• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: OWM: OverWorld Manager

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 2, 2019
First, demanding stuff like this works demotivating. Someone makes this for free and you can use it to your liking. If you don't like it, don't use it. Or even better, make something yourself before you start harrassing someone.

Second, the program works fine for me. I have no idea how you can call this 'a pile of burning garbage', since it makes implementing new overworld sprites much less time consuming than alternatives!

Concerning your story, you probably just have to set this program as a 'safe' program in your virusscan/firewall/anti-malware program.

I called the program a burning pile of garbage due to the fact that it used to work without problems and it did not cause my anger and did not give out viruses and errors and did not fall. Now something began to happen to her not adequate. And it is strange. So I and many agree that this program has an internal term. Most likely this is even a demo program that we do not even know.

Years
  • Seen today
I called the program a burning pile of garbage due to the fact that it used to work without problems and it did not cause my anger and did not give out viruses and errors and did not fall. Now something began to happen to her not adequate. And it is strange. So I and many agree that this program has an internal term. Most likely this is even a demo program that we do not even know.

So it used to work great before, but because your Firewall/Antivirus detects the program as a virus it's suddenly a pile of garbage? As I said earlier that's likely not because of OWM, but because of your Firewall/Antivirus.

Being a little angry because something doesn't work directly doesn't give you a license to be rude to someone who made such a great tool (in my view) in his spare time. Plus the creator will never help you if you keep that tone;)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 2, 2019
So it used to work great before, but because your Firewall/Antivirus detects the program as a virus it's suddenly a pile of garbage? As I said earlier that's likely not because of OWM, but because of your Firewall/Antivirus.

Being a little angry because something doesn't work directly doesn't give you a license to be rude to someone who made such a great tool (in my view) in his spare time. Plus the creator will never help you if you keep that tone;)

The funny thing is. What I used to have an antivirus and nothing like that. I calmly did everything and was happy. But now, after 3 months, I returned to this program, and this began to happen. And yes, I use BPRJ And I am Japanese

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
The funny thing is. What I used to have an antivirus and nothing like that. I calmly did everything and was happy. But now, after 3 months, I returned to this program, and this began to happen. And yes, I use BPRJ And I am Japanese

Normally what I would do, is right click the downloaded .zip, .7z or .rar, click Properties, click on the checkbox next to "Unblock from unofficial sources", then click OK button.

After you've done that, then you can unpack the contents from the .zip, .7z or .rar file.

All programs can run incorrectly if they haven't been unblocked in the properties menu.

Makes sense, hopefully? ;) I appologise if I haven't explained it very well. ^^;

Last edited:

Vytron

Just an ordinary Romhacker
Years
Great program but I encountered an issue. I was using the tool to insert overworld sprites and when I was done and closed OWM, and later tried to modify some other OWs but when I opened my rom it crashed the program. Any idea what could have caused the problem?

Years
Ok so, I actually managed to sort out a large amount of issues with downloading Python on my ancient CPU just to run this specific program.
Now when I run the program and attempt to open my rom it simply never loads and the program stops responding.
I've tried multiple different roms and they don't want to open on this program.
Anyone have any ideas as to why this is?
This is really quite frustrating considering how much computer tech crap I've already had to deal with simply to get this program to run on my CPU in the first place.
I've heard mention of some hacked engine thing that I am not using, but I don't see that being the reason I can't even open a file using OWM.

Any help would be extremely appreciated as OWM is pretty much the only program left I need to learn before actually starting the alpha build of my rom hack.

EDIT-
Ok so nevermind, the program just takes an incredibly long time to respond on my ancient CPU.
Looking forward to trying this sucker out! I've been waiting over a year.

Last edited:

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
Hey everyone,

I've uploaded a new version of OWM on the github page.
I'm still planning on maintaining and developing OWM. But, since troubleshooting problems on this post is not very intuitive I would highly suggest anyone who has been having problems with OWM to open issues on the tool's github page. This way it will be easier to both track the state of current issues and bugs, as well as to be able to tackle each one individually without scrolling between pages to find previous answers.

Also, from now on I will not be uploading any binaries. If you would like to run the latest versions of OWM you will need to install python and run the source code. I have described some basic steps on the github's README, but if you think that they need to be enriched feel free to open an issue ;)

SetSenet

Set
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 8, 2020
Hey,
I'm using Leon and Ultima's patch on JPAN's hack. When I use Overworld Manager on Leon and Ultima (this is only a problem with that patch), the (male) player sprite frames don't show up. So there's no way to change the player overworld sprite. The sprite frames still exist somewhere as they show up in-game, but Overworld Manager can't pick them up. (Changing the female sprites crashes the rom)

Has anyone had this problem and how did you find the frames?
Or is there a way to reassign the player sprites to a new inserted overworld entry?

I realise this might just be a problem with Leon and Ultima, but it'd be a shame to waste the thing.

Thanks,
Set

PS. Kimonas this is a great tool

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 26, 2020
hey, i'm new and i'm struggling with the installation of Overworld manager. I downloaded python installed pillow and pyQt5 but after the installation i don't get how to run OW.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
hey, i'm new and i'm struggling with the installation of Overworld manager. I downloaded python installed pillow and pyQt5 but after the installation i don't get how to run OW.

If you got all of them installed double clicking on the OWM-Qt.py should open the program.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 26, 2020
OWM-Qt-2.0.0.zip (evaluation copy) 09.03.2020 11_21_51.pngi don't find this file. There is only OWM.py and when i click on it nothing happens...

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Sep 2, 2020
quick question. I've made some Overworld sprites but when I see them in advance map they look pink. why does that happen?

Years
  • Seen today
@Joss de Kloss
Because AdvanceMap uses the old palette table of vanilla Fire Red. It's not able to show the sprites with a different palette correctly. If you've implemented dynamic palettes succesfully, the sprite should show up correctly in-game though. It's just a flaw of Advancemap since it's such an old tool.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 7, 2023
I know that this is incredibly old but I was using this tool to add sprites in and when its in advance map it works just fine but when I go in game the sprite changes to the child sprite I tried use sprite number 152 and 153 to make a difference but I just have zero idea why its happening

Years
  • Seen today
@bootheidiot

To add extra overworld sprites you should expand the overworld sprite table first. It's part of JPAN's hacked engine (and since the CFRU takes a lot of JPAN's engine, it's probably in that too).

Also, this tool is not so old. It was updated last year.

Back