• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition - Updated November 1, 2020!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
Cool hack. Do the front sprites use the Blue versions when they match better, or fully embrace the Spaceworld graphics?

For anyone stumbling on this thread who doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's what I mean with two particularly visible examples where it's not just a matching pose, but the design changed:
JvQUDaa.png

Pokémon 2 in red, Blue in... blue.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
It's been a year since the last update, but now Red★ and Blue★ have some new features!

• Use Space World graphics for Surfing, trading, and party icons
  • Align sprites with tiles on the overworld and Town Map
  • Use R/B sprites for a few Pokémon to match their Space World back sprites: Spearow, Persian, Shellder, Magneton, Gastly, and Gengar
  • Use SteppoBlazer's old man back sprite

So, Crazy Primeape Lady, the answer to your question is now "yes". ;) Except for cases like Venomoth and Ditto: when the R/B sprite technically matches the back sprite better, but the Space World front sprite was not carried over to G/S/C, then I kept it anyway for the novelty.

af04vyw.png

Check out the top post for patch download links!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
What is the difference between Red and Blue if the two have the same Pokémon?

Pokémon exclusive to Red are simply more common in Red★, and vice-versa. Also their SGB border graphics are different, and other small graphical differences (like the slot machines).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 5, 2022
Hi Rangi, first of all, thanks for this hack.. i really searched a lot and eventually find it now. I already played it and collect all 151 (i used rare candys for levelup)
my question is.. i would like to change some trainer pokemons (gym, elite4, teamrocket etc.) but all tools i used did not worked.. can you help me please?

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hi Rangi, first of all, thanks for this hack.. i really searched a lot and eventually find it now. I already played it and collect all 151 (i used rare candys for levelup)
my question is.. i would like to change some trainer pokemons (gym, elite4, teamrocket etc.) but all tools i used did not worked.. can you help me please?

You can build your own copy of the ROM from its source code by following the INSTALL.md instructions. But before the step where you run make to make the ROM file, you can edit any of the .asm files. For example, data/trainer_parties.asm has the trainers' names and party Pokémon.

Hey Rangi, I just wanted to ask if there's a difficulty increase in Space Red or maybe a much smarter AI than the vanilla games.

FEATURES.md lists all the changes, including better movesets for boss trainers. No level or AI updates.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2020
Hi, I'm trying to modify the trainer's party following the instructions on INSTALL.md (I have windows 10), unfortunately when I insert the commands on the Cygwin terminal, this happens:
fatal unable to access 'https.... etc': Could not resolve host: github.com.
I specify that I copied the version 0.4.0 rgbds in the folder C: \ cygwin64 \ usr \ local \ bin
Thanks

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Another Gen 2 leak, another Red★/Blue★ release. =) The Space World '99 ROMs had some updated graphics from '97 that still didn't make it to final Gold and Silver, so now they can be experienced here.

oiEYRYg.png

• Use Space World sprites for Lorelei, Agatha, and Giovanni
  • Use Yellow sprites for Brock, Misty, Erika, and your rival
  • Use Space World tiles for Route 23 and Indigo Plateau
  • Fix super-effective and not very effective move sounds (a Gen 1 bug)

Check out the top post for patch download links!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
Hey Rangi is there any way to implement pikachu following you? Or have you thought about making a space world yellow edition?

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hey Rangi is there any way to implement pikachu following you? Or have you thought about making a space world yellow edition?

There was going to be a following Pokémon feature in Gen 2... but I think the necessary graphics to support any Pokémon, or even just any starter, would be too "custom".

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 29, 2020
I'm almost done with the game, almost perfect, the gengar is sprite from the old red and blue, not the gold version 97, if it were like version 97, it would be perfect.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I'm almost done with the game, almost perfect, the gengar is sprite from the old red and blue, not the gold version 97, if it were like version 97, it would be perfect.

That's because the SW97 back sprite looks more like the Blue front sprite than the SW97 front sprite. (Some other SW sprites are like that as well; the fronts were redrawn to final or near-final G/S appearances before the backs.)

7gfzffz.png

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
This is a really cool hack, thank you for making it. I wanted to ask, is there any chance you could release a version that preserves the QOL updates without the spaceworld aesthetic changes (except maybe the backsprites)? I ask because there really isn't a "conservative" QOL hack for Gen I that I know of. Red++ is really neat, but it changes things to the point of not really feeling like a Gen I game anymore. What I'd like is something like Pokemon Throwback for Gen I: A QOL hack that doesn't mess with Pokemon data and maintains compatibility with the actual Gen I games.

uZ1

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen yesterday
Awsome hack. I really enjoyed it.
I have a suggestion. Can you also add a the female trainer Green (not Leaf) as selectable protagonist? Similar to this: https://github.com/mahoushoujorose/pkmnplusgreen
The unused character would fit in this hack really good since she's existing in many artworks and Manga.

Last edited:
Back