• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Dreary [100% Complete, 1/28/2019] (v1.4, 3/26/2019)

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
I decided to try a new emulator, it must be something wrong with the MyBoy emulator I have

Hmm that may be the case. I use VisualBoyAdvance, and I've never tested with any other emulator. I'll try downloading MyBoy and prodding a few scripts to see if I can replicate the issue and fix it.

Years
Hi there, I ended your game ', the end is very weird and also I encountered a bug before Victory Road because Giovanni didn't move when I tried to reach May and Brendan so I walk-through walls. It' s weird to die at the end. Also there is a bug, your game can sometimes crash when Abra teleports you when you are caught by policemen in the secret laboratory. Sadly I cannot help Palkia to defeat Darkrai and why Aphrodite died?

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Hi there, I ended your game ', the end is very weird and also I encountered a bug before Victory Road because Giovanni didn't move when I tried to reach May and Brendan so I walk-through walls. It' s weird to die at the end. Also there is a bug, your game can sometimes crash when Abra teleports you when you are caught by policemen in the secret laboratory. Sadly I cannot help Palkia to defeat Darkrai and why Aphrodite died?

Hi there. Yes, the bug where Giovanni doesn't disappear has been fixed in the latest v1.2 patch. Thanks for taking that into your own hands, though. :)

Hmm, I haven't heard of the crash in the laboratory. Could you elaborate on what happened? Did the game just freeze after teleporting, or something else? Thanks for the report!

The ending is pretty weird, which is exactly how it's supposed to be! It is a Dreary game after all. With regards to Aphrodite:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 23, 2019
Hey, I'm just done playing the entire game. I really loved the storyline and the concept of the game.
I got a couple of questions though:
1. High Jump Kick has an accuracy of just 10! The move is pretty much useless. Was this super low accuracy intentional?
2. The ending leaves a really good mystery as to what will happen next. So, will there be a sequel to this game anytime in the future?

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Hey, I'm just done playing the entire game. I really loved the storyline and the concept of the game.
I got a couple of questions though:
1. High Jump Kick has an accuracy of just 10! The move is pretty much useless. Was this super low accuracy intentional?
2. The ending leaves a really good mystery as to what will happen next. So, will there be a sequel to this game anytime in the future?

Hey, I'm glad you liked it :)

1. I didn't notice that, it will be fixed in the next patch. Thanks so much for the report!
2. That was the goal for how I wanted it to feel. :) It'll either be left to speculation, or pave the way for a sequel, I'm not sure yet.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
I've uploaded v1.3 to correct for some bugs and glitches.

NOTICE: v1.3 is supposed to fix the "black screen" glitch after speaking to the Pokémon in the Power Plant.
This glitch seemed to be exclusive to the MyBoy emulator. Since I don't have an Android device, I can't test it.
If you're playing on MyBoy and the glitch IS or IS NOT fixed with v1.3, PLEASE let me know!
If it IS fixed, you will trigger this event:

Spoiler:

MyBoy is acting strange, so any feedback I could get on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Years
No offense, but the ending is just...not very good. Hell, I answered "no" when he asked if I wanted to look at the grave and it still forced me into it. It's not that I have an issue with the dark tone of it, but it's just pointless and "realistic" for the sake of it. Unless this is somehow leading up to a sequel that this ending is actually important to, it's a super uninteresting ending. To start with, I had zero interest in Dreary himself at that point since he had literally just been shoved into the storyline. The game basically ended off with Darkrai giving an insanely long exposition dump before Dreary anticlimactically kills the main character.

You want to call it "realistic" and leave it at that? Fine man, I mean it's your game so you can do whatever you want. But in terms of ROM hack endings, the Unknown Tower was honestly one of the most bland I've personally played. I mean come on, at least five levels of grinding for each member of my party, a few battles, more than one massive info dump, a few visually and thematically bland puzzles, and a super low level Mew? It really feels like you could've done more.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 10, 2019
Hey, I can't get the policeman in front of the first gym to move, so I can't talk to Evan. What do I do?

