• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    I really love the color variation idea, and even if a sorta funky looking one appears... well, all the more reason to catch it, I guess! None of the examples in the +4 looked bad, so you might be good to go unless there's something else that needs fixed.

The whole thing kinda reminds me of the alternate colors in Pokemon Stadium. Though those were based off of nicknames...

It'd also be kinda cool to have something that changed the color of your pokemon, though that's probably a fair bit harder to put in.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I really love the color variation idea, and even if a sorta funky looking one appears... well, all the more reason to catch it, I guess! None of the examples in the +4 looked bad, so you might be good to go unless there's something else that needs fixed.

The whole thing kinda reminds me of the alternate colors in Pokemon Stadium. Though those were based off of nicknames...

It'd also be kinda cool to have something that changed the color of your pokemon, though that's probably a fair bit harder to put in.

Colors are based on DVs, so making them changeable would be kind of weird. Although, I do plan to add Hyper Training, which will boost individual DVs to the maximum 15. This will end up affecting colors and Hidden Power types. (I know that's not how it works in Sun/Moon, but there's no room for separate "Hyper Trained" flags for all six DVs, plus I like the idea that Hyper Training is a euphemism for CRISPR-style genetic engineering, side-effects and all.)

passarbye

Just passin' thru
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2017
    When I allow color channels to vary by ?4, these are some of the possibilities:

Are these too garish? Should I stick with the ?3 limit from before?
    I like these (?4) a lot better than the ?3 limit, at least I can see some good variance and color differences, whereas with the ?3 I can barely even tell a difference.
    :15:

edit: also with the DVs affecting the color after hyper training, why not just set the color to stay the same even if the DVs change? Like, have it remember or only affect the color on initial spawn (grass encounter).

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    When I allow color channels to vary by ?4, these are some of the possibilities:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

That's definitely too much imo. I vote going back to ?3. Also, did you see my post before about the Goldenrod port? Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Just a totally random thought for the Squirtle animation, but perhaps its sunglasses could shine as it crosses its arms. That's totally Squirtle Squad-esque. :P

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
    Years
  • When I allow color channels to vary by ?4, these are some of the possibilities:

These are, without a doubt, awesome. I honestly could barely tell that there were any changes with most of the ?3.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    That's definitely too much imo. I vote going back to ?3. Also, did you see my post before about the Goldenrod port? Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

For what it's worth, here's the difference between VBA's Real and GameBoy color modes for high-variance Gyarados. I expect BGB's default color settings would be in-between.

I think I'll stick with the higher variance, since emulator settings will already vary the colors more than the per-individual differences.

And thanks for the reminder about Goldenrod, it's a good point.

Edit: The starters are probably the best example of how color variation will look. They're three primary colors, and you receive them first.

To me the only one that looks arguably wrong is the greenish-yellow Typhlosion (too reminiscent of a shiny color), and even that is okay compared to some of the colors in G/S's sprites.

Also, note that a Pok?mon with all perfect 15 DVs will also have the default colors. (Same goes for 0, 5, or 10.)

Last edited:
    Colors are based on DVs, so making them changeable would be kind of weird. Although, I do plan to add Hyper Training, which will boost individual DVs to the maximum 15. This will end up affecting colors and Hidden Power types. (I know that's not how it works in Sun/Moon, but there's no room for separate "Hyper Trained" flags for all six DVs, plus I like the idea that Hyper Training is a euphemism for CRISPR-style genetic engineering, side-effects and all.)

While Hyper Training is cool and all, losing my unique Pokemon colors would make that a no go for me, especially if max DVs use the default colors. Like, that pink Mewtwo from your first screenshots was super cool and too good to give up. Since people are going to Hyper Train all their stats to max anyway, maybe you could use a spare bit somewhere in a Pokemon's data structure to force the game to calculate stats as if they were max, without actually changing the DVs, thus preserving the color palette. I see little point in Hyper Training the stats individually, as no one is going to want weird stat values for competitive (it's a ROMHack and I don't believe things like Trick Room or Foul Play are in), and if they did they would just open up the memory viewer and cheat. Doing it this way avoids the situation where you need 6 bits to denote Hyper Training, and it would preserve Hidden Power and color variation (and anything else still tied to DVs).

With these color variations, I can foresee myself capturing Pokemon that I've already captured or otherwise have no interest in just for the cool color changes they have. Hell, I might even dump a team member to bring one that I find in. I think this feature will make a majority (or, at least, more) of the wild battles interesting for me, which will be great for replayability and overall engagement. Imagine a Pokemon game where you intentionally skip Repels!

Question, when you choose your starter, would it be feasible to make the popup sprite of it correct in its color palette? So, like, generate the DVs of each starter when you check the Poke Balls for the first time and use those values in the display? Would be cool for people who may shamelessly soft reset for interesting color changes (like me, because I'm weird. That purple-flowered Meganium from your picture was pretty cool.)

Actually, how will this work where Pokemon are displayed? Does the game generate dummy DVs when displaying Pokemon in the Pokedex? Will they just be default colors in there?

Years
  • I do agree that color variation is indeed cool! However, having the variance tied to DVs is kind of a double-edged sword, as you already made the great effort to somewhat decouple shiny palletes from fixed EV values, so we can have "meta-valuable" Pokemon and now the variation mechanism just incorporates that mechanic back! As you said all 0, 5, 10 and 15 DV Pokemon would have their normal pallettes then screening for those becomes "sightly" easier. Also (and an apology if this is not so relevant), why do you plan to introduce Hyper Training coupled with the color variation mechanic? That also defeats the whole purpose of make things unique!

