• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Pokémon Essentials v18 progress report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    1. Gen 7 mechanics: Are the following Gen 7 features going to be in v18?
    a) Mega Evolved Pokemon gain their new speed stat immediately upon Mega Evolving (unlike Gen 6 where the new speed stat takes place the next turn)
    b) Dark types are immune to Prankster
    - I've already added these to my v17.2 game (thanks to Vendily and WolfPP, respectively), but I'm just curious if I'll have to add this again in v18
    a) Yes, if you're using the setting that enables the newest battle mechanics.

b) Yes, because that's an effect of Prankster in Gen 7. Again, under the setting that enables the newest battle mechanics.

2. What does the new trainers.txt format look like, where you can now set individual EV's & IV's?
    Here are two entries which demonstrate the new format:

Code:
    #-------------------------------
    [CAMPER,Liam]
    Pokemon=DIGLETT,10
    Pokemon=BONSLY,11
    [LEADER_Brock,Brock,1]
    Items=FULLRESTORE,FULLRESTORE
    Pokemon=GEODUDE,12
        Moves=DEFENSECURL,HEADSMASH,ROCKPOLISH,ROCKTHROW
        Ability=0
        Gender=male
        IV=20,20,31,20,20,31
        EV=0,0,252,0,0,252
    Pokemon=ONIX,14
        Item=SITRUSBERRY
        Moves=HEADSMASH,ROCKTHROW,RAGE,ROCKTOMB
        Ability=0
        Gender=male
        Shiny=yes
        IV=20
        Name=Rocky
        Ball=19
    The indents are unnecessary; they're just there to make it easier to read. Both the old and the new format can be used at once, although a given trainer must use one or the other.

3. Does the AI ability handlers extend to the -ate abilities (Pixilate, Galvanize, Refrigerate, etc...)?
    - I'm hoping the AI will treat Normal attacks as their new type (ex: an opposing Sylveon will use Hyper Voice against my Ghost-type, knowing that it's now a Fairy move)
    I haven't done much to the AI. That's a whole can of worms for another time.

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • Code:
    [CAMPER,Liam]
    Pokemon=DIGLETT,10
    Pokemon=BONSLY,11
    [LEADER_Brock,Brock,1]
    Items=FULLRESTORE,FULLRESTORE
    Pokemon=GEODUDE,12
        Moves=DEFENSECURL,HEADSMASH,ROCKPOLISH,ROCKTHROW
        Ability=0
        Gender=male
        IV=20,20,31,20,20,31
        EV=0,0,252,0,0,252
    Pokemon=ONIX,14
        Item=SITRUSBERRY
        Moves=HEADSMASH,ROCKTHROW,RAGE,ROCKTOMB
        Ability=0
        Gender=male
        Shiny=yes 
        IV=20
        Name=Rocky
        Ball=19
    That looks really nice! It would make it a lot easier to write it all out; right now it's really complex.
    I also have a few requests for you:
    • When you give the player an egg, you should be able to choose the level (default is the value in Settings), here is the code I made:
      Rewrite of pbDayCareGenerateEgg
      Spoiler:
      Rewrite of pbGenerateEgg
      Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That looks really nice! It would make it a lot easier to write it all out; right now it's really complex.
    I also have a few requests for you:
    • When you give the player an egg, you should be able to choose the level (default is the value in Settings), here is the code I made:
      Spoiler:
    • A better way to check if a pokemon evolves with a certain item (e.g. moonstone for the moon ball)
    • De-evolution
    That's all! Thanks for not giving up essentials!
    There's a stickied thread for suggestions, but I'll reply to these here.

Choosing an egg's level makes no sense. Newly hatched Pokémon should always be at the lowest level (1). After all, how can eggs gain experience?

I've already rewritten the Moon Ball check to actually check the evolution methods. I've done something similar with Eviolite.

De-evolution isn't a mechanic I'm interested in. Even Game Freak hasn't touched it. It's far from an essential part of Pokémon games.

Years
  • Great job so far! Reading trhough your changelog here are some suggestions:

- Gen 7 PAR nerf: halves par'd user's speed instead of quarters
    - Have regional variants baked in the software, whether it be for Galar or Alola... this is a thing that will be a consistently requested feature, I think

"Fixed code of Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst so they can't choose a random target if the countered target doesn't exist, and they do 1 damage if they took 0 damage"

That is correct though; counter, metal burst, mirror caot fail if the user doesn't recieve damage. I've never seen a move where a move does less than 1 damage?

Amyrakunejo

Philosophical Pagan Femme Fair Gynesexual Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2020
    I'm glad to see this still getting love.

My only thing...

Gamepad support. Like, I wanna be able to play the game without having to use Joy2Key. My level of skill in Ruby/RGSS is not very high, so implementing this myself is not something I'm likely able to accomplish...

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Great job so far! Reading trhough your changelog here are some suggestions:

- Gen 7 PAR nerf: halves par'd user's speed instead of quarters
    - Have regional variants baked in the software, whether it be for Galar or Alola... this is a thing that will be a consistently requested feature, I think
    This isn't the suggestions thread.

"Fixed code of Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst so they can't choose a random target if the countered target doesn't exist, and they do 1 damage if they took 0 damage"

That is correct though; counter, metal burst, mirror caot fail if the user doesn't recieve damage. I've never seen a move where a move does less than 1 damage?
    False Swipe when the target is already at 1 HP. It doesn't fail, it just does 0 damage.

Gamepad support. Like, I wanna be able to play the game without having to use Joy2Key. My level of skill in Ruby/RGSS is not very high, so implementing this myself is not something I'm likely able to accomplish...
    This isn't the suggestions thread.

Amyrakunejo

Philosophical Pagan Femme Fair Gynesexual Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2020
    Seconding julio here on not being a suggestion.
    Not everyone uses mouse and keyboard for gaming.

Years
  • Seconding julio here on not being a suggestion.
    Not everyone uses mouse and keyboard for gaming.

The "make sure you don't forget the gen 7 par nerf wasn't a suggestion...

He's not saying that he doesn't want to hear your feedback. He's saying that if you want to request Maruno to add some feature that want (like Reigonal formes/ Gamepad Support) then please post it on this thread (https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=271498) and not the v18 progress report thread.

Years
  • Eerie Impulse is bugged out! Error message happens and then quickly disappears. the battle continues however, with only the move failing to activate.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Eerie Impulse is bugged out! Error message happens and then quickly disappears. the battle continues however, with only the move failing to activate.

Double check its details on 'moves.txt': its target are wrong IIRC.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    With the arrival of the 8th gen, will you implement it in this version or will it stay until the 7th gen?

WohaoGaster

Wohao_Gaster
    Years
  • Nice Man! Will there also be a "ADD POKEMON" Thing in Edit pokemon on debug mode?
    Like With the edit items having "ADD ITEM", You know, To define new pokemon.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Nice Man! Will there also be a "ADD POKEMON" Thing in Edit pokemon on debug mode?
    Like With the edit items having "ADD ITEM", You know, To define new pokemon.

Go to Lerucean City > Fan Club map and check the pokeballs events.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is there an expected release date?
    No. I'd never get people's hopes up by announcing a date and then missing it (which I invariably would). That's why my only answer to this question is: "When it's done."

I haven't been working on Essentials recently because of the Relic Castle Game Jam, but that's just ended. Problem is, now there's a heatwave which makes me disinclined to think about anything.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back