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
No offense, but the ending is just...not very good. Hell, I answered "no" when he asked if I wanted to look at the grave and it still forced me into it. It's not that I have an issue with the dark tone of it, but it's just pointless and "realistic" for the sake of it. Unless this is somehow leading up to a sequel that this ending is actually important to, it's a super uninteresting ending. To start with, I had zero interest in Dreary himself at that point since he had literally just been shoved into the storyline. The game basically ended off with Darkrai giving an insanely long exposition dump before Dreary anticlimactically kills the main character.

You want to call it "realistic" and leave it at that? Fine man, I mean it's your game so you can do whatever you want. But in terms of ROM hack endings, the Unknown Tower was honestly one of the most bland I've personally played. I mean come on, at least five levels of grinding for each member of my party, a few battles, more than one massive info dump, a few visually and thematically bland puzzles, and a super low level Mew? It really feels like you could've done more.

Fair enough! Yep, the ending is totally a fullstop on the momentum, however the primary point was to show how authoritarian and driven Dreary was as a person. Typically in Pokemon games, you're able to discourage villains just by beating them in a battle. Although, if you're confronting a literal tyrant who's passion is killing people for the sake of realizing his dreams, it wouldn't make much sense to dismantle their plans based on "who's got the better mons." You mentioned creating this ending simply for being "realistic," and yeah that was pretty much the case! xD After all, the point of the game was just to showcase a short series of daydreams that I had a while back for some reason. I also tried to weave the ending text so that it was open to a sequel in the future, if that would ever happen. :)

Hmm I haven't heard those comments on Unknown Tower yet. I didn't feel the need to grind that much in the Tower (maybe 3-4 levels overall), so I'll keep that in mind. The Mew was Aphrodite's mon, and is a little underleveled in order to compensate for fighting the team of five beforehand without being able to heal. Do you think it would be better to adjust that final battle?

tyrone2538 said:
Hey, I can't get the policeman in front of the first gym to move, so I can't talk to Evan. What do I do?
Hey, the policeman will move once you've talked to your Rival on Route 1.

Years
Fair enough! Yep, the ending is totally a fullstop on the momentum, however the primary point was to show how authoritarian and driven Dreary was as a person. Typically in Pokemon games, you're able to discourage villains just by beating them in a battle. Although, if you're confronting a literal tyrant who's passion is killing people for the sake of realizing his dreams, it wouldn't make much sense to dismantle their plans based on "who's got the better mons." You mentioned creating this ending simply for being "realistic," and yeah that was pretty much the case! xD After all, the point of the game was just to showcase a short series of daydreams that I had a while back for some reason. I also tried to weave the ending text so that it was open to a sequel in the future, if that would ever happen. :)

Hmm I haven't heard those comments on Unknown Tower yet. I didn't feel the need to grind that much in the Tower (maybe 3-4 levels overall), so I'll keep that in mind. The Mew was Aphrodite's mon, and is a little underleveled in order to compensate for fighting the team of five beforehand without being able to heal. Do you think it would be better to adjust that final battle?

Thanks for the fast reply! I suppose I can understand what you wanted to do with Dreary, but I think he could be greatly improved simply with more build up for him. To me he was suddenly inserted into the end. It didn't feel shocking/surprising when it was revealed that Darkrai wasn't the one in charge, mainly because it was just told to me by an admin. Sure I hadn't guessed it before, but the reveal didn't cause a reaction of any sort. Maybe if he got a name drop or appearance earlier it could help. It's harder to do with a shorter game like this, but I think it could happen.

I do agree that it shouldn't simply end by "My mons are better than yours" as usual, although that could be rationalized as well since even one enemy Pokemon left could present a massive threat to an unarmed human(?) like Dreary. If the main character knocks all of the bad guy's Pokemon unconscious but still has mons left themselves, it's not like the bad guy could really fight back anymore against monsters probably capable of killing him in a flash.

The main issue is that at this point the main character has a team of mons that are probably fully evolved, and they just get killed suddenly because I guess they were too stupid and turned their back to him? If a "who's got the better mons" ending is disappointing, then the main character suddenly getting offed by some guy is just as bad.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the game. For something with such a small runtime, I was genuinely intrigued by it all, and I especially liked the start. However unfortunately I felt that near the end, the quality started to dip considerably.

