• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon Direct - 04/09/2013!

Years
  • So the original starters' Mega Evolutions have been revealed. To tell the truth, I'm still not convinced on the Mega Evolutions anyway. They seem kind of... I don't know, pointless? Either way, it's nice that we're getting them from the Professor this time around.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    No, on September 27th the Red and Blue 3DS XL will be released and available for purchase.

From what we were told it doesn't look like you'll be getting the game with the 3DS in the US or UK, which is why I wouldn't call this a bundle. Only in Japan do they seem to have this bundle deal available.

I was waiting to preorder to see if we got the same bundles as Japan... guess not. I'm so disappointed that the beautiful gold console isn't available in the US, I loved it! I'm not a huge fan of the red/blue ones. Oh well, guess I'll be preordering my copy of X today!

I'm both psyched and overwhelmed at the announcement of Kanto starters! I can haz a Charmander to start with? But then... I feel like I shouldn't pick Fennekin as my Kalos starter, for the sake of a balanced team... but I don't like the other starters as much. Then of course there is the gift Torchic, which would mean that I'd have 3 fire types right off the bat if I picked what I wanted... SO much to think about now!

Not sure how I feel yet about the cloud storage, and the potential lack of in-game storage. What if you are playing in an area where you don't have internet connectivity? If you're forced to store your Pokemon in the cloud, you'll have to wait for an internet connection in order to retrieve them. If there's adequate in-game storage, I won't mind, though. And honestly, for a small fee I wouldn't even mind paying for the transfer feature. It looks like maybe you can transfer an entire box at a time? Such a huge improvement!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Even though Nintendo Direct mentioned that you get a Kanto starter from Sycamore in Lumiose, I think you get one post-National Dex, as opposed to the main story. Nevertheless, I was still surprised that the Kanto starters gained Mega-Evos. I'm warming up to the designs (more in the Kanto Mega-Evo thread)

Edit: nevermind; didn't see that Sycamore gives a starter to you pre-National Dex.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • This generation has the coolest Fire starters of the series...so of course it's hard to decide...My team will have Torchic, and Fennekin, and maybe Charmander (can't seem to decide yet >_<)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    The official site makes it sound as if the Kanto starters will be able to naturally learn their elemental hyper beams, mentioning all three moves and saying they're some of the few that can learn them. That or the starters will be able to learn their signature moves early on by move tutor...or it's just GF...

They kinda always do that when the Elemental Hyperbeams are mentioned. I never really read too much into it when I know the moves have restrictions to be learned. Maybe there'll be a way to get them on there but with them needing to be level 36 its most likely not until 5th gym or further.

So like everything...its just GF.

Even though Nintendo Direct mentioned that you get a Kanto starter from Sycamore in Lumiose, I think you get one post-National Dex, as opposed to the main story. Nevertheless, I was still surprised that the Kanto starters gained Mega-Evos. I'm warming up to the designs (more in the Kanto Mega-Evo thread)

Edit: nevermind; didn't see that Sycamore gives a starter to you pre-National Dex.

Link please to where is says officially that we get them Pre-National Dex. I cannot find anything about that anywhere.

Years
  • Even though Nintendo Direct mentioned that you get a Kanto starter from Sycamore in Lumiose, I think you get one post-National Dex, as opposed to the main story. Nevertheless, I was still surprised that the Kanto starters gained Mega-Evos. I'm warming up to the designs (more in the Kanto Mega-Evo thread)
    According to the European branch's tweet we'll getting the Kanto starter early...
    I'm guessing by the third city or third gym city.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    I think the Kanto starters getting mega evolutions, basically confirms every other starter getting them. Definitely going to use Squirtle as soon as I get it. Considering that i'm getting Fennekin it doesn't really matter. I sure as hell hope that we get them early on, because I don't like training starters that are like level 20. It takes the point out of it, if you're getting them quite late on in the game. It is why I never used gen 1 or 3 starters in Hg.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    This generation has the coolest Fire starters of the series...so of course it's hard to decide...My team will have Torchic, and Fennekin, and maybe Charmander (can't seem to decide yet >_<)

Why not all three? Drought Charizard sets up for Fire Types.

According to the European branch's tweet we'll getting the Kanto starter early...
    I'm guessing by the third city or third gym city.

That could be a typo or misinterpretation seeing as the TPC one doesn't confirm it.

Though I'm sure if we ask, they will give us the standard reply which would only confuse me more. Some of them purposefully leave out when its available while another says its available at this point. TPC > Nintendo as far as the games are concerned so until TPC says they are early its a bad translation by Nintendo's employee in charge of updating twitter.

Years
  • Why not all three? Drought Charizard sets up for Fire Types.

That could be a typo or misinterpretation seeing as the TPC one doesn't confirm it.

Though I'm sure if we ask, they will give us the standard reply which would only confuse me more. Some of them purposefully leave out when its available while another says its available at this point. TPC > Nintendo as far as the games are concerned so until TPC says they are early its a bad translation by Nintendo's employee in charge of updating twitter.
    Good point...plus I picked Bulbasaur for Gen III (Fr), and Squirtle for my post game Kanto starter in Gen IV (Ss)...so maybe I will get Charmande since I'm practically going to be running a fire team xD.

While I don't think it's typo it is a possibility to consider...

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • MegaCharizard looks MEGAWESOME. Instant love. <3 MegaBlastoise looks really awesome too, but MegaVenusaur kinda....looks the same. All of them are great nonetheless. Pokemon Bank is certainly a useful and convenient feature for avid Pokemon collectors; and although I won't likely be using it, I strongly support it. Also, I'm really excited to be able to receive a Kanto starter from the Professor! I'm definitely going to be taking either Charmander or Squirtle.

