• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Dreary [100% Complete, 1/28/2019] (v1.4, 3/26/2019)

Hanu P

DRAGON GOD<3
Years
Ohk
Ur life is more important than this game.
Wish u good luck to overcome these situations

Hanu P

DRAGON GOD<3
Years
Ur life is more important than this game.
Wish you good luck to overcome these situations.

BTW love ur gba hacking series

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Okay, I promise you'll love this one. I'm trying to patch the IPS file onto a ROM, right? Standard thing, a grade schooler can do it. But, nah. Mine decides to say this "Error: Couldn't open file for reading!" after which is the string for where the file is located. Anyone else come across this, or is it just my machine being big dumb?

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Sparhawk55 said:
Okay, I promise you'll love this one. I'm trying to patch the IPS file onto a ROM, right? Standard thing, a grade schooler can do it. But, nah. Mine decides to say this "Error: Couldn't open file for reading!" after which is the string for where the file is located. Anyone else come across this, or is it just my machine being big dumb?
Sounds like an issue on your end. Make sure you're using a .ips patcher on a FR 1.0 base rom. Make sure you're... using the patcher properly. Like, if it says select an ips file, then do that. If it says select a rom, do that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
I am doing that. It's the only IPS file I've come across that's doing it. Kinda irritating to be honest, cause this game sounds cool.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 3, 2020
I think you may be better suited for a written medium over a game, that may be a better way to get your ideas across without the player feeling like they're reading a novel

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Where do i have to go after taking care of all the stuff in Saffron City? I challenged Sabrina, went up to the meeting on the top floor of Silph Co. and fought Blaine afterwards and the shadowy-figure event as Blaine calls it has also been triggered (i also grabbed the Eevee from the cop on the first floor of the building and Hitmonlee+Hitmonchan from the Dojo). What am i missing here?
Edit (just in case anyone ends up seeing this): I found this one woman on the second floor of the Pokémon Center and talked to her which let me into the one building that was blocked by an officer (the one two buildings away from the Pokémart).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
Where do i have to go after taking care of all the stuff in Saffron City? I challenged Sabrina, went up to the meeting on the top floor of Silph Co. and fought Blaine afterwards and the shadowy-figure event as Blaine calls it has also been triggered (i also grabbed the Eevee from the cop on the first floor of the building and Hitmonlee+Hitmonchan from the Dojo). What am i missing here?
Edit (just in case anyone ends up seeing this): I found this one woman on the second floor of the Pokémon Center and talked to her which let me into the one building that was blocked by an officer (the one two buildings away from the Pokémart).

Go back to the League. You can make it inside Victory Road now.

Years
hmm, i understand you have real life responsibilities,why not hand over the project to someone else? or maybe release a short demo of it

