• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon GS Chronicles - [Build 2.7.3 Released 05/12/2024]

Do you agree the project to be rebooted using the Skeli's Complete Fire Red Upgrade?

• Yes. Do it!

Votes: 49 76.6%
  • Nah. Don't waste your time on this

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Days
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    I did run into a rather odd issue when attempting to use TM's. Running a clean copy of FireRed with the 2.7 beta patch on a 2dsXL.

Whenever I attempt to teach a 'Mon a TM, after clicking to use the TM, I just get a black screen. The music still continues in the background but the screen never returns. Admittedly, could be my own fault due to playing on the 2dsXL and the virtual Gameboy emulator there just not handling things but figured I'd bring it up

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • I did run into a rather odd issue when attempting to use TM's. Running a clean copy of FireRed with the 2.7 beta patch on a 2dsXL.

Whenever I attempt to teach a 'Mon a TM, after clicking to use the TM, I just get a black screen. The music still continues in the background but the screen never returns. Admittedly, could be my own fault due to playing on the 2dsXL and the virtual Gameboy emulator there just not handling things but figured I'd bring it up

As you mentioned, it most definitely sounds like an issue that stems from you playing this hack via an untested emulator on a console. Most GBA Rom hacks are beta tested using mGBA or Myboy!

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I wasn't using the speed up since I saw in the bug notes that it would cause issues, I was using VisualBoyAdvance what I normally use for all my roms but I made the switch to mGba for this particular game; locked the FPS at 60 in the settings and have only crashed 1 time since. Highly recommened to anyone who was experiencing the same issues of constant crashes.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    To the creator: Kudos on this game, it is coming along very nicely and I have been genuinely pleased with a lot of the alterations/changes made. Your iteration of the main story is my favorite that I've come across so far in a Johto rom, loving it. I'm very happy you decided to continue the project and hope you are doing well! :)

I'm currently on the Broadcast Tower Segment after the 7th Gym, and I wanted to notify you of some bugs I have encountered so far on my playtest of 2.7
    [[ I have come to edit after the completion of the game with some more notes and updates ]]

--- In Union Cave, Slowpoke Well, ect; any cave that has secondary levels that are accessible later in the game, the wild Pokemon inside are the Ghost from Lavender Town Tower in Gen 1 and the mon cannot be identified/battled. I'm pretty sure it's a bug due to there being no Silph Scope in Gen 2. The cries of the mons are those of what Pokemon it would be. Example, I'm on the second floor in Slowpoke Well and my first wild encounter is the Ghost but has Delibird cry.

--- Sometimes the HP bar of your lead pokemon will exceed its overall HP value, resulting in prologned survivability of the pokemon. If you happen to use a healing item on said Pokemon with glitch, the HP will keep filling and not stop unless you reset the game. (This is a very frequent occurance)

--- Some battle moves description are not accurate and/or not perfoming the described action. Example: Magma Geyser on Typhlosion says it has a chance to Burn but it instead Increases Special Attack (I love it but its insanely op), Mud Slap doesn't lower accuracy amongst other moves.

--- I noticed in some areas there is a patch of grass at the bottom of stairs, particularly on routes. This is more of a visual thing and not any hinderance to the game, I tested to see if the patch would proc a wild battle and it did not work. Example: Stairs near ace Trainer on the bottom left area of Blackthorn City.

--- Some Pokemon learnsets are not correct, particularly when it comes to learning TMs or moves from Tutors. Example: Annihilape cannot learn Elemental Punches/Rock Tomb/Earthquake but Primeape can.

--- These are the bugs I've noticed during my playthrough; other minor noteworthy bugs are due to VisualBoyAdvance Emulator. Best to use MGBA Emulator. I'll keep my eyes out for more on my next playthrough and update the post if you see this :)

******* ---New Major Bug Detected--- ***********

---- The Rocket Event in Goldenrod City (Radio Tower) event bugged and reset itself after I had already cleared the first portion. After clearing, I waited to do the second part (Petrel Fight) because I wanted to hunt for new party members. When I came back to Goldenrod City the Rocket Theme was not playing anymore, all the regular civilians returned except some Rocket Grunts guarding Whitneys Gym. I then went and battled Petrel to see if I could progress the event normally, I recieved the key item from Kris/Gold and went back to the Radio Tower and noticed Looker outside the door. When I spoke to him I noticed it was the same dialouge at the start of the event. When I went inside and tried to go upstairs, it was blocked by invisible bodies which turned out to be Silver and the Rocket Grunts again. Once I finished the battle, I cannot go past the security guard on the Second Floor to progress the event. It has broken my save file, luckily I had a backup pre-break but it cost me 7 hours and a full new party of Pokemon in the progress. Quite unfortunate. I believe the glitch is either due to time elapsed since the event started and/or visiting and leaving Goldenrod city too often after starting the event.

