• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 14 - 28th September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    That's what Maruno said... It is... Be he tried it the other way and people failed to read simple instructions, I think they should be separate since the download is quick and easy, plus don't have to unpack audio files, if Maruno decides to add new stuff, he doesn't have to add EVERY audio, graphic or PBS, he could just add what he's changed and everyone just needs to press yes when it asks if something needs to be overidden... Simples... But simple is hard for this community sometimes lol.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
    Years
  • There seems to be a lag issue when playing an encrypted version of V14 Essentials, but only encrypted versions. It occurs while walking in the overworld, and the lag is really bad (makes the game way too laggy to play for my tastes). It happened for my friend that I sent it too also, so you can't just blame my PC (I also have a good PC, 8 gigs of ram and a 2.2ghz dual core processor). However, the lag only happens while in the overworld. Battles still run very smoothly.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I, with a certain tool, ripped all the scripts of the Script Editor and attached to this post, so the people that doesn't have RPG Maker XP can look through the scripts (but the events scripts like Name Rater aren't included). For comparison purposes, this have exact 108746 lines of code. RPG Maker XP default project have 15217 lines of code.

The Essentials scripts default order:
    Spoiler:

Attachments

• Essentials v14 Scripts.zip
      669.7 KB · Views: 14

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • There seems to be a lag issue when playing an encrypted version of V14 Essentials, but only encrypted versions. It occurs while walking in the overworld, and the lag is really bad (makes the game way too laggy to play for my tastes). It happened for my friend that I sent it too also, so you can't just blame my PC (I also have a good PC, 8 gigs of ram and a 2.2ghz dual core processor). However, the lag only happens while in the overworld. Battles still run very smoothly.
    This bug is caused by changes to def pbGetPlayerCharset which I thought were necessary (I was under the impression that FileTest.image_exist? didn't work when the game was encrypted or something, that there was some reason it needed to use pbResolveBitmap instead). Preliminary testing shows that's not the case, at least here. Turns out pbResolveBitmap is significantly slow.

Replace this def with the following:

Code:
    def pbGetPlayerCharset(meta,charset,trainer=nil)
      trainer=$Trainer if !trainer
      outfit=trainer ? trainer.outfit : 0
      ret=meta[charset]
      ret=meta[1] if !ret || ret==""
      if FileTest.image_exist?("Graphics/Characters/"+ret+"_"+outfit.to_s)
        ret=ret+"_"+outfit.to_s
      end
      return ret
    end
    I'd love to know why I thought that pbResolveBitmap was required. I'm sure I heard it somewhere. Can someone with knowledge let me know there's any difference between FileTest.image_exist? and pbResolveBitmap (generally, not just here)?

I, with a certain tool, ripped all the scripts of the Script Editor and attached to this post, so the people that doesn't have RPG Maker XP can look through the scripts (but the events scripts like Name Rater aren't included). For comparison purposes, this have exact 108746 lines of code. RPG Maker XP default project have 15217 lines of code.
    I'm curious why you did this.

Is the code for primal pokemon added like the that abilities of primal kyorge and groudon?
    I'll let you read the change log and decide for yourself.

Florio

Years
  • This bug is caused by changes to def pbGetPlayerCharset which I thought were necessary (I was under the impression that FileTest.image_exist? didn't work when the game was encrypted or something, that there was some reason it needed to use pbResolveBitmap instead). Preliminary testing shows that's not the case, at least here. Turns out pbResolveBitmap is significantly slow.

Code:
      ret=meta[charset]
        ret=ret+"_"+outfit.to_s
      end
      return ret
    end

Which section is this script in? I'm not sure where it is, I checked Main and Settings and it wasn't there.

Florio

Years
  • Think about it, did you ctrl+shift+F "pbGetPlayerCharset"?
    and then find the def?

Yeah I did in Main and Settings. I was hoping someone could just tell me where it was so I wouldn't have to go through the effort of checking all of them.

EDIT: Nvm, found it myself in PokemonField. I replaced the script, and encrypted the game with the new script. The lag issue is completely fixed.

