• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Reviewing Challenge

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • PC Reviewing Challenge
    (Or: An Exercise In Masochism)

I totally just made that pretty title just so I could create a subtitle using the word "masochism."

Seriously, because I'm certainly not already driving myself insane with the amount of work I should be doing, I've decided that it might be fun and somehow beneficial for the forum to add one more consistent reviewer to the mix. Namely, yours truly. However, because I know I'd suck at a NaReWriMo (which is basically taking reviewing and driving oneself insane with it), I've decided to try something else instead.

Here's what I mean. Starting February 1, you can send me VMs or PMs with links to your story. I'll add these to a special list, and from that day until the 28th, I'll keep going down the list, reviewing each and every one. (Up until that point, anyway. Once it gets taken off the list, you'd have to resubmit a request.) The idea is that, eventually, I'll be submitting at least one review a day because I'm sure there's a number of you who would probably want at least one guaranteed review. (And if there aren't, I'll just review everything on the first page at least once. *le shrug*)

And here's why this is a planning thread instead of the actual thread proper:

I have no idea if anyone else would like to do it too.

Yep. That's right. I actually sort of want to make this a challenge for everyone in the FF&W. If multiple people are interested, I'll open up a profile/rules/explanation thread for participants, so people can get a good look at who's open and so participants can put up request lists.

So, tl;dr, anyone else want to do this? Remember, you're going to have to review at least once a day, regardless of whether or not you get requests (but your requests will be priority).

Hey, maybe if we really want to get crazy, we can get an artsy person in here to make an emblem for us so we can have an ~*~official~*~ kind of challenge. Thoughts?

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    I'll sign up. This sounds fun. Or not fun. Either way, it'll be after exams are over, so I'll have the time for it.

I'll also be giving a specific format of reviews, known as my "100-point scale of numerical ratings." For the time being, it will be a secret as to what that is.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • I'll sign up. I want to get back reviewing Pokemon fanfiction again, so this looks like a great opportunity to do so.

Real quick, if we want to review chaptered fics, can we just review a chapter of that fic a day if there are some chapters posted already, or we have to review at least one story a day?

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • *Raises hand quietly*

I'll join, but I can't make any promises. I don't know what February might bring just yet, but I can at least try to do at least 4 reviews every Saturday and Sunday if I can't do it on the weekdays. That'll give me at least 32 reviews in February.

Oh, and on the subject of the contest. I think I may be able to come up with an emblem. Just let me know if the Challenge gets officialized in anyway and any emblem specifications that you might want to see.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • I'll definitely join. I've been really lazy recently and hopefully something like this will be able to get me out of it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Sweet! :D It's awesome to see people interested in this. I'll cook up an ~*~official-like~*~ thread for this later on.

Real quick, if we want to review chaptered fics, can we just review a chapter of that fic a day if there are some chapters posted already, or we have to review at least one story a day?

Hmm. Well, half the point of the challenge is to get more stories reviewed in this forum (because the poor writers out there, man), but I'm going back and forth about whether or not things like what constitutes a completed request up to the participants. (Like, you can customize your challenge and give yourself more detailed rules beyond "must submit a review a day within the month of February.) Thoughts?

To Mizan, shiny! I'll poke one of the mods later to see whether or not we'd like to make this an official challenge. As it stands, I kindasorta just started this as an unofficial shindig, but if people really do think it'd be cool to actually get rewards for doing it... *trots off to do some poking*

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • *is poked* Ouch. =(

But I personally certainly feel this could use some promotion and 'officialness' and whatnot. =p Certainly not opposed to the idea of emblems which may attract some people as well, and maybe even an announcement/notice could be employed?

Also although idk how likely it'd be for me to get a review on each single day I could always try to go at the rate of a review a day anyways - hell, why not I'll give this a go too with that at least. =D

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    I'd definitely be interested in doing this. Since my return, I've been neglecting the fan-fiction section, and I'd like to get back into it. I'd definitely be able to so requests, but I do have a lot going on in my real life, so going through the section and reviewing them on my own would be a little more difficult during this time of the year (midterms, SAT's, etc.), but I'd be happy to take requests and I want more emblems

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm with my boob-and-billed partner. I'd like to see this official (since I've been meaning to start something like this, but apparently someone is stealing my thoughts still). So I guess that means that both mods are okay with this being official, so shiny emblems are go.

Though I'm not sure how well a review a day will work for me either, since there might be some days where I'm just too tired. Or too busy torturing pixels.) But I'll certainly try to increase my review count.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Perhaps, instead of one review a day, we make it a monthly goal. Like 40 reviews for the month.