As for the Unknown Tower:

I hate to say it, but yeah, it was pretty dull. I think the grinding could be improved if there were simply more trainers to fight along the way, not just a few grunts on the bottom floor and a few small boss fights back to back. One thing that I value in a Pokemon game/ROM hack is when grinding your main mons is pretty much not a factor. The challenges and trainers along the way should be enough to get me almost there without being over leveled, rather than fighting the same grindable npc over and over again or running through grass for 30 minutes to an hour. New mons that I have to get on par with everyone else is different, but I don't think I should really need to put too much grind time into my earliest mons if I've been appropriately dividing up battle time against trainers.

Hell, put more content in before the final area that gets you up to that level range if you need to.

I know you've already said that this isn't exactly supposed to be the most visually impressive game out there, but this is supposed to be THE final boss stronghold, and yet it pretty much amounts to a lone simple tower without much innovative design to it. The first floor is basic with a few grunts to fight, a nurse, and a grunt meant for repetitive grinding. The rest are the exact same floor repeated a bunch, a big empty room with an elevator, and a pretty much pitch black room. (There's also the research lab but I forgot about that pretty much as soon as I was out since i wasn't really allowed to explore at all.)

Since this game doesn't have anything like the elite four/champion to end off the game, the usual spectacle of the main games is your ending. Spectacles like Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza at the end of gen 3, Spear Pillar and the Distortion World from gen 4, N's Castle from gen 5, etc.

Obviously you don't have some massive production team behind you like gamefreak, but when the final boss stronghold is comparatively unimpressive compared to areas we've already been like the Silph building, it's an issue. I left there feeling underwhelmed, and that's pretty much it. I'd suggest a bigger building with more trainers, a lot more area variation, and more physical puzzles rather than just choosing numbers until you get it. I don't think anyone would mind you taking the time to make it impressive and interesting, because it would improve the quality many times over.

The Final Battle:

I don't think there was too much of an issue with the final team itself, but when you send out a level 25(?) Mew as the last thing the player ever battles in the game, it just feels kinda lame. Any tension or feeling of challenge gets washed away by that. I understand not wanting to make it too hard, but I think most people got out of the Darkrai fight in a good enough condition to fight a decently high level Mew. Maybe not on level with their team, but at least enough to prevent me from two-shotting it with ease.

The Exposition Dumps:

As an aspiring writer, I get how hard it is to tell a lot of story with limited chances while still keeping everything interesting, and that's even harder for you since you can basically only communicate it through dialogue text boxes. But the thing that killed every shred of my enthusiasm about the game was the seemingly endless streams of text boxes after text boxes telling me an in-depth explanation of the backstory of everything. I found myself holding down the speedup button as hard as I possibly could just to get through all of it faster, and I legitimately even skipped some of it because I just couldn't take it.

Since you really have limited options in the ways you can tell the story, I would suggest trying to spread it out more throughout the game instead of trying to shove it down the throat of the player at the very end. Don't be afraid to introduce bits and pieces of it all earlier, I assure you it won't drag anything down. I think that could greatly improve the actual interest and hype for the end.

Sorry about the pretty massive reply, I guess I had more to say than I thought.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 26, 2022
You piece of pie.Good game mate ending kinda threw it for me but i see why ya did it.More realistic evil villain instead of someone who bows before you just cause your pokemon are better.Hope a sequel comes out cause i wanna punch dreary for that XD.Btw all my mons were useless i just ran through it with aerodactly busted mon my dude.

Attachments

• 1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).png
    1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).png
    8.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 10, 2020
Hi Anthroyd!

I just want to let you know that I've found your Pokemon Romhack interesting and have decided to do a let's play on it. I hope you wouldn't mind me doing a let's play on it.

I'll be sure to credit you and put a link to this thread in the video I've made for this game.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
You piece of pie.Good game mate ending kinda threw it for me but i see why ya did it.More realistic evil villain instead of someone who bows before you just cause your pokemon are better.Hope a sequel comes out cause i wanna punch dreary for that XD.Btw all my mons were useless i just ran through it with aerodactly busted mon my dude.

Thanks you piece of pie. Glad you enjoyed it!

ryoutak said:
Hi Anthroyd!

I just want to let you know that I've found your Pokemon Romhack interesting and have decided to do a let's play on it. I hope you wouldn't mind me doing a let's play on it.