Overall, I'm super psyched for the new Pokemon X & Y!! There's so much to look forward to and I'm sure that I won't be disappointed. I'm definitely getting my hands on them the moment I get my 3DS! That red X & Y special edition one agrees with me haha. :D

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • So, I would like one thing clear because I don't want to watch the whole thing again: You can use one new starter Pokemon (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie), AND one starter Pokemon from the 1st generation (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), is that correct? Or do you have to choose one of the six? I understood that you can choose both which is kinda weird because starting with TWO starter pokemon sounds so amazing but it's breaking tradition man!

TPC is pulling my legs again. Now I'm undecided on a starter. :(

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Link please to where is says officially that we get them Pre-National Dex. I cannot find anything about that anywhere.

I don't have a link, but in the trailer, it looks like Sycamore is saying something like, "It's a great idea to take another Pokemon with you!" To me that implies that it's pretty early on in the journey... if you don't get a Kanto starter until after the National Dex, that phrase wouldn't make much sense, I don't think.

Is there for sure the same pre/post National Dex split as the other games? I didn't see any info on that before!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Good point...plus I picked Bulbasaur for Gen III (Fr), and Squirtle for my post game Kanto starter in Gen IV (Ss)...so maybe I will get Charmande since I'm practically going to be running a fire team xD.

While I don't think it's typo it is a possibility to consider...

Nintendo of America's twitter guy is lazy...he retweeted TPC's A trio of Pokemon return as Megas. So that doesn't help much that two different Nintendos are saying two different things and not confirming each other by posting similar things.

Years
  • So, I would like one thing clear because I don't want to watch the whole thing again: You can use one new starter Pokemon (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie), AND one starter Pokemon from the 1st generation (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), is that correct? Or do you have to choose one of the six? I understood that you can choose both which is kinda weird because starting with TWO starter pokemon sounds so amazing but it's breaking tradition man!

Welcome to the club of undecided fans...

You can get one of each batch. Sycamore gives you the Kanto one. We aren't sure exactly how early in the game though...

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I think the Kanto starters getting mega evolutions, basically confirms every other starter getting them. .

At this point I don't think it could be more unfair to the other starters, especially Treecko and Mudkip.

Looks like I'll be getting three starters for this game before I even beat it... Froakie, Torchic, and Bulbasaur sound like a pretty good mix of starters for my team, but I'd rather stick to Froakie and save the others for post game. I wonder what will happen with the Gen. 2 and 4 starters?

Years
  • At this point I don't think it could be more unfair to the other starters, especially Treecko and Mudkip.

Looks like I'll be getting three starters for this game before I even beat it... Froakie, Torchic, and Bulbasaur sound like a pretty good mix of starters for my team, but I'd rather stick to Froakie and save the others for post game. I wonder what will happen with the Gen. 2 and 4 starters?
    And Gen 5, don't forget about them...they aren't in the game either.

Maybe they'll do events for the rest of the Hoenn starters and then go on to the other three sets on in the games...

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't have a link, but in the trailer, it looks like Sycamore is saying something like, "It's a great idea to take another Pokemon with you!" To me that implies that it's pretty early on in the journey... if you don't get a Kanto starter until after the National Dex, that phrase wouldn't make much sense, I don't think.

Is there for sure the same pre/post National Dex split as the other games? I didn't see any info on that before!

That doesn't mean its early in the game. I mean its another Pokemon you may not have and you could have a team of 6 with you by the time you get to him as you don't meet him until after the first Gym's city. You usually can't progress further until you've beaten the first Gym so if he's after the first gym you could have a pretty good team before he gives it to you. He's basically saying take this too which he could say after giving you the National Pokedex to give you your first Pokemon for the National Dex.

So it really doesn't make sense after the National Dex or after the first badge if you think about it that way, but it could have other meanings like giving you your first National Dex Entry as an additional Pokemon.

As for Pokedex...the current one is known as the Kalos Dex. Since its got the region's name its a regional Pokedex and a National will be when the other region dexes are added in.

So, I would like one thing clear because I don't want to watch the whole thing again: You can use one new starter Pokemon (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie), AND one starter Pokemon from the 1st generation (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), is that correct? Or do you have to choose one of the six? I understood that you can choose both which is kinda weird because starting with TWO starter pokemon sounds so amazing but it's breaking tradition man!

Even if its early in the game...its likely to be after the first badge so you don't "Start" with two starters.

I usually have a full team by the time I get to the first Badge just in case....Don't know if there will be a badge after the first and before Lumoise since we don't know the city order. So its a freebie, but not really a second Starting Pokemon in this case.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • And Gen 5, don't forget about them...they aren't in the game either.

Lol I'm losing track of all the Gens.

Maybe they'll do events for the rest of the Hoenn starters and then go on to the other three sets on in the games...

Or maybe we'll get remakes :P

That seems like a lot of events. I'm thinking Gen. 5 starters could get an -ite stone from Pokémon Transfer (whatever that new app is called), kind of like the Therian Forms of the Kami trio from that other app (which I also forget its name).

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2014
    Well ****. The available stores where i can buy points to get the e-shop currency to pay for the Bank are really far from where i live. It's not expensive, sure but my parents won't take me there to buy a virtual bank to transfer virtual data. So, if i can't get any money on the e-shop i won't be able to transfer my pokemon to x and y AND i know nobody who owns a 3DS to infra-red transfer them.

All i wanted was a free app just to transfer the only 20-60 i cared and needed.

Back