• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon HOME to be compatible with SV on 23 May

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
Years
  • Wondered how the game would handle Tera types for Pokemon from past generations. Appears to select the Pokemon's first listed type. Noticed one exception: Normal type. Prioritizes the other typing, in that case. Gets Tera: Water for Whiscash (Water/Ground), but a Tera: Fairy for Wigglytuff (Normal/Fairy). Feels okay with this.

Moves: Tested it out with a level 100 Azelf. Taught it Grass Knot via TR in Sword. Moveset: Explosion, Dazzling Gleam, Nasty Plot, and Grass Knot.

Moved it into Home. No change.
    Moved it from Home to Sword. No change.
    Moved it back into Home. No change, unsurprisingly.
    Moved it into Scarlet. Orange circle and new moveset: Future Sight, Last Resort, Explosion, and Mystical Power (see: its last four level-up moves). Must select the Pokemon individually and choose "Change Moves" to put Grass Knot back on.

Regained the original moveset after moving it from Scarlet back to Home and saving changes, interestingly.

Abilities: See this note on Serebii. Might apply here.

Thank you for sharing what info you could track down. I did see an orange disc symbol over Greninja before I sent him to Violet now that you mention it. I moved him back and forth between Home and Paldea, and while i can see the icon, I don't see the option to change the moves while in Home, at least not in the version on the switch, and he didn't regain the learnset he lost, but at least i have enough of the TM moves to reteach the moves he forgot.

Something that I wanted to mention is that my Greninja wasn't turned to a hidden ability one with the ability patch. He was protean back in XY before the item had been introduced, bred from what i think was a friend safari frogadier, he has been in Home since gen 7 and had no access to the patch before now. He should have been okay to move in, but evidently there is some other mechanic going on that i don't understand yet. Still I appreciate knowing though that pokemon using ability patches or capsules get reset to their previous abilities when transferred between games. Since I was going to give Greninja the patch soon with the help of a kind friend to change him back, I will be careful about moving him in future, and other mons that have taken the medicine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Something that I wanted to mention is that my Greninja wasn't turned to a hidden ability one with the ability patch. He was protean back in XY before the item had been introduced, bred from what i think was a friend safari frogadier, he has been in Home since gen 7 and had no access to the patch before now. He should have been okay to move in, but evidently there is some other mechanic going on that i don't understand yet. Still I appreciate knowing though that pokemon that use ability patches or capsules get reset to their previous abilities when transferred between games. Since I was going to give Greninja the patch soon with the help of a kind friend to change him back, I will be careful about moving him in future, and other mons that have taken the medicine.

Hm. Not sure why, then. Wondered if it had something to do with the change to Protean. Cannot test either Protean or a Friend Safari HA directly. Tried the next closest thing: a Sword/Shield Cinderace with Libero. Functions identically in battle. Held onto Libero, though. Shrugs.

Unrelated to the above issue: Remembered that several previously unobtainable egg moves are now available in Scarlet/Violet. Now allows:
    • Psyduck + Spoink: Simple Beam
    • Kanto Growlithe: Raging Fury
    • Johto Qwilfish: Barb Barrage
    • Stantler: Psyshield Bash
    • Happiny: Heal Bell
    • Rellor: Cosmic Power

Just tested Simple Beam. Bred it onto a Psyduck in Sword. Transferred it to Scarlet (making sure to hold onto Simple Beam). Started a picnic with that Psyduck and a Golduck (with a Mirror Herb). Successfully learned Simple Beam.

Edit: Another discovery: Cannot evolve Hisuian Qwilfish in Scarlet/Violet. Used 20 Barb Barrages. Nothing. Requires 20 Strong Style Barb Barrages in Legends: Arceus. Apparently continues that to the letter.

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I'm happy to say that I moved some of my Pokémon from Pokémon HOME to Pokémon Violet the moment I was able to after the update! I was excited to finally be able to use so many of my old Pokémon after such a long time. However, I must say that the new update is pretty bad. Many of the animations of the transferred Pokémon are glitched and choppy. For example, I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, but my Arceus that I transferred has a very strange walking animation as if it is glitched or something. In addition, from what I noticed when battling against other players using these Pokémon, the Pokémon's animations are choppy during certain times when displaying the Pokémon, especially when battles end, and the frame rate seems to drop. It seems like a new patch is in order!

Back