• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Kanlara Ultimate (21/01/2020 - New Patch Out)

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    I caught Rotom-F in this game, which is an Ice-type, but I can't teach it Ice Beam and it won't learn any Ice-type moves through leveling yet. Can it get any Ice moves?
    It should learn Blizzard at least as a TM, maybe as a level up too.

hey i am playing and enjoying the game, i took the ultimate version, i watched some Walkthrough (dated april 19)
    it had lots of stuff i didnt had (the custom pickachu and some items as well)

will be like 1 complete game at the end and would the save files be playable?
    Yeah that's basically the idea. So what I actually wanted to do initially was make an update for the Remastered version of the game, but that didn't work out so I decided to just incorporate some of the good elements from
    Remastered into Ultimate and so when I'm done with this update Kanlara Ultimate will be bigger than ever before and have some of the things that were missing from Remastered such as the hat Pikachu, and more.

Is there a place to revive fossils in this game?
    No, there could be, but they are available in the wild instead. For example Kabuto and Omanyte can be found really early on by fishing in Moss Cavern with a good rod.

Based on the preview, is this a postgame you're working on?
    Yes, I am working on a postgame, The Wilds is one of those areas you can visit later on. You don't necessarily have to beat the League before you can access these areas though, however some of these areas will provide more
    challenging opponents than the League itself, so it's recommended you save those for last.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Glad to here another Kanlara is coming back, easily one of the best 3rd gen hacks on the site. Good luck Sakakii!

Outwitter

You reap what you plant...
    Years
  • Will Primarina be drafted into this hack since you are merging some stuffs of remastered with ultimate? If yes, then will you fix its typing this time? Just curious you know! 😀

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    Will the saves of the current version of the game work with this upcoming update?
    I would advice starting a new save file, since so many things are being changed. This is especially important if you're mid-game, since the badge order is getting changed, with Florina Town being added and there being
    a Gym there.
    Will Primarina be drafted into this hack since you are merging some stuffs of remastered with ultimate? If yes, then will you fix its typing this time? Just curious you know! 😀
    I thought for sure I added her... looks like I only added the Rowlet line out of Alola starters, lol. ... You like Rowlet, don't you?

On a more serious note I could add Primarina but I have an issue to work out first. For some reason PGE is only reading even-numbered expanded Pokemon that I added. .. Which means instead of 100 new Pokemon, I've only
    been able to add and edit 50 so far. Not sure if it's just PGE being weird or I messed up somewhere when expanding, lol. Either way I'll look into this more... I want to add even more Pokemon, haha.

Last edited:

Outwitter

You reap what you plant...
    Years
  • I would advice starting a new save file, since so many things are being changed. This is especially important if you're mid-game, since the badge order is getting changed, with Florina Town being added and there being
    a Gym there.

I thought for sure I added her... looks like I only added the Rowlet line out of Alola starters, lol. ... You like Rowlet, don't you?

On a more serious note I could add Primarina but I have an issue to work out first. For some reason PGE is only reading even-numbered expanded Pokemon that I added. .. Which means instead of 100 new Pokemon, I've only
    been able to add and edit 50 so far. Not sure if it's just PGE being weird or I messed up somewhere when expanding, lol. Either way I'll look into this more... I want to add even more Pokemon, haha.

I like Rowlet line alright but I love Primarina bro! Please do justice with her 🙏🏼 Also, why not adding Litten line too. These starters are awesome, aren't they?

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2019
    is there a way to evolve kirlia in gallade? or am i going to have to stick with gardevoir?

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    Okay so, would anyone be sad if Demon Yanma was removed from the game? I'm going over the list of Demon Pokemon right now and Demon Yanma and also Demon Porygon stand out as weird choices - they're both
    NFE and, unlike say Porygon2, there's no downside to evolving them. So people will just evolve them and not be able to see their Demon form. I'm looking to replace them with Demon Pokemon from Remastered. I'm also curious; did anyone ever use those in a playthrough?

