• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cyan [Beta 3 Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
like with glazed u can get Houndour if u use codebreaker. I ran thru them gym leaders with only it.

anaphysik

Wahahahahawntah~!
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2019
I tried to go into the Snowcrest Gym, and my rival came out, gave a single text box, and then the game just froze up. Disappointing, because I had been really enjoying the hack prior to that.
What ROM version were you using? This isn't happening for me or anyone else.
I had this problem as well. Never had an egg in my party, so that couldn't be affecting it. The third textbox simply wouldn't load about 99% of the time; had to repeatedly load a savestate and hope to get lucky :/. I've really no idea what was causing it, since it did (very rarely) actually load. (To note, the little 'more text' arrow didn't show up. Maybe it does when it works; I wouldn't know, since I only got positive results whilst mashing the A button :P ). Did manage to get through it, so it wasn't game-stopping, but it was crazy weird.

(And yeah, the hack is pretty awesome, and the fakemon are all excellent, but I'm sure you already knew that :P )

---
I would say that I'm actually against using fakemon starters, despite loving the fakemon in the hack; for the starter choice, IMO you really want it to be something that the player knows what they're getting into - and using standard mons (where the looks of the evolutions, the stats, the learnsets, and the general playstyle are all easily known) is pretty good for that. Fakemon work better as wild catches, because you can more freely experiment with them, and if you end up not liking one it's not a big deal. If your starter ends up not being to your liking (frex, if you don't like the visual design of its evolutions), you're either down a strong mon or stuck using one you don't like, AND you're cut off from the other two options (which you might like better). Also, it would create kind of a weird situation, where players starting from beta 3 would have a very different experience from players who started from beta 2 (this is extra important since the two versions are intended to be compatible), as each would be cut off from three mons (and beta 2 players would feel pressured to restart despite the intention of save-continuation).

Some alternate options:
>just make the designs you have in mind for the starters be regular catches
>display the evolutions' sprites alongside the starter sprites, so that at least aesthetically players can see what they're ultimately getting
>have an npc in an early town give away one of the fakemon starters, of the player's choosing - this way, players have both something old to rely on and something new to gamble on; (this option would also be helpful because there aren't a ton of different pokemon available until after the second gym anyway, so players are a bit limited in what they choose to train)
>make all the starters also catchable in the mid-game (which really makes sense for all regional starters anyway, since they are theoretically fairly common pokemon within their region; note that the Johto starters in this hack are explicitly 'imported' and thus it makes sense for them to be event-exclusive) - that way, the initial choice still matters at the very beginning, but players can try out the others later too

Personally, I think a combination of 'gift from early NPC; choose one' and 'can be found in the wild later too' would be a good idea.

---
EDIT: Also, a bugnote: Swinub and Piloswine are genderless in the hack, probably because they replace the genderless Staryu and Starmie. The rival's Swinub, however, does have a gender during your first two encounters with him (his Piloswine in the third encounter is genderless) - I suspect that this is because the Swinub during those two encounters is a different pokemon, with a ??? dex-number like the second Beautifly that got reported, especially because fighting it does not cause it to appear as a 'seen' mon in your pokedex.

EDIT2: More bugs:
>the tile directly left of the entrance to Snowcrest Gym clips over the player sprite; the top-right tile of the nearest tree clips under the player sprite.
>the Snowcrest Gym 'winning trainers' list does not update when you defeat Aurora.
>wild and trainer-owned Piloswine only know Icicle Crash, no other moves. (I'm not sure if they can learn anything via level-up, because I didn't bother checking.)
>AncientPower is miscapitalized as Ancientpower. Ah, the (often unimportant) dangers of decapitalization!
>there seems to be an error with sucker punch; it works against hone claws (when it should fail), and always fails against ice shard (even when the sucker-puncher has higher speed, of course, and thus should succeed).
>tm08 bulk up is missing from Lucario's learnset (in the hack, only Riolu is able to learn it, whereas normally both can).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 73
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Awesome hack, really loving it so far.

