• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Patching & Emulation

Years
Hi All

has anyone managed to get a good NDS emulator yet for Iphone? really itching to play black/white but I only have GBA4IOS at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Your post has been moved to the Patching & Emulation Help Thread here in the ROM Hacking Hub, which is where all future emulation problems or questions you have should go. As for your question, I'm not aware of any myself, I'm afraid.

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2018
Question about Save States and pre-determined moves/results

I'm currently playing a Pokemon Heartgold ROM and have run into something interesting that I've noticed for a while now. I've noticed that it seems the results of a certain move for a turn are determined before you ever even select that move. For example, if I were to use a move with a high hit-rate such as Ice Fang (95%) and it missed, then reload a save state from right before I used the move, it would miss again, and again, and again. I've tested this with a Raticate's Hyper Fang against a Girafarig in the route right above Mahogany town (before the Lake of Rage). Hyper Fang missed, and I continually loaded the Save State at least ten times, with it missing every time. Considering Hyper Fang has a 90% hit rate, it should never miss what would be ten times in a row.

The reason I find this so weird is that in previous generation games (at least Gen II and III since I haven't played Gen I on an emulator) the results would not be the same if I loaded a Save Point just before using a move. So I could use Hyper Fang and it may miss, but then I would load the Save State and it might hit that time, as it isn't determined until after the move is selected.

It also appears the result of the move is determined before the turn even begins, as I have tried also opening my bag, clicking on my pokemon inventory, and other things (that doesn't result in me losing a turn) after reloading the save and the results were always the same: Hyper Fang always missed.

I've also noticed this expands beyond just moves. For example, I would throw a pokeball and every time I loaded the Save State, the Pokemon would break out at the exact same time (one tick, two, none, whatever).

Now I'm not one to normally abuse this system that used to work in previous gens, but when I am trying to catch a pokemon I'll often use the Save States that way I don't have to carry and throw 80 Ultra balls on me, but rather just a few that I can use and then reuse if they fail the first time (some might call that abusing the system, but whatever).

It could always be the emulator though that resulted in this change (I'm using Desmume and obviously used VBA for gen III and before instead of Desmume) but I'm not certain. Either way, has anyone else experienced this? Also, does anyone know the exact moment the result of a move/item is determined? I haven't tested multiple turns to see if they result in the same thing (like a move missing the first turn, then a move landing a critical hit, then a move doing regular damage, then throwing a pokeball and it ticks just twice, then reloading to just before the first turn that resulted in a miss and seeing if the results of all the moves remain the same) so for all I know the results could be determined at the beginning of the fight, or for all I know every result in the game could've been determined way back when I first selected my pokemon. Although most likely the various results are determined before every individual turn begins.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 17, 2022
I have a question to ask about saving my game. I looked it up on Google but I could not find the correct answer to fix my problem.

I am trying to save my game, using File>Save game>1, and I get an error "Error creating file C:\(Insert domain here)." When it gives this error, it says I am trying to save it as a .sgm file. When I close my game without saving, it gives the same error but says I am trying to save it as a .sav file. I am using an old .sav battery file that I transferred over from my iPhone, when I used to play Pokemon Glazed on GBA4iOS when it worked. This is the game I am using for this, but it will not work with any other of my games as well. To load the file, I have to go to File>Import>Battery file. Saving states worked, but it will not let me save it as a battery file, and I do not know why. I had just patched the file with NUPS to Beta 6F, and I renamed the Pokemon Emerald file that I used to patch the rom to Pokemon Glazed. Does anyone know something that would help me solve my problem? Thank you very much!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
UPS and IPS Files

Can anyone help me do this? I really wanna play Mega Power but I do not know how to do this. I have Lunar IPS and tsukuyomi for UPS but i do not know to do it. i have looked on youtube and everything and it doesnt work for me. Please get back ASAP.. Thanks

NiXz_25

TheYasuoGodPH
Years
Uhmmmm.. My Problem Is I Cant Patch Pokemon Mega Power... I Patch The UPS file in NUPS with U version Of Emerald It Said.. "The patch doesn't match the file" so I download Emerald UE version But It Goes Like The U version Again.. What is My Prob. NUPS OR ROM File Do I need to have another PATCHER or What Kind Of Version Of Emerald.
THANKS for those Who ANSWER!!!

