• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity's Small Writing Contest!

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
  • Mine's done. It ended up being quite a bit longer than I would've liked, but first I want to have a few friends look it over for me. I'll submit it tomorrow, before I go to school. Is that acceptable?

Yes, that's perfectly fine. You have exactly

27 hours, 16 minutes

before the deadline.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • There, I think my initial draft is pretty much done. I took a compromise on the possibly touchy ending I had considered and went with one that while possibly still touchy to some people, is ambiguous and uncertain as to the outcome.

Overall, I think it's pretty interesting and almost completely different from what I usually write. I can already see complaints about it not having much of a point, as it pretty much completely lacks any sort of moral or meaning to the story, but I've always considered complaints like that to be silly. I'm not writing fanfiction to tell people life lessons, I'm writing it because I enjoy writing and want to share these ideas I have with others for entertainment. I can also see complaints about it being pretentious and that I tried too hard to make things sound all fancy and metaphorical, however I'll say right now that all of that was intentional. The story is entirely within this character's head, and that is how they think. I didn't write this way for the hell of it, I did it to show an aspect of this character's personality.

So yeah, proofreading and then I'll be done. May submit tonight, or let it stew some and do it tomorrow. We shall see...

Years
  • I wanna get in on this and i know I'm realy limiting myself on time but i think i can get something amazing together in this short time. look for my pm b4 the end of Monday.

Kleinchen

boldly going
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2013
    I hope everyone posts their fics in the FF section, I really want to see everyone's entries. -nosy- C: I'll certainly be posting mine once the contest is over and the winners have been announced. :D

Notched^^

パイパイピチュー
    Years
  • Might as well enter since im new seems liek ill meet people here ^^ its a get together right xD and once i saw time i already knew my story :D

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I hope everyone posts their fics in the FF section, I really want to see everyone's entries. -nosy- C: I'll certainly be posting mine once the contest is over and the winners have been announced. :D

I'd guess once the contest is over most participants will publish their stories because from what I've followed in the conversations they have managed to call each other's attention. It would also be nice, "hey I have this story I wrote for a contest, here you have it with all my heart". You know? I'm going to post mine like that.

It would also be interesting to get the reviews from the judges there but that's another point.

Now that I submitted my entry I've been nervous all day thinking that I rushed myself and submitted one day too early (I was not going to be available on Monday anyways). But it also has made me think about what kind of stories other people wrote and that it will add to the sense of appreciation once I get to read them.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • DOUBLE ANNOUNCEMENT

1) I added a contestants section to the first post. Know your competition and cower in fear, my pretties.

2) DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRIES IN THE FF SECTION! After talking to Asty, we have agreed to start a thread in the Writers Lounge where I will post all of the entries. Astinus has already agreed to keep the thread stickied for a month or two, so don't worry about people never seeing it. You wanted an honorable mention, you've got it.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Whee, proofreading is done. Since it's late I'm going to wait until tomorrow to submit though, giving me a little more time to think about changing some things. I may even proofread again.

With this proofreading I decided to actually read it out loud, which has its benefits and drawbacks. It helps me to best get the overall feel of the story, and there's no way better to guarantee that the flow is fluent and what I want. However, it's pretty much crap for catching smaller grammatical errors and typos, so I may proofread again the normal way, in my head. Reading aloud is fun though and really gets me into character. I've always wondered what I'd be like as a voice actor. I don't have much variability to my voice, but then again I've heard plenty of professionals who don't either.

So yeah, especially after reading it like this I do like it, however I'm a bit concerned that not everyone will. I guess that's a risk you have to take with anything you write. Also, after reading I can say that the violence isn't too bad in itself, it's the actual method of violence that's the worst. Still, it's not all too bad and while I'll give it an R to be safe, it's definitely not as R as Haunting is.

Good luck to anyone else who hasn't finished yet. :D

Edit: Ninja'D... Personally, I'd prefer it if we could post our own threads. I'm guessing the concerns are that there'd be a flood of threads, perhaps pushing some fics off the page leaving some entries to go unread. A possible solution to this would be to have a stickied index of entries, adding them to the index after the author posts it assuming they want to post it.

I like having my own thread as, for one, any replies to my fic are easier to read. In such a combined thread, all replies would be mixed up, jumbled, and generally impersonal. To people who don't regularly post fanfics the combined thread might not be a problem, but to us dedicated fanfic writers a combined thread would just be awkward.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Edit: Ninja'D... Personally, I'd prefer it if we could post our own threads. I'm guessing the concerns are that there'd be a flood of threads, perhaps pushing some fics off the page leaving some entries to go unread. A possible solution to this would be to have a stickied index of entries, adding them to the index after the author posts it assuming they want to post it.

I like having my own thread as, for one, any replies to my fic are easier to read. In such a combined thread, all replies would be mixed up, jumbled, and generally impersonal. To people who don't regularly post fanfics the combined thread might not be a problem, but to us dedicated fanfic writers a combined thread would just be awkward.
    I'm sure those are all the exact concerns the various admins have and us frequenters of the FFaP section should have.

It may seem like that thread will end up being nothing more than a bloated list of our entries, but in reality it'll be more a thread that showcases each story one after the other... Almost like logging onto Barnes and Noble and scrolling down, seeing story after story with reviews applied to each. It's very much a Hall of Fame comparable to the Pokemon games, so I'm both thrilled and honored to have mine in a thread with so many others that have done an excellent job and given me a fun experience rather than in a lonely, arrogant thread of my own.

bit.trip void

Time cannot e r a s e
    Years
  • DOUBLE ANNOUNCEMENT

1) I added a contestants section to the first post. Know your competition and cower in fear, my pretties.

2) DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRIES IN THE FF SECTION! After talking to Asty, we have agreed to start a thread in the Writers Lounge where I will post all of the entries. Astinus has already agreed to keep the thread stickied for a month or two, so don't worry about people never seeing it. You wanted an honorable mention, you've got it.

OMG THATS AWESOME!

So lime will be on display?

:DD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Thanks Asti, Gumy and Bay, I can't wait to read everyone elses. Also would adscussion thread accompany the sticky too, so as for all posts and fics to get muddled. I suppose it could be done after too, but an 'author's notes' section might help to clarify things.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • *:badsmile:curses at heavens 'cuz won't be here tomorrow *

Well, about what Feign and Redstar said. A "SWC Compilation Thread" seems a nice idea to me. Or an index thread, but that would require that the other authors have already posted their stories. If the sudden flooding of the PFF&P(&S) is much of an issue, maybe the main one, maybe a sort of compromise can be reached by making instant-use of the Completed Fics section? (Then again, I am bound to be wrong assuming everyone's submission will turn out to be one-shots...)

I'm not sure what's the best protocol to avoid flooding yet allow external reviews in this case so I'll simply trust our local current temporary thematic Trinity, AlfaBetaGamma (Asti&Bay&Gummy) in this one. After all, if the push for reviews is too strong, there's always PMs...

Now, I'll have to disappear for a while so I want to wish the other contestants the second best of lucks (hey, cut me some slack, I'm a contestant too! :cheeky: ), thank the staffers for this nice weekend event, and call of my bet on reviews to save the organizers the shudders... :D

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Oh, that's something I completely forgot to mention. Author's Notes. Anyone who's read one of my fics, especially TFC or TRINITY, knows that I have a tendency to ramble a lot about some of the "development" aspects and how it all came to be, changes made over the course of writing, my inspiration, and so on. I doubt anyone really cares but it just makes me happy to put all that little behind the scenes info in there for those who are that interested in my writing process. There has to be a way for me to get that in...

I suppose one of the reasons I'm somewhat against the compiled thread idea is simply that I am so anal about formatting and presentation and how my writing is posted and everything. I'm a control freak. Take that control away from me and put it in someone else's hands and I'll worry to no end about it being messed up or something when it's posted. I don't see individual threads or wanting them as being arrogant, it's just what I'm comfortable with and it makes me uncomfortable having to go outside what I'm used to. I'll go along with it if I must, I trust Astinus' decisions in these matters, but I just ask that the author be allowed at least some control in how their story is posted.

On another note, I still need to think of a title for this. I have no clue what to use. Using "time" or "insanity" as a base hasn't really lead to much...

Bay

Years
  • solovino, it's supposed to be AlphaBetaGamma, unless that's the way Alpha is spelled where you live. ^^; Nice, though. I love math, so yeah. XD;

I think there's a sorority/fraternity named that at my university. XD;

Anyways, concerning the entries being in one thread idea, I thought about it for some time. I'm also incline to say maybe it's better to have the posters post it on their own instead. Maybe the poster don't want to post their story yet because they want it edited, like how a lot of people at past Serebii contests did. After the results, they would edit the story before posting it. One other thing is I wonder how the reviews will work if all the entries are in one thread instead of separate ones. However, I trust Astinus and Gummy on this if they believe what they're planning now would work.

Last edited:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Okay, after reading your thoughts on the idea, I guess it wouldn't hurt for you guys to post your own threads and get individual help. However, I don't think this means we have to give up on my plan, and this way everyone gets what they want. If you do end up posting a thread, I will simply link to it so all reviews can be directed to said thread. On a side not, deadline in exactly 15 hours.

Years
  • I'll try to send mine during lunch tomorrow. Looks like I'll be doing something other than schoolwork in the morning.
    Let's hope to god I get to finish it, or it won't make sense.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Okay, after reading your thoughts on the idea, I guess it wouldn't hurt for you guys to post your own threads and get individual help. However, I don't think this means we have to give up on my plan, and this way everyone gets what they want. If you do end up posting a thread, I will simply link to it so all reviews can be directed to said thread. On a side not, deadline in exactly 15 hours.

Ohhh so you'd still have the amalgamated contest thread, but if someone wanted to have their own thread for their fic, that instead of c/ping the fic, you'd have a new link to the thread with the fic instead?

Also, should we have [SWC] in front of our fic, for clarification? (for the lone threads I mean)

Bay

Years
  • Ohhh so you'd still have the amalgamated contest thread, but if someone wanted to have their own thread for their fic, that instead of c/ping the fic, you'd have a new link to the thread with the fic instead?

Also, should we have [SWC] in front of our fic, for clarification? (for the lone threads I mean)
    I think that's what Gummy meant, so maybe yeah.

On your second question, I would say go for it.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • On a side not, deadline in exactly 15 hours.

Whoa, wait, really? When you said there were 27 hours left, that would have put the deadline at 10 p.m. my time. If it's really 15 hours from that last post, then that means it ends at 9 p.m. tonight for me. Which is it? An hour can make a lot of difference when you're a procrastinator.

Last edited:
    Back