I'll be sure to credit you and put a link to this thread in the video I've made for this game.

Go ahead! No need to ask, but thanks for asking. :)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2019
[

Sorry about the pretty massive reply, I guess I had more to say than I thought.[/QUOTE]

I think someone so passionate should make there own rom hack and show us how its done

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
I do agree that it shouldn't simply end by "My mons are better than yours" as usual, although that could be rationalized as well since even one enemy Pokemon left could present a massive threat to an unarmed human(?) like Dreary. If the main character knocks all of the bad guy's Pokemon unconscious but still has mons left themselves, it's not like the bad guy could really fight back anymore against monsters probably capable of killing him in a flash.

The main issue is that at this point the main character has a team of mons that are probably fully evolved, and they just get killed suddenly because I guess they were too stupid and turned their back to him? If a "who's got the better mons" ending is disappointing, then the main character suddenly getting offed by some guy is just as bad.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the game. For something with such a small runtime, I was genuinely intrigued by it all, and I especially liked the start. However unfortunately I felt that near the end, the quality started to dip considerably.

I'm glad you enjoyed the first half or so. :)

You're right, the ending does have some hiccups. The main reason I tried to keep things ambiguous and blocked off exploration to the other floors of the lab (among other things), was 100% in order to pack as much potential into a sequel as possible. I do see that I went a little overboard with the pace of the plot and the text dumps in Unknown Tower, and I'll try to refactor things a little bit.

As for the Unknown Tower:

I hate to say it, but yeah, it was pretty dull. I think the grinding could be improved if there were simply more trainers to fight along the way, not just a few grunts on the bottom floor and a few small boss fights back to back. One thing that I value in a Pokemon game/ROM hack is when grinding your main mons is pretty much not a factor. The challenges and trainers along the way should be enough to get me almost there without being over leveled, rather than fighting the same grindable npc over and over again or running through grass for 30 minutes to an hour. New mons that I have to get on par with everyone else is different, but I don't think I should really need to put too much grind time into my earliest mons if I've been appropriately dividing up battle time against trainers.

Hell, put more content in before the final area that gets you up to that level range if you need to.

I know you've already said that this isn't exactly supposed to be the most visually impressive game out there, but this is supposed to be THE final boss stronghold, and yet it pretty much amounts to a lone simple tower without much innovative design to it. The first floor is basic with a few grunts to fight, a nurse, and a grunt meant for repetitive grinding. The rest are the exact same floor repeated a bunch, a big empty room with an elevator, and a pretty much pitch black room. (There's also the research lab but I forgot about that pretty much as soon as I was out since i wasn't really allowed to explore at all.)

Since this game doesn't have anything like the elite four/champion to end off the game, the usual spectacle of the main games is your ending. Spectacles like Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza at the end of gen 3, Spear Pillar and the Distortion World from gen 4, N's Castle from gen 5, etc.

Obviously you don't have some massive production team behind you like gamefreak, but when the final boss stronghold is comparatively unimpressive compared to areas we've already been like the Silph building, it's an issue. I left there feeling underwhelmed, and that's pretty much it. I'd suggest a bigger building with more trainers, a lot more area variation, and more physical puzzles rather than just choosing numbers until you get it. I don't think anyone would mind you taking the time to make it impressive and interesting, because it would improve the quality many times over.

I could definitely improve the tower, thanks for your suggestions! As for the graphics, my goal was to stay as vanilla as possible in order to reflect the feeling of "I'm actually going through the original Kanto" feeling as much as possible.

The Final Battle:

I don't think there was too much of an issue with the final team itself, but when you send out a level 25(?) Mew as the last thing the player ever battles in the game, it just feels kinda lame. Any tension or feeling of challenge gets washed away by that. I understand not wanting to make it too hard, but I think most people got out of the Darkrai fight in a good enough condition to fight a decently high level Mew. Maybe not on level with their team, but at least enough to prevent me from two-shotting it with ease.

The Exposition Dumps:

As an aspiring writer, I get how hard it is to tell a lot of story with limited chances while still keeping everything interesting, and that's even harder for you since you can basically only communicate it through dialogue text boxes. But the thing that killed every shred of my enthusiasm about the game was the seemingly endless streams of text boxes after text boxes telling me an in-depth explanation of the backstory of everything. I found myself holding down the speedup button as hard as I possibly could just to get through all of it faster, and I legitimately even skipped some of it because I just couldn't take it.