Also, I'm curious about a possible creation of a novel metagame based in your hack, specially because emulators in Android and PC do allow for end-to-end communication between players... But as long as that objective is not within the scope of your hack then makes Hyper Training not a priority to implement, as even with refined AI NPCs the need for perfect Pokemon in-game is not crucial to complete the game.

Thanks a lot for all your effort!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    While Hyper Training is cool and all, losing my unique Pokemon colors would make that a no go for me, especially if max DVs use the default colors. Like, that pink Mewtwo from your first screenshots was super cool and too good to give up. Since people are going to Hyper Train all their stats to max anyway, maybe you could use a spare bit somewhere in a Pokemon's data structure to force the game to calculate stats as if they were max, without actually changing the DVs, thus preserving the color palette. I see little point in Hyper Training the stats individually, as no one is going to want weird stat values for competitive (it's a ROMHack and I don't believe things like Trick Room or Foul Play are in), and if they did they would just open up the memory viewer and cheat. Doing it this way avoids the situation where you need 6 bits to denote Hyper Training, and it would preserve Hidden Power and color variation (and anything else still tied to DVs).

With these color variations, I can foresee myself capturing Pokemon that I've already captured or otherwise have no interest in just for the cool color changes they have. Hell, I might even dump a team member to bring one that I find in. I think this feature will make a majority (or, at least, more) of the wild battles interesting for me, which will be great for replayability and overall engagement. Imagine a Pokemon game where you intentionally skip Repels!

I do agree that color variation is indeed cool! However, having the variance tied to DVs is kind of a double-edged sword, as you already made the great effort to somewhat decouple shiny palletes from fixed EV values, so we can have "meta-valuable" Pokemon and now the variation mechanism just incorporates that mechanic back! As you said all 0, 5, 10 and 15 DV Pokemon would have their normal pallettes then screening for those becomes "sightly" easier. Also (and an apology if this is not so relevant), why do you plan to introduce Hyper Training coupled with the color variation mechanic? That also defeats the whole purpose of make things unique!

You know, that's a good point about Hyper Training. I planned to introduce it months ago, and this DV-coloring thing is new.

So, new plan:

• Use the single free bit in the Pok?mon data structure for a Hyper Trained flag.
    • Put Mr. Hyper somewhere in Kanto or Shamouti Island, and limit Hyper Training to level 100. (Any suggestions where he might live? Saffron and Celadon have a couple unused houses, but
    • The six Stat Trainers, instead of Hyper Training individual DVs, will give you the EV-enhancing Power items, and they'll have rematchable teams optimized for EV training their particular stat.

Question, when you choose your starter, would it be feasible to make the popup sprite of it correct in its color palette? So, like, generate the DVs of each starter when you check the Poke Balls for the first time and use those values in the display? Would be cool for people who may shamelessly soft reset for interesting color changes (like me, because I'm weird. That purple-flowered Meganium from your picture was pretty cool.)

Actually, how will this work where Pokemon are displayed? Does the game generate dummy DVs when displaying Pokemon in the Pokedex? Will they just be default colors in there?[/quote

Sprites of individual Pok?mon, including the popup ones when you use HMs, will show their unique colors and shininess. Sprites of generic species, including Pok?dex pictures and the starter-choosing ones, use the default colors. The stats are not generated until you choose a Pok?mon, so unfortunately I can't preview the starters.

Also, I'm curious about a possible creation of a novel metagame based in your hack, specially because emulators in Android and PC do allow for end-to-end communication between players... But as long as that objective is not within the scope of your hack then makes Hyper Training not a priority to implement, as even with refined AI NPCs the need for perfect Pokemon in-game is not crucial to complete the game.

That would be cool! I've put a lot of thought into the available moves and items, and some Pok?mon have been buffed to make them more competitive.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    Smeargle's got that fancy elemental paint. Kinda makes me wonder if something can like that can be done for Porygon and Conversion? The only real time we ever saw that in action was pokemon snap since Porygon never shows up in the anime anymore.

Gotta say this is turning into a fun little feature. It'll make everyone's end game teams even more varied.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    To be clear, it's not changing color based on move. I just gave that trainer three Smeargles with custom DVs chosen to make them a certain color, and movesets appropriate to those colors.

Exp. Share is given by Prof. Oak's aide in Cliff Edge Gate, and sold in Celadon Dept. Store.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Just been on a much deserved last second holiday (and I must apologise for disappearing in the middle of spriting, I'll get back to that). I've gotta say it's great to see PC featured and congratulations!
    The colour variations are an inspired idea, look great, and as someone else mentioned are reminiscent of Stadium, can't wait to see what's next!

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    When I allow color channels to vary by ±4, these are some of the possibilities:

Are these too garish? Should I stick with the ±3 limit from before?
    The previous one was barely noticeable, this is better.
    Actually, even more variation would be good; reminds me of Pokemon Stadium, I got a greenish-pikachu in that game, not that radical a change but still rather noticeable.

Personally, for my own hack I went with completely different colors, but that's just me; doing it that way gives no guarantee it'll look good, although I rather enjoy having both pink and blue pikachus in one hack.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2017
    Helo everyone,please tell to me how to destroy the rock before door in ruins of alph and route 47. I can not pass them. Sorry I use English not good

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    Helo everyone,please tell to me how to destroy the rock before door in ruins of alph and route 47. I can not pass them. Sorry I use English not good
    You have to catch all types of Unown, then talk to the scientists in the lab outside the ruins, that will unlock this passage and the one in cliff edge gate (in the left of quiet cave).

Back