• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)

Years
I'm assuming by BST you mean base stats? Frankly, I haven't played competitively since gen IV, so I wasn't even aware this had been changed. All base stats remain the same as they were in the original FireRed, and I haven't seen the need to change them around. Unless this is an issue a lot of people feel very passionate about, I'll probably keep it as-is.

They did receive them in Gen VI, but they are minimal:

http://www.serebii.net/xy/updatedstats.shtml

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 9, 2021
Just finished playing a casual run of the beta, I love it! The concept of stealing Pokemon is so clever, and the execution of it is very well done. While playing, I did notice a couple of things:

1) The Pokemon on Route 7 are still in the normal levels (~22), which is very high, considering it's available to the player as soon as you get your first two Pokemon. i don't know if this is a mistake or done on purpose, but just maybe something to consider in the future? (since it seems like many are exploiting this to beat Red, etc.)

2) In the department store, the text for the Thunder Stone is glitched (I think it says "Thunder StoneWater Stone", and covers up the price, and also leaves the text box towards the end)

3) I like that you left the Eevee in there c: Also, the lowered encounter rates in Mt. Moon are great, it's nice not having to run into Zubat every five seconds.

4) I think someone mentioned this already, but there's a slight inconsistency in the text at Mt. Moon, where Red defeats the scientist and takes the fossils. In the original, Red takes one and leaves the other, and in this version, the text is the same, and shows that one fossil is left, but Red still takes both. Either way is fine honestly, just the way it is now is a bit contradicting (it's a pretty minor detail, but I know how easy it is to overlook the smallest of details sometimes c:)

I think that's about it. Just a few things I noticed/liked about the game. You mentioned something about finals, good luck with those, I know how you feel! And if you want any help with anything in this project, I would be more than happy to help (but I understand if you don't want the help as well). Either way, I'm looking forward to the future releases of this c:

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
Years
Just finished playing a casual run of the beta, I love it! The concept of stealing Pokemon is so clever, and the execution of it is very well done. While playing, I did notice a couple of things:

1) The Pokemon on Route 7 are still in the normal levels (~22), which is very high, considering it's available to the player as soon as you get your first two Pokemon. i don't know if this is a mistake or done on purpose, but just maybe something to consider in the future? (since it seems like many are exploiting this to beat Red, etc.)

2) In the department store, the text for the Thunder Stone is glitched (I think it says "Thunder StoneWater Stone", and covers up the price, and also leaves the text box towards the end)

3) I like that you left the Eevee in there c: Also, the lowered encounter rates in Mt. Moon are great, it's nice not having to run into Zubat every five seconds.

4) I think someone mentioned this already, but there's a slight inconsistency in the text at Mt. Moon, where Red defeats the scientist and takes the fossils. In the original, Red takes one and leaves the other, and in this version, the text is the same, and shows that one fossil is left, but Red still takes both. Either way is fine honestly, just the way it is now is a bit contradicting (it's a pretty minor detail, but I know how easy it is to overlook the smallest of details sometimes c:)

I think that's about it. Just a few things I noticed/liked about the game. You mentioned something about finals, good luck with those, I know how you feel! And if you want any help with anything in this project, I would be more than happy to help (but I understand if you don't want the help as well). Either way, I'm looking forward to the future releases of this c:
Awesome; glad to hear you liked it! 1) is purely a mistake, sorry about that. 4) just so happens to be 100% intentional.
):
It is killing me inside to be away from working on this goodness, but I still have a week and a half of IB finals left that's keeping me busy. Once I'm off next week, getting beta v2 out there will be my number one priority-- I give you my word.

Acnologia Rising

Koliax Rogue
Years
Hmmm.
Fuligin has been the only real decent Rocket hack I have played, but this one certainly seems very promising! I will wait until more progress has been made (I don't like playing un-completed hacks as it leaves me curious and bored when I get halfway through a hack and the beta ends.), but I will look forward to playing this one!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 22, 2017
oooooooh, almost looking forward to this more than game of thrones haha, loved the concept since first playthrough, good job man!

colonelsalt

Years
Hmmm.
Fuligin has been the only real decent Rocket hack I have played, but this one certainly seems very promising! I will wait until more progress has been made (I don't like playing un-completed hacks as it leaves me curious and bored when I get halfway through a hack and the beta ends.), but I will look forward to playing this one!
Thanks man. That's cool, I hadn't heard about that one before now. Might have to check it out.
Hey I really liked playing the beta! I was just wondering how close are you to an update?
Thanks! I feel ya; don't know exactly when I'll get the next beta out, but it will be as soon as conceivable possible.
Two days from now I'll be free from all other commitments, and from then on I'll be regular on the progress updates, pinky promise.
Where i can find this rom?
First you're going to have to get a hold of a copy of the original Pokémon FireRed ROM first (can't link it due to legal issues, but search engines are your friend).