Since you really have limited options in the ways you can tell the story, I would suggest trying to spread it out more throughout the game instead of trying to shove it down the throat of the player at the very end. Don't be afraid to introduce bits and pieces of it all earlier, I assure you it won't drag anything down. I think that could greatly improve the actual interest and hype for the end.

Yep, as I noted at the top of my response, I'll try to refactor at least one text dump that comes to mind. Other than a couple of "dialog separations," I plan to keep most of the text the way it is. I'm actually a huge fan of long stories in ROM hacks, like the ones that the Abras tell you in Unknown Tower. If not for the player, the enjoyment is for myself. ;)

Lv. 25 Mew is actually quite a beast, with Leftovers, some of the most powerful attacks in the game, and Hypnosis. I think you either had an impressive team or you got lucky with that fight to two-shot it! xD
I've seen a couple others manage to defeat Mew pretty quickly though, so perhaps it might be a good idea to try to make that encounter a little more engaging.

Thanks for all of the feedback, I appreciate it!

Crizzle said:
This hack caught my eye. Definitely gonna give it a play.

Hey Crizzle, hope you like it. :)

UPDATE: I recently started adding aftergame content. It shouldn't last longer than 30 minutes, but I'm itching to try to bring the story together a little more with this extra bit. I'll be releasing the aftergame in about a week.​

Last edited:

Hemmo

Hack Lurker
Years
It's clear a lot of effort has gone into this hack but...I just can't bring myself to want to play it.
It's so incredibly story heavy that I found myself constantly trying to skip dialogue as quickly as I could.
To me it just seems like in your attempt to create a convincing story (and it seems like its great), you've forgotten that a lot about Pokemon is exploration, travelling and simplicity.
If you managed to cut some of the dialogue shorter and make the story a little easier to follow, as well as making the areas larger, you'd have a much better game.

I'm not hating on it, there's clearly a lot of effort here! Keep it up!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I just barely turned it on and played through route 1, but I want to say I love the atmosphere. The custom music really sets it apart with one exception that keeps pulling me away and that's the final fantasy victory theme. I love final fantasy, but something so recognizable pulls the player away from your game and back to Cecil, Locke, Cloud, Squall, and Zidane. I hope you put some consideration into maybe changing it, or hopefully at least not using something so recognizable in the sequel. I love the other creative ideas you've put in place, I just wanted to give one man's feedback in hope that you give it consideration for future projects.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
It's clear a lot of effort has gone into this hack but...I just can't bring myself to want to play it.
It's so incredibly story heavy that I found myself constantly trying to skip dialogue as quickly as I could.
To me it just seems like in your attempt to create a convincing story (and it seems like its great), you've forgotten that a lot about Pokemon is exploration, travelling and simplicity.
If you managed to cut some of the dialogue shorter and make the story a little easier to follow, as well as making the areas larger, you'd have a much better game.

I'm not hating on it, there's clearly a lot of effort here! Keep it up!

I love games with heavy story telling, hence Dreary's theme. The plot doesn't warrant much exploration, but I've still allowed for as much openness as I could while still holding onto that "short story" focus.

Other than that, I am working on doing a small amount of dialog refactoring (separating) in the Unknown Tower, which is where I've seen the most complaints about too much reading.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

zestyjam said:
I just barely turned it on and played through route 1, but I want to say I love the atmosphere. The custom music really sets it apart with one exception that keeps pulling me away and that's the final fantasy victory theme. I love final fantasy, but something so recognizable pulls the player away from your game and back to Cecil, Locke, Cloud, Squall, and Zidane. I hope you put some consideration into maybe changing it, or hopefully at least not using something so recognizable in the sequel. I love the other creative ideas you've put in place, I just wanted to give one man's feedback in hope that you give it consideration for future projects.

I'm glad you like the atmosphere, that was pretty tough to get right. :)

Honestly, I've never played Final Fantasy, so I have no connection to its characters or its music. I just like the subtly and simplicity of the victory song, so I decided to use it. I'll keep an eye out for any more comments on the soundtrack, though.

Last edited:
Back