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I'm having an annoying bug on a flashcart where the game crashes during weather. I encountered a Drizzle Squirtle, and after the animation when it says "The rain goes on" (or something to that effect), it crashes. Same thing happens with Drought as well. I tested and it works just like it should on an emulator, so something must have happened when I sent it to the flashcart. I can't get it to function properly without applying the save patch before sending it, so I don't know if that's affecting it for not.

I am using EZ Flash IV Micro SD with the v1.760 kernal.

I haven't tested this with the moves that cause the weather effects, although I imagine it wouldn't be too different, nor have I been able to test it with Hail and Sandstorm yet because I haven't gotten far enough into the game to get those moves yet.. All the weather effects work on the emulator before I send it to the flashcart.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Is there a good android emulator.I'm using my boy, but i cant save in-game in rom hacks even if i try to change the save type it doesnt work and RTC doesnt work

ashketchem2512

PokePurest
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 23, 2016
Ok i'm currently having 2 issues with my fire red mod . #1 i wrote a script for running shoes and it worked but now the running shoes only work indoors. #2 I'm trying to replace a map in Advance map and i keep getting a msg "invalid pointer to map footer" and what is frage???
any help would be appreciated.

ashketchem2512

PokePurest
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 23, 2016
Hey everybody! I want to start creating a rom hack. But the thing is, I have absolutely no experience at all with creating rom hacks or even games from scratch for that matter. Where should I start? Some advice would be greatly appreciated! :)[/QUOTE

what i would suggest 1st is watch foulump's youtube scripting tutorials

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 18, 2015
Well, I just have been playing Pokemon Dark Rising (Yes, the first one.) and I reached a certain point. This point is where I have to battle Pete in order to move onto the next city. After I beat him, there isn't anything I can do. The gates aren't open or anything and I have watched people on youtube go through a opening in the fence or something but for my rom, that opening just isn't there. I tried looking online for a solution or if there is something I have to do but couldn't find anything. It would be sweet if someone helped me with my problem.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 11, 2021
hi all i just recently found this site, and im glad I did, I was looking to play a rom ahck on my nintendo ds lite, I have acekard 2i can i play a GBA hack rom of pokemon on it?

I wanted to play Pokemon Glazed to start with..is it possible and what i need?

So I downloaded the app, then i patched a hack rom (pokemon glazed) when i open the aplication and select the game it says my boy is running but nothing happens.. :( please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
How to open an UPS file on VisualBoyAdvance?

Sorry for the stupid question, i'm new to rom hacks and i don't know how to open the UPS file on VBA

Years
  • Seen Jun 3, 2016
need help patching pokemon mega power as it will not patch could someone help me it would be much apprciated

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I was looking around trying to fiind a modded rom with

all pokemon
16+ gyms
and could be randomized

and i was suggested resolute and glazed so i decided to try resolute.... problem tho.. i guess you cant use wild encounter randomizer?

Spoiler:

i also cant use field item randomizer but i could care less about tht D:

my assumption is im just sol with this on resolute

but if anyone can fill me in id appreciate it. ty

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 12, 2015
Hello, I am fairly new to this . I downloaded a Visual Boy Advance, a Fire Red ROM & a ROM Hack Pokemon Ash Gray but I have no idea what to do after that . Any & all help is greatly appreciated . Pls respond asap , I would love to play this game.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 11, 2015
Save file issues in VBA

I'm trying to get started with hacking Fire Red, but the emulator is refusing to save the game properly. I've googled around, and learned to set the save type to Automatic and Flash 128K. Despite this, it still refuses to save properly. I'm not trying to restore a save state or anything, I just want to get a new save started. I'm not sure what to do at this point; are there any other settings I should fix in VBA, or should I switch to a new emulator?

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2023
i tried patch VF,Resolute and mega power with ups patcher with every clean emerald rom that i can download but still it say it wont match pls help me :( i want to play mega power

ジュナイパー

シャドーアローズ? ??トライク!
Years
How to get an Emulator & ROMs on an iPod 5?

I was wondering, how do you get emulators and ROMs for free (or at a small cost) on an iPod? All the YouTube videos I find talk about this thing called "jailbreaking". Also what are hacks and how do you use them?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
Do you guys know why i get ????? for zero dollars from pokemart. I played a couple of mods and some of them have this. Did i do sth wrong when i patch files? I downloaded different roms and nothing changed. Its like i have to nuzlocke every game and this is getting annoying.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
what is bios

i just downloaded drastic ds in android.it said i have to download bios files

so what are bios files?where do i get them?were should i store them(which folder)

Back