Just one question, does Porygon evolve twice into Porygon Z? And if it does is it by level?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 26, 2015
those little trees on your world map are cute as heck. nice work on the world map in general tbh :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
What I mean is this.
PokemonCyanBeta2TirtougaNoAnimationParty_zps03f561a9.gif

Also Tirtouga and I think Archen don't have their own cries.
Fixed. Thanks for letting me know. :)
I love this hack! It looks so amazing <3
is this still active, tho, are there more beta's to come (since its been a while since the last one)? :3
Don't worry, it's still active, just not quite as much progress. ;)
I had this problem as well. Never had an egg in my party, so that couldn't be affecting it. The third textbox simply wouldn't load about 99% of the time; had to repeatedly load a savestate and hope to get lucky :/. I've really no idea what was causing it, since it did (very rarely) actually load. (To note, the little 'more text' arrow didn't show up. Maybe it does when it works; I wouldn't know, since I only got positive results whilst mashing the A button :P ). Did manage to get through it, so it wasn't game-stopping, but it was crazy weird.

(And yeah, the hack is pretty awesome, and the fakemon are all excellent, but I'm sure you already knew that :P )

---
I would say that I'm actually against using fakemon starters, despite loving the fakemon in the hack; for the starter choice, IMO you really want it to be something that the player knows what they're getting into - and using standard mons (where the looks of the evolutions, the stats, the learnsets, and the general playstyle are all easily known) is pretty good for that. Fakemon work better as wild catches, because you can more freely experiment with them, and if you end up not liking one it's not a big deal. If your starter ends up not being to your liking (frex, if you don't like the visual design of its evolutions), you're either down a strong mon or stuck using one you don't like, AND you're cut off from the other two options (which you might like better). Also, it would create kind of a weird situation, where players starting from beta 3 would have a very different experience from players who started from beta 2 (this is extra important since the two versions are intended to be compatible), as each would be cut off from three mons (and beta 2 players would feel pressured to restart despite the intention of save-continuation).

Some alternate options:
>just make the designs you have in mind for the starters be regular catches
>display the evolutions' sprites alongside the starter sprites, so that at least aesthetically players can see what they're ultimately getting
>have an npc in an early town give away one of the fakemon starters, of the player's choosing - this way, players have both something old to rely on and something new to gamble on; (this option would also be helpful because there aren't a ton of different pokemon available until after the second gym anyway, so players are a bit limited in what they choose to train)
>make all the starters also catchable in the mid-game (which really makes sense for all regional starters anyway, since they are theoretically fairly common pokemon within their region; note that the Johto starters in this hack are explicitly 'imported' and thus it makes sense for them to be event-exclusive) - that way, the initial choice still matters at the very beginning, but players can try out the others later too

Personally, I think a combination of 'gift from early NPC; choose one' and 'can be found in the wild later too' would be a good idea.

---
EDIT: Also, a bugnote: Swinub and Piloswine are genderless in the hack, probably because they replace the genderless Staryu and Starmie. The rival's Swinub, however, does have a gender during your first two encounters with him (his Piloswine in the third encounter is genderless) - I suspect that this is because the Swinub during those two encounters is a different pokemon, with a ??? dex-number like the second Beautifly that got reported, especially because fighting it does not cause it to appear as a 'seen' mon in your pokedex.

EDIT2: More bugs:
>the tile directly left of the entrance to Snowcrest Gym clips over the player sprite; the top-right tile of the nearest tree clips under the player sprite.
>the Snowcrest Gym 'winning trainers' list does not update when you defeat Aurora.
>wild and trainer-owned Piloswine only know Icicle Crash, no other moves. (I'm not sure if they can learn anything via level-up, because I didn't bother checking.)
>AncientPower is miscapitalized as Ancientpower. Ah, the (often unimportant) dangers of decapitalization!
>there seems to be an error with sucker punch; it works against hone claws (when it should fail), and always fails against ice shard (even when the sucker-puncher has higher speed, of course, and thus should succeed).
>tm08 bulk up is missing from Lucario's learnset (in the hack, only Riolu is able to learn it, whereas normally both can).
I've already told you but thanks for the huge bug report! It really helps me out and thanks to you most of these bugs (including the rival battle one) are now fixed.
Awesome hack, really loving it so far.

