkyDrive, Box, and Google Drive. :x I might be a bit of a cloud storage addict. I'm trying to avoid Copy but I might fall to it soon.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I use G-Drive (Google Drive is too long to write xD), Sky Drive and Dropbox but I'm putting only few things there.
    My most used is probably G-Drive due to its shareability when I need to do some project work in a team.

Years
  • I only used Dropbox for class-related assignments when it was required since otherwise I prefer my external hard drive. Nothing can really beat having it on a plug-in device for me. But these online storages are very useful and they've saved my butt a few times when I forgot my hard-drive and ended up having a recent version up on Dropbox. n~n;

Years
  • I have a Dropbox and Box account, but I hardly ever use them. I use my USB flash drive for more important items like my music library XD Documents like my schoolwork and other stuff go into storage.

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • I use Dropbox, I think it's fairly easy to use than other online storage devices. Although for my games I use my external hardrive to save them just in case my laptop bugs up.

Years
  • I've got about 4 different USB drives, so if I have any important files, I'll make sure to keep it on 2 or more of them, rather than upload them to an online storage service. The only exception to this is with images, where I've got hundreds of them spread across sites like Imgur and Photobucket.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I store most of my files that I don't want to clog up my laptop on an external hardrive; for me I just find it safer in that I know where everything is and there's no chance of my personal/misc documents being tampered with without me knowing. It's more for piece of mind, really.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I use dropbox, both for file backup (mostly uni stuff or writing), and file sharing (like images for my LP or the webzine). I find it pretty useful for the latter.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Internet connection isn't reliable or secure for cloud storage to really become feasible for me to use. I just stick to storing things locally (because, you know, what else would I do with a 2TB hard drive that I can use without being tethered to a internet connection) Also, mobile phones and cloud storage don't mix well with egregious data limits; I would blast through all my allowance just listening to a couple albums using HSDPA, so what's the point?

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I really like Dropbox. You can put anything into the dropbox folder, and after a few seconds, it appears online. Really really useful. I have used others, but I prefer Dropbox.

Years
  • I don't use cloud storage. It's just not my thing. I prefer to use other means of storage (external hard-drive) since you don't need Internet to access your files. There is always that risk of having the hard-drive break though so that's where cloud storage beats anything else. I'm still never going to use it though.

Back