• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon Direct - 04/09/2013!

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Honestly, this news makes me so excited. I love Mega Blastoise (I love regular Blastoise as well, and him getting a Mega is just insurance that he'll be on my team). It also makes me seriously hope that all of the starters from each generation will be getting Megas.

Seriously. I want that. It would only be fair of them, to be honest. I originally thought only Blaziken was getting a Mega because Nintendo/Gamefreak had some sort of hard on for that particular Pokémon, but this news makes me think they'll be going down each successive trio and giving them Megas.

Think about how cool it'd be to have Mega Typhlosion, Mega Feraligatr, or Mega Torterra.

Years
  • Gen 5 to Gen 6 wasn't going to be the same as Gen 4 to Gen 5. Gen 6 games cannot directly interact with Gen 5 games due to another format change in the actual game cards. Very similar to Gen 3's complete system change. They need a way to keep the server to hold the bank up so the fans have to pay around $5. Its not that bad of a thing. Nintendo has nothing to do with it other than they designed the game cards which are causing the problem. This is all under Gamefreak and Pokemon which are two independent companies that work under Nintendo.

that might have been a good excuse back in 2002, but not now, the technology is improved enough that there are enough easy means to make 3DS and DS cards interact. still think they should have allowed you to migrate pokemon for free.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Looks like this pokemon is the one from the anime preview. It looks like it has a question mark on its chest. Perhaps an enigma pokemon?

lWnAidz.jpg

That's a good observation! It matches up with the colour and figure in the anime, you could just be onto something..

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    ....... Good lord why. Now most people wont even use the Kalos Region starters.
    Pretty bold and stupid statement. Care to explain?

I'm assuming you're worried about people who grew up with gen 1 and never played a Pokemon game after. These "genwunners" (this term needs to die, it's stupid as hell and pathetic.) people like to mention won't even buy the games, so they wouldn't have even used the X/Y starters to begin with.

And then, what? What's to worry about? X/Y starters so far have received positive reception (better than gen 5's starters which were awful) and everyone is keen on using them. Even me, who normally doesn't use starters, plan on using Froakie. And this is coupled with the fact that nobody knows their evolution, and hopefully won't before the game's launch, so it's gonna give people the motivation to actually use them even if it's only because of the curious factor about what it'll evolve to.

Using a kanto starter won't suddenly take away the privilege to use the X/Y starters, they're giving you MORE options, and a free ticket to an OP team in fact. I guarantee you pretty much most people will use an X/Y starter AND a kanto starter as it will provide their team two amazing powerhouses that can singlehandedly breeze through the whole game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Although, I do think its a bit suspect that they didn't give Mega Blastoise a secondary typing or convert Charizard into a Fire/Dragon type.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • that might have been a good excuse back in 2002, but not now, the technology is improved enough that there are enough easy means to make 3DS and DS cards interact. still think they should have allowed you to migrate pokemon for free.
    I heard it was due to the different Wi-Fi configurations...so the Gen V method wouldn't work. And of course the Gen IV method wouldn't work either as XY can't be played on the DS...so one needs a middle man or rather program to be able to transfer them.

Pretty bold and stupid statement. Care to explain?

I'm assuming you're worried about people who grew up with gen 1 and never played a Pokemon game after. These "genwunners" (this term needs to die, it's stupid as hell and pathetic.) people like to mention won't even buy the games, so they wouldn't have even used the X/Y starters to begin with.

And then, what? What's to worry about? X/Y starters so far have received positive reception (better than gen 5's starters which were awful) and everyone is keen on using them. Even me, who normally doesn't use starters, plan on using Froakie. And this is coupled with the fact that nobody knows their evolution, and hopefully won't before the game's launch, so it's gonna give people the motivation to actually use them even if it's only because of the curious factor about what it'll evolve to.

