• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

People are so quick to call troll nowadays

Years
    Trolling is an art. If drawing is fine, why isn't trolling? Hell, I used to join certain forums just so I could troll them. And some forums I just trolled because I was bored. Like when I posted a thread asking for Zoroark when it was first revealed and my 1337 clan on PE2K. :P
    And when I joined in with a giant flame war against a forum who wanted to hack PC. Oh and I used to piss off all of the mods at PHO because they didn't chose staff fairly, I didn't get on with the admin and certain members got away with things all of the time. But yeah all that's in the past I'm a good boy now.
    The point is...TROLLING FTW! :D

Hell yeah! The key is moderation though. Some of the most hilarious and genius things I have seen on the internet have stemmed from intelligent trolls. It's just a massive bag of lols if it's done right, even for the victim(s) in some cases. I think I just generally piss off most staff members on whatever forum I go on. I imagine them being like;

"Who the hell is this Drakow dude? And why does he keep blabbering about darkness and stuff?"

"I dunno man, he just came out of nowhere. I think it would be best to keep an eye on him though."

"Agreed. I want a full compilation of ALL of his activity in the last week or so. Forum posts, visitor messages, EVERYTHING! I want to know which subforums he visits, how often he visits them. I want to know what kind of people he talks to over VM and his frequency of interaction with each of these people. Watch him like a hawk and eventually he'll slip up and then we can lower the boom on his ass."

It's a bit overexaggerated but ya get the gist of it. The key to being a successful troll is to be as amusing as possible while minimizing the potential harm you could cause to other people. After all, no harm no foul, right?

Years
    I find it funny that some members in here think they are being cool trolls, where they are actually just being annoying and really stupid.

"Trolling is an art." Yes, it is. You have to have the right amount of humor and knowledge to pull it off and a lot of you don't.

I use to troll a lot, but I just realised that there is no point anymore. Reflecting on the whole trolling thing, it is just pretty annoying for everyone if you aren't a 'wanna-be-troll'.​

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    My sense of humour doesn't wait in the detriment of other people, so trolling is not something I care to take note of nor partake in. I honestly haven't seen many people too quick to 'call troll', usually far too slow in fact while even thereafter they let themselves continue to grow irritated.

I troll all the time. ALL THE TIME.
    The key is moderation though.
    Ha ha ha, oh wow.

Years
    My sense of humour doesn't wait in the detriment of other people, so trolling is not something I care to take note of nor partake in. I honestly haven't seen many people too quick to 'call troll', usually far too slow in fact while even thereafter they let themselves continue to grow irritated.

Ha ha ha, oh wow.

Trolloollolololol, you got me. Well spotted. I was overexaggerating that first point though.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    @Pachy

Actually, it's 5.

Avoidance - you ignore or refuse to go into the conflict in the first place, so nothing gets done. You both lose.

Competition - you have to win, no matter what, whether by lying, elevating your own argument, etc. You win, they lose.

Accommodation - You willingly give up your goals for the sake of the other person. They win, you lose.

Compromise - you both lose some, you both win some.

Collaboration - both parties work together to come up with an mutually agreeable solution. You both win.

The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. They feast on your reactions. Unless you can counter troll, but then the entire scene just becomes plain silly. I've been trolled plenty of times (few days ago, actually). If reason, logic, polite requests to stop, etc etc, don't work, then just leave.

I can't say I'm terribly opposed to the fact of trolling truly ignorant, mean spirited people though.

Years
    @Pachy

Actually, it's 5.

Avoidance - you ignore or refuse to go into the conflict in the first place, so nothing gets done. You both lose.

Competition - you have to win, no matter what, whether by lying, elevating your own argument, etc. You win, they lose.

Accommodation - You willingly give up your goals for the sake of the other person. They win, you lose.

Compromise - you both lose some, you both win some.

Collaboration - both parties work together to come up with an mutually agreeable solution. You both win.

The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. They feast on your reactions. Unless you can counter troll, but then the entire scene just becomes plain silly. I've been trolled plenty of times (few days ago, actually). If reason, logic, polite requests to stop, etc etc, don't work, then just leave.

I can't say I'm terribly opposed to the fact of trolling truly ignorant, mean spirited people though.

1) That's generally the best course of action. Even I've been trolled before. I used to do a bit of fighting back but now I realize that the true nature of all Mathematicians is that they are lazy asses, so I can't be bothered anymore and hence, I usually just ignore them.

INB4 the entire forum starts ignoring me V_____V

2) That's what I like to read >=D

INB4 she was referring to me and the entire forum starts trolling me now V_____V

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    In my eyes there really is no such thing as a troll. The term has been totally ruined much like the term "noob" it no longer holds any meaning whatsoever. But apparently you shouldn't listen to me because I am a troll.

The closest thing that can be called a troll is when someone blatantly post something that's out of the question, in which case nobody is really 'trolled' anyway because it's quite apparent what's going on. Check out Filocakes for examples.

