• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2015
Hello, my apologies if this has been answered but i would like to know:
1. Is there a way yet to edit the cry of the expanded pokemon? if so which tool allows me to do that?
2. Is there a way to edit trainers other than PET? cuz once i expanded the pokemon using this tool, PET doesnt allow me to edit trainers anymore.
3. Adding to the second question, is there a way to edit trainers so that they possess any/some of the expanded pokemon? if so which tool?
4 And finally, on the part that lets me edit the evolutions, when i make the pokemon evolve via a stone, it lets me use any item as the stone, so i can use any item as the stone? or will this only work with actual evolution stones?

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
I join to joshass123 question about Cry editor include to g3HS. I must said, that your tool si great. But one thing I do not understand. Using your expansion Tool make one of placeholder as 387 or BadEgg?

1. Is there a way yet to edit the cry of the expanded pokemon? if so which tool allows me to do that?
2. Is there a way to edit trainers other than PET? cuz once i expanded the pokemon using this tool, PET doesnt allow me to edit trainers anymore.
3. Adding to the second question, is there a way to edit trainers so that they possess any/some of the expanded pokemon? if so which tool?
4 And finally, on the part that lets me edit the evolutions, when i make the pokemon evolve via a stone, it lets me use any item as the stone, so i can use any item as the stone? or will this only work with actual evolution stones?

Sorry for Double Post. But I have answer for your question 3.
Use G3T. In there only edit amount of Pokemon <In Ini> And open Trainer Editor. With that little change you can give to trainers added Pokemons freely as you want <I make for example small hack to giving Garry on first battle Tepig without Charmader after chosing Squritle>

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023

1. Somewhat, I think. You can't do it for all of them as of now, or so I've heard.
2. Yes. Use Jambo51's trainer editor or Kurapika's they both have inis you can modify to do that, or just hex edit them.
3.^ Also, if you wanna add them in the wild check my signature ;)
4.I don't know, make a copy of your ROM and try :)

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
You may already know by now, but the toolkit (1.1.3 at least) works totally fine for me on Windows 8.1 x64. Also, is there a premade INI for Jambo's 649 patch? And is he okay with people releasing things based on it as long as there's credit where credit is due?

I own the 649 patch right now and it has been discontinued due to a massive amount of bugs and issues. If you want to know more about it, vm me.

I using Windows 8.0, and the tool works fine, but i need use one method ( open 2 times the tool and wait for 1 or 2 minutes and its open).
Man this tool is awesome, its make me back to rom hacking, its the major update in rom hacking since it begin, really nice, and congratulations for make dreams reality.

I have 1 sugeestions for you:
1- if posible work in cry expansor too.

Congrats and thanks

I packaged this on Windows XP, which is probably why it has a few issues on 8.:P Eventually I will upgrade my Windows setup....

I am trying to get a full cry editor. Once that works, I will add expanding crys. I did however, expand the cry index table, so really, the other table doesn't need to be expanded until you edit the cries themselves. That is why I am waiting.

1. I would familiarize yourself with repoint tables, repoint and expand the cry table, then read Chaos Rush's cry tutorial.
2. Already answered.
3. ^
4. You need to hack items other than stones (using a tutorial I wrote...:P) to be able to use them, but it is very simple and easy to do. When I add an item editor, that will be a feature.

I join to joshass123 question about Cry editor include to g3HS. I must said, that your tool si great. But one thing I do not understand. Using your expansion Tool make one of placeholder as 387 or BadEgg?

I chose the name badegg because editing it does nothing at all for the egg. You can edit it's sprite an change it, but that is it. Editing anything else does nothing, so I chose badegg so that you don't play with it and then ask me why nothing happens.:P

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
I noticed one slight issue with the Pokemon expander. I had previously added 4 Pokemon (the Megas of the starters), and then later I decided to add another 26 or something like that - the evos and preevos from gen 4, plus Sylveon. After a couple of attempts, I figured out that the number of "new Pokemon" being added was the total number being added, not the number I was adding in one go. Easy enough to fix, but I nearly deleted some work when I made corrections.

