• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 5 - 28th January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
  • Hey, Maruno! It has been a while since I left this site. I don't know if it has been done but I made a custom font for my game. It's the HP font from DPPt and HGSS maybe. Also, added the female and male symbols from Black and White.

Here you can see the font...
    http://www.box.com/s/zs9salqnalmbe2n9a37v

And also, tell me if you like this summary screen in order to use it in a new Essentials release.
    http://www.box.com/s/a0not0zdcxi9jla5fj8m

They're being used in my game but I think I will stop the development, so I don't care about them anymore.

EDIT: In case you want them, I forgot to say, hahaha.

Last edited:

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • I noticed that if you put an event that's able to move in water like a swimmer they wont move until you are in water(surfing), and now they can go out of water and move around if the tile is passable, for ex grass.

Also I have edited wild battle so it can have the canlose function like in trainer battles, which makes it more convenient for the developer, if they want you to win or lose a wild battle, and not have to restart.
    Spoiler:

CloneIchigo

Tuk Dem Nuts
    Years
  • Pokemon Essentials is so nice. I am really looking forward to it's next version if it has HGSS or higher graphics.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • I'm not exactly sure just where this belongs since it's a simple bugfix... So if it's better placed somewhere else, tell me so and I'll post it there.

But for not I'm just going to post this here:

As many of you know, in Pokemon Essentials, A Trainer's encounter music doesn't stop as it should when a battle begins. The fix is extremely simple.

Go to PokemonUtilities and to def pbGetTrainerBattleBGM(trainer)
    Make a new line right at the start of the def, and put pbMEStop.

As I've said, I don't know if this is the right place for this, but it's a fast and simple fix, so I wanted to be sure to post it where Maruno would see it since he's compiling the new versions. It's a very annoying bug, so I hope to see this pre-fixed in the next release.
    Thanks for the fix. Somehow it doesn't look like it's in the proper place, though. I'll look into it.

Hey, Maruno! It has been a while since I left this site. I don't know if it has been done but I made a custom font for my game. It's the HP font from DPPt and HGSS maybe. Also, added the female and male symbols from Black and White.

Here you can see the font...
    http://www.box.com/s/zs9salqnalmbe2n9a37v

And also, tell me if you like this summary screen in order to use it in a new Essentials release.
    http://www.box.com/s/a0not0zdcxi9jla5fj8m

They're being used in my game but I think I will stop the development, so I don't care about them anymore.

EDIT: In case you want them, I forgot to say, hahaha.
    The summary screen in the GUI redesign thread is much the same, and I think it looks a bit nicer. Thanks for the offer, but I'll go with the other design. As for the numbers font, it may be added eventually, but not right now.

Im having problems with the battle audio and wild audio and sound effects are too low barely can hear them.
    That problem should be fixed in the next version. I gave them default volumes of 100 now.

I noticed that if you put an event that's able to move in water like a swimmer they wont move until you are in water(surfing), and now they can go out of water and move around if the tile is passable, for ex grass.

Also I have edited wild battle so it can have the canlose function like in trainer battles, which makes it more convenient for the developer, if they want you to win or lose a wild battle, and not have to restart.
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, that water thing's annoying. I'll look into it. The best solution is probably to give an event the name "Swimmer", to make it be only able to move on water (but not waterfalls!). It could be fiddly.

Interesting thought about the wild battles. I'll include it later.

when do you think the next Update will be. jw
    I don't know.

I've done a number of things already, but still have some designs to come up with and then a few more screens to deal with (including all the battle stuff, which is daunting). Then there's the various necessary tweaks I haven't thought of yet to make. Then there's deciding how far this update should actually go - should I have a bash at remaking the example maps, should I include new tilesets, etc.? That'd mean even more work.

There's also the question of whether I'll have time to work on it, how much time I'll have, and whether I won't just play Minecraft or Pokémon Colosseum instead.

I have no idea how long it'll end up taking. My best guess right now is that it'll be somewhen in April, but don't hold me to it.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    how much time I'll have, and whether I won't just play Minecraft or Pokémon Colosseum instead.

Minecraft.... YOU STRIKE AGAIN.... anyways I'm already working on this but how about adding a way to send sockets (there is already an input method in the http functions but no actual script.) I'm already working on this so if you don't want to work on it I am already.