I like Rowlet line alright but I love Primarina bro! Please do justice with her 🙏🏼 Also, why not adding Litten line too. These starters are awesome, aren't they?
    Yes, they are awesome. I will see if Primarina can make it but it seems unlikely right now. The main issue besides limited slots is that I don't want too many starters in the game.
    is there a way to evolve kirlia in gallade? or am i going to have to stick with gardevoir?
    So as someone already mentioned, Gallade doesn't exist (In Ultimate). I will put Gallade in the game in the next update.. but for now yes you are stuck with Gardevoir.

Trainer 766

Okay so, would anyone be sad if Demon Yanma was removed from the game? I'm going over the list of Demon Pokemon right now and Demon Yanma and also Demon Porygon stand out as weird choices - they're both
    NFE and, unlike say Porygon2, there's no downside to evolving them. So people will just evolve them and not be able to see their Demon form. I'm looking to replace them with Demon Pokemon from Remastered. I'm also curious; did anyone ever use those in a playthrough?
    Look, Demon Pokémon are badass concepts, we know that. And unfortunately, all the quality Pokémon you have such in this game such as Volcarona or Toucannon outshine them in terms of uses. You've got cries, movesets, beautiful sprites, and just everything about them that makes them lovable by a typical fan. How does this make your Demon Pokémon look obsolete, in my eyes? Well, let's not blame the canon Pokémon because you really did a good job with them. What you really messed up was your own original concept in several questionable ways.

1) Making a ton of Demon Pokèmon but only limiting the player to a single one each playthrough. The problem here is: you have many Demon Pokémon, and when that happens, there are bound to be tiers as to which are useful and which are best abandoned, and when that happens, don't even bring the usefulness of D. Pory or D. Yanma into question when you already have D. Lapras or D. Zapdos.

2) Broken for all the wrong reasons. No, please, get this; there is no point in making a move with over a hundred BP if you're gonna make the accuracy as low as 60%. There is no point of making "King's Dance" when it boosts both of your offenses (D. Kingdra doesn't do well as a mixed attacker) but lowers the accuracy. There is no point of making an attack that raises my already high speed but only deals 75 BP, which is equivalent to nothing as a Demon type move.

3) Perhaps the most unpleasant one; the sprites. I have had suggested before, just take a sprite pass Gen 3 and recolour them. Majority would agree that the sprites you use here for horror purposes are misconducted and misplaced. We don't feel intimidated, we feel weirded out by seeing a badly shaded outdated sprite in what is supposedly a QoL game. So, no. Big no to the sprites.

You have their designs as the problem, you have their usability as the problem, you have metagame as the problem. At this point, I'd rather collect Gen 4+ mons, because that's where you really nailed it.

I'm not saying you should remove Demon Pokémon and solely make the gameplay based around canon Pokémon. Demon Pokémon is awesome and revolutionary, I admit. However, you executed it in all the wrong ways. Give us a pleasure in using Demon Pokémon so it isn't just something we laugh at for its sprite and signature move. The current conceptualisation of Demon Pokémon you have is Quantity>Quality content; there are so many of them but the only practical reason as to why anyone would use it is "oh because it's cool" and even that is pragmatic. Make them loveable, not just some forgettable faces that have no actual benefits aside from looking strong, when in practicality they are broken to no avail.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I wanted to like this game, but I feel like a few things early game worthy of note that turned me away from the game are to be mentioned

There was a random NPC in a cave after the second gym that mentions that he overleveled his pokemon, and threw out a level 39 elektrik - There should be no point in this being a thing at all, when my pokemon at this point were around level 15-18.