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years

Ok, now there really isn't too much of a difference between "Being obnoxious" and "Acting obnoxious". Obnoxious is obnoxious no matter if you're playing or not. Playing dumb has nothing to do with it either.

The difference I was trying to convey was intent. Sure intent doesn't usually matter a whole lot, but sometimes it does. Sometimes, you're willing to tolerate someone who is just having a bad day, but definitely not someone who's just picking on you for fun. I know I feel that way sometime. At that point it just comes down to giving them generous chances to stop and then putting your foot down.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Trolling is an art.

However, it ceases to be an art when you begin to pay no attention at all to the feelings of others. It ceases being an art if you have to insult someone to get them to rise hilariously. It's not really "funny" if you have to run a previous mistake they made in the ground.

It's in this way that trolling has it's forbidden side. Those who dabble in the forbidden side are known as failtrolls. Failtrolling is not an art, anyone with half a brain can do it. :<
    Anyone with less brains than that actually think its funny.

Trolling is indeed an art. Those who can do it with finesse, no matter how well liked or hated they may be by a person are indeed great at it. Laughter is the greatest medicine, and bringing laughter to someone who needs it isn't being a "troll" in the negative sense. A good troll can one-up the "SRS BZNIZ" screamers, and the "OMG Y SO SRS" crowd all in one post, make it sound as polite as possible and make everyone who is reading the post, even the ones who it's aimed at, laugh their frreaking asses off. At the same time the post will incite a response which continues the laughs, but isn't going to offend the target or anyone else. It's difficult to pull off. :P

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Trolling is an art.

However, it ceases to be an art when you begin to pay no attention at all to the feelings of others. It ceases being an art if you have to insult someone to get them to rise hilariously. It's not really "funny" if you have to run a previous mistake they made in the ground.

It's in this way that trolling has it's forbidden side. Those who dabble in the forbidden side are known as failtrolls. Failtrolling is not an art, anyone with half a brain can do it. :<
    Anyone with less brains than that actually think its funny.

Trolling is indeed an art. Those who can do it with finesse, no matter how well liked or hated they may be by a person are indeed great at it. Laughter is the greatest medicine, and bringing laughter to someone who needs it isn't being a "troll" in the negative sense. A good troll can one-up the "SRS BZNIZ" screamers, and the "OMG Y SO SRS" crowd all in one post, make it sound as polite as possible and make everyone who is reading the post, even the ones who it's aimed at, laugh their frreaking asses off. At the same time the post will incite a response which continues the laughs, but isn't going to offend the target or anyone else. It's difficult to pull off. :P

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. You just way over-complicated trolling.

Trolling is not an art. (I think we should also have a thread made discussing how quick people are to claim that just about anything is "an art.") Trolling is simply the act of posting things which will incite response. Usually, negative response, because their trolling was offensive or comedy at the expense of someone else. Trolling is simply the act of being bored and wanting a laugh for yourself. The best trolls are indeed the opposite of what you pointed out: the best trolls troll because they feel like it. They shouldn't care what other people think because that'd be censoring themselves. Making other people laugh isn't generally their main concern, it's mostly just to make themselves laugh and make the person they're pestering mad.

Years
    Who cares if it's art? Hell, how about we call Kefka and he'll display us how destruction is art..
    Never figured the art part (rhyme) of it, and I don't care either.

Also pachy, there's a difference between someone who's funny / at least attempting to be than to those who hurt feeling. Trolling is like sexism; no use in overreacting to every small thing. Just laugh (depends on the situation) and continue forward.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    I don't believe I've trolled anyone before, except when my friends sarcastically comment on my facebook statuses. They try to troll me, then I just return a larger, crueler troll in their direction. I'm more of an anti-troll.

I may not look it, but I can direct insults and come out on top in arguments if I feel I need to.

Years
    I've never trolled nor have had a person online (or in rl for that matter) called me one...but I have seen conversations where people pull out the troll card out...it get's really annoying that people who can't come up with anything else to add to the debate call one a Racist, Sexist, troll, ect. even when they clearly aren't...

And start correcting one's grammar when the discussion has nothing to do with grammar or one's intelligence.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    i've noticed people call someone a troll by the way they type, by the way their comment sounds, and the nature of a comment. the big one i see is someone calling someone a troll because they are on different stances and have different opinions in an argument. i don't really understand it, so i can't elaborate why, because it's something i'm trying to figure out myself. i don't know, some people are just stupid, i guess? isn't that a good reason? but yes, i have trolled before (who hasn't tbh?). it can be fun on a day where you're feeling like antagonizing people for your own amusement, but other than that i don't see the general appeal to trolling on the internet. it's much more pleasing to do it in real life, after all... :)

Years
    Yes, I have been trolled...if some of you remember. I haven't.

But I call others troll whenever when someone identifies the troll. I'm really dim to that kind of thing.

Back