Using a kanto starter won't suddenly take away the privilege to use the X/Y starters, they're giving you MORE options, and a free ticket to an OP team in fact. I guarantee you pretty much most people will use an X/Y starter AND a kanto starter as it will provide their team two amazing powerhouses that can singlehandedly breeze through the whole game.
    Heck I'm using both a Kalos starter (Fennekin), a Kanto starter (tbd), and a Hoenn starter (obviously Torchic as I don't have a choice...may have picked it too if I did xD) on my team :).

Last edited:
    Years
  • I heard it was due to the different Wi-Fi configurations...so the Gen V method wouldn't work. And of course the Gen IV method wouldn't work either as XY can't be played on the DS...so one needs a middle man or rather program to be able to transfer them.

the 3DS still internally has DS architecture/emulation in it to allow data transfer in DS games. why couldnt they just rig it up to do a low running DS transfer and convert it to 3DS data or something like that for those who dont want to pay for something that used to be part of the full package?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I also need to mention that so far these are my favorite Mega Evolutions...with the exception of Mega Knagaskhan of course.
    Heck I'm using both a Kalos starter (Fennekin), a Kanto starter (tbd), and a Hoenn starter (obviously Torchic as I don't have a choice...may have picked it too if I did xD) on my team :).
    Yeah I'm currently thinking of using Froakie and Bulbasaur but I don't like planning ahead of playing the game as I like to start fresh. I also tend to make changes to the team as my playthrough progresses, and this is gonna be extreme I reckon as I don't know what kind of Pokemon I could expect. Not using guides either! Fresh playthroughs are the best.

Also are some people here seriously defending the annual fee extra Pokemon box? Fortunately they're optional and I don't normally fill all boxes otherwise I'd be super pissed and start calling out on some ********.

EDIT: Transferring doesn't require a fee, by the way. As far as I know anyway.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I want to try and use as many Kalos Pokémon on my team possible, but it's difficult when these tempting cross-regional starters are being offered to us! I think I'll dodge using the Torchic and wait for RS Remakes to use one (Hopefully!) and as I've said my team will probably primarily consist of Kalos Pokémon but I may be pushed towards using either Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • Too bad Charizard doesn't turn part dragon type so it's still 4x weak against SR. Meaning it'll be inferior to Ninetails if we're talking about weather starters here.( Both have Drought now) Still, Charizard looks pretty badass regardless.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • the 3DS still internally has DS architecture/emulation in it to allow data transfer in DS games. why couldnt they just rig it up to do a low running DS transfer and convert it to 3DS data or something like that for those who dont want to pay for something that used to be part of the full package?
    I'm guessing they had limitations...if so then I guess Nintendo haters may have a point when they say Nintendo's products aren't up to speed (that's a kind phrasing of what I usually hear)...at least on this one if that is the reason why.

Also note that Nintendo and Gf aren't entititled to allow us to transfer our old mon's...we could've ended up with a Gen III scenario...this is better than what could've been...at least for me. (of course psychologically this scenario is proably worse than not having no transfer at all as one who doesn't get the Pokebank will feel bad about not being able to transfer their old mons...even though a method to do so exists...it's a debacle that's for sure).

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I want to try and use as many Kalos Pokémon on my team possible, but it's difficult when these tempting cross-regional starters are being offered to us! I think I'll dodge using the Torchic and wait for RS Remakes to use one (Hopefully!) and as I've said my team will probably primarily consist of Kalos Pokémon but I may be pushed towards using either Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle.

You know, you could just get the Torchic, but then choose not to have it on your team. Just deposit it in a box and save it for later.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    Genwunner compensation? XD

Eh...I'm probably the only one that doesn't think it looks like Absol. Looks like an Alpaca or Llama to me...I'd shoot for a new Normal Type.