Or, just do it the way Farla's NaReWriMo did, and give 14,000 words worth of reviews before the month is done. (That's 500 words a day, BTW. The original goal was 50,000 words, but I don't think we'll be able to do that much, given just the volume of stories here.)

Trying to review every fic on the first page is pretty much like a NaReWriMo anyway.

Bay

Years
  • Hmm. Well, half the point of the challenge is to get more stories reviewed in this forum (because the poor writers out there, man), but I'm going back and forth about whether or not things like what constitutes a completed request up to the participants. (Like, you can customize your challenge and give yourself more detailed rules beyond "must submit a review a day within the month of February.) Thoughts?*
    Yeah, I know the challenge is to get as many stories as possible reviewed, but I thought I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I usually only follow a few chaptered fics due to real life stuff, so I was thinking I'll probably won't be able to keep up with too many fics if I'm suddenly very busy. Either way though, I do plan to review as many new stories as I can.

Azurne

The Local Trickster
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2011
    Ooh, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I've tried once or twice to review everything on the front page, but both times only got to the third story down before calling it quits for the day...

Now, if I had something like this prodding me, I might be able to get a little more done. :p

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • I think I will be more apt to join if people actually take advice. I love giving advice--I really do. But I feel like people do not put in the work that they should after the review is given. You can see many of the same mistakes within their stories the chapter after. People just doesn't take the time to edit their work if a mistake is in it. I guess it just bothers me that people would rather quit their work than revise. At any rate, I will try to review more for the sake of the site.

Bay

Years
  • I think I will be more apt to join if people actually take advice. I love giving advice--I really do. But I feel like people do not put in the work that they should after the review is given. You can see many of the same mistakes within their stories the chapter after. People just doesn't take the time to edit their work if a mistake is in it. I guess it just bothers me that people would rather quit their work than revise. At any rate, I will try to review more for the sake of the site.
    Well, you can't blame them for making the same mistakes the first couple chapters. When I first started writing, it took me a few chapters until I finally got the hang of able to correcting even the simplest grammar mistakes. I'm sure many writers are trying their best to take the advice from the reviewers, but it'll take some time until you really saw improvement from them. If indeed it is shown that they didn't appreciate the reviews and not take the time to polish later chapters, then that's understandable to be annoyed by that.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'd like to see this official (since I've been meaning to start something like this, but apparently someone is stealing my thoughts still).

Your dreams are tasty. :(

On a serious note, woot! \o/ In that case, I think we'd only need one for completing the challenge (which kinda makes it easy on Mizan, who has thankfully volunteered to be an awesome graphics monkey). Which means we now have to go through the hard part: figuring out what defines the challenge.

Speaking of which...

Perhaps, instead of one review a day, we make it a monthly goal. Like 40 reviews for the month.

Or, just do it the way Farla's NaReWriMo did, and give 14,000 words worth of reviews before the month is done. (That's 500 words a day, BTW. The original goal was 50,000 words, but I don't think we'll be able to do that much, given just the volume of stories here.)

Trying to review every fic on the first page is pretty much like a NaReWriMo anyway.

Side note: Yes, the reason why Farla set the word count at 50k is because it's the reviewing equivalent of NaNoWriMo.

With that being said, lowering the count to about 500 words a day might actually be making the goal harder than just a review a day. The reason why I say this is because a review doesn't have to be pages upon pages long; it just has to be at least a paragraph in length. (Paragraph because you can usually point out specific details and comment on them within that amount of space.) That might be a minimum of 100 words. (Comparison FTW: This entire paragraph is 198 words long. You can definitely cover specific details and everything you'd like to say about them in the same amount of space, and that would still be considered a review. Sometimes, those kinds of reviews might even be better than full-on, rip-apart-a-story-line-by-line crits, particularly if the reviewer knows what they're talking about and can say it concisely.) That means you're done with one story in roughly 100 words, but you'll still have to figure out what to do with the other 400. Or, if you decide to only do one review that day or skip a day, that means the next day, you might be looking at 900 to 1000 words.

On the other hand, it does also make this a real challenge because we're being pushed to write a little more than just a paragraph for each story, even those that might not elicit a wordy response from us. It's certainly not the kind of challenge that requires us to write 1786. (Roughly the number of words you'd need to write 50k in twenty-eight days. Doing this in a 31-day month like Farla would require roughly 1613, by the by.) However, it's still a bit harder of a goal to make than simply one review a month, and that might make the marathon a little more interesting. Not to mention it would improve some of our reviewing skills because we're forced to look over work in a short amount of time and come up with more to say about each.