Overall, I am loving this (in combo with Mr. Dollsteak's base). So far, the only things I haven't tried out are Egg Moves and Icons. The former because I haven't had a need, and the latter because I haven't yet found a source for icons/overworlds/what have you. :/

EDIT: Ok, I ran into an issue spriting. So far, I've only inserted one sprite, and it screwed things up. "Bad LZ77 compressed data at 0x720d88." When I click ok, I'm told the sprite insertion was aborted. Well, now some of the sprites are missing. This had happened previously and more catastrophically, but that other time I had tried and failed to cancel uploading a sprite to the wrong 'mon. This time, however, I'm still seeing this error. And upon uploading, some sprites are missing. I found a wild Rattata, and when I send out my Bulbasaur, Bulbasaur is invisible. :(

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
I noticed one slight issue with the Pokemon expander. I had previously added 4 Pokemon (the Megas of the starters), and then later I decided to add another 26 or something like that - the evos and preevos from gen 4, plus Sylveon. After a couple of attempts, I figured out that the number of "new Pokemon" being added was the total number being added, not the number I was adding in one go. Easy enough to fix, but I nearly deleted some work when I made corrections.

Overall, I am loving this (in combo with Mr. Dollsteak's base). So far, the only things I haven't tried out are Egg Moves and Icons. The former because I haven't had a need, and the latter because I haven't yet found a source for icons/overworlds/what have you. :/

EDIT: Ok, I ran into an issue spriting. So far, I've only inserted one sprite, and it screwed things up. "Bad LZ77 compressed data at 0x720d88." When I click ok, I'm told the sprite insertion was aborted. Well, now some of the sprites are missing. This had happened previously and more catastrophically, but that other time I had tried and failed to cancel uploading a sprite to the wrong 'mon. This time, however, I'm still seeing this error. And upon uploading, some sprites are missing. I found a wild Rattata, and when I send out my Bulbasaur, Bulbasaur is invisible. :(

1) That was a poorish coding choice on my part. Once you expand 'mons, do to the way I coded it to make sure that BadEgg and the Unowns were labelled, you can't expand again. My latest dev version makes the expand pokemon button go away if there are more than 412 pokemon already.

2) I have tried so hard to locate this bug. I spent 30 minutes inserting random sprites everywhere from Chaos' resource, I must have inserted over 40 sprites and not a single one broke. I wish I could find the bug, but I can't....

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023

I had the bad lz77 error. Go to Wichu's sprite editor, go to the pokemon that gives you the wrong data (it should have a square cut off some of it, literally) and just add it again.

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
I had the bad lz77 error. Go to Wichu's sprite editor, go to the pokemon that gives you the wrong data (it should have a square cut off some of it, literally) and just add it again.

When I loaded the ROM in Wichu's sprite editor, I got an error message, "...not LZ77 compressed!" I clicked ok, and the ROM, though loaded, could not show any Pokemon. There was no option to click on Ambipom (the only one I'd added a sprite for).

I wonder, could it be screwed up because the number of new Pokemon and new Dex entries aren't matching? I'm inserting the Mega starters, but I don't necessarily want them to have Dex entries. Could this screw up the game?

And karatekid, I saw that expanding past 412 more than once is bad. I didn't notice a problem when adjusting duplicated Bad Egg, Unown!, and Unown?. Out of curiosity, what problem comes of double expanding?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
When I loaded the ROM in Wichu's sprite editor, I got an error message, "...not LZ77 compressed!" I clicked ok, and the ROM, though loaded, could not show any Pokemon. There was no option to click on Ambipom (the only one I'd added a sprite for).

I wonder, could it be screwed up because the number of new Pokemon and new Dex entries aren't matching? I'm inserting the Mega starters, but I don't necessarily want them to have Dex entries. Could this screw up the game?

And karatekid, I saw that expanding past 412 more than once is bad. I didn't notice a problem when adjusting duplicated Bad Egg, Unown!, and Unown?. Out of curiosity, what problem comes of double expanding?

Then change the ini in Wichu's sprite editor..

karatekid552

Years

I will continue to look for the issue. Hopefully I find it.

The issue is that everything revolved around adding the 25 Unown slots and bad egg to the number 412. This makes it really awkward and a lot of the data might not line up if you double expand.

As I said in VM, Bubble is unselectable due to Bubblebeam being before it.

