• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing as a female

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
Years
  • On any game I nearly have a 50/50 (its usually 60/40 male way) chance of playing a female. Overall I'm okay with anyone playing the opposite gender in games. However, not every game has people that share these opinions. On the Darkfall forums for example, a great deal of the folks detest those that would choose the opposite gender, even to the point that some have exclaimed that they would kick the offending player out of thier guild if they found out and KoS (Kill on Sight)them in the game.

But in general most folks do not care.

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    motivational-poster-mmorpg-roman-numeral.jpg

explains it all

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I have absolutely no problem playing as a female in MMORPGs and other games. Hell, Even when it comes to forums, sometimes I 'dress' a bit more feminine like. It's not like I'm casting aside the fact I'm a guy. In fact I'm proud to be a guy

But it does feel good to shrug off the social expectations of being a guy sometimes and just expressing your inner self without pause.

So, to all you people who think it's weird or wrong to role play as the opposite gender, I say..."You are wrong."

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • For me, it depends on the type of game. In Pokemon, all your really choose is the gender, and everything else is decided for the character. You really have no choice but become the hero. But in games where you simulate like (Sims), I always play as a male because I have the choice to make the character exactly like me.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I have done it a few times. I have no issue with it. If the character design for a female looks better I will use a female. It gets very annoying in an MMORPG when a guy starts to hit on you and your a guy yourself, really shows you bad it can be for girl players sometimes.

Just like on Playstation home. So many guys crowd around one girl, it so silly.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    Hmm, I don't really mind. Just like Final Fantasy 6, I would use either although I would usually use a guy, but sometimes you have to play as a girl, I don't mind.
    But, I never really think about it, I actually most of the time, play as a guy...

Gelly

Don't eat me!
    Years
  • WTF? What's the big deal? I'm a girl and in the ruby version i play with Brendan, i have no problem, if i don't have a problem, why would a boy have?

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • I have no problem with guys playing as girls on games. Infact, I play as a girl quite often myself, 'cuz quite honestly, the guys in most games don't look that decent.

Some examples of where I play as a girl:
    - Fable II [Although, I have several playthroughs of both genders]
    - Pokémon [I hate the male sprites in pokémon games]
    - Bleach: Shattered Blade [I always play as Rukia, as personal preference]
    - Final Fantasy IV DS [I use Rydia as the overworld]
    - Star Ocean 3 [I always control Maria in battles]

So yeah, I don't really mind. Although I stick to male charachters on games I play online.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Usually not, there are a couple rare exceptions. I would almost always play as a female in FR/LG. Leaf is just too cool, I think it's awesome to have a 'female' red.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • I don't see any problem with anyone playing the other gender.
    "I would rather see a girl's butt then a guy's when I play a game" is a common excuse my male friend's give.
    Me I just like playing my own gender better, makes me feel more like it's really me doing this amazing stuff... (God that sounds nerdy)

Raven-NAR-32450

The Great and Powerful RAVEN
    Years
  • as a guy i like to play as the female because its a personal preference, and playing as a male got kinda boring for me. I wanted a nice change of pace.........like my RAcaseal in PSO, she kicks butt!

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
  • Well, I don't know about the MMOs you guys play, but whenever I make a new char on Silkroad Online, I always choose a female skin. Firstly, because it looks better, and secondly, because the equipment is waaaaaaaaay cheaper.
    In pokemon, my char is a female, because of the name I use. [musical note]iMaid[musical note].
    In everything else, I'll choose whatever looks better.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    But in games where you simulate like (Sims), I always play as a male because I have the choice to make the character exactly like me.
    I'm the opposite when it comes to the Sims. Except for one time, I always choose to play with the male Sims.

As for other games where I can choose what gender to play as, it depends really on how the sprites/characters look or what name I want to use. For instance, in FireRed, I chose the female sprite to fit the name "Hanako", but am willing to play as the male. In Ruby, I play as the male or the female. In Pearl, I chose the female for the name, but in Platnium, I'll play as the male.

It doesn't really bother me to play as a male. It also doesn't bother me if I see a man playing as a female character. My views of gender break the stereotypical mold in real life, so why should I try to follow it in a video game, or force others to do so?

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • It doesn't really bother me which gender of character I play as, I usually end up deciding on the character that I like better regardless of gender. It definitely doesn't bother me playing as a female character; I play as Hikari in D/P for example.

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I dont think So i prefer the girl more then the guy but if i'm rushing through a game i'll use a guy if i'm playing it for effectiveness i'll use the girl.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Most of the time I find the girls' appearance ugly. Guess who I play as?

Back