• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Photoshop Q & A

Light Umbreon

All level 100 party.
Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2007
    Paint and PS....

I only have paint. I was wondering if that was good enough to make the banners you guys make if not please post what I could use, I got it for a gift.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Answer

I only have paint. I was wondering if that was good enough to make the banners you guys make if not please post what I could use, I got it for a gift.

Well... if your extremely good you can; but no animations unless you made them yourself.

I don't know what i could recommend; but photoshop or paintshop pro. Photoshop elements, CS2 or any model of the program would be your safest bet.

Hope that helped ^^

Angle-san

Don't Worry Little One
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Oct 20, 2007

Photoshop is good one if you don't have alot of money you can buy photoshop elements at like target or wal-mart.
    With just paint you won't be able to do what we do unless it's like sprites or sprite comix.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • Photoshop Elements has most of the features of a full version of PS; and it costs around US$100 which is less than 20% of the price of the full version. But it's well worth the money if you use it a lot. The most recent version of PS is CS3 which costs around US$650 ... =_= which is a lot

Years
  • mmhm; i got photoshop elements; the only real thing it misses is the pen tool, thats all. If your extremely skilled in paint you can draw very, very detailed pixel (overs or originals) pictures. Photshop; as i said before; is your safest bet.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • Well, lets see ... Im using CS2, so hopefully it wont be too different
    Heres my sucky, non-professional method:

First Get the Rounded Rectangle Tool, which is with the vector masks. If you cant find it, press U and the tool will highlight. It probably isnt a rounded rectangle. So you need to right click on it and select the "Rounded Rectangle Tool", which looks like a little rounded rectangle xP

At the top of your screen you should have a few options such as "Radius". This sets the radius of your round corners. Bear in mind that by default it may be set to inches. You can right click on the box to change to any unit you wish. To the left of the radius box is a little down-arrow, which you may also click on to bring up more options for your rectangle like forcing a square shape, or setting a predefined size.

After youve got everything set up, draw your rounded rectangle right on what you want to select. (Hold down SHIFT as you do so to keep it square if you need to) Do not be alarmed when it shows up as a big, rounded rectangle with your foreground color. Thats just fine!

So what we've actually done was create a vector mask. Now of course it doesnt have to be one. Another thing to note is that its already on its separate layer, w00t! So once youve gotten it to the size and shape you want (youll basically have this big, colored, rounded rectangle over your art) Right click on the layer its in, and click "Rasturize Layer". This will just turn it into any old rounded rectangle.

Now get your Magic Wand tool and select the rectangle and delete it! Yup, delete it! But keep the shape that the magic wand selected. And then you should have a perfect rounded square selection.

o.0 Wow that was really long for something fairly simple... well hopefully that helped anyway!
    [I took off my usual red font in case staring at the instructions too long would ruin someone's eyes ^_^;]

ShadowLucario

Shadow Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2008
    hey guys, i really want to start making banners, and i really want photoshop, but its so darn expensive. But this, Photshop Elements, is so much cheaper. SHould i get that? or should i save up for Photoshop? I just dont know!

PS - Some people were talking about if limewire is illegal. (idk if someone already answered this but oh well) Limewire ITSELF is not illegal, but downloading things with copyrights on them IS.

thanks

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • hey guys, i really want to start making banners, and i really want photoshop, but its so darn expensive. But this, Photshop Elements, is so much cheaper. SHould i get that? or should i save up for Photoshop? I just dont know!

Well, if youre just getting started, Id recommend Elements for the fact that it contains most of the fundamental tools and functions for a fraction of the full version price. Then, if you feel committed and "skill'd", you could think about getting the full version or not.

Also! You could try downloading GIMP since it is free. It also contains many photoshop-like tools you could experiment with before getting Elements or the full version.

PS - Some people were talking about if limewire is illegal. (idk if someone already answered this but oh well) Limewire ITSELF is not illegal, but downloading things with copyrights on them IS.

thanks

Im not sure if this is the right thread or the right forum to post this in, sry! ^_^

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    hey guys, i really want to start making banners, and i really want photoshop, but its so darn expensive. But this, Photshop Elements, is so much cheaper. SHould i get that? or should i save up for Photoshop? I just dont know!

thanks

i have photoshop cs3 extended personally, but i tried elements at a pc store, and for signature making its sufficient

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • Erm, I dont exactly see a white BG on that banner ... unless you mean the white text? Otherwise Id do it. Please clarify! ^_^

btw you wouldnt mind imageshack would you?

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • Oh wait, now I see it... Couldnt you just crop it? Its still rectangular. You could just drag a selection box in MS Paint, copy, paste and then resize it from the corners! That shouldnt be too hard =/

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Two questions:

1. How does one use textures? *SUPERSHOTNESS* [/I know I'm lame. Sorry.]

2. When I was using my square brush, one of the default ones, I was trying to change the brush options so that it would smooth and scatter. But for some reason, smooth and scatter are gray-ed off and PS7 won't let me select smooth or scatter. Only like, Shape Dynamics is un-gray-ed. Is it just my version of PS7 that won't let me set the square brushes to smooth, scatter, and shape dynamic options? D:

Rena

i WILL save this patient!
    Years
  • 1. Wellzorz, I can't really explain it that well, but like, you use them to "enhance." your image more toodly-doodly. Like, you can use it to make the color of the image different, or the quality and stuff of it, you also can create textures.

Photoshop Q & A

Example of a texture by toybirds@livejournal.

Photoshop Q & A

An example of using this texture, icon made by me (no stealing..!) See the part of the manga colorization that is a bit more grey-ish, and the dark spot at the top, you just copy and paste that on, then set it to a blending change.

2. Lulz I dun knoww.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • 2. When I was using my square brush, one of the default ones, I was trying to change the brush options so that it would smooth and scatter. But for some reason, smooth and scatter are gray-ed off and PS7 won't let me select smooth or scatter. Only like, Shape Dynamics is un-gray-ed. Is it just my version of PS7 that won't let me set the square brushes to smooth, scatter, and shape dynamic options? D:

Hmm, maybe you cant edit default brushes?

Im using CS2, but we'll see if this walkthrough works =/

You could make a new brush by making a new image, and then drawing a simple square (and any other options you were going for). Then go to Edit > Define Brush Preset and do the naming and all that junk. Now go and select your new brush from the list (probably at the bottom) and go back to the Brushes option tab and see if the settings work.

If so, yayy for you! And of course be sure to save the settings by clicking on the arrow on the Brushes tab (with the option window open) and click New Brush Preset to save the settings on the current brush.

If this doesnt work, then youve got me stumped! T_T

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hmm, maybe you cant edit default brushes?

Im using CS2, but we'll see if this walkthrough works =/

You could make a new brush by making a new image, and then drawing a simple square (and any other options you were going for). Then go to Edit > Define Brush Preset and do the naming and all that junk. Now go and select your new brush from the list (probably at the bottom) and go back to the Brushes option tab and see if the settings work.

If so, yayy for you! And of course be sure to save the settings by clicking on the arrow on the Brushes tab (with the option window open) and click New Brush Preset to save the settings on the current brush.

If this doesnt work, then youve got me stumped! T_T

HOMG. JOO ARE SO AMAZING. JOO ARE LAIKE, MASTER OF FIXING PHOTOSHOP LULZ.

I am not worthy of your greatness. Thank you so so so much, TIME TO DO SOME SERIOUS PHOTOSHOPPIN M'MAN. >DDD

Miki-chan: Lulz, I get it now! I actually was wondering where I would find the ones I have installed with my PS7 patch, but oh well. *s'all good.*

Back