Also, as a suggestion, it'd be cool to see you add a type effectiveness editor in much like here: http://wiki.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=313978

(he has source code so it shouldnt be too hard)

I replied via VM. I have already dealt with it. Just finishing up one last feature for v1.2 before I run testing.

I plan on it, just give me time.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
So I followed all of your instructions exactly to get MrDollSteak's rom working with your program, but I'm either missing something or something is wrong.

First, what do you instructions mean by 'navigate to 0xAC?' Is that in the context of all the inis, or just that specific rom? Your supposed to change BRPE to MrDS right? Does it matter if you do it in a text editor, or in a hex editor?

What happened what that I kept getting the error that said it kept trying to call a move from somewhere, but couldn't because the maximum number of moves was currently 375. I attempted to 'fix,' this limit, but there was precious little information on how. As I type, the error is gone, but the move names are not appearing/appearing as a bunch of garbled text. I have already tried reapplying the patch, resetting, etc. and have even tried digging through the hex data to find out what's wrong. Nothing.

Help? What am I doing wrong here? A more precise step-by-step on how to make the MrDS rom work would be greatly appreciated at the least.

karatekid552

Years
So I followed all of your instructions exactly to get MrDollSteak's rom working with your program, but I'm either missing something or something is wrong.

First, what do you instructions mean by 'navigate to 0xAC?' Is that in the context of all the inis, or just that specific rom? Your supposed to change BRPE to MrDS right? Does it matter if you do it in a text editor, or in a hex editor?

What happened what that I kept getting the error that said it kept trying to call a move from somewhere, but couldn't because the maximum number of moves was currently 375. I attempted to 'fix,' this limit, but there was precious little information on how. As I type, the error is gone, but the move names are not appearing/appearing as a bunch of garbled text. I have already tried reapplying the patch, resetting, etc. and have even tried digging through the hex data to find out what's wrong. Nothing.

Help? What am I doing wrong here? A more precise step-by-step on how to make the MrDS rom work would be greatly appreciated at the least.

First, get a clean rom you haven't hacked (to avoid any confusion) then apply his patch. Next, open it in a hex editor and go to offset 0xAC. (For future reference, when someone says go to offset 0xYYYYYY or something like that, they mean in a hex editor. There is no other way to do it.) Then on the side, you should see the converted text. Change BPRE to MrDS. Now it should load properly in G3HS.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
First, get a clean rom you haven't hacked (to avoid any confusion) then apply his patch. Next, open it in a hex editor and go to offset 0xAC. (For future reference, when someone says go to offset 0xYYYYYY or something like that, they mean in a hex editor. There is no other way to do it.) Then on the side, you should see the converted text. Change BPRE to MrDS. Now it should load properly in G3HS.

Oh, I was supposed to edit the ROM itself. I thought you were supposed to edit the ini. I managed to get it to work, thank you!

anonyboy

Pokemon Aerial Emerald Creator&Pokemon Hybrid Co-C
Years
About the sprite bug i realised that it occurs when you insert a sprite over an expanded slot/one of the limbos. Why? because they use 1 sprite for the amount of slots in each. when you insert a sprite and choose the fill with 0xff option, it cleans a sprite used for the other limbo slots\expanded mons.

BXL

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Would this tool allow me to Edit DoesntKnowHowToPlay's Physical Special Split Easier?

karatekid552

Years
Would this tool allow me to Edit DoesntKnowHowToPlay's Physical Special Split Easier?

Not that I know of....

About the sprite bug i realised that it occurs when you insert a sprite over an expanded slot/one of the limbos. Why? because they use 1 sprite for the amount of slots in each. when you insert a sprite and choose the fill with 0xff option, it cleans a sprite used for the other limbo slots\expanded mons.

It has been reported even without that. Those are the ones that confuse me......

I have included code in my latest dev version to check for shared pointers to the images. If it finds other mons using the same image, it will request confirmation before erasing and allow you to make the right choice.;)

Does anyone get the 'image has wrong mode' error? One user (and only one) keeps reporting it but I need to image to figure it out. The user that is has the user name on their Mac as homedepot326. If this is you, please contact me.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 26, 2016

Nope still doesn't for me. All my sprites (The Expanded Pokemon ones) turn into the pokemon as long as it's below the list. Even if I changed it or not.

Back