Are you using a Windows computer? In that case, head on over here and download Lunar IPS and use it to apply the patch in the first post to the ROM, and you should be all set. Let me know if you have any more trouble.
oooooooh, almost looking forward to this more than game of thrones haha, loved the concept since first playthrough, good job man!
I lol'd. Appreciate the kind words.

GoldFlareon

Biotic Flareon
Years
I've been playing through this hack and I must say that it is very, very enjoyable. :D I have always loved the concept of a hack in which you'd play as a Rocket grunt. Very cool concept and you've executed it marvellously. I love the pokemon stealing mechanic! Simply awesome. :3

Thanks for producing this! I wish you well in the future. :D

colonelsalt

Years
yoo man how's it going? any progress? :)
Swell, thank you. How are you?

Progress on beta v2 is in full swing again, and I am super happy about it. I am firing on all cylinders to get the version out as soon as conceivably possible; promise to have a more detailed progress update soon!
I've been playing through this hack and I must say that it is very, very enjoyable. :D I have always loved the concept of a hack in which you'd play as a Rocket grunt. Very cool concept and you've executed it marvellously. I love the pokemon stealing mechanic! Simply awesome. :3

Thanks for producing this! I wish you well in the future. :D
Just another person checking in to let you know there's demand for you hack :D
You guys are really the best. I'm super happy to hear this type of feedback every time it comes. It is for you guys that the hack is made!
"Would you like Rattata?" ... "No" ... "Well that's too bad, you're getting it anyway."
This is awesome xD
Hahaha yes. Credits due to ckret2 for having the original version of that joke. It was simply too good for me to refrain from rehashing.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
Give us some update posts with screenshots from time to time!

Can't wait to see where you take the story from here.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2021
Of course the first shiny I've ever run into would be a wild Paras that I can't even catch...

Anyway, I played the beta on a whim and really enjoyed it. A++ characterisation from Ronnie all the way up to Giovanni and Blaine. I like how involved the protagonist (or maybe we're now an antagonist?) is; I actually felt like a Rocket grunt who has a clearly defined line of superiors.

The mechanic for stealing Pokemon was great and I'm really glad you went to the effort of including it. My only real critique of it is that the number of Pokemon you have rises rather quickly and most people aren't going to say no to a new Pokemon as long as it's a duplicate. There's no cost to stealing a Pokemon so I have no reason to continually do it. The official games at least have the cost of the Pokeball (however small that may be) and the time you spend trying to catch it (e.g. putting it to sleep and lowering its HP) as a cost but here you're simply given a Pokemon of your choosing after going through a mandatory Pokemon battle. It's kinda like how some people didn't like being straight up given a Lucario with a megastone in XY versus having to catch a Riolu and level it up in BW2.

I don't have any better ideas as to how you could potentially handle it instead, to be honest, but I thought I'd just offer my thoughts.

Overall, a very promising beginning. I particularly enjoyed the scene at the end and the little touches of finesse in there: Oak's past relationship with Giovanni being hinted at, the starters being warfare Pokemon (and suddenly making it entirely reasonable how a bunch of little kids manage to blast their way through all of TR's grunts in cannon), and Bill + Blaine being tied into the story. Getting completely wiped by Red was great too, I didn't expect the hack to go down that route as many similar ones normally shy away from introducing Red. I'm glad we didn't have to beat him to progress the story only for the game to continue on as if we lost (see: many DBZ games).

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this is taken.

colonelsalt

Years
Give us some update posts with screenshots from time to time!

Can't wait to see where you take the story from here.
Since you ask so nicely...