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Pokemon Dreary Review

Score: 8/10
This game seems like it starts off "normally" for Fire Red, waking up in your bed in Palette Town. But when you leave your house, things are clearly not okay. The way you get your first pokemon really drives that point home. This theme continues throughout, hence the name "Dreary".
The game itself is short lived- I played it all in an afternoon, with copious grinding as I tend to do. I didn't use any cheats on this one. The game gave you the resources to succeed, in my opinion- you just had to know where and when. Regardless of how short it was, I found it rather endearing. The story and this situation of mystery and doom really drew me in. I wanted to know what was going on and why. I highly recommend playing this ROMhack, though be warned, there are definitely some… Dreary themes. As the name implies.
SPOILERS AHEAD!
Okay so let's get into the gritty, assuming you plan to play or are playing. Check every single house. Leave no stone unturned. This is where you'll find your supplies, as supplies are limited. Healing and PC usage is severely limited throughout, so you need to play knowing those resources aren't so freely distributed as usual. When you first start, you're going to want to grind. To heal, you have to go back to your home in Palette and sleep in your bed. The pikachu starter you receive I honestly didn't find all that useful with your limited healing opportunities and how weak pikachu is. Bulbasaur's leech seed was a Godsend.
The way to proceed forward isn't always made clear. Talk to everyone and check EVERY nook and cranny. Almost every police officer will fight you, so keep that in mind. Before you enter the Indigo plateau, I recommend picking up a sandshrew in the grass, or fishing up a poliwag. You'll need the type advantage for later. Personally, I found sandshrew quite helpful.
When you arrive at Silph Co., I HIGHLY recommend fighting every single trainer in the building to grind. You'll need it. Again, the only source of healing is the beds found on the upper floors (7 and 8, or 8 and 9 I think?). Don't be afraid to run back and frequently use those. Also for grinding, there's an old man outside Sabrina's gym you can fight infinite amount of times. Highly recommended, because you'll need to fight Sabrina and Blaine, and they aren't pushovers.
Another good grinding spot: victory road. There is a nurse in the second floor down, so use her while you grind up those levels. You'll fight a "rival" at the end, so be prepared. Before talking to Lance, I highly recommend having a strong, healthy team. The area ahead will not be kind.
Inside the unknown tower, the "Rocket" girl to the right on the first floor is your new grinding station. Again, you'll need her. As a bonus, she gives you money, so you can grind against her and use that money to stock up on revives and super potions from the guy outside to the right of the tower. Don't bother buying ultra balls or ethers. This is the final stage, and you'll keep access to your nurse joy on the first floor. Hardly any pokemon to catch from here, and you can't leave. I recommend listening to the Abras on each floor. The stories they tell give you a greater insight into the situation and story, and I found them both solemn and interesting. It gave the story some life. For the final battles on the top floor, you will want evolved pokemon. Use those rare candies they shamelessly gave you. Use those single use TMs.
My critique comes from the ending, which I found both dreary and shocking, but at the same time, unfulfilling. Throughout the game, you're hyped up to be the hero this world needs, and you can see how you can resolve it. But in the end, you don't. You just die and that's it. No resolution. Perhaps that's what the makers were going for with the theme of dread, but I was still disappointed. I wanted to know what would happen, what happened to Aphrodite, your rival, Dialga and Palkia, everything. I feel a sequel could be really promising, where the next reincarnation of the hero finishes what you couldn't.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 16, 2021
I really liked the game but it had few problems.
As mentioned above, the walls of text were really hard to bare, if you by accident got into them a second time or needed to re-see a really long cut scene like the ending monologue before the last fight, the speed up button is your friend, but even with it, it took to long to move through some times

Spoilers ahead
Spoiler:

Thank you for a cool game anyway!
Is a sequel still coming?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 14, 2021
Just to make sure, are you supposed to go through the whole game having your Pokémon not obey you because their ID doesn't match yours even though it says you're the OT?

I'm playing version 1.4 on MyBoy so I knew the risk of glitches, but I think this is beyond insane. Could it be that I used a 1.0 fire red that wasn't actually compatible?
Edit: Yes, that was the case. I tried patching with another rom and now it works properly, my bad lol

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
I really liked the game but it had few problems.
As mentioned above, the walls of text were really hard to bare, if you by accident got into them a second time or needed to re-see a really long cut scene like the ending monologue before the last fight, the speed up button is your friend, but even with it, it took to long to move through some times

Spoilers ahead
Spoiler:

Thank you for a cool game anyway!
Is a sequel still coming?

Glad you enjoyed it! I am retired from hacking. The sequel was cancelled.

Just to make sure, are you supposed to go through the whole game having your Pokémon not obey you because their ID doesn't match yours even though it says you're the OT?

I'm playing version 1.4 on MyBoy so I knew the risk of glitches, but I think this is beyond insane. Could it be that I used a 1.0 fire red that wasn't actually compatible?
Edit: Yes, that was the case. I tried patching with another rom and now it works properly, my bad lol

Spoiler:

Check the FAQs section. Or:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Glad you enjoyed it! I am retired from hacking. The sequel was cancelled.

Check the FAQs section. Or:
Spoiler:

the sequel cancelled and the dev retired. hmph, let someone else do the sequel instead of letting the series be a 1 hit wonder.

Back