Last edited:

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • Yeah I did in Main and Settings. I was hoping someone could just tell me where it was so I wouldn't have to go through the effort of checking all of them.

EDIT: Nvm, found it myself in PokemonField. I replaced the script, and encrypted the game with the new script. The lag issue is completely fixed.

If you do ctrl+shift+F it will search though all scripts in your game, unlike simply ctrl+F that only searches the script you are editing.

Florio

Years
  • If you do ctrl+shift+F it will search though all scripts in your game, unlike simply ctrl+F that only searches the script you are editing.

Oh true, I never knew that. Thanks for pointing that out.

oldsnake90

Creator Pokemon Glacial Freeze
    Years
  • for some reason when i compile it with the new update and played it compiled its really laggy. but if i playtest it in the editor its fine. cant tell if its a bug or its my PC.

Florio

Years
  • for some reason when i compile it with the new update and played it compiled its really laggy. but if i playtest it in the editor its fine. cant tell if its a bug or its my PC.

Read the previous posts, this was just discussed.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    This bug is caused by changes to def pbGetPlayerCharset which I thought were necessary (I was under the impression that FileTest.image_exist? didn't work when the game was encrypted or something, that there was some reason it needed to use pbResolveBitmap instead). Preliminary testing shows that's not the case, at least here. Turns out pbResolveBitmap is significantly slow.

Code:
      ret=meta[charset]
        ret=ret+"_"+outfit.to_s
      end
      return ret
    end
    I'd love to know why I thought that pbResolveBitmap was required. I'm sure I heard it somewhere. Can someone with knowledge let me know there's any difference between FileTest.image_exist? and pbResolveBitmap (generally, not just here)?
    The new most asked question for v14 era. I suggest you a v14.1 release.

I'm curious why you did this.
    For people who haven't RPG Maker XP can look the code of this awesome system. The code is very easy to browse at a code repository like GitHub. Anyway, this took me only five minutes.

Years
  • This bug is caused by changes to def pbGetPlayerCharset which I thought were necessary (I was under the impression that FileTest.image_exist? didn't work when the game was encrypted or something, that there was some reason it needed to use pbResolveBitmap instead). Preliminary testing shows that's not the case, at least here. Turns out pbResolveBitmap is significantly slow.

Code:
      ret=meta[charset]
        ret=ret+"_"+outfit.to_s
      end
      return ret
    end

I'm not sure why you thought that was required, they both wind up using the same method, RTP.eachPathFor, so they both have equal capabilities as to encrypted files or not. There's no comments around FileTest.image_exists? that indicates that, whereas there are for pbResolveBitmap, so you might have falsely assumed?

As to why it's slower, I think (I may be wrong) that the biggest reason is the order in which it tests the files. You can see image_exists? uses these extensions in order
    Code:
    ['.bmp', '.png', '.jpg', '.jpeg', '.gif']

and pbResolveBitmap tests in this order

The filename itself (redundantly, I might add, as the method it's using already does this), gif, gif again(starting here it removes any file extensions used in your call and adds its own to test them), jpg,jpeg,bmp, and finally png.

Pngs are obviously the most commonly used extension in the game, so testing for them last is quite silly and I would think slow up the process by a decent amount.

RTP.getImagePath(filename) will get the exact same results and much faster. Its only disadvantage, that I see, is it won't remove the extension name in it's search. Though that actually makes it easier to type.

oldsnake90

Creator Pokemon Glacial Freeze
    Years
  • since i migrated to the new version i knowtist my Text that are given to people to talk have added a huge gap of space in a middle of a sentence.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • If you don't want to show us a screenshot of this, along with a screenshot of the event command which is saying the text, then that's your business. Just know that it won't be our business either if you're not going to show us these things.

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
    Years
  • Maybe it's time to stop responding to people that want all the work done for them.

Making a specific change on the board might be a good idea to weed out the people who want this handed to them.

Do the work people!

To everyone else, keep on keeping on!

Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Oct 15, 2014
    I might be completely disabled or my computer might me malfunctioning, but it seems that MediaFire yanked the files off for terms of use violation when i tried to nab it today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back