There's the whole thing with the third gym having a Thundurus as the "signature" pokemon - not exactly sure why that was your go-to choice for that, I understand the concept of the leader in question being a sage, having non-humanly powers, but as a gym leader, surely he would realize his "challengers" can't take on a Thundurus - I was only able to beat it with a mixture of hypnosis and confuse hax from my spiritomb - I was willing to look past this, it just felt poorly planned at this point, but usually rom hacks get better in later game.

and then there was Giovanni's Skyscraper or whatever it's called - you have two completely different ways of failing here - one is being caught by employees and being kicked out, the other is being caught by "guards" and being beat out. Why? Why is there a need for guards with level 62 arcanine? It's almost like you took whatever tool you used for this bit, and just typed two numbers and said, "Yeah that'll work!" when in reality, it doesn't. It's not fun, and I don't appreciate trying to puzzle my way through this, getting caught in the NPCs periodically, and then realizing that i'd blown through 16,000 of my 24,500 prize money on loses to these insta-wipe NPCs due to them taking a significant chunk per lose.

I understand this is meant to be difficult, but there's a fine line between difficult and a nuisance, you crossed that line.

With that said, your a rare case where a ROM hacker does finish their projects these days - I just think this needs a lot of polish.

This is meant as constructive criticism, not a rage post, I will gladly discuss further - but as a general rule of thumb, difficulty doesn't have to be implemented in the way you've done it.

I wish you luck!

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    There's the whole thing with the third gym having a Thundurus as the "signature" pokemon - not exactly sure why that was your go-to choice for that

and then there was Giovanni's Skyscraper or whatever it's called - you have two completely different ways of failing here

Not to say that you're wrong, it's your opinion. For the Thundurus, it's tolerable if you take advantage of the options the game gives you, near the gym even. The power plant is near there and you can get an Elekid or Electabuzz, and eventually that becomes an Electivire. The city where that gym leader is at has an Ice Punch move tutor. See where I'm going with this? That's how I beat him in 2-3 attempts. Electivire was the key for that.

Giovanni's Skyscraper, yeah that's ridiculous, but I used save states. I'm not ashamed of that.

You focused on early-game stuff, I think the Champion is the closest thing to a detestable aspect of the game. There's a feeling of victory and pride for beating him, but holy cow it was a nightmare. The grinding spot late in the game is appreciated, but I wish the levels were higher, still took a while to grind.

I enjoyed the hack overall, the further removed from it, the more I appreciate its challenge. I'm looking forward to the update.

Years
  • Not to say that you're wrong, it's your opinion. For the Thundurus, it's tolerable if you take advantage of the options the game gives you, near the gym even. The power plant is near there and you can get an Elekid or Electabuzz, and eventually that becomes an Electivire. The city where that gym leader is at has an Ice Punch move tutor. See where I'm going with this? That's how I beat him in 2-3 attempts. Electivire was the key for that.

Giovanni's Skyscraper, yeah that's ridiculous, but I used save states. I'm not ashamed of that.

You focused on early-game stuff, I think the Champion is the closest thing to a detestable aspect of the game. There's a feeling of victory and pride for beating him, but holy cow it was a nightmare. The grinding spot late in the game is appreciated, but I wish the levels were higher, still took a while to grind.

I enjoyed the hack overall, the further removed from it, the more I appreciate its challenge. I'm looking forward to the update.

Perhaps I focused to much on the early game, it's rather frustrating but I might be able to give it another go at least.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    Hi everyone. I'm aiming for a release for this update on this friday.

This update... it's pretty big, a lot bigger than I anticipated when I first started working on it. Still, I wasn't able to add everything I wanted. But I think it's important, for me, that I get this out now. Anyway, I think you guys are going to love this update, honestly, I'm super stoked myself. I'll be doing a classic 'patch notes' style type of update come friday and if everything goes well the update should be out then.

I don't wanna reveal too much right now but here is one thing I've worked on;

The library once again can be used to check out a selection of the Demon Pokemon available in the game.

So as you can see some Demon Pokemon from Remastered are returning. I've carefully selected ones that I think look really good and would be popular, like Ninetales, and I've updated some sprites that were mis-shaded as well.

Okay, see you guys friday for the next update!