Maruno

Years
  • In this context, I assume a socket is a way of connecting to something on the Internet. That's the limit of my knowledge here. I can assure you I'm not doing anything with sockets.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    In this context, I assume a socket is a way of connecting to something on the Internet. That's the limit of my knowledge here. I can assure you I'm not doing anything with sockets.

Alright, I'll be doing this then

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    The updated pokemon.txt is ready and is attached to this post. Credits goes also to IceGod64 and dannyboy601.

Attachments

• pokemon.txt to Maruno.txt
      402.7 KB · Views: 15

Maruno

Years
  • Thanks! Now to spend ages going through it myself to check for any errors, and to insert better information where appropriate.

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    I downloaded RPG Maker XP and Pokemon Essentials, but how do I make it work... together?

Whenever I try to open PE with RPGMXP there comes an error message: 'Unexpected file format.' What to do?

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
  • Pokémon Essentials is nothing more than a game-in-progress for RPG Maker XP. Simply open the Game.rxproj file with RMXP.

I highly recommend that before you even touch Essentials, you spend a good while playing with the basic RMXP first. Essentials only builds on the basics, and if you don't know those then you'll be lost in Essentials. There are plenty of tutorials on the Interweb.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Thanks! Now to spend ages going through it myself to check for any errors, and to insert better information where appropriate.
    Please let me know the errors that you find.

Some questions:

1-Do you plan to put my Battle Tower fix on the next release?

2-And what you thinks about the Pokérus situation? It is a missing mechanic that can be put without much effort.

3-And maybe put all the berry effects? At least the type-resistant berries can be put without much effort (17 berries with almost the same effect).

Maruno

Years
  • Please let me know the errors that you find.
    All the StepsToHatch values are inaccurate, as are some BaseEXP values (off the top of my head, Omanyte, Kabuto and any which should be above 255 like Audino). The various y-position numbers probably also need adjusting to suit the new graphics I have, but that's not an error as such because you don't know what graphics I have. I've checked through the Gen 1 Pokémon now and that's pretty much it.

I'm also tweaking a few other things as I go, on a whim, such as hold items (e.g. giving Electirizer and Magmarizer to Pokémon, even though no Pokémon hold them in BW).

I'm getting all my information from The Pokémon Database and Bulbapedia.

Some questions:

1-Do you plan to put my Battle Tower fix on the next release?

2-And what you thinks about the Pokérus situation? It is a missing mechanic that can be put without much effort.

3-And maybe put all the berry effects? At least the type-resistant berries can be put without much effort (17 berries with almost the same effect).
    It's intended that the next release (v6) will be solely about the resizing. Inevitably some unrelated bug fixes have crept in, but I'm trying to keep them to a minimum.

1 - I like to know what I'm doing, rather than blindly throw in things, so I need to look into the Battle Tower scripts first to see how your fixes work. It's something I'll look at as part of making version 7.

2 - The only reason I haven't put Pokérus in already is that I don't know how it's transmitted and how long it lasts (and why). The effect is easy to do.

3 - Item effects will be in eventually. Again, I've been preoccupied with other matters recently. It's a matter of either me getting round to adding them, or someone else donating the code (which tends to spur me into doing it).

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    All the StepsToHatch values are inaccurate, as are some BaseEXP values (off the top of my head, Omanyte, Kabuto and any which should be above 255 like Audino). The various y-position numbers probably also need adjusting to suit the new graphics I have, but that's not an error as such because you don't know what graphics I have. I've checked through the Gen 1 Pokémon now and that's pretty much it.

I'm also tweaking a few other things as I go, on a whim, such as hold items (e.g. giving Electirizer and Magmarizer to Pokémon, even though no Pokémon hold them in BW).

I'm getting all my information from The Pokémon Database and Bulbapedia.
    The StepsToHatch I doesn't know if you wish to update to the new cicles standard, but this can be easily done with "find and replace". BaseEXP I don't change because I thinks that you wish to maintain the gen 4 EXP gain formula rather that gen 5 new one.
    About the y-position numbers is my error because I know the graphics that you have (I talk with Icegod64 about this) and even I adjust these in editor.
    About the "few other things" I agree (I almost talk with you about magmarizer/electrizer thing, just for you know), but keep the changes recorded in some place to don't mess with some developers plans.