Of course, whether or not people would have the time to write 500 words a day is questionable. (This is why the original proposal just left it at one review a day, rather than a specific daily word count.) Hence, I'm just putting both sides of the argument up and letting other people talk about it. Would a word count make this more appealing or less? Same thing with a higher review count than just twenty-eight. (Remember: You don't have to stop at twenty-eight reviews, too.)

I think I will be more apt to join if people actually take advice. I love giving advice--I really do. But I feel like people do not put in the work that they should after the review is given. You can see many of the same mistakes within their stories the chapter after. People just doesn't take the time to edit their work if a mistake is in it. I guess it just bothers me that people would rather quit their work than revise. At any rate, I will try to review more for the sake of the site.

I love it when authors just don't address your review at all. I could name names, but... :/

However, I do agree with Bay. In addition, I'd just like to add that there's really only so much you can do for an author. At most, you can discuss your reasoning for why you said what you did about their story, but in the end, you just can't force them to take your advice. If they're rude about it or completely ignore you, you can always just walk away and spend time reviewing someone else who's more open to suggestions. (And trust me. On PC, there's plenty of people who are.)

The fun thing about exchanges where the author is resistant to concrit? It serves as advertisement in itself if you're patient. Other members of the board might look at your behavior and decide to ask you to review, and other reviewers might look at the author and realize they're not worth anyone's time. So, if you encounter a reviewer who's seriously egotistical enough to put up some resistance to fixing up his or her work, it's actually not that much of a bad thing.

Tl;dr, sure, we might not be able to force people to listen to us, but there's people out there who will. We shouldn't let ourselves get bogged down by the silly folk.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    With that being said, lowering the count to about 500 words a day might actually be making the goal harder than just a review a day. The reason why I say this is because a review doesn't have to be pages upon pages long; it just has to be at least a paragraph in length. (Paragraph because you can usually point out specific details and comment on them within that amount of space.) That might be a minimum of 100 words. (Comparison FTW: This entire paragraph is 198 words long. You can definitely cover specific details and everything you'd like to say about them in the same amount of space, and that would still be considered a review. Sometimes, those kinds of reviews might even be better than full-on, rip-apart-a-story-line-by-line crits, particularly if the reviewer knows what they're talking about and can say it concisely.) That means you're done with one story in roughly 100 words, but you'll still have to figure out what to do with the other 400. Or, if you decide to only do one review that day or skip a day, that means the next day, you might be looking at 900 to 1000 words.

Dang. How about 7,000 words, then? That's 250 a day.

(I mean, one review a day is good, too.)

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Well, you can't blame them for making the same mistakes the first couple chapters. When I first started writing, it took me a few chapters until I finally got the hang of able to correcting even the simplest grammar mistakes. I'm sure many writers are trying their best to take the advice from the reviewers, but it'll take some time until you really saw improvement from them. If indeed it is shown that they didn't appreciate the reviews and not take the time to polish later chapters, then that's understandable to be annoyed by that.

Yeah. I didn't mean to sound elitist or anything when I said that. It's just I suppose I expect someone to at least talk to me. When I do something wrong in a story, I like to connect with the reviewer to kind of pick their brain. So I guess I sort of expect the same here. I'm not trying to shove a review down their throat and be like CHANGE IT OR YOUR ARE A DUMB WRITER. I just want them to acknowledge whether I'm on the money or completely off. You don't even have to accept it. But it is very few that adjust their work period after some reviews.

Inversely, I'm slightly annoyed when they take my advice without much of a resistance. You should have a good defense on why you did the way that you did. I don't want to write the story for a person. I want them to feel their own way through.

Accepting reviews is a learned process. I didn't know that until recently. It looks like someone is ripping your work apart at first. It's like when you get a paper back in class and all you see is those red squiggly lines. You feel kind of bad. I guess I just have to learn to connect with writers a bit better. I want to see more from these wonderful people that I'm getting.

The fun thing about exchanges where the author is resistant to concrit? It serves as advertisement in itself if you're patient. Other members of the board might look at your behavior and decide to ask you to review, and other reviewers might look at the author and realize they're not worth anyone's time. So, if you encounter a reviewer who's seriously egotistical enough to put up some resistance to fixing up his or her work, it's actually not that much of a bad thing.

There are times when you need to walk away from an exchange I suppose. Some people are just critique resistance. I was at first admittedly. Yet when I walked away and reviewed the evidence, I found that my work wasn't perfect. You can't teach people to strive for perfection. A bit of an ego is nice. I possess a slight one myself (I squash it as best as I can while conversing with people). If someone is mistaken about my work or finding a flaw that doesn't exist in that particular scene, I counter. It's just who I am.