(I also wanna add that I do read this thread, and I appreciate all the comments. Very interesting to learn about people's different perspectives on the game, and sorry that I can't reply to everyone but I do read your posts.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2022
    so i just discovered this game and its great so far, but i only just beat the first gym. in your opinion, should i wait to keep going until you release the new update?

also: did you mean to use the japanese name for fletchinder? just wondering; i actually think its a cool little thing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    Welcome to the patch notes for Pokémon Kanlara Ultimate - The 2019 Autumn Update

I've been working intensively on this update. Originally, I just wanted to update KA: Remastered - that didn't pan out, so I decided to bring some of the cool things from Remastered into Ultimate. The focus has been new content - I've gotten feedback saying that while Ultimate is overall an enjoyable experience, it's a bit short. There'll be more things to do now, even if most of these are optional. I've tried not to change much - messing with the level
    curve, or item distribution, things like that, was not on my mind. My goal is that you should find this version of the game as enjoyable as you did the previous version - but with more stuff to do. If I somehow made the game less
    enjoyable for you, then I've failed.

As a side-note, please understand that while I've play-tested to ensure that things work the way I want them to - it's possible that I've missed things. If you feel like something isn't working the way it should, don't hesitate to let me and others know in this very thread.

Highlights:

- Level-up lists for Gen 3 Pokémon have been updated to Gen 7 (US/UM) standard
    - Sprites for nearly all Gen 3 Pokémon have been updated to Gen 4-style sprites

Screenshots:

These men disappear as soon as you enter Kanja City, meaning you have access to the Boulevard at the start of the game, for additional exp and a wider selection of Pokémon to choose from. Cyndaquil can be found here.

This is a never-before-seen area leading up to the Spring Resort - an optional post/late-game area. This one goes all the way up to Lv. 80ish, but you can clear parts of it at lower levels.

Another optional late-game area ranging from levels 55-70 called The Blessed Isle - or was it Cursed? Anyway, you'll find a clan of people called The Forsaken here - You can do quests for them to earn rep and gain access
    to unique items.
    Spoiler:

Here's a few screens to show off how it works.... speak to NPC, accept quest, complete quest, get reward. Simple, right? Oh but what's that... Dark Gem's are back?

Dark Gem can be collected from wild Sableye - low drop chance, but once you have 10 you can exchange them for the returning item The Black Crown in the upper section of the Nahara Town Library. The Black Crown is a replica of the Demon Gem - it can be used to Demon Ascend your Pokémon into their demon forme, if they have one. A few from KA: Remastered are returning, such as this one.

For the first time ever, you can undo what has been done. By purchasing a Pure Crystal from a girl in the upper section of The Nahara Town library, you'll be able to de-evolve Demon's to their base form... you can do some cool things with this, like learn a cool move and then de-evolve because you prefer the previous typing, or whatever.

Found in The Blessed Isle and elsewhere, there are now TM Master's in the game - they'll sell some of the strongest TM's, but they'll make you pay so don't bring an empty wallet.

Legendary Pokémon that didn't have a proper OW event encounter and were just lazily available as wild Pokémon after beating the League - now have proper OW encounters. Some Legendary Pokémon from KA: Remastered
    return, as well...

The world map has been updated to show the new areas - as you can see, there's a lot of areas to explore in this version of Kanlara.

I don't have the exact number, but between 40-50 new Pokémon have been added to the game. Ah yes, there are new Demon Pokémon, too. These mostly appear later in the game. Wild distribution has been almost entirely unchanged - let's not fix what's not broken.

The Badge order has been altered to imitate KA: Remastered. You can still take on Woke's Gym, but you won't get a badge for doing so. Later in the game, you'll have to head to Florina Town for a very tough Gym battle - and
    your 6th badge.

Download: In the attachments of the first post - patch with a clean US FireRed 1.0 rom.

FAQ:
    Spoiler:

Oddities:
    Spoiler:

Bugs:
    Spoiler:

Back