Just one question, does Porygon evolve twice into Porygon Z? And if it does is it by level?
Porygon evolves into Porygon2 at level 25, then again into Porygon-Z at 40. Hope this helps. :)

-------------------

First update in a while but this is an important one. After 2 years in development Cyan finally has a new hero, thanks to reshilegend!

ev213UR.png

Of course the design might change in the future but this is an early preview of what it's going to look like. Any feedback is welcome, the design isn't final so let me know if you have any suggestions for it. :)

Dxys

Pkmn. Trainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 30, 2014
Fixed. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Don't worry, it's still active, just not quite as much progress. ;)

I've already told you but thanks for the huge bug report! It really helps me out and thanks to you most of these bugs (including the rival battle one) are now fixed.

Porygon evolves into Porygon2 at level 25, then again into Porygon-Z at 40. Hope this helps. :)

-------------------

First update in a while but this is an important one. After 2 years in development Cyan finally has a new hero, thanks to reshilegend!

ev213UR.png

Of course the design might change in the future but this is an early preview of what it's going to look like. Any feedback is welcome, the design isn't final so let me know if you have any suggestions for it. :)

I gotta see that as a trainer sprite.

RidingAWalrus

I have a Walrien on every team <3 including my com
Years
Well, this hack is amazing. Fakemon don't look horrible and tiles are great. The only quarrels I have with it is its not to challenging, and my game freezes every now and then when I'm fishing. Anyways keep up the excellent work, and I'm very excited for the final product!! :)

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Not sure if reported or fixed.
eh_by_glitchdoodles-d7xes5f.png

This happens in the second town.
The tree's with up ledges behind them seem to be walkable. All the way to the border blocks.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Well, this hack is amazing. Fakemon don't look horrible and tiles are great. The only quarrels I have with it is its not to challenging, and my game freezes every now and then when I'm fishing. Anyways keep up the excellent work, and I'm very excited for the final product!! :)
Thanks! I tried to make it a bit more challenging than the official games, not sure what's causing your fishing problem though. Does the freezing happen everywhere or just in that specific map?
Not sure if reported or fixed.
eh_by_glitchdoodles-d7xes5f.png

This happens in the second town.
The tree's with up ledges behind them seem to be walkable. All the way to the border blocks.
Just fixed that one now, nice catch.
I finally got around to playing this, and it was so good, I nominated it for HotY! :D
Thanks for the nomination, glad you enjoyed it. :)

I've been doing some further work on that team rocket event I showed off a while ago:
J602Lgx.png
lQ8P8GW.png

Can anyone guess the house the team rocket members are hiding in? It should be fairly obvious if you've played beta 2. :P

Also, I've been mapping the ocean routes to the south of Aquamarine city, and I just finished making the surfing sprites for the hero:
15rGFa1.png

I'll have some more substantial updates ready soon!

ButteryButters

Poketuber
Years
Hey, I was intrigued by this ROM so I decided to try it and within the first 5 minutes I just knew this was going to be good so I started recording it, I have 24 minutes done so far. I am recording for bug finding purposes but also to showcase :P

Not sure when I will upload the videos but I will leave them unlisted and PM you the link to them before I set them scheduled for my Youtube channel. I am planning on taking a trip to see family in November so I might release them publicly then or maybe start them this weekend as a weekend series, haven't decided yet but I am leaning on the weekend.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hello and good day~ ^^

I am not sure if this has been reported but...
1zp62kk.jpg

There's a wrong tile movement permission on the tile where my hero is facing. ;)

And I'm just going to show my team after beating the first gym. ^_^

Spoiler:

edit...
Also, I found a 'fusion' bug. ^_^

1tkdqd.jpg
2wedq3k.jpg

Tahdah~!

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
This looks really good, i look foward to downloading this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back