• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated Pokemon.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
  • What are Pokemon you count as overrated? Undeserving fame or infamy of a Pokemon for reasons that could count as overrating. Maybe you hear of them every single time? How about fanboys or fangirls forcing the love of their favourites down your throat. These are some silly scenarios, but eh.

What Pokemon do you think are overrated, and why? I think Charizard's overrated as it was one of the original starters in the first generation, and genwunners have the 'Charizard Master Race' mentality.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Typhlosion - This thing strikes me as a Charizard wannabe. They both have the same stats, similar movepools, and they're the most popular starter of their generation. In Gen IV, Typhlosion managed to set itself slightly apart from Charizard with Extrasensory and Eruption, and by being less weak to Stealth Rock. However, Feraligatr's awesomeness shot through the roof in the same generation due to the physical/special split. In my opinion, Feraligatr deserves more love than Typhlosion does.

Umbreon - This is, in my opinion, the most overrated Eeveelution ever. It's not so cute IMO, and it's annoying to fight against because of its bulk and because of moves like Confuse Ray and Moonlight. Even so, it has so little power, it makes Raichu look like Rayquaza. And yet it's one of the most, if not THE most popular Eeveelution. Umbreon is way more famous than it deserves to be.

Glaceon - Why is this one of the most popular Eeveelutions? Sure, it may be actually strong unlike Umbreon, but its low Speed and shallow movepool really hinder it. And 65/110/95 defenses would've been much better if it resisted more than just Ice.

Stunfisk - I really hate this thing. It's ugly, annoying, and people are overglorifying it because it's derpy. If you're going to glorify Stunfisk because of its derpiness, then why wouldn't you glorify the likes of Wailord, Camerupt, Tangrowth, and Weezing as well? They're also derpy, and they don't look as bad as Stunfisk.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • Anything and everything Eevee related. While I have few issues with the Pokémon themselves, I can't help but feel like they get far more attention than they actually deserve. I'm entirely sure the only reason why it's so popular is because of its vast number of evolutions, each of which are just as horrifically overrated.

...Except for Leafeon. Leafeon seems to be the only exception to this.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    As much as I adore the eeveelutions, I'll have to agree with Grif a bit. Eevee is seen too much, it's not even fun to have in the games unless you can evolve it quickly.

However, I think Sylveon is worse. Everyone seems to love it ever since it was revealed. I seem to be the only one who don't care much for its design and would have wished for a flying or dragon or even ground type eeveelution instead :p

Years
  • Anything and everything Eevee related. While I have few issues with the Pokémon themselves, I can't help but feel like they get far more attention than they actually deserve. I'm entirely sure the only reason why it's so popular is because of its vast number of evolutions, each of which are just as horrifically overrated.

...Except for Leafeon. Leafeon seems to be the only exception to this.

and Flareon.

From the ones not mentioned here, I think Snivy line and Oshawott are overrated.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I'll never understand why Pikachu gets so much more exposure than Raichu, despite Raichu being superior in every way and is, contrary to most evolved forms, no less cute than its unevolved forms. It literally baffles the mind.

Charizard in general, especially after GenIV where what competitive viability it might have had was pretty much torn to shreds thanks to stealth rocks. :/

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • Charizard in general, especially after GenIV where what competitive viability it might have had was pretty much torn to shreds thanks to stealth rocks. :/

Seeing as how the big guy's my favorite Poke, I feel like I have to address this.

Charizard ain't perfect, any real fan of his would know that. Only ignorant fools would overrate him. At the same time, ignorant fools also underestimate him or write him off as crap. Despite his crippling weaknesses during the 4th and 5th Gens, he's still a good Pokemon and didn't deserve the vitriol that he got from the newer fans and the competitive community during this time.

I feel those days are behind him now. Gen 6 introduced his 2 variant Mega Evolutions which makes him one of the best Pokemon in the game to use and is fully deserving of the praise that he gets now.

On to the topic at hand.

Blaziken- He's monstrously powerful, I acknowledge that, but I feel that he takes way too much praise and attention away from the other 2 Hoenn Starters who, quite frankly can hold their own and are equally as useful (in game at least).

And for anyone who wants to point out that the same argument can be made against Charizard, think about this. Charizard badly needed the help so that's why he got 2 Mega Evos and Venusaur and Blastoise got great Mega Evo's as well, however, Blaziken was already Uber powerful; he didn't need a Mega Evolution and he was the only Starter outside of the Kanto Starters to get one.

Also a note to the OP: If that's your intention, please refrain from using that derogatory term (genwunner, ugh) as a blanket term for all of us who like Charizard and favor Kanto/ Johto more than the newer regions. It doesn't make us any lesser fans of the franchise and it certainly doesn't make us like the ignorant people you refer to.

