• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 5 - 28th January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen today
    I'd love to have a translation file in Essentials for at least one other language, as an example. Keeping it up to date would be the hard part. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how to deal with that.

The "Pokémon used Move!" message is in the def pbDisplayUseMessage in the script section PokeBattle_Move. It does use _INTL, and it looks fine to me. Perhaps you can search your file specifically for the phrase {1} used\r\n{2}! (I think that's how it works), on the off-chance you overlooked it. I can't think of anything.

Could you check the other phrases that use the same method to display the message? These are:
    * "Pikachu is struggling!"
    * "Pikachu is confused!"
    * "Pikachu is in love with Bulbasaur!"
    * "Pikachu's attack!" for when using the move Beat Up.

If they don't work either, there'll be something wrong with the method rather than the phrase.

It might be best to take this conversation to PMs, to avoid cluttering up the thread.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    I'm not exactly sure just where this belongs since it's a simple bugfix... So if it's better placed somewhere else, tell me so and I'll post it there.

But for not I'm just going to post this here:

As many of you know, in Pokemon Essentials, A Trainer's encounter music doesn't stop as it should when a battle begins. The fix is extremely simple.

Go to PokemonUtilities and to def pbGetTrainerBattleBGM(trainer)
    Make a new line right at the start of the def, and put pbMEStop.

As I've said, I don't know if this is the right place for this, but it's a fast and simple fix, so I wanted to be sure to post it where Maruno would see it since he's compiling the new versions. It's a very annoying bug, so I hope to see this pre-fixed in the next release.

There is another problem. After fix it, the Trainer's encounter music is listened, but not the music of battle. (It is not listened at all)

It seems that alone it happens if the Trainer's encounter music is .mid, does not happen with .MP3

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    Even if I happen to figure out a better way of achieving something, I still appreciate help and suggestions about it because they'll inspire me to look at it in the first place - I would probably otherwise not get around to it at all for ages (e.g. the various ability effects that were added in the last few versions, which I wouldn't have done had they not been submitted to me). This would definitely not bump another improvement out of the way, if you're worried about that.

With something like your Battle Tower fixes, I'll just glance over it to get the gist of what it does. If I was coming up with the solution myself, I would probably have to delve much deeper into it to figure out what to do. I just want to make sure I have some basic knowledge about the area, so that I can combat any potential errors that arise and so forth. Trust me, you're saving me a lot of effort.
    I this case that is a little isolated thing I trust, but some others minor changes are really advantageous? It's a minor question but I like to argue if this isn't annoying to you.
    Compare the time to one people to put a feature against the time to other people to put a feature, to explain to other and this other to implement.
    Other big difference is that you is better in Ruby that me (I'm not sure how much), and like you probably know, better programmers can implement things in less time.

About the Battle Tower fix, a important point that I forget to mention is that I don't know how the "Generates Team" works (the official games never had this). To disable, in PokemonOrgBattleGenerator just substitute (or comment) the
    Code:
    cmd=Kernel.pbMessage(
     _INTL("Generate Pokemon teams for this challenge?"),
    [_INTL("NO"),_INTL("YES, USE EXISTING"),_INTL("YES, USE NEW")],1)
    to 'cmd=0'

heyey,

I like the new starterkit and it brought me back to work on my pokegame. Also I like your features.

Like someone before said, there could be a lot more coments in the scripts, which explain what the script do or some parts do, or for what they are used.
    But in general it's a good job and a cool kit.

But what I really wanted to say:
    I'm working on a german translation from the actual kit. (I have translated nearly everything, excluding some stuff from the editor and some stuff from debug). If you want I can give it to you and keep it actual (it's no prob for me). But I found out a little bug.
    I translated all the {1} used {2} in the script and after the 10th compile data and replacing the intl in the datafolder, it still says: "Aqua used Windstoss". Maybe I'm blind or there is really a text passage in the script which don't uses the _INTL(). It's nothing bad, it's just at first anoying for me, because I didn't thought this way. Until now I haven't found it in the scripts, and also it's every used translated in the intl. maybe you can help me ._.

~flip
    Are you using the "export text" function on essentials? Is better to keep the updates and not branch off your version.
    Maybe in future I can help to translate some portions of text.

FlipelyFlip

Arr teh Pirate
    Years
  • @FL.: I use the extract text for it (:
    and the problem with my translatingproblem with "blabla used Windstoss" was, that I deleted the used line for it (:
    so there is no problem anymore for it (:

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Dude! What did you do to the moves?!
    WHAT WHAT WHAT?!
    I was trying to restart my game and wanted to restart from your latest version of essentials and... and... all the moves are messed! The move effects too, I had them all a lot different that yours.
    What did you base on? The Black and White order or what?

Why?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    Dude! What did you do to the moves?!
    WHAT WHAT WHAT?!
    I was trying to restart my game and wanted to restart from your latest version of essentials and... and... all the moves are messed! The move effects too, I had them all a lot different that yours.
    What did you base on? The Black and White order or what?

Why?
    Type (start with Bug) and decreasing attack power. The function codes I thinks that is for utilization (see http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Function_codes)

The items are also messed with utilizations.

The best fix for your moves its to use the new moves.txt and copy/paste and edit any custom move.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • I'll have to start over, then. I created a lot of moves and effects.
    I just can't get used to this new order, it's like the previous order was the orginal games'. If you see the moves data on any ROM(from 3rd to 5th generation), you'll see the order hasn't chaged at all.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen today
    The order that the moves are in within moves.txt makes no difference at all. I arranged them alphabetically by type and then by base power because, well, why not? It's as good an order as any, and certainly better than the complete randomness that is their order in ROMs. What matters for a move is its function code, which leads me to my second paragraph...

At the same time as moves.txt was changed (version 3), I also rearranged and renumbered the function codes for much the same reason. Nowadays similar effects are grouped together, as can be seen on the wiki. There are also no longer any gaps in the list, so you have a definite starting point (code 133 and onwards) rather than "there's a free code I can use!" for your own moves. I think it's more helpful that way.

As FL mentioned, I also rearranged the items list for the same reason - they're now sorted by pocket, then roughly by effect. Again, their order within items.txt makes no difference to anything, and is just for convenience. It'll be resorted again slightly in version 6, with the addition of the Gen 5 items.

There was no reason for the rearrangings other than making it look neater and grouping similar things together.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    I'll have to start over, then. I created a lot of moves and effects.
    I just can't get used to this new order, it's like the previous order was the orginal games'. If you see the moves data on any ROM(from 3rd to 5th generation), you'll see the order hasn't chaged at all.
    I don't think that is hard to copy/paste the changes using a table unless that you have more that 50 different new effects.

By the way, to copy/paste abilities from old poccil system to Maruno new system (and vice-versa) is only necessary to copy the PokeBattle_Move, PokeBattle_MoveEffects, PokeBattle_Battler and PokeBattle_Battle scripts? Updating isn't a option.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back