--------- Now for the minor issues that aren't bug related. These may be a bit nit picky, and I'm not suggesting these changes be implemented but more so constructive criticism. After completeing to game, my second point noted below is my biggest gripe with the game (Still a great game) ----------------

* First would be the level balancing of the wild Pokemon vs the Gym/Boss battle in the area you're in. One of the things Gen 2 always did poorly was have very poor level balancing, especially with wild encounters. While I like the improvements to the Gym Leaders/Boss Battles/Rival improvements in levels, it resulted in a bigger discreptency in the wild Pokemons levels. With no Lucky Egg, Audino/Chansey exp farm, you're relegated to grinding levels doing low level wild battles until your team is a match. I personally don't mind this having played much worse versions in mainline games, but a bump in levels for each zone would greatly benefit everyone. Example: 7th Gym has a team 45-48 if I recall correctly and the surrounding area has wild Pokemon in the 30s for training.

* Second would be the game difficulty, I personally find the game far too easy. I know it's not stated to be a difficulty hack, but some effort was clearly put in on increasing the difficulty because the Gym Leaders/Rivals/Boss users swap out Pokemon, use items ect. I personally would love if the game had difficulty settings, and the hardest difficulty would have all major battles have oppenents using a full team of 6, locked set battles and no using bag items. I've beaten 7 gyms so far and the only major fight I've had vs a full team of 6 was Kris/Ethan and that was by far the most enjoyable and difficult battle (Even though it was still easy). The current game feels like a perfect normal mode that any player can delve into and have a great time. A second mode, like a Radical mode for the more hardcore fans/nuzlockers would be incredible if implemented and highly increase replay value. After completing the game and having all Boss Fights, Gym Leaders and even Elite 4 only having teams of 5 was very underwhelming.

* Third kinda plays off my second issue a bit, as they kind of go hand in hand but it would be the tweaking of the teams trainers use in the game. While the implementation of a larger pokedex is incredibly awesome, especially the regional forms; the trainers teams have not shown much reflection with the increased pokedex. Perhaps if a increased difficulty is in the works and Major Battles uses teams of 6, an inclusion of some new Pokemon would be a welcomed sight. A good example would be Aloan Marowak for Morty Gym, would be really cool!

* Fourth would be the lack of prominent TMs. TMs like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Psychic ect are not available within the game unless you use cheats to add them in yourself. Trainers have Pokemon that know said moves, and occasionally a Pokemon may learn said move upon level up but others are not able to learn it due to there being no TM within the game. I don't particularly like using cheats in games, but this is a game where I did use some TM cheats once I realized these moves would not be obtainable.

* And Lastly, this one doesn't have as much impact and is more of a side note; but the Documentation that's currently available for the game is very out of date. Some of the changes that the documentation notes show, such as Granbull receiving a stat buff to 500 BST is not actually reflected within the game at all; it still has a 455 BST. Some type changes are noted, such as Ampharos being Electric/Dragon and others are not. There is also the issue with the now added regional forms, a new player will have no idea how said forms are obtainable unless scouring the internet and even then finding no answers. It should be noted that most of them are not obtainable until after the 6th gym completion, which is a pretty far way into the game. Example, I didn't get a Galarian Slowking until my Slowpoke was already level 41. I am also unable to find Hisuian Sneasel to get a Sneasler. I tried evolving a regular Sneasel with the Ancient Rock and it did not work.

All and all, these issues are all pretty minor in comparison to the great game you have made. I look forward to the true finished product that will hopefully include Kanto/Mt.Silver/Red :)

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerKonner

PkmnTrainer
    Years
    • Seen today
    I wasn't using the speed up since I saw in the bug notes that it would cause issues, I was using VisualBoyAdvance what I normally use for all my roms but I made the switch to mGba for this particular game; locked the FPS at 60 in the settings and have only crashed 1 time since. Highly recommened to anyone who was experiencing the same issues of constant crashes.

How do I change it to 60 fps?

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2023
    i miss radio card in early game, now i stuck in goldenrod tower with rocket team in 2F floor can't move up to 3F floor, anybody help me

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    If you have mGba, if you go to "Audio/Video" then in the middle section you should see a setting called "FPS Target", in there set it to 60.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I'd switch emulators if you can, your save file will transfer. VBA is really bad for GS Chronicles for some reason.

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2023
    i miss radio card in early game, now i stuck in goldenrod tower with rocket team in 2F floor can't move up to 3F floor, anybody help me

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thought I'd mention an oddity, whenever an opposing Pokémon uses mud slap, it lowers speed instead of accuracy.

Have you checked if that happens with other Accuracy-lower moves? Maybe they banned Accuracy/Evasion strats like in Radical Red and adjusted related moves and Abilities accordingly. Or maybe it's just a Mud Shot / Mud Slap mix up.

Days
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023
    Good Hack. The main problem is that there is no docs or register anywhere about the changes or where some import things in game are.

Last edited:
    Back