It's intended that the next release (v6) will be solely about the resizing. Inevitably some unrelated bug fixes have crept in, but I'm trying to keep them to a minimum."]Bulbapedia[/URL]

1 - I like to know what I'm doing, rather than blindly throw in things, so I need to look into the Battle Tower scripts first to see how your fixes work. It's something I'll look at as part of making version 7.

2 - The only reason I haven't put Pokérus in already is that I don't know how it's transmitted and how long it lasts (and why). The effect is easy to do.

3 - Item effects will be in eventually. Again, I've been preoccupied with other matters recently. It's a matter of either me getting round to adding them, or someone else donating the code (which tends to spur me into doing it).
    Ok about v6.

2 - The links that you get the information can explain better these things.

Its a little hard to help you with some things. Sometimes you won't accept or even know a better way to making the feature, so is better to the improvements to be combined before.
    I think that these assistance can helps you to gain time and work with other things, but if you will look at it anyway, there isn't too help to you.

But you're making a good job in general, keep it!

Maruno

Years
  • The StepsToHatch I doesn't know if you wish to update to the new cicles standard, but this can be easily done with "find and replace". BaseEXP I don't change because I thinks that you wish to maintain the gen 4 EXP gain formula rather that gen 5 new one.
    About the y-position numbers is my error because I know the graphics that you have (I talk with Icegod64 about this) and even I adjust these in editor.
    About the "few other things" I agree (I almost talk with you about magmarizer/electrizer thing, just for you know), but keep the changes recorded in some place to don't mess with some developers plans.
    I saw no reason not to use the newer egg cycles values. I am indeed using "Replace" to mass-correct them.

BaseEXP has been the same for almost all Pokémon so far, so I see no reason why the few that are wrong shouldn't be fixed. I don't think it'd make much of a difference. As for the Exp calculation, I'll probably make that a Setting to decide which method is used.

I've actually changed some of the sprites since I received them (a few misaligned back sprites, a few recolourings, a few more outright replacements because I just wanted to). The BattlerPlayerY values should all be 0, but aren't.

Ok about v6.

2 - The links that you get the information can explain better these things.

Its a little hard to help you with some things. Sometimes you won't accept or even know a better way to making the feature, so is better to the improvements to be combined before.
    I think that these assistance can helps you to gain time and work with other things, but if you will look at it anyway, there isn't too help to you.

But you're making a good job in general, keep it!
    Even if I happen to figure out a better way of achieving something, I still appreciate help and suggestions about it because they'll inspire me to look at it in the first place - I would probably otherwise not get around to it at all for ages (e.g. the various ability effects that were added in the last few versions, which I wouldn't have done had they not been submitted to me). This would definitely not bump another improvement out of the way, if you're worried about that.

With something like your Battle Tower fixes, I'll just glance over it to get the gist of what it does. If I was coming up with the solution myself, I would probably have to delve much deeper into it to figure out what to do. I just want to make sure I have some basic knowledge about the area, so that I can combat any potential errors that arise and so forth. Trust me, you're saving me a lot of effort.

FlipelyFlip

Arr teh Pirate
    Years
  • heyey,

I like the new starterkit and it brought me back to work on my pokegame. Also I like your features.

Like someone before said, there could be a lot more coments in the scripts, which explain what the script do or some parts do, or for what they are used.
    But in general it's a good job and a cool kit.

But what I really wanted to say:
    I'm working on a german translation from the actual kit. (I have translated nearly everything, excluding some stuff from the editor and some stuff from debug). If you want I can give it to you and keep it actual (it's no prob for me). But I found out a little bug.
    I translated all the {1} used {2} in the script and after the 10th compile data and replacing the intl in the datafolder, it still says: "Aqua used Windstoss". Maybe I'm blind or there is really a text passage in the script which don't uses the _INTL(). It's nothing bad, it's just at first anoying for me, because I didn't thought this way. Until now I haven't found it in the scripts, and also it's every used translated in the intl. maybe you can help me ._.

~flip

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back