• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Pokémon fangame accessibility improvements

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
hello evry one in this community
i am a blind person from algeria
i am new here
i alwayse, uh, dreamed of playing pokemon, or pokémon, or should i call it pokey mon?
for a long time, because, i like the consept, i like the creatures, i like evrything.
so please, who ever sees, hears or otherways encounter this poky topic, please, make your games accessible to the blind gamers all over the world.
i have a handfull of suggestions
you can email me the texts, including but not limited to the names of the pokemon, the dyalogues, the battles, and all the animations and visuals, and we can record our voices, me and my friends, and then you impliment them to the game
the suggestions are:
an option wich toggles the accessibility mode, the blind mode, or whatever you will call it, that will make the game talking: lol
prononciation of events like: {"a female level 9 pikachoto apeered and wants to battle"} or {"pikachoto used thunder hurricane on sordski
pikachoto has delt 25 damage to sordski
///play the fainting cry/// sordski has been defeted"} and so on
adding a detailled blind friendly map that goes:
you are in twinleaf town. pokemart is 6 steps to the north, pokemon senter is 12 steps east and 1 step south west, meening that up aero goes north, down aero goes south, left aero goes west and right aero goes east, as explaned in the next suggestion
navigation of the hole game with keyboard, no mouse, no mouse in the bf mode
announcing of the menu items like "select an action for the pokemon chansy". "attack"
and then a blind player presses enter, and then your game goes, "select an attack", double slapp, physical attack, power 45, acurassy 100%, slaps an oponant 2 times"
and then he presses enter, and then double slap sounnd is played, and then the game says, chansy used double slap. chansy delt 19 damage to enemy squirtle. it's squirtle's turn, and so on
some explisite keys, like, press enter to push a bolder when you are close to one, meening if you go to it from it's west side and press enter, it'll gets pushed east, and like that it goes
mmm, let me think of other stuff
ah, adding a hotkey during battle that announces the description of the pokemon, like: pikachu is a yelo mouse with electric bolt shaped lines around its tail or something like that
announcing of the new location as we enter it
looping sound effects for the folowing items and obgects:
a wissle sound for an item in the way
different sounds for when you aproche a rock or a bolder, water, dor, gate, and so on

a 8bit wiwee wiwee sound for a person
or, instead of all the sound recording prossess, make it playable with screenreaders, like NVDA, wich is a free one for windows, i think there is an api called toke or something like that, that can announce all these stuff with NVda, if you use it ofcorse
or make it announce things through sapi
there are some other small things, but for now, this is the list
please guys, that will take the accessibility of games for the blind to the next level.
imagine pokemon yuranium, pokemon insurgence, the new pokemon zero, and many many more games accessible to us, that would be amazing
thanks for your interrest

Last edited:

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Making video games more accessible is definitely a good idea! I know that there's been a recent demand, or perhaps its more accurate to say desire, to make fan-games be more accessible to color blind individuals, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about making them more accessible for blind individuals as a whole.

I do have to wonder how difficult such a concept would be to execute though; it's very easy to say on paper what could be done, but how would one go about approaching these ends? There is no mistaking that such a process would be worth it, and it'd certainly open a whole new avenue for prospective players to enjoy games.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
i can record all the names of the pokemon, the places, the item names, etc, just send the hole game text to me via email or skipe
my skipe name is ilyas booneehee
and then the devs should just play the sounds in the right order and that's it.
oh, i forgot to add adding footsteps to the game to the suggestions list
thanks

Years
hi,
I am a blind player my slef, and I can tell you that you don't need the directions for things.
With soundqueues for everything, you will not need directions.
This asumes that wall sound and people sounds and door sounds all are in place.
I realy hope that devs considder, I get that they use there free time for this, and that's an amazing hobby to have.
Let's all play equally!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
yeah, that's great aswell, but all other suggs accept dirrections should be done, IfThereGonnaMakeThereGamesAccessible that is
btw are you gamilation?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
exactly.
a tts script for essenciels that supports sapi or NVDA

i think it's called saapi.dll or nvda-controler-client.dll or something

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Yes, TTs would be amazing to have. That would definetly make the games more accessible, but we still can't fully enjoy them. For that we need sounds and more sounds.

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
Years
ok, here's what I would do (in order):
  • All speech bubbles would be read out
  • In the battle menu, when you hover over an option, its read out
  • Same but with bag, party & pokegear too
I'm going to add more as I go along

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
what will make the game playable to you?
here's what I'd do:
I could play a steps sound that indicates you're on a paved path, and on the right direction (I'll create maps where the path shows the way to go). I could also make different sounds based on what you bump into, or add a key that describes what you're looking at, ie: it's a rock, looks like you can push it. or: it's the water's edge, you'll need a boat. people can greet you when you're nearby, so you know they're there. my battle system has no menu though- it shows the options on screen with the key for each. but there will be a tutorial, which tells you the keys, and there's a battle log saying what happened each turn, hopefully with speech-to-text it's clear enough. and for HP bars, the log can say how much HP battlers have left. pick able items are another issue. I can make your pet pick up items nearby (pikachu found a potion, etc)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
hey there @ silver wind
please let me try and update the list of what you can do to be more more playable
first, adding different footsteps for different terrains, like a step for mud, and a step for grass, and one for metal, etc etc etc etc.
as for the second one, that could be helpful, but we need sounds and sounds and sounds. because most audiogames (games for the blind) have sounds more then dirrections, and that meens only one thing. exploration is your friend.
no no no no no no, we don't need our pokemon to pickup our stuff for us for the most part, but that is a welcome feature. when there''s sounds for evrything, we don't need pokemon groundsearching
thanks for the interrest

Years
ok, first of all
the different footsteps for eatch terain. It's good to have, but doesn't need to be there for accessibility.
We should focus on the core things first, then we can get to all the other things.
There is a lua script for pokemon crystall called pokemon crystall access.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
yeah, and it's opensourced to, so you mite manipulate it, IfYou'reGonnaMakeAFanRomThatis

Last edited:
Back