If that wasn't your intention however, please ignore that last comment.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Oh boy, where to start?

Pikachu - Obvious reason is obvious

Eevee and all of it's evolutions (Umbreon and Espeon most especially) - This is a Pokemon I am anymore getting sick of seeing, it's in almost every fan-fic and fan-comic (if it's PMD, it's almost ALWAYS the main character), you go on DeviantART and almost every other Pokemon pic is an Eeveelution one. To me, the only reason people like Eevee is because it's a cutesy fluffy Pokemon, and cutesy fluffy Pokemon are always the most appealing to people. It's also the most unoriginal choice for fan characters, there are over 700 Pokemon at this point, and they keep always going to these ones, get original people...

Every Fire starter (except Tepig) - The Fire type starter (with the exception of Tepig because of the Fire/Fighting controversy) is ALWAYS the most popular of each generations starters, and not just a specific form, but the whole evolution line. The most popular is Charizard due to being one of the most recognizable Pokemon, followed by Blaziken for it's stats and moveset, and it seems like Fennekin is heading in the same direction, double points for it being a fox Pokemon.

Ampharos - Everyone seems to like this Pokemon for some reason, and I just don't get why, I never really found it that appealing.

Luxray - This Pokemon is so common in fanart and peoples teams it's unreal at this point.

Lucario - Do I REALLY need to explain this one? It got it's own movie, it was in Brawl, and now it has a Mega Evolution

Zoroark - Same reason as Lucario, minus the Mega Evolution part

All Dragon types except Druddigon - Enough said, ESPECIALLY Garchomp, which is now worse since they gave it a Mega Evolution now...

Tyranitar and Metagross - Same reason as the Dragon types, and I just find Metagross ugly in my opinion.

Any Pokemon that has somehow spawned an internet meme - I'm looking at you Slowpoke, Magikarp, Mudkip, Bidoof, and Stunfisk

Years
  • Sure we can all admit that Pikachu is overrated to some extent, but we all still love it. :P

I think MewTwo has always been overrated.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2023
    I feel as though most fifth gen pokemon have a disproportionately large amount of adulation tossed at them, aside from some exceptions (crygonal, klink, trubbish, etc.).

It's a very hit or miss generation, but it seems like everyone either loves all of the pokemon to death or hate them. The hype for this generation of pokemon is a little much in my opinion, even if it was a very good bunch of pokemon that was introduced.

Years
  • I'll never understand why Pikachu gets so much more exposure than Raichu, despite Raichu being superior in every way and is, contrary to most evolved forms, no less cute than its unevolved forms. It literally baffles the mind.

Raichu cant learn shet once it's evolved.

Everyone are saying Umbreon but I haven't noticed it, I guess it's cos it's one of my favorites.

Lucario- obviously

Charizard- same as above

Dragonite- I never really liked his design, I mean how does a cool blue snake evolve into a yellow dragon with barely any wings. plus yeah, seems like everyone adores him. It's ok but meh, Dragonair :D

Gengar- same as above, I always preferred Haunter

Years
  • I always thought Pikachu was overrated too, never really liked Pikachu that much... As well as Lucario. I mean Lucario is good, but still overrated. I'm a tad sick of seeing Mudkip and Stunfisk everywhere too.

Years
  • Pikachu, I think, deserves to be overrated as it's the face of the franchise. People who haven't even played the games or watched the show like Pikachu, so it's understandable. Is say my top picks barring that are Eevee and the Dratini line.

Years
  • A lot of Pokemon I've seen so far I have to agree with, especially Pikachu and the Eeveelutions. I understand why they're popular, but in almost all instances there's a better choice of Pokemon than them, at least as far as battling is concerned.

I also think that all of the Pikachu clones are overrated, too (Pichu, Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne). Sure they're cute, but aside from maybe Pichu, the others aren't even necessary.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Definitely the eeveelutions as has already been mentioned.
    I dont get why eevee gets one or more new evos every gen, and other pokemon are left with nothing.
    I do love Jolteon, but i dont like the eeveelution "cult" as a whole.

Years
  • Most dragon types. Every Gen so far they've been overly hyped, especially Salamence and Garchomp. Charizard has been that way since it debuted, but it's a bit worse now with XY mega evolutions

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • As much as I would hate mentioning these two, they are very overrated and maybe that's also part of my fault because I contributed to that as well.

Those two are Lucario and Zoroark.

Ever since they came out, the internet just got bombarded in every way with these two, they've gone from iconic figures to very controversial overrated pokemon.

Back