Again. I'm not saying I'm the best of authors. I see many avenues that I haven't fully paved yet. Yet I'm going to try to give more reviews.

Hitoshizuku

something shining
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    (jumps on the bandwagon ^_^) Seriously, it's awesome that there seems to be so much enthusiasm for this idea. As someone who's never reviewed at PC before (shame shame), I think that a community-wide reviewing effort could go a long way in helping me overcome my crippling shyness/inherent laziness.

I like the idea of a review a day. I'm hoping it'll be cumulative, i.e. 28 total reviews for February or whatever month you choose? The word count idea, however, makes me a bit uneasy, if only because it has the potential to degenerate into some copy-paste fest (which, incidentally, is the main reason I think Farla is able to plow through those 50,000 words for NaRe ^^). Besides, more words don't necessarily hold more useful content, right? I'd rather get a paragraph pointing out overarching trends in grammar errors and how to address them than a page of block quotes showing every time I missed a comma. As long as the reviews themselves meet some basic standards (e.g. no one liners and such…or there can be more rigorous requirements if people want), I think things should work out fine. And I guess people can always set individual goals for themselves if they do want to keep track of word count or whatnot.

As to the comment Bay had able whether or not different chapters of the same fic should count as different reviews, just looking at the number of stories that were posted on PC in the last month compared to the number of people in this thread who are thinking about participating, it looks like there might be a lot more potential reviews than individual stories. So either reviews would have to be done for stories older than the one month comment limit (is that okay by PM? fuuu, I know nothing…) or stories on different sites, or you may indeed have to count reviews on different chapters separately. I guess you could also have multiple people review the same story as well, but eh.

In a kinda-but-not-so-related vein, should there be centralized sign-ups or something to make sure people aren't all reviewing the same stories? Or, in an actually-related-to-that-vein, should authors be allowed to spam one story out to a bunch of different request lists?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It's just I suppose I expect someone to at least talk to me.
    You're not alone. There are a lot of authors and reviewers who would like more communication between each other.

Inversely, I'm slightly annoyed when they take my advice without much of a resistance. You should have a good defense on why you did the way that you did.
    Sometimes, though, there just isn't a reason that can either be explained or because the author didn't know any better until someone told them or the author doesn't know that they can disagree with reviewers or... Lots of reasons. It's as you said. When posting online, newer authors might need the time to learn that not everyone will like their work. And given what PC is, it tends to be a learning experience here.

I completely lost where I was going with this. Darn aliens.

I hope nothing deters you from reviewing, my good sir. It'll be awesome to have you on board.

Hitoshizuku said:
    if only because it has the potential to degenerate into some copy-paste fest (which, incidentally, is the main reason I think Farla is able to plow through those 50,000 words for NaRe ^^)
    Pretty much.

It's kind of like NaNoWriMo. A few giant wankfests started because people focused only on the word count and copy/pasted whatever they could to reach the count. It might be more of a quality-over-quantity thing. As Hitoshizuku said, it might be better to just have a paragraph explaining comma rules instead of posting every missed comma just to reach the word count. (I'm sure we've all experienced that in reviewing. Where it's just easier to fully explain once than over and over again in parts.)

Would a word count make this more appealing or less? Same thing with a higher review count than just twenty-eight.
    Less for me. o7 There are some days where I'm so ungodly tired that getting to a certain word count a day is just not doable. Or a story might not just have that much for me to say about it. A review-a-day is much easier for me personally. A word count might make me less likely to actually do this (though I'd still try). If I just have to review a story a day, then it doesn't seem as intimidating. Because I know I can do a review a day. I can't be sure if I can hit X number of words a day or even make it up for each week.

So I'm a proponent of having a set number of reviews as a goal than a set word count.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • You're not alone. There are a lot of authors and reviewers who would like more communication between each other.

I'm glad at least this is being addressed. It would be nice to see everyone talking about this.

Sometimes, though, there just isn't a reason that can either be explained or because the author didn't know any better until someone told them or the author doesn't know that they can disagree with reviewers or... Lots of reasons. It's as you said. When posting online, newer authors might need the time to learn that not everyone will like their work. And given what PC is, it tends to be a learning experience here.

This is true. Learning how to take criticism is part of being an artist in any field. It may be intimidating to see people giving reviews--but its not something to be feared of. We are a group of people that learned (and still learning) the trade. The new writers just has to learn that we aren't monsters I suppose.

I hope nothing deters you from reviewing, my good sir. It'll be awesome to have you on board.

Don't worry. Nothing is going to deter me. I'm really on board (especially after I get my new signature and avatar that I can show off).

Back