YcNo1Nd.png
XvfKRki.png

I have recently had to go against my grave loathing of mapping to put together a couple of new-ish areas. Happy with it so far.

Had a minor hiccup as I realized I'd unwittingly overwritten the reflection palettes of a few Pokémon (seen above). Repointing and expanding the palette table then had me exceed the number of possible palettes on the screen at once. I was on the brink of compromising the design I had in mind until I came across this godsent patch from Navenatox. Sometimes the resources I find browsing around this site are almost too perfect.

Of course the first shiny I've ever run into would be a wild Paras that I can't even catch...

Anyway, I played the beta on a whim and really enjoyed it. A++ characterisation from Ronnie all the way up to Giovanni and Blaine. I like how involved the protagonist (or maybe we're now an antagonist?) is; I actually felt like a Rocket grunt who has a clearly defined line of superiors.

The mechanic for stealing Pokemon was great and I'm really glad you went to the effort of including it. My only real critique of it is that the number of Pokemon you have rises rather quickly and most people aren't going to say no to a new Pokemon as long as it's a duplicate. There's no cost to stealing a Pokemon so I have no reason to continually do it. The official games at least have the cost of the Pokeball (however small that may be) and the time you spend trying to catch it (e.g. putting it to sleep and lowering its HP) as a cost but here you're simply given a Pokemon of your choosing after going through a mandatory Pokemon battle. It's kinda like how some people didn't like being straight up given a Lucario with a megastone in XY versus having to catch a Riolu and level it up in BW2.

I don't have any better ideas as to how you could potentially handle it instead, to be honest, but I thought I'd just offer my thoughts.

Overall, a very promising beginning. I particularly enjoyed the scene at the end and the little touches of finesse in there: Oak's past relationship with Giovanni being hinted at, the starters being warfare Pokemon (and suddenly making it entirely reasonable how a bunch of little kids manage to blast their way through all of TR's grunts in cannon), and Bill + Blaine being tied into the story. Getting completely wiped by Red was great too, I didn't expect the hack to go down that route as many similar ones normally shy away from introducing Red. I'm glad we didn't have to beat him to progress the story only for the game to continue on as if we lost (see: many DBZ games).

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this is taken.

Thanks a lot; really appreciate the detailed feedback. Yeah, the stealing mechanic is just something I've thought for many years would just be super sick if it were used properly. Loved Colosseum and XD for that reason, but always thought it would be more fun if it was even less restrictive. I do see the need to temper it a bit after a while, though. Expect to see that in the next release.

Your shiny Paras story hurts my soul. You got a screenshot of it at least? Also, you kinda made me want to play Budokai Tenkaichi 2 again.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
Since you ask so nicely...

YcNo1Nd.png
XvfKRki.png

I have recently had to go against my grave loathing of mapping to put together a couple of new-ish areas. Happy with it so far.

Had a minor hiccup as I realized I'd unwittingly overwritten the reflection palettes of a few Pokémon (seen above). Repointing and expanding the palette table then had me exceed the number of possible palettes on the screen at once. I was on the brink of compromising the design I had in mind until I came across this godsent patch from Navenatox. Sometimes the resources I find browsing around this site are almost too perfect.

Thanks a lot; really appreciate the detailed feedback. Yeah, the stealing mechanic is just something I've thought for many years would just be super sick if it were used properly. Loved Colosseum and XD for that reason, but always thought it would be more fun if it was even less restrictive. I do see the need to temper it a bit after a while, though. Expect to see that in the next release.

Your shiny Paras story hurts my soul. You got a screenshot of it at least? Also, you kinda made me want to play Budokai Tenkaichi 2 again.

Machoke! It does look cool and loads of grunts as well!

As for the stealing thing, you could have a side chapter of maybe the Officer planting an old lady/young child for the player to fight... and if you steal it from those particular people the officer catches you and engages in a battle with OP Pokemon/just simply reprimands you by taking some money + the pokemon you stole away! Or you spend overnight in prison and some money gets taken away to release you (bail!).

And you could plant clues in the dialogue with those NPC's that tell the player to not steal from them.

Seems too complicated actually haha.

Or after you reach a certain stage of relevance in the Organization, it would be beneath you to steal from the young, sick and the elderly. And not every strong trainer would be weak enough after battle to offer up their Pokemon for capture.

Back