When I first saw it quickly I was like "Absol needs a haircut?".. But yeah after looking at it for like 20 seconds it's quite obvious it has nothing to do with Absol... lol

rageahollic33

Roserade is the best
    Years
  • I'm guessing if you choose the starter from your friend you get the kanto starter that is weaker than the kalos starter. for example Froakie and charmander , Fenniken and Bulbasaur , and chespin and Squirtle. if that is so then i'll pick chespin because blastoise is my favorite starter pokemon.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    That doesn't mean its early in the game. I mean its another Pokemon you may not have and you could have a team of 6 with you by the time you get to him as you don't meet him until after the first Gym's city. You usually can't progress further until you've beaten the first Gym so if he's after the first gym you could have a pretty good team before he gives it to you. He's basically saying take this too which he could say after giving you the National Pokedex to give you your first Pokemon for the National Dex.

So it really doesn't make sense after the National Dex or after the first badge if you think about it that way, but it could have other meanings like giving you your first National Dex Entry as an additional Pokemon.

As for Pokedex...the current one is known as the Kalos Dex. Since its got the region's name its a regional Pokedex and a National will be when the other region dexes are added in.

Good point, didn't think of that... I do hope it's earlier, as a lot of times I don't use gift Pokemon I get later on. I'd like to be able to use Charmander all the way through!

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    the 3DS still internally has DS architecture/emulation in it to allow data transfer in DS games. why couldnt they just rig it up to do a low running DS transfer and convert it to 3DS data or something like that for those who dont want to pay for something that used to be part of the full package?

Because it's not their responsibility to give you everything you want for free all the time.

And whether everyone wants to accept it or not, they are not able to run the servers this new functionality will require at zero cost. TPC is a business, not a charity. Yes we already pay for the games, but they could have these games out for years without any of us buying anything new, and all of us using the Bank for free. At that point, they could be making a lot less profit over time, which could negatively impact TPC and the next Pokemon games.

It's $5 a year, people. I'm sure you go to the mall once a year and can grab an e-Shop gift card there.

I'm guessing if you choose the starter from your friend you get the kanto starter that is weaker than the kalos starter. for example Froakie and charmander , Fenniken and Bulbasaur , and chespin and Squirtle. if that is so then i'll pick chespin because blastoise is my favorite starter pokemon.

No. There is clearly a choice being made in the screenshots / video.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    My thoughts/hopes on the new Pokémon: its a pure Ice, Ice/Normal, or Ice/Fairy Llama Pokémon.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Also are some people here seriously defending the annual fee extra Pokemon box? Fortunately they're optional and I don't normally fill all boxes otherwise I'd be super pissed and start calling out on some ********.

EDIT: Transferring doesn't require a fee, by the way. As far as I know anyway.

To me, it makes sense that a very low fee would be required for them to have server space & maintain it through future games. I mean, there are TONS of cloud storage servers that require fees, cloud storage costs to maintain... I think the fee is supposedly around $5 USD per year... that's doable even for me, and I'm pretty broke.

Years
  • Because it's not their responsibility to give you everything you want for free all the time.

And whether everyone wants to accept it or not, they are not able to run the servers this new functionality will require at zero cost. TPC is a business, not a charity. Yes we already pay for the games, but they could have these games out for years without any of us buying anything new, and all of us using the Bank for free. At that point, they could be making a lot less profit over time, which could negatively impact TPC and the next Pokemon games.

It's $5 a year, people. I'm sure you go to the mall once a year and can grab an e-Shop gift card there.

I dont live somewhere where I can just go and spend $5 as easily as you guys for something like this. true, they arent entitled to give it to us for free, but it is an expectation, and its seems to be an excuse for nickel and diming us. I DON'T have a problem with the pokemon bank aspect, just the cross gen transfer.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • My thoughts/hopes on the new Pokémon: its a pure Ice, Ice/Normal, or Ice/Fairy Llama Pokémon.

I'm thinking pure Normal. It looks like a plain llama with white fur, so I'd imagine it would be normal, like Zangoose. It could also be Fairy, but it doesn't have